Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,671 members, 7,875,616 topics. Date: Saturday, 29 June 2024 at 05:10 PM

Are Nigerian Movies Really That Good - TV/Movies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Are Nigerian Movies Really That Good (4590 Views)

Free Nigerian Movies: Leave onlinenigeria.com alone / Best Nigerian Movies / To Watch Nigerian Movies Online (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are Nigerian Movies Really That Good by philip0906(m): 7:38pm On Apr 08, 2009
Nollywood?
Mschewwww!
grin
Re: Are Nigerian Movies Really That Good by bishoptboy(m): 10:58pm On Apr 08, 2009
I am still searching for that Nollywood that I would be proud to tell anybody to watch cos its good. but i havent found any yet. I have not watched any nollywood in ages and I was told Jenifa is good but after watching it i was so angry that i felt like breaking my PC.
I dont know why people say we are trying. has our films improved from the days of Hostages and Violated. the only thing that gets better is the cloth and wigs our actress put on. they storyline is weaker and the film is rushed. I prefer to watch those old nollywood that the rubish being chunked out daily now. SOMEONE HAS TO CONVINCE ME THAT WE HAVE GOTTEN BETTER FROM EARLY 1990's
Re: Are Nigerian Movies Really That Good by bishoptboy(m): 11:05pm On Apr 08, 2009
Gosh i just cheked the AMAA list now. Nollywood should be ashamed. Kenya took the major. we make quantity and not quality. i tell you that south africa did not really entered into all the category cos if they did with their films nigeria wont get anything. sad

we should plead with our music video editors to save nollywood. we are one of the best in music video but Kenya still won editing. sad
Burkina Faso won animation. too bad sad
Re: Are Nigerian Movies Really That Good by touchmeder: 2:40pm On Apr 09, 2009
The typical nigerian film aka nollywood movies are truly disappointing. i have never seen one that made me really satisfied. you can tell the end from the beginning, now its part one and two with little or nothing inside, i never have the patience to watch one all through. you talk of quality material at the end of the day, i dont see it. i manage to watch a few yoruba movies whenever. i can i feel they deliever more. But i love some of our actors and actresses sha. They make me proud to be nigerian.
Re: Are Nigerian Movies Really That Good by omar22(m): 7:51pm On Apr 09, 2009
I hate the dame thing, it was ok back in the 90's when it was moderate but now its excessive, the same old storyline, nothing professional! the reason why other West African countries love Nollywood films is because to them Nollywood look like Hollywood, I saw Ghanian film! Oh Gosh!!! Even the acting in "village headmaster looked more professional so them seeing our stuff looks like a step up for them,

its horrible most especially when 100% of the films has to have a second part
Re: Are Nigerian Movies Really That Good by deb(m): 8:59pm On Apr 09, 2009
Do we have movies or home videos?
Re: Are Nigerian Movies Really That Good by wanville(m): 9:39pm On Apr 11, 2009
:p
Re: Are Nigerian Movies Really That Good by ElRazur: 10:04pm On Apr 11, 2009
Nigerian movies sucks period. I never got into them all the time I was in Naija and from what I can tell there isn't any much improvement. The actors are rubbish and some will never get a job outside Nigeria. The sound quality is just bad and not much editing is done by the looks of it.

The directors lack the basic of how to shot a video and sometime try to shot from angles that are awkward and do not get the scene message across. I have a mini dv cam here and with a few tweaks in Adobe Première, I can do a better job.

I suppose it sells around a lot because more and more people from West Africa are all over the world and we can easily take some of our culture with us.

The UK government was contemplating on bringing some sort of control onto those Nollywood movies because they need to meet the rating of the classification board here and taxes need to be paid. I will personally like to see this happen, as it will curtail the movies out here on the street. [Most of them are junks imo]

Oh another that annoys me is how most Naija movies tend to have a part two, come one now.  What is that all about?
Re: Are Nigerian Movies Really That Good by wanville(m): 10:28pm On Apr 11, 2009
undecided
Re: Are Nigerian Movies Really That Good by Kozzie(m): 10:43pm On Apr 11, 2009
Naija movies suck!gosh! Sumtymz afta seein a movie u wnt bliv u jst wastd ur tym, their lastest dumb si 2ru trick, changin the title at d 2nd or 3rd part. In totality most naija movies are, Hlp me folkz xpres d anga
Re: Are Nigerian Movies Really That Good by Theblessed(f): 2:33pm On Apr 13, 2009
Well, Nigeria movies are yet to get there. 

In fact, they are nothing but CRAPS!!!

TASTELESS, UNIMAGINATIVE AND PREDICTIVE

And there are no WOW!!! factors in it.

I mean that thing that engages someone

to it and makes one beg, beg and beg for more

or even cry as it's coming to an end - these are

hardly found in Nigerian films and that makes it

cheap.  You see buddy, they haven't got it yet

because many of the actors/actresses, directors

and producers are untrained and lack acting skills. 

Because, they want to make quick money hence

the rubbish that flood our markets and no wonder

they are 'Achikata ekweonu' here. I mean cheap traps

(50 for 1p).  So if other West African countries are

swearing by Nigerian films, it goes to show how timid

these countries are.  Do you blame them?  No, because

they have no point of comparison and no clue of what

is classed high standards. So, to them, Nigerian films are

heaven.  The so called actors/actresses, director etc need

some education and brushing  up and therefore, should go

and spend time to learn their trade properly from Colleges

and Universities the techniques of making and producing

good films, before hitting the markets with these rubbish

please, tell them so, ok!  I won't say this again!
Re: Are Nigerian Movies Really That Good by DrLorenz1(m): 2:41pm On Apr 13, 2009
bishoptboy:

Gosh i just cheked the AMAA list now. Nollywood should be ashamed. Kenya took the major. we make quantity and not quality. i tell you that south africa did not really entered into all the category cos if they did with their films nigeria wont get anything. sad

we should plead with our music video editors to save nollywood. we are one of the best in music video but Kenya still won editing. sad
Burkina Faso won animation. too bad sad

I agree with you on that. If South Africa were to have really entered, i don't think Nigeria would even been seen. Have we asked ourselves why most American movies don't premiere here in Nigeria?
Re: Are Nigerian Movies Really That Good by Joan4427(f): 4:49pm On Apr 13, 2009
Lol at all the comments here! From what I gather, the general consensus is that Nollywood movies are not all that good in comparison to movies from Western countries. We aren't there yet and I sincerely hope we're making progress.
Re: Are Nigerian Movies Really That Good by iniguy(m): 6:46pm On Apr 13, 2009
tongue I have since lost interest in nigerian movies. they are predictable with stereotype story lines and characters. occasionally i take a peep or two @ them, but i prefer classical movies. On the whole there's still room for improvement.
Re: Are Nigerian Movies Really That Good by wanville(m): 9:02pm On Apr 13, 2009
smiley
Re: Are Nigerian Movies Really That Good by shotster50(m): 12:41am On Apr 14, 2009
Please people dont confuse patriotism with criticism. I am proud of where I come from but that shouldnt mean I cant criticize constructively.

As far as Nigerian Home Videos go.

The pictures are very very very bad
The sound is even worse.
The Plots are always the same.
The theme songs are the same
There is a huge amount of bandwagonism
I can go on and on but heck I still watch, hoping  (some might say hopelessly) for the day our Directors and Producers will wake up from their greed induced coma.
Re: Are Nigerian Movies Really That Good by malaika(f): 10:55am On Apr 14, 2009
::
Re: Are Nigerian Movies Really That Good by Joan4427(f): 9:33pm On May 09, 2009
shotster50:

Please people dont confuse patriotism with criticism. I am proud of where I come from but that shouldnt mean I cant criticize constructively.

As far as Nigerian Home Videos go.

The pictures are very very very bad
The sound is even worse.
The Plots are always the same.
The theme songs are the same
There is a huge amount of bandwagonism
I can go on and on but heck I still watch, hoping  (some might say hopelessly) for the day our Directors and Producers will wake up from their greed induced coma.
iniguy:

tongue I have since lost interest in nigerian movies. they are predictable with stereotype story lines and characters. occasionally i take a peep or two @ them, but i prefer classical movies. On the whole there's still room for improvement.
Kozzie:

Naija movies suck!gosh! Sumtymz afta seein a movie u wnt bliv u jst wastd ur tym, their lastest dumb si 2ru trick, changin the title at d 2nd or 3rd part. In totality most naija movies are, Hlp me folkz xpres d anga

Nollywood movies may not be of good quality these days, but the producers, directors, and actors/actresses are not the most to blame.

What about piracy? Or 'bandwagonism' like someone mentioned?

Look at it this way, for e.g. the movie industry suffers and spends all this money to make a good movie (screen writing, great producing, brilliant actors/actresses, cool effects, wow factors, all the nuts and bolts). At the end of the day, the movie gets cut and produced and is ready for sale. The Nigerian yahoozes get a hold of the movie and makes thousands of copies in very low quality and start selling them at very cheap prices (even the same happens with foreign movie like Harry Potter, Twilight, Star Wars, X-men, etc).
The masses see the low quality version at a cheaper price and buy that one instead. Meanwhile, the actual movie producers do not break even, they are forced to cut their losses and fold. The brilliant actors/actresses do not get paid--they sit and starve. Next time, they turn down the job.

So to counteract this, the movie industries jump in the same boat as the Yahoozes. Since the Nigerian public will go for the cheapest version of anything, the industry go ahead and produce cheap movies for them, using bad scripts and artists. That way, the industry stays competitive with the Yahoozes and everybody wins! Not the best way to tackle the problem, but that is just how it works in Nigeria.

"If you can't beat them, you join them." Right?

Based on the above, the movie industry is not interested in investing, or motivated motivated to invest in quality or patented stuff that would help their industry grow like those in the Western countries.

We see the same all the time with the book publishing industry. I work with a publishing company, so I should know.

Just ask yourselves: "How many times have you opted for cheap pirated stuff over the authentic high-quality, high-priced product?"
  shocked shocked shocked shocked

Now you see where the major problem arises?

Now tell me again about "Re-branding Nigeria"undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Are Nigerian Movies Really That Good by mohawkchic(f): 9:44pm On May 10, 2009
~Love it or hate it,one thing is Always Guaranteed! A Good Laff or a Well Deserved Hiss cheesy
Re: Are Nigerian Movies Really That Good by FLGators1: 10:10pm On May 10, 2009
~Love it or hate it,one thing is Always Guaranteed! A Good Laff or a Well Deserved Hiss Cheesy
grin grin grin grin grin true that tongue

@post
No matter how bad or good it is, I'd still watch my Yoruba films anytime anyday.
They're highly entertaining. Love them!!
And they always seems to have morals at the end.

All this kain english nollywood movies are so boring!
same ol' same ol'.
Pregnancy, love, cheating husband, good vs. evil, good prevail.
yada yada yada. yawwwwwwwwwwwwnnnnnnnnnnnn undecided undecided
Re: Are Nigerian Movies Really That Good by mohawkchic(f): 10:20pm On May 10, 2009
~Noticed lately the 2 Tv chanels i'd watch/browse Naija movies have started airing Yoruba movies,watched a couple. . .Interesting !Also Noticed I havent the actresses/Actors in English Spoken movies except Steph Nora ! It was refreshing seeing new faces . . .

~"Ose" {sp? }was the first Yoruba word i learnt!  grin I hear it a lot
Re: Are Nigerian Movies Really That Good by FLGators1: 11:31pm On May 10, 2009
~Noticed lately the 2 Tv chanels i'd watch/browse Naija movies have started airing Yoruba movies,watched a couple. . .Interesting !Also Noticed I havent the actresses/Actors in English Spoken movies except Steph Nora ! It was refreshing seeing new faces . . .

~"Ose" {sp? }was the first Yoruba word i learnt! Grin I hear it a lot
LOL, Maybe cuz most people would rather watch Yoruba movies?

Supply and demand plays a key role tongue tongue

The worst thing abt english movies is that you tend to see same faces, same plot, and the ending is quite predictable.

ose as in thank you or soap or hurt or which one? tongue tongue
Re: Are Nigerian Movies Really That Good by mohawkchic(f): 1:59am On May 11, 2009
~Yeah i suppose there could likely be a demand for them now. . .They run thro out the day & Most Nights which is unusual. . . .

~Oh! Several meaning to "Ose" ? The Subs come up as "Thank You" grin
Re: Are Nigerian Movies Really That Good by Nobody: 3:43am On May 14, 2009
Run thro the day and night?

You mean in the movies? How?
Re: Are Nigerian Movies Really That Good by mohawkchic(f): 3:53am On May 14, 2009
~Yeah the Yoruba Movies,they're been played during the day/Dusk/Dawn . .
Re: Are Nigerian Movies Really That Good by proudly9ja(m): 2:49pm On May 14, 2009
Im really not a fan but Il give honour whom its due. Most movies by Mainframe Production are very good. Nice story lines, good plots and the acting, superb. Some yoruba movies are also very good.

I can recommend some good ones:

Anini
http://www.aworantv.com/2009/02/nigerian-movie-anini.html

Owoblow
http://www.aworantv.com/2009/02/owo-blow-genesis-part1.html
Re: Are Nigerian Movies Really That Good by proudly9ja(m): 2:50pm On May 14, 2009

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Shop Girl – Nollywood Movie / Which Among This Is Your Favourite Series (season Films)? / Living In Bondage Mp4 Free Download

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.