Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,992 members, 7,873,198 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 09:45 AM

Stop Castigating Looters Publicly – Okogie Tells Buhari - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Stop Castigating Looters Publicly – Okogie Tells Buhari (971 Views)

Afenifere, Okogie, Babatope, Others Reply Oyegun: "Buhari Will Lose 2019 If... / Economy: Some People Have Made Castigating Buhari Their Pastime – Lai Mohammed / Buhari, Your Change Is Causing Despondency – Okogie (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Stop Castigating Looters Publicly – Okogie Tells Buhari by catchfun: 8:26am On Sep 01, 2015
Renowned cleric and former President of the Christian Association of Nigeria, Anthony Cardinal Okogie, has urged President Muhammadu Buhari to invite suspected looters of the country’s treasury for dialogue.
According to him, the fight against corruption would be made easier if looters were allowed to return their loot privately without calling out on them publicly.
Speaking with Punch, Okogie said it was also cheaper to recover loot through dialogue than charging suspected looters of public fund to court.
He said, “I agree with the National Peace Committee that the President should thread softly and should set criteria that he is going to use. Corruption is endemic in Nigeria. That is why they are asking for caution: ‘Look at it properly,’” he said.
The cleric urged President Buhari to invite those suspected to have looted government treasury “to speak to their conscience.”
Okogie said, “People like that, when they go to court, they don’t look right and left before they do things. If I have a man like that and I know he has the money, I will weigh the options; ‘will it profit the nation if I take this man to court. If I take him to court, he is going to get a lawyer. The lawyer will be employed with part of the money I am looking for.
“The lawyer will now start to ask for adjournments and all what not. I may not get this money until after four years. And the judge too, in the mean time, is getting (part of the loot); you will not know. He won’t just adjourn anyhow.
“The lawyer will invite his brother (the judge) to come and get part of the cake until half of it will be gone. We have to look at the issue from that angle. And you may end up getting nothing.”
When asked if such would be possible in a sanitised judiciary, he asked, “Is it sanitised?”
According to Okogie, these are the areas the President ought to have started his anti-graft war by “sanitising and purifying” the judiciary first. “At least, you will know that three-quarters of the place is tight, and then you can start (the probe),” he added.
The fiery cleric, who decried the spate of moral decadence in the society, stated that it was the responsibility of the family to bring up the child well.
He lamented that parents were no more disciplined as before, saying, “These days, they don’t care anymore. That is not right; that is not how they were brought up.”
He said, “Look at the probe that is going on now, for example; how can one person manage to get (steal) one-point-something billion; not even million but billion, and very soon you will hear of trillions? Where did he get it from? That is how it is going on, and he is from a family.
“And if his conscience worried him, he will run to his pastor to say ‘I want to pay tithe — 10 per cent; this is my tithe.’ The pastor collects the tithe. Seeing that it is huge money, the pastor will ask him, ‘what can I do for you?’”
http://dailypost.ng/2015/09/01/stop-castigating-looters-publicly-call-them-for-dialogue-okogie-tells-buhari/
Re: Stop Castigating Looters Publicly – Okogie Tells Buhari by olafum1(m): 8:26am On Sep 01, 2015
Re: Stop Castigating Looters Publicly – Okogie Tells Buhari by catchfun: 8:26am On Sep 01, 2015
Okogie
Re: Stop Castigating Looters Publicly – Okogie Tells Buhari by kossyablaze(m): 8:27am On Sep 01, 2015
I tire

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Stop Castigating Looters Publicly – Okogie Tells Buhari by makingsense(m): 8:31am On Sep 01, 2015
Please... What they stole in private should be made public. After all no be public fund(S)!!
Re: Stop Castigating Looters Publicly – Okogie Tells Buhari by Nobody: 8:31am On Sep 01, 2015
APC goons will come after Okogie like Kukah for saying the truth.

A govt of body language

1 Like

Re: Stop Castigating Looters Publicly – Okogie Tells Buhari by charlso1(m): 8:31am On Sep 01, 2015
I slightly concur to that. The judiciary should first be sanitized if he want to win the corrupt practices.
We have to pray for this our beloved country for God's intervention. Anyway, if you want to know how to be your own boss, download my 51 free eBook titled "Fiverr Lazy Man's Blueprint" now via the link on my signature below.

1 Like

Re: Stop Castigating Looters Publicly – Okogie Tells Buhari by Nobody: 8:32am On Sep 01, 2015
call them out pls...publish their names on the Gazette and news media.let the world know them for who they are,criminals,leeches and a curse to humanity.They stole from the public...bring them to the public
Re: Stop Castigating Looters Publicly – Okogie Tells Buhari by AngryNigerian(m): 8:32am On Sep 01, 2015
Can people 4 God's sake stop talking from their noses! ah ah, watz ds 1 now?

If u had done ur job in the Church,would dey have had d guts of "impunitizing" corruption?
Re: Stop Castigating Looters Publicly – Okogie Tells Buhari by loomer: 8:32am On Sep 01, 2015
Before u know self dem do ask for plea bargain
Re: Stop Castigating Looters Publicly – Okogie Tells Buhari by Zonacom(m): 8:33am On Sep 01, 2015
I understand the point the cardinal is trying to make.
But what's the main aim of the probe in the first place? Is it just to recover stolen funds and forgive the perpetrators of the act? Or is the probe aimed at punishing the thieves if found guilty? If the former is the case, then PMB should heed the advice of his Eminence, but if the later is the case, then PMB should better assemble a very good legal team cos lots of time and money will be spent if not wasted.
Re: Stop Castigating Looters Publicly – Okogie Tells Buhari by fulanimafia: 8:38am On Sep 01, 2015
With all due respect, this scare mongering by Okogie is demeaning to his repute.

1. Can he claim to not have heard of the serious efforts this administration is putting in to identify and appoint judges with integrity to prosecute corruption cases in particular?

2. Under what framework would his proposed dialogue take place and how would it be regulated?

3. There should be no semblance of compromise in this fight. There should be no basis for treating criminals differently because of their past positions or wealth if the blind nature of serving justice is to be adhered with.
Re: Stop Castigating Looters Publicly – Okogie Tells Buhari by obailala(m): 8:49am On Sep 01, 2015
I think I totally agree with Okogie on this one. The fight against corruption is a very dicey one especially in a country where EVERYBODY is corrupt. Whrn you fight corruption, corruption will definitely fight back and with the large squad of the corruption football team, corruption will definitely win the game.

As much as I would like to see these big thieves named and shamed and locked up, a more realistic and workable solution to this mess is to covertly negotiate/dialogue with the looters to recover the monies that can still be recovered. Else, we might just spend the rest of our lives battling in court and the team of looters would unleash their massive arsenal to derail the government and Nigeria.
Re: Stop Castigating Looters Publicly – Okogie Tells Buhari by bjdon: 8:50am On Sep 01, 2015
fulanimafia:
With all due respect, this scare mongering by Okogie is demeaning to his repute.

1. Can he claim to not have heard of the serious efforts this administration is putting in to identify and appoint judges with integrity to prosecute corruption cases in particular?

2. Under what framework would his proposed dialogue take place and how would it be regulated?

3. There should be no semblance of compromise in this fight. There should be no basis for treating criminals differently because of their past positions or wealth if the blind nature of serving justice is to be adhered with.

In any undertaking, you must always ask the simple question. 'Is the approach I am taking going to produce results?'. I think what Okogie and Kukah are saying , is that in a democratic landscape, it is actually very difficult to fight corruption with 'Thunder and brimstone' as it where. Please tell me are his points not valid? If I was a looter with billions at my disposal, do you honestly think I will just roll over? I will assemble the best team of lawyers I can get and fight the case every step of the way, and even after a possible conviction, I will appeal all the way to the supreme court. Please understand this is not the time of military and tribunals. All over the world the concept of plea bargains is used in difficult to convict cases. I see no reason why we can't employ something like that here. Nigeria has a lot of critical issues that need urgent attention, if we can get some money back from the looters quickly and quietly and deploy that on development and poverty alleviation programs is that not a good thing? As opposed to spending the next decades fighting in court after court. Remember till now we have not yet recovered all of the Abacha loot, almost 2 decades after his death.
Re: Stop Castigating Looters Publicly – Okogie Tells Buhari by Caseless: 8:51am On Sep 01, 2015
Wtf!
This is what plays out when you allow a man of God who has a looter as a 'benefactor' to speak.
Re: Stop Castigating Looters Publicly – Okogie Tells Buhari by bjdon: 8:51am On Sep 01, 2015
obailala:
I think I totally agree with Okogie on this one. The fight against corruption is a very dicey one especially in a country where EVERYBODY is corrupt. Whrn you fight corruption, corruption will definitely fight back and with the large squad of the corruption football team, corruption will definitely win the game.

As much as I would like to see these big thieves named and shamed and locked up, a more realistic and workable solution to this mess is to covertly negotiate/dialogue with the looters to recover the monies that can still be recovered. Else, we might just spend the rest of our lives battling in court and the team of looters would unleash their massive arsenal to derail the government and Nigeria.
Without a doubt one of the wisest write ups I've seen on NL for sometime. Well done bro!
Re: Stop Castigating Looters Publicly – Okogie Tells Buhari by fyneguy: 8:55am On Sep 01, 2015
Sorry I disagree!

We need ''Name and Shame'' to serve as a deterrent to others. If you knew you would only be called in private for dialogue, you would still steal!

The consequence of corruption is key to nipping this in the bud!
Re: Stop Castigating Looters Publicly – Okogie Tells Buhari by hajlat(m): 8:56am On Sep 01, 2015
All these so called men of God.Do they think the Almighty God they claimed to be serving will be happy with those that are making people to suffer in the midst of plenty.
I know why they are trying to protect the looters, its because those looters gave them part of the booty.If the looters are dealt with in private, I want to ask,do the thieves stole from the private or from the public? This is my judjement :THOSE WHO STOLE FROM THE PUBLIC SHOULD BE TRIED IN THE PUBLIC. Next time they will learn to steal from there wives/families private a/c and as such they will be tried privately.
Re: Stop Castigating Looters Publicly – Okogie Tells Buhari by Goke7: 8:57am On Sep 01, 2015
AngryNigerian:
Can people 4 God's sake stop talking from their noses! ah ah, watz ds 1 now?

If u had done ur job in the Church,would dey have had d guts of "impunitizing" corruption?

Thank you jare, am a christian but the truth is the anti-corruption crusade will hit the church badly, reason father kukah is always running to aso rock, its surprising that Okogie who was a harsh critic of the last administration for their looting is finally realizing the damage buhari anti-corruption crusade will wreck on the church hence his blackmail now but like you said truly they all failed as christian leaders to condemn corruption right from the beginning it started.

1 Like

Re: Stop Castigating Looters Publicly – Okogie Tells Buhari by fulanimafia: 9:10am On Sep 01, 2015
bjdon:

In any undertaking, you must always ask the simple question. 'Is the approach I am taking going to produce results?'. I think what Okogie and Kukah are saying , is that in a democratic landscape, it is actually very difficult to fight corruption with 'Thunder and brimstone' as it where. Please tell me are his points not valid? If I was a looter with billions at my disposal, do you honestly think I will just roll over? I will assemble the best team of lawyers I can get and fight the case every step of the way, and even after a possible conviction, I will appeal all the way to the supreme court. Please understand this is not the time of military and tribunals. All over the world the concept of plea bargains is used in difficult to convict cases. I see no reason why we can't employ something like that here. Nigeria has a lot of critical issues that need urgent attention, if we can get some money back from the looters quickly and quietly and deploy that on development and poverty alleviation programs is that not a good thing? As opposed to spending the next decades fighting in court after court. Remember till now we have not yet recovered all of the Abacha loot, almost 2 decades after his death.

With sufficient evidence and an uncompromised judiciary, the process will be surely expedited. Furthermore, recovering the loot will have minimal impact on governance due to other efforts being made at minimizing wastage and preventing looting, which will free up resources for development. Already allocation to states has risen to its highest level this year.

The point is that the fight against corruption should be uncompromising regardless, and the challenges that are inherent should be/are being pro-actively tackled.
Re: Stop Castigating Looters Publicly – Okogie Tells Buhari by mindset1: 9:24am On Sep 01, 2015
The questions we should ask ourselves is ...do we want to just shame this people in public(media trial) or should we be sensible enough to negotiate with the looters after all aint we negotiating with boko haram...whoever is advising the president should look for a wise route to get our monies back so that this administration would deliver the dividends of democracy.we need to be wise..
Re: Stop Castigating Looters Publicly – Okogie Tells Buhari by nanya124(m): 9:29am On Sep 01, 2015
There seem to be more noise than work. EFCC should arraign them rather than going to the media to generate criticisms.
Re: Stop Castigating Looters Publicly – Okogie Tells Buhari by bjdon: 9:37am On Sep 01, 2015
fulanimafia:

With sufficient evidence and an uncompromised judiciary, the process will be surely expedited. Furthermore, recovering the loot will have minimal impact on governance due to other efforts being made at minimizing wastage and preventing looting, which will free up resources for development. Already allocation to states has risen to its highest level this year.

The point is that the fight against corruption should be uncompromising regardless, and the challenges that are inherent should be/are being pro-actively tackled.
With sufficient evidence and an uncompromised judiciary, the process will be surely expedited.
Fact or opinion?

The point is that the fight against corruption should be uncompromising
Desirable and worthy indeed, however anecdotal evidence from countries with much more robust legal systems than ours, shows that effective persecution of high net worth individuals is an extremely difficult task.

In any event I totally admire your commitment to the cause, if there are more like you across the judiciary and law enforcement maybe, just maybe, things will be different this time.
Re: Stop Castigating Looters Publicly – Okogie Tells Buhari by AngryNigerian(m): 9:03am On Sep 17, 2015
Goke7:

Thank you jare, am a christian but the truth is the anti-corruption crusade will hit the church badly, reason father kukah is always running to aso rock, its surprising that Okogie who was a harsh critic of the last administration for their looting is finally realizing the damage buhari anti-corruption crusade will wreck on the church hence his blackmail now but like you said truly they all failed as christian leaders to condemn corruption right from the beginning it started.

How many of these clerics have for once talked about corruption on the pulpit? all they do is pet them in order to get corrupt money for the church!

(1) (Reply)

Biafran Agitator Do Not Seek For War / Lt-general Tukur Buratai: The Conqueror Of Boko Haram. / Presidency Under Pressure To Relocate Villa Church, Mosque

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.