Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,135 members, 7,880,565 topics. Date: Thursday, 04 July 2024 at 09:12 PM

8 Questions To Ask Yourself Before Commenting Online - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 8 Questions To Ask Yourself Before Commenting Online (632 Views)

Lauretta Onochie: It Is Disrespectful To Ask About Buhari's Health Status / Dieziani Loot: Jonathan Has Questions To Answer‎ – Festus Keyamo / 8 Questions For Mr Okoh Godwin, Alleged Boko Haram Suspect... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

8 Questions To Ask Yourself Before Commenting Online by naijaidol(f): 8:32am On Sep 07, 2015
Ah, the comments section.

It's where the Internet — in all its terrible glory — weighs in on the hottest issues of the day. And after you read a particularly incendiary article, you too may be tempted to weigh in.

Not so fast, champ.

Before you leave your magnum opus in that comment field, take a deep breath and ask yourself these questions. With a little introspection, you may be able to avoid an ugly feud or a lot of embarrassment

1. Does this comment represent me well?

Your comments show the Internet what kind of person you are. Make sure it’s a good one, not a terrible garbage one.

2. Would I want my #1 role model, most likely NaijaIdols, to read this comment?

Whether your role model of choice is your mother, your college Biology professor or Naijaidols, make sure your Internet comment is something your idol would be proud to read.

3. Am I reading a satirical article?

Does the article seem too crazy to be true? That could be because, uh … it’s not.

4. Is my comment offensive?

If your comment contains slurs or relies on stereotypes, reconsider posting. Some jokes aren’t worth hurting others or perpetuating harmful structures -- no matter how hilarious you think they are.

5. Did a loved one -- perhaps my son -- write this article?

It doesn’t matter how much you disagree with the article’s content -- if your own estranged child wrote it, you should address your qualms in person.

6. Has someone already expressed my opinion using similar words?

If another user has already made your comment, you should be excited. It means you don’t have to write anything. Just upvote and nod, pal.

7. Will I act chill if people disagree with me?

You know the old popular saying: If you can’t take the Internet, get out of that Internet.

8. Did I actually read the article?

Did you forget to read the article again? Oh, you!
Re: 8 Questions To Ask Yourself Before Commenting Online by lordtosan(m): 8:33am On Sep 07, 2015
If everybody think before they comment;
if everybody consider their role-models before airing their views;
if everybody think of themselves and love ones before they comment;
we will see a Nairaland that would no longer be fun;
we will see a nairaland where nobody enjoy comic relief;
we will see a nairaland where the genius of the likes of Funlord, nihilist, blackett who take the fools to the cleaners will be stifled

the truth is nairaland will be boring if everybody follow all that in your post. I mean how do you want people like ireneony, ladyF, introvert etc to be relevant?

Imagine for a moment nairaland with only the likes of Jarus, barcanister, Ujsizzle, caracter, Epaul, seun, standd who are always serious with their comments like say them dey house of assembly. Even these personalities need the likes of ireneony, introvert, fremanan, ladyF to laugh and get angry once in while.
Re: 8 Questions To Ask Yourself Before Commenting Online by agarawu23(m): 8:35am On Sep 07, 2015
Hmmm
Re: 8 Questions To Ask Yourself Before Commenting Online by ignis: 8:35am On Sep 07, 2015
k
Re: 8 Questions To Ask Yourself Before Commenting Online by rawpadgin(m): 8:42am On Sep 07, 2015
Brilliant
Re: 8 Questions To Ask Yourself Before Commenting Online by respect80(m): 8:49am On Sep 07, 2015
agarawu23:
Hmmm

Your signature shows you do what you just criticized.
Please check.
something like "ignoring some post make things better" is much fairer if you truly practice what you preach . Or what do you think wink
Re: 8 Questions To Ask Yourself Before Commenting Online by respect80(m): 8:53am On Sep 07, 2015
lordtosan:
we will see a nairaland where the genius of the likes of Funlord, nihilist, blackett who take the fools to the cleaners will be stifled

the truth is nairaland will be boring if everybody follow all that in your post. I mean how do you want people like ireneony, ladyF, introvert etc to be relevant?

What more shall I say when you said it all already.
Re: 8 Questions To Ask Yourself Before Commenting Online by UjSizzle(f): 9:01am On Sep 07, 2015
Lordtosan, but I am going to the national assembly embarassed
Re: 8 Questions To Ask Yourself Before Commenting Online by 9jii(m): 9:07am On Sep 07, 2015
WE WILL ALL GOING TO REGRET WHAT WE ARE SAYING OR DOING ON THE INTERNET IN THE FUTURE.

Because we believe we are invisible now.and we are never.
Re: 8 Questions To Ask Yourself Before Commenting Online by Jarus(m): 9:23am On Sep 07, 2015
lordtosan:

Imagine for a moment nairaland with only the likes of Jarus, barcanister, Ujsizzle, caracter, Epaul, seun, standd who are always serious with their comments like say them dey house of assembly. Even these personalities need the likes of ireneony, introvert, fremanan, ladyF to laugh and get angry once in while.

LMAO @ serious like National Assembly.

I agree with you. In fact, I enjoy the lighter posts more than the serious posts. I also try to lighten up sometimes. Have you ever come across me booking space or doing ftc? I have done a couple of times cheesy

1 Like

Re: 8 Questions To Ask Yourself Before Commenting Online by orunto27: 10:39am On Sep 07, 2015
Very good. Also no abuse, no cursing and no spelling mistakes. If you use your language . mixed in the text, put it in inverted commas.
Re: 8 Questions To Ask Yourself Before Commenting Online by DaBullIT(m): 11:57am On Sep 07, 2015
I concur
Re: 8 Questions To Ask Yourself Before Commenting Online by olawalebabs(m): 7:51pm On Sep 07, 2015
Jarus:

LMAO @ serious like National Assembly.

I agree with you. In fact, I enjoy the lighter posts more than the serious posts. I also try to lighten up sometimes. Have you ever come across me booking space or doing ftc? I have done a couple of times cheesy
When you try to 'lighten up' (sarcasm) , people often misunderstood you.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

5bn Naira Debt: Union Bank Takes Over Sani Dangote’s Company, Dansa Foods / Ex-minister To Buhari - Publish Names Of Treasury Looters. / What It Means For Nigeria To Be Kicked Out Of The JP Morgan EM Bond Index

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.