Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,124 members, 7,887,248 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 04:16 AM

Cultural Resemblance Between The Igbo And The Israel Of The Bible - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Cultural Resemblance Between The Igbo And The Israel Of The Bible (9032 Views)

Osekola Obaze And Rotimi Akeredolu Resemblance Is Striking (Photos) / Ibrahim Coomassie: Igbo And Yoruba Can’t Determine 2019 Elections / Checkout Striking Resemblance Between VP Yemi Osinbajo And Brother Akin Osinbajo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Cultural Resemblance Between The Igbo And The Israel Of The Bible by gidgiddy: 2:46pm On Jul 09, 2018
Very revealing
Re: Cultural Resemblance Between The Igbo And The Israel Of The Bible by paramakina202: 3:02pm On Jul 09, 2018
PrecisionFx:

LMFAO.

There's nothing to discuss wit u. Ur not Igbo so I wander why u are carrying this matter for head like unriped plantain.

The difference is that I am Igbo while you are a fake Jew grin.
Re: Cultural Resemblance Between The Igbo And The Israel Of The Bible by Nobody: 8:13pm On Jul 09, 2018
paramakina202:

The difference is that I am Igbo while you are a fake Jew grin.

AFONJA pls focus on ur fellow Oduduwa pipo that fell from the sky n leave Igbo matters for the igbos.

1 Like

Re: Cultural Resemblance Between The Igbo And The Israel Of The Bible by paramakina202: 9:30pm On Jul 09, 2018
PrecisionFx:

AFONJA pls focus on ur fellow Oduduwa pipo that fell from the sky n leave Igbo matters for the igbos.

Taa mechie onu nsi.
Re: Cultural Resemblance Between The Igbo And The Israel Of The Bible by Nobody: 9:34pm On Jul 09, 2018
paramakina202:

Taa mechie onu nsi.

Lmao.
This is not a new AFONJA syndrome gringrin.
Re: Cultural Resemblance Between The Igbo And The Israel Of The Bible by paramakina202: 11:16pm On Jul 09, 2018
PrecisionFx:

Lmao.

This is not a new AFONJA syndrome gringrin.

When are you going to perform Aliyah as a Jew?

1 Like

Re: Cultural Resemblance Between The Igbo And The Israel Of The Bible by Nobody: 2:53pm On Jul 10, 2018
paramakina202:
When are you going to perform Aliyah as a Jew?

How is that an Afonja problem
Re: Cultural Resemblance Between The Igbo And The Israel Of The Bible by paramakina202: 3:03pm On Jul 10, 2018
PrecisionFx:

How is that an Afonja problem

Ain't you ashamed of yourself to be claiming what you don't even resemble?
Every Jew is expected to perform Aliyah,that is going back to the promised land.When are you relocating back to Israel like Ethiopian Jews?
We indigenious Igbos need some breathing space in Igboland.
Re: Cultural Resemblance Between The Igbo And The Israel Of The Bible by aribisala0(m): 3:39pm On Jul 10, 2018
You see where logic fails this thread?

What are the cultural similarities between Eboes and their immediate neighbours like the Igala,the Idoma, the Ijaw, the Edo and other Nigeria groups?

e.g Female circumcision

Eating pork crayfish,periwinkles and snails which are forbidden to Jews

There is no Eboe tradition forbidding the eating of pork,

It is very conveniient to ignore those things that disprove your warped hypothesis

1 Like

Re: Cultural Resemblance Between The Igbo And The Israel Of The Bible by aribisala0(m): 3:57pm On Jul 10, 2018
Prevalence of Female Genital mutilation in southern Nigeria( all ethnic groups) is over 65% among the Jews it is 0%
So go figure

Now there is one funny detail

Ancestor worship does not exist among the Jews again this is prevalent across southern Nigeria

OK what about masquerade?

WHat is the signifance of masquerades and do they exist among the Jews
Judaism is a purely Monotheistic religionn focused on ONE GOD

The idea of One God is totally alien across southern Nigeria.

The logic being used to justify this foolishness is the sme logi that says we are related to cows because their pregnancy lasts 9 months like humans

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Cultural Resemblance Between The Igbo And The Israel Of The Bible by Mrojoshua(m): 5:03pm On Jul 10, 2018
PrecisionFx:

LMFAO.

There's nothing to discuss wit u. Ur not Igbo so I wander why u are carrying this matter for head like unriped plantain.

Re: Cultural Resemblance Between The Igbo And The Israel Of The Bible by Nobody: 8:02pm On Jul 10, 2018
paramakina202:

Ain't you ashamed of yourself to be claiming what you don't even resemble?
Every Jew is expected to perform Aliyah,that is going back to the promised land.When are you relocating back to Israel like Ethiopian Jews?
We indigenious Igbos need some breathing space in Igboland.

I don't need to look like the Europeans that live in Israel in order to be a Hebrew (IGBOS AREN'T JEWS).

Afonjas fell from the sky...grin.
Re: Cultural Resemblance Between The Igbo And The Israel Of The Bible by paramakina202: 8:13pm On Jul 10, 2018
PrecisionFx:

I don't need to look like the Europeans that live in Israel in order to be a Hebrew (IGBOS AREN'T JEWS).

Afonjas fell from the sky...grin.

You are now a Hebrew and not a Jew?Hebrew is the language of the Jews(Israelites). iti like you.
Re: Cultural Resemblance Between The Igbo And The Israel Of The Bible by Truthcat: 8:22pm On Jul 10, 2018
All the traditions mentioned are even closer to Muslim and some other African tribes, so you ibos need to stop grasping at straws, Israel has rejected you over and over again, they say you are not part of them.
loveth360:
are yorubas arabs or did their ancestor fail down from haven like i was told.

1 Like

Re: Cultural Resemblance Between The Igbo And The Israel Of The Bible by Nobody: 8:53pm On Jul 10, 2018
paramakina202:

You are now a Hebrew and not a Jew?Hebrew is the language of the Jews(Israelites). iti like you.

Oga Afonja pls don't jump into issues that are confusing u.

Jews : People who practice Judaism as a religion... (American Jew, Spanish Jew, Japanese Jew, Chinese Jew, Russian Jew, French Jew, Australian Jew, German Jew)s.

Hebrew - Descendans of Abraham.

Israelites - The Hebrews who left Egypt n reached the promise land.

Hebrew Language is same as we have Igbo language. USE UR SENSE.

Iti mpataka like u...grin.

1 Like

Re: Cultural Resemblance Between The Igbo And The Israel Of The Bible by paramakina202: 9:09pm On Jul 10, 2018
PrecisionFx:

Oga Afonja pls don't jump into issues that are confusing u.

Jews : People who practice Judaism as a religion... (American Jew, Spanish Jew, Japanese Jew, Chinese Jew, Russian Jew, French Jew, Australian Jew, German Jew)s.

Hebrew - Descendans of Abraham.

Israelites - The Hebrews who left Egypt n reached the promise land.

Hebrew Language is same as we have Igbo language. USE UR SENSE.

Iti mpataka like u...grin.

Continue to deceive yourself because of inferiority complex.

Hebrew language - Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hebrew_language

Hebrew belongs to the Canaanite group of languages. In turn, the Canaanite languages are a branch of the Northwest Semitic family of languages. According to Avraham Ben-Yosef, Hebrew flourished as a spoken language in the Kingdoms of Israel and Judah during about 1200 to 586 BCE.

From Longman Dictionary of Contemporary EnglishHe‧brew /ˈhiːbruː/ noun 1 [uncountable] the language traditionally used by the Jewish people

1 Like

Re: Cultural Resemblance Between The Igbo And The Israel Of The Bible by Nobody: 9:35pm On Jul 10, 2018
paramakina202:

Continue to deceive yourself because of inferiority complex.

Hebrew language - Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hebrew_language

Hebrew belongs to the Canaanite group of languages. In turn, the Canaanite languages are a branch of the Northwest Semitic family of languages. According to Avraham Ben-Yosef, Hebrew flourished as a spoken language in the Kingdoms of Israel and Judah during about 1200 to 586 BCE.

From Longman Dictionary of Contemporary EnglishHe‧brew /ˈhiːbruː/ noun 1 [uncountable] the language traditionally used by the Jewish people

Afonja na enwero oguru isi, Ara ana akwa di gi aka

Hebrew Language is the language spoken by the Hebrews.

Same way the Igbo language is the language of the Igbo people.

face Afonja issues.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cultural Resemblance Between The Igbo And The Israel Of The Bible by paramakina202: 9:50pm On Jul 10, 2018
PrecisionFx:

Afonja na enwero oguru isi, Ara ana akwa di gi aka

Hebrew Language is the language spoken by the Hebrews.

Same way the Igbo language is the language of the Igbo people.

face Afonja issues.

I gave you link and you are here talking trash.
Provide one link to back up your foolishness.

And why are you not speaking Hebrew language as a Hebrew as you claim.

1 Like

Re: Cultural Resemblance Between The Igbo And The Israel Of The Bible by Nobody: 9:59pm On Jul 10, 2018
shotster50:
You people make me sick with this sentimental hogwash.. Anybody can claim a direct lineage to Israel that doesn't make it true. This nonesense makes it even harder for Igbos to trace their real history...

Shut up and sit down.
Re: Cultural Resemblance Between The Igbo And The Israel Of The Bible by Nobody: 10:01pm On Jul 10, 2018
paramakina202:

""And why are you not speaking Hebrew language as a Hebrew as you claim.""

This level of stupidity is why u are completely disqualified from being a part of this issue.

Pls focus on ur Ethnic nationality AKA Afonjanistan who have no history.
Re: Cultural Resemblance Between The Igbo And The Israel Of The Bible by Nobody: 10:06pm On Jul 10, 2018
DICK4UCKPUSSY:
Accepted, but igbos re the cursed tribe of israel, cos majority of israelites re muslims and idol worshipper.christains re countable in israel
But 98.9 igbos re christain which means igbos re the cursed tribe of israel cos in terms of religion you don't seem to relate cos both religion hate each other bitterly

Never knew stupid idiots have flooded NL
Re: Cultural Resemblance Between The Igbo And The Israel Of The Bible by Nobody: 10:07pm On Jul 10, 2018
bokohalal:
The Edos have all the above but are not Jews.

Then they don't know who/what they are.
Re: Cultural Resemblance Between The Igbo And The Israel Of The Bible by Rossikki: 10:08pm On Jul 10, 2018
paramakina202:

If Igbos migrated say two thousand years ago from Israel, the language they speak today will be a mixture of their ancient tongue and that of their more recent neighbours etc. If you DO examine the modern Igbo language, what you WILL find are many words that mean the same thing in Igbo and Hebrew.

Read this research by a scholar:

Linguistic Similarities - Igbo and Hebrew

And while my comparison of Igbo and Hebrew is still in infancy I must reveal that I have observed that both languages share quite an uncommon resemblance; from idiomatic expressions, to similar words having similar meanings in both, etc. An Igbo who compared Igbo and Hebrew as part of her graduate work reached the conclusion that both languages are genetically related. Below is part of the work that I have started to do in the studying of both languages:

It is interesting that the Igbo word for house or home is be, and the Hebrew word for house is bes or beth. That an Igbo type of light is urimmu, and six of the lights on the breast-plate of the Israelite chief priest is urim. That the meaning of Israel’s Name for God in Hebrew Yawe, is ‘I am’, and in Igbo Yawu means ‘He is’.

That wine in Hebrew is yayin and mmanya in Igbo.

Abraham to the Igbo is Abiama. We must admit that Abraham and Abiama are close in spelling and pronunciation. The Creator of the universe to the Igbos is Chukwu Abiama (Great God of Abraham). Omenana is the phrase for the Igbos religion and culture, and Emuna is the Hebrew word for faith.

And adam (Hebrew) and madu (Igbo) both mean man (humans).

G.T. Basden devoted a large portion of his work to a comparison of Igbo and Israelite traditions, and he started the comparison thus:
‘There are one or two peculiarities of idiom in Ibo similar to some found in Hebrew. The chief parallel is found in the repetition of words to express a single idea and, perhaps to add emphasis. The practice of reduplicating verbs or adding their cognate nouns is characteristic of Ibo - e.g. ‘O galu aga’ = he passed; ‘o jelu ije’ = he went. As a rule, the addition makes little or no appreciable difference to the meaning. There are many verbs which are rarely used without reduplication or with their derived noun either attached or in close proximity, e.g., we have such terms as “murmur a murmur” = “o natamu atamu”, or, as we have in the litany, “those who have erred”= “ndi jefielu ejefie”, and “those who are deceived” = “ndi alaputalu alaputa.”

My exploratory work on the idioms, expressions, usages, etc, is set out hereafter.
Moses’ call on ‘heaven and earth’ to be his witness that he gave Israel sufficient warning to stay away from idolatry and evil made profound impact on me the first time I read it scholastically (in Deuteronomy 4:26), because it is our (Igbo) fashion when we want to really lay emphasis on a matter in discussion. When the Igbo man says ‘enu igwe na ana nukwa onu m’ (‘may heaven and earth hear my voice’) he is really serious, and does not want to play with the matter that made him to utter those words. An Igbo writer; S.C. Onwuka mentioned that Igbos call upon ‘heaven and earth to witness’ while they are praying.6 I submit that it is not just coincidental that both languages have such an identical expression, and use it in similar circumstances.

Also Dr. J. H. Hertz, a Jewish scholar; had while explaining the nuance in Numbers 14:22, “these ten times” stated that it could stand for a ‘large number of times’. He further explained it to mean: “They had now filled up the measure of their iniquities, and punishment must inevitably come upon them.”7 Dr. Hertz used expressions very close to the Igbo idiom—‘iko ya ejuna’, which means that he has exhausted all his chances, but which can be translated literally to mean ‘his cup or measure is filled up.’ Igbos use this phrase or idiom when an evil doer gets caught and is awaiting punishment. From Hertz’s explanation it is easy to see that the same idea lies behind both the Igbo usage of the expression, and the Israelite usage, as explained by Hertz.

Hertz also explains, ‘for they are bread for us’ which is in Numbers 14:9 as meaning that:
‘We shall easily destroy them.’
His explanation is very similar to an Igbo expression nni nracha ka ha wu which literally means (‘they are easy food’), which if employed during a quarrel or fight signifies that the opponent can be defeated easily.
Also very interesting is the nearness of words that Jacob and his sons deployed when they were talking about Joseph’s supposed loss, to a wild beast, to the words that Igbos would have used in similar circumstances.

The sons reported that an ‘evil beast’ might have devoured their brother. Jacob also referred to the beast as an ‘evil beast.’ Genesis 37:35.9 Ordinarily a beast is either a wild one or a domestic one. But I understand what Jacob and his sons said and why because as an Igbo I know that Igbos will refer to a ferocious or wild beast as ajo anu (evil beast), even though the beast could have equally been tagged anu ofia (wild beast) by the Igbos.

One comes across the phrase ‘the anger of the Lord was kindled’,—Numbers 12:9, ‘My wrath shall wax hot’,-Exodus 22:23. If the phrases are translated into Igbo language we will have iwe oku which means hot anger.
The Igbos call their anger iwe oku (hot anger) when they are very angry. As I was pointing out in the section that dealt with “evil beast,” is anger supposed to be “hot” or cold? Applying such adjectives in certain cases makes sense to me only when I consider that every language has its own idioms and characteristics.

I will make a preliminary conclusion of this section with the words of Basden: “The language (Igbo) also bears several interesting parallels with the Hebrew idiom.”10
But before making my final comment on this subject which I am just beginning to look at I want to bring up more strikingly similar Igbo and Hebrew words which have identical or near meanings.
It is not mere coincidence that makes may- im- hayy-iym “waters of life, living waters,” in Hebrew similar to iyi which is “stream, river” in Igbo language.

Also the belt that was part of the Israelite priest’s garment—the ephod or ‘efowd', which is comparable with the Igbo word mfiedo = girdle or belt.

In addition the Hebrew nasas /nasah which are “be clear, be pure /shinning”, can be related to the Igbo nso and which can be used for holiness. Aso can also be used for holiness, and in Igbo thought what is nso or aso (holy) is pure.

And I also observed that many Igbo words like unyahu, ebe ahu, and nke ahu (yesterday, that place, and that thing) definitely excites one to think of Hebrew names like Eliyahu, Netanyahu, Yeshayahu, etc., because of the ahu endings. It also occurred to me that Igbos would include an u when pronouncing a name like John giving out something like Johnu. I was moved by the following prayer: Barukh atah Adonai….shehekhyanu vekiymanu vehigianu lazman hazeh, because of the nu endings. I find it my favorite prayer in Hebrew. Researchers would find this area very interesting to explore I predict.
As I am only beginning an exploration of this section I will not go too far. I will not make definitive assertions on the relationship between the Igbo and Hebrew languages at this stage. However I must say that my observation is that the Igbo spoken fifty years ago was not very dissimilar in aspects like sound, pronunciation, etc, with ancient Ivrit. Shortly I will resume a comparison of both languages with Avraham Phil van Riper; an American Jewish scholar.

http://igboisrael..com/2015/11/linguistic-similarities.html
Re: Cultural Resemblance Between The Igbo And The Israel Of The Bible by paramakina202: 10:08pm On Jul 10, 2018
PrecisionFx:

""And why are you not speaking Hebrew language as a Hebrew as you claim.""

This level of stupidity is why u are completely disqualified from being a part of this issue.

Pls focus on ur Ethnic nationality AKA Afonjanistan who have no history.

Fake Jew continue.Leave us indigenous Igbos out of your stupidity.

The only answer you have to my questions is screaming Afonja Afonja.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Cultural Resemblance Between The Igbo And The Israel Of The Bible by Nobody: 11:13pm On Jul 10, 2018
paramakina202:

AfonjaCone.
Re: Cultural Resemblance Between The Igbo And The Israel Of The Bible by Nobody: 3:07am On Jul 11, 2018
paramakina202:

Face ogbomosho village and leave Igbos alone.
Igbo Akaka.

Cc lzaa onyeoga pointzerom madridguy buhariguy sarrki shalomc iceberg3 itsmeaboki yarimo

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigerian Army To Migrate To IPPIS In 2017 – Kemi Adeosun / Bandits Kill 10, Kidnap Many In Dudun Doki, Sokoto On Sallah Day / Is The Niger Delta Equal To Ijaw?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.