Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,192,150 members, 7,946,842 topics. Date: Thursday, 12 September 2024 at 08:16 AM

Aso Rock Matters Less To Ndi-igbo - Chukwunonso Ejike - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Aso Rock Matters Less To Ndi-igbo - Chukwunonso Ejike (615 Views)

Prof. Chukwuma Soludo To Ndi-igbo – Stop Having Head Office In Lagos Or Abuja / Charles Chukwunonso Odo: I Cursed PDP, It Will Never Know Peace / Re: Tonyebarcanista Has Betrayed Yorubas For Apologising To Ndi-igbo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Aso Rock Matters Less To Ndi-igbo - Chukwunonso Ejike by chuzimgaius(f): 10:37am On Sep 02, 2015
Ndi Igbo, if they say yours is ‘stomach-driven’ politics, don’t worry, be happy!

Each time I read something about Ndi Igbo, especially since the results of the last presidential elections were announced, I get naturally curious. I even get sick, sometimes, especially when I read some of the nauseating things posted by people whose names give them away as Igbo.

Let me start with this point: No ethnic group in Nigeria can provide factual evidence of how their kinsman being in power at Aso rock has helped to improve their collective well-being significantly. By this I mean that I doubt if Hausa/Fulaniland became suddenly transformed because of the Shagari and Yar’Adua presidencies or if Yorubaland became so-transformed because of the Obasanjo presidency. Onye Igbo does not therefore need to be President of Nigeria to develop Igboland. The only reason we think that way is simply because we have consistently refused to realise that there are enormous human and material resources at the disposal of our Governors; and that these resources can (if judiciously applied) transform Igboland, irrespective of who is in Aso rock. This applies to every part of Nigeria; and is without prejudice to the powers Abuja wields.

I find it surprising that those who believe the Igbo block-vote for the PDP in the last election was fatal did not think the same block-votes for the same party in 2003, 2007 and 2011 were life-giving. Ndi Igbo voted massively for PDP and GEJ and we should be proud of it. It is anti-democratic to expect that whoever one supports must win. There is no modesty or humility in allowing others (of different political persuasions) make one feel bad for voting for a candidate who lost. One thing is certain, there is no way in a democratic set-up that such a collective show of unity (if sustained) will not be rewarded someday. In the next election, therefore, vote en masse again for whomever you want. If we choose the right Governors and LG Chairmen, Abuja may matter little.

Secondly, for those who believe GEJ lost as a result of poor performance, please think again. GEJ did not live up to the expectations of many, no doubts, but he lost because the North wanted power. Nothing more. And given the numerical advantage the North has, it is senseless to expect otherwise. Please take a look at the election results again and see that even if all the Western votes went to GEJ, GMB would have still had the numerical advantage. In a democracy, those with the highest number of votes should win. Simple. For Ndi Igbo (and others from the South), we cannot eat our cakes and have it. By this I mean:

1. Due to the higher literacy level in the South relative to the North, grassroots’ mobilisation is easier in the North. Education-driven rationality is not a good property for a crowd needed to actualise a revolution. For Ndi Igbo, I guess we should be satisfied with the areas of Nigerian life where we do well. We cannot because of the desire to win elections at the centre pray to lose our Republican nature, or keep our sons and daughters out of schools and skills acquisition centers.

2. Due to the fact that on the one hand, the average 30 years old Hausa/Fulani lady likely has 5 children while her Igbo counterpart still wears jean trousers and mini-skirts, all the while pretending to be 17 and three quater years; and on the other hand, that the average 40 years old Hausa/Fulani gentleman likely has 8 children while his Igbo counterpart is still hoping to ‘make it big’ and then marry Miss Right, the Northern numerical advantage appears unassailable and we must learn to live with it. Both scenarios come with their respective advantages and disadvantages. Let us be satisfied with the advantages of our chosen lifestyles and bear graciously, their disadvantages.

Finally, each time I read a Nigerian daily online, the comments I see at the bottom of the news item appall me. This is so because these commentators are usually people of my generation. If our fathers dwelt on their ethnic differences and achieved little, we cannot go on that same lane and hope to be successful. We can all live together, address issues and avoid the unwarranted tribe-driven hostilities that hurt us (individually and collectively). Irrespective of our individual positions during the elections, responsible citizenship demands that we work and pray for GMB to succeed come May 29th. After all, if he does, Nigeria will be better and we will all be happier.

If you plan to post a hate comment, please check the next wall, they are not allowed here. Thank you for stopping by and reading this.

https://www.facebook.com/chukwunonso.ejike/posts/932246740173038

2 Likes

Re: Aso Rock Matters Less To Ndi-igbo - Chukwunonso Ejike by Nobody: 10:40am On Sep 02, 2015
Y
Re: Aso Rock Matters Less To Ndi-igbo - Chukwunonso Ejike by Nobody: 10:41am On Sep 02, 2015
Who ask am?
Re: Aso Rock Matters Less To Ndi-igbo - Chukwunonso Ejike by xertyy: 10:46am On Sep 02, 2015
hmmm
Re: Aso Rock Matters Less To Ndi-igbo - Chukwunonso Ejike by AlPeter: 10:50am On Sep 02, 2015
WoW just wow: this is awesome love it.
Re: Aso Rock Matters Less To Ndi-igbo - Chukwunonso Ejike by Nobody: 10:52am On Sep 02, 2015
biafra is the goal. by the time we unleash our anger on the zoo, somalia will be a paradise.

1 Like

Re: Aso Rock Matters Less To Ndi-igbo - Chukwunonso Ejike by brize(m): 11:37am On Sep 02, 2015
I even tried being mr.preacher sometime ago but i got to realise that tribalism will never end in nigeria, i mean NEVER.... Nice try my brother
Re: Aso Rock Matters Less To Ndi-igbo - Chukwunonso Ejike by nobilis: 1:27pm On Sep 02, 2015
Nice one

(1) (Reply)

National Assembly - Tell Buhari: “ You Have Disappointed Us In Your 100 Days In / Olu Of Warrior Still Alive / Saudi Authorities Responsible For Hajj Stampede –prof. Is-haq Oloyede

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.