Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,822 members, 7,889,726 topics. Date: Sunday, 14 July 2024 at 07:05 PM

Is It A Crime To Drive Right Hand Cars In Nigeria: ? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Is It A Crime To Drive Right Hand Cars In Nigeria: ? (7039 Views)

Nigerians's Impression About Second Hand Cars. / Where Can I Find A Good Mechanic That Convert Right Hand Cars To Left In Lagos / Right Hand Drive (RHD) To Left Hand Drive (LHD) Conversion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It A Crime To Drive Right Hand Cars In Nigeria: ? by sundayng(m): 4:22pm On Apr 05, 2009
Please advice Is it a crime to drive right hand cars in nigeria

Sunday
Re: Is It A Crime To Drive Right Hand Cars In Nigeria: ? by Nobody: 4:28pm On Apr 05, 2009
It's not so much of a crime, I believe it's illegal though.

Whether that can be classed as criminal is debatable though.
Re: Is It A Crime To Drive Right Hand Cars In Nigeria: ? by sundayng(m): 4:31pm On Apr 05, 2009
I have seen some people driving right hand cars but very few.
Re: Is It A Crime To Drive Right Hand Cars In Nigeria: ? by Nobody: 9:05pm On Apr 05, 2009
Nigerians sha. Nigeria converted to the left hand drive since the early 70's.
No one needs to tell you that driving a rhd in Nigeria is wrong.
Why can't people just buy the right type of car and avoid unnecessary embarrassment from the cops. How much do they really expect to save from buying a rhd as opposed to the lhd
Re: Is It A Crime To Drive Right Hand Cars In Nigeria: ? by showbobo(m): 11:53pm On Apr 05, 2009
Yes its illegal and its a punishable offence. . . .
Re: Is It A Crime To Drive Right Hand Cars In Nigeria: ? by erico2k2(m): 8:51am On Apr 06, 2009
hi there, I have driven a RHD in Nigeria B4, it aint illegal, but it would be mega stressfull for those who have never been on a RHD wheels,in reality there is no point driving a RHD car in Nigeria cos you gonna get stress parking,overtaking and even roundabouts, I only survived it cos I drive in the UK  and as for the cost, cars are like30%-50% cheaper when they are RHD compared to LHD a  RHD 1999 Honda Accord can be bought in the UK for less than £1000, but its LHD equivalent might sell up to £2500, now thats a difference,this is the reason why some guys convert  thier car for personal use.
Re: Is It A Crime To Drive Right Hand Cars In Nigeria: ? by aduje(m): 9:30am On Apr 06, 2009
@poster,

Use of RHD vehicles has been considered a traffic offence since 1973. For the fact that I am neither a lawyer nor a traffic law enforcement agent, I will not be able to expantiate on it. For a fellow Nairalander, my advise is that you convert your ride to LHD because FRSC, Nigerian Police and even LASTMA can use anyone as a scape goat. In this 9ja, some break rules, others bend it while some cannot try it. You should know why if you are a Nigerian.
Re: Is It A Crime To Drive Right Hand Cars In Nigeria: ? by lucem: 9:52am On Apr 06, 2009
This is simply foolishness - although driving RHD in Nigeria is technically illegal, people should be advised about what is best and then allowed to make up their own minds. Yes, we converted to LHD since whenever, however should one choose to drive a RHD vehicle, that should be up to them.

All that wahala about reduced visiblity when overtaking is a load of crap when you consider that a) We don't drive in any meaningfully structured way in Nigeria really, b) We overtake on both sides, c) Right-of-way seems to be a notion nobody has ever heard of and, d) The traffic officials are totally uninterested in orderly movement of vehicles on the highways.

When driving RHD in Nigeria, you should simply leave more room between you and the car in front in order to maximise your vision of the road ahead. So I say, if someone has a RHD vehicle, let them be, it's no more dangerous than getting on the road in Nigeria in the first place.

p.s. and for those Nigerians that always like foreign examples - the United Kingdom is RHD, however you can legally drive your LHD vehicle if you so choose without any harrassment whatsoever, it's entirely up to you.
Re: Is It A Crime To Drive Right Hand Cars In Nigeria: ? by Nobody: 10:10am On Apr 06, 2009
I think Lucem's got it spot-on.

Why can't Nigeria be like other countries, where both LHD and RHD are freely used?
Re: Is It A Crime To Drive Right Hand Cars In Nigeria: ? by agabaI23(m): 11:08am On Apr 06, 2009
Siena,
How legal is it to drive left hand cars in the UK?
Why is it that it is rare to use left hand in the UK?

Just one law that Nigerians seems to be obeying
lucem:

This is simply foolishness - although driving RHD in Nigeria is technically illegal, people should be advised about what is best and then allowed to make up their own minds. Yes, we converted to LHD since whenever, however should one choose to drive a RHD vehicle, that should be up to them.

All that wahala about reduced visiblity when overtaking is a load of crap when you consider that a) We don't drive in any meaningfully structured way in Nigeria really, b) We overtake on both sides, c) Right-of-way seems to be a notion nobody has ever heard of and, d) The traffic officials are totally uninterested in orderly movement of vehicles on the highways.

When driving RHD in Nigeria, you should simply leave more room between you and the car in front in order to maximise your vision of the road ahead. So I say, if someone has a RHD vehicle, let them be, it's no more dangerous than getting on the road in Nigeria in the first place.

p.s. and for those Nigerians that always like foreign examples - the United Kingdom is RHD, however you can legally drive your LHD vehicle if you so choose without any harrassment whatsoever, it's entirely up to you.
Recipe for more trouble in naija. The already chaotic traffic will be worse for it.
Re: Is It A Crime To Drive Right Hand Cars In Nigeria: ? by Nobody: 11:29am On Apr 06, 2009
agabaI23:

Siena,
How legal is it to drive left hand cars in the UK?
Why is it that it is rare to use left hand in the UK?

Perfectly legal to drive / own LHD cars in the UK, there are no restrictions whatsoever.
It's not that uncommon to find LHD cars in the UK, especially in Central London, where there are loads.

RHD cars are cheaper here though.
Re: Is It A Crime To Drive Right Hand Cars In Nigeria: ? by cvibe: 11:50am On Apr 06, 2009
Yes it is a crime to drive a RHD in Nigeria. Your car may be impounded.
Re: Is It A Crime To Drive Right Hand Cars In Nigeria: ? by onimine(f): 12:40pm On Apr 06, 2009
it has been illegal in Nigeria since 1972 to drive such a car. It is irelevant dat they are still in use in UK
Re: Is It A Crime To Drive Right Hand Cars In Nigeria: ? by Nobody: 12:48pm On Apr 06, 2009
onimine:

it has been illegal in Nigeria since 1972 to drive such a car. It is irelevant dat they are still in use in UK

I think you're missing the point here!

No one's saying as they're in use in the UK, they should be acceptable in Nigeria.
Re: Is It A Crime To Drive Right Hand Cars In Nigeria: ? by Olad234(m): 1:18pm On Apr 06, 2009
There's no little sin! Something is not good for Naija Road then change it Don't forget that in UK fast lane is always on the right side not left, i.e you can't manage yourself very well with a right hand on left hand drive road. I've droven a right hand drive vehicle; there's a difference. in your own interest change it
Re: Is It A Crime To Drive Right Hand Cars In Nigeria: ? by Nobody: 1:46pm On Apr 06, 2009
Siena:

I think you're missing the point here!

No one's saying as they're in use in the UK, they should be acceptable in Nigeria.

I disagree. I think i prefer uniformity. It makes things better.
Don't you think we'd have more accidents in Naija if more people drive RHD's?
I mean, trying to overtake a "crazy" tanker driver along Lagos-Ibadan expwy is enough to send you to your grave even if you pass using the left lane.
Overtaking would lead to a lot of problems because drivers "blind spots" will become an increasing problem using both LHD and RHD.
It may be okay in a developed nation but it is not ok for naija.
Re: Is It A Crime To Drive Right Hand Cars In Nigeria: ? by Nobody: 2:07pm On Apr 06, 2009
A-town:

I disagree. I think i prefer uniformity. It makes things better.
Don't you think we'd have more accidents in Naija if more people drive RHD's?
I mean, trying to overtake a "crazy" tanker driver along Lagos-Ibadan expwy is enough to send you to your grave even if you pass using the left lane.
Overtaking would lead to a lot of problems because drivers "blind spots" will become an increasing problem using both LHD and RHD.
It may be okay in a developed nation but it is not ok for naija.

Please read carefully what I posted.

Where did I say RHD should be acceptable in Nigeria?
You've quoted only part of my statement, and totally out of context too!
Re: Is It A Crime To Drive Right Hand Cars In Nigeria: ? by JustGood(m): 4:27pm On Apr 06, 2009
I didn't know if it was illegal or not, officially. Now I know.

Its good to have a clear law on issues. I cant go and drive against such law and cry if I get arrested. AND we dont have to make our laws exactly the way they are abroad.
Re: Is It A Crime To Drive Right Hand Cars In Nigeria: ? by Nobody: 4:46pm On Apr 06, 2009
@ Topic,
Drive it if you want! You are safe cool cheesy cheesy

anything /everything possible in 9ja.
Re: Is It A Crime To Drive Right Hand Cars In Nigeria: ? by Nobody: 4:50pm On Apr 06, 2009
Siena:

Please read carefully what I posted.

Where did I say RHD should be acceptable in Nigeria?
You've quoted only part of my statement, and totally out of context too!

Hanhan. Someone is playing tricks on my eyes oh. I apologize sha.
I hope you didn't modify your post cos i could have sworn i read something else. Anyways my apologies.
Re: Is It A Crime To Drive Right Hand Cars In Nigeria: ? by Nobody: 6:31pm On Apr 06, 2009
u guys are missing the point
right hand drive in  naija is purely for one reason and one reason only

arm robber no go fit tiff am and do quick get away grin
Re: Is It A Crime To Drive Right Hand Cars In Nigeria: ? by joxiri: 7:39pm On Apr 06, 2009
Its a shame no one has been able to give the poster the relevant information, if there is anyone with useful information about it, they should please provide the the poster with it.
the whole discussion has been taken out of context.
Re: Is It A Crime To Drive Right Hand Cars In Nigeria: ? by oblo(m): 7:51pm On Apr 06, 2009
It is illegal!!!! Lets call a spade a spade, wether any tin day possible for naija or not!!! Beta to be on the good side of the law at any point in time, specially wit our men in black who look for the slightest excuse to detain you when on their market stands, sorry i meant checkpoints!! Lets be real it also not too safe cuz when you are drivin a RHD u will alwas be lookin in the opposite direction everytime, dats not saying u will not get used to it!! Wonder how dem day drive the tin sef, cuz me no be southpaw, never got the hang of using my left hand, to change them gear stick!!, So Oga poster, please try and change to LHD or kuku sell am get LHD.less sweat and trouble bro!
Re: Is It A Crime To Drive Right Hand Cars In Nigeria: ? by keyremotes(m): 8:19pm On Apr 06, 2009
[size=28pt]IT IS ILLEGAL! [/size][/size]
Re: Is It A Crime To Drive Right Hand Cars In Nigeria: ? by SapeleGuy: 7:52pm On Apr 24, 2009
Apparently, they are dangerous. There are so many things that could improve road safety in Nigeria, banning right hand drive cars isn't one of them:

Repairing the ditches in the road.
Repairing the potholes in the road.
Repairing the roads
Enforcing lane discipline
Annual certificate of road worthiness for cars
Bi Annual certificate of road worthiness for buses, tankers and articulated vehicles
Marking the roads.
Pursue drunk drivers
Improving street lighting.
Impounding vehicles with bald tyres.
Impounding vehicles that are obviously not roadworthy.
Driving tests with biometric id so we can be sure there is no cheating.

How can rhd be a priority with the amount of things they should be doing. I am sure the number of  rhd in the country are insignificant and the total numbers involved in road traffic accidents are even more so.

Sadly, we always let style triumph over substance.
Re: Is It A Crime To Drive Right Hand Cars In Nigeria: ? by tombola: 9:46am On Apr 25, 2009
this is the problem with Nigeria, break rules and go scort free with it - ok, its like someone asking the question, is it a crime to spend the pound in Nigeria? I guess someone will argue, it is not a crime to spend the pound in Nigeria because even though we changed our currency to the Naira, it is still up to you to spend the pound or not - this is the main reason why Nigeria will never progress, people refusing to take the laws of the land seriously, what a shame -

RHD cars had been outlawed, while do you want to drive a car type that you know that has been outlawed? And all people do is to blame government for everything, shio.
Re: Is It A Crime To Drive Right Hand Cars In Nigeria: ? by oblo(m): 12:43pm On Apr 25, 2009
@ tombolo, Nagode, ose jare thank you jooo, we really can be lawless for naija sha,,,its become part and percel of our culture kpa kpa!!!!
Re: Is It A Crime To Drive Right Hand Cars In Nigeria: ? by SapeleGuy: 1:17pm On Apr 25, 2009
LOL - Lawlessness. I now understand what Road Safety are enforcing at the cashpoints sorry i mean checkpoints on the roads and it is because of the RHD lawlessness that so many bribes sorry fines are collected.

http://www.frsc.gov.ng/offences.php

What about those who have rhd classic cars i.e. cars made before 1972, is this also illegal?

This law is wrong, the whole bill is up for renewal shortly, it is at this point FRSC will be challenged to produce the evidence / statistics that back up these erroneous claims. Every policy must be lead by evidence, if not lawmakers can wake up one day and say I don't like xyz let us ban it.
Re: Is It A Crime To Drive Right Hand Cars In Nigeria: ? by Nobody: 9:27pm On Apr 25, 2009
SapeleGuy has raised very valid points.

Unfortunately, Nigerians are very much into the "acceptance" culture, where they accept things, without questioning why.
If the Govt. FRSC, LASTMA etc say something, they accept it must be right.
Re: Is It A Crime To Drive Right Hand Cars In Nigeria: ? by tombola: 9:31pm On Apr 25, 2009
So every law of the land must be questioned instead of obeyed? I am alarmed! How can the country become better? Looks like we are doomed.
Re: Is It A Crime To Drive Right Hand Cars In Nigeria: ? by jubar007: 10:09pm On Apr 25, 2009
l
Siena:

SapeleGuy has raised very valid points.

Unfortunately, Nigerians are very much into the "acceptance" culture, where they accept things, without questioning why.
If the Govt. FRSC, LASTMA etc say something, they accept it must be right.

@siena, pls ave been tryin to get ur attention, how much would it be to convert a uk honda crv 2000 model

(1) (2) (Reply)

Urgent Advice Needed: Choice Between 1999 & 2001 Mercedes Benz C Class. / Dealership Level Diagnostics - Honda (1996 - 2018)- Electrical N Mechanical / Help! My Corolla Is Burning Ac Compresors

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.