Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,759 members, 7,875,911 topics. Date: Sunday, 30 June 2024 at 01:31 AM

Bulk Sms And 419, Can Some Explain This? - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Bulk Sms And 419, Can Some Explain This? (984 Views)

3 Things Microsoft Cannot Explain / New Way Of Sending Sms And Browsing Free On Mtn / Cyber-cafe Operators in Festac Having Problems With Police (419) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bulk Sms And 419, Can Some Explain This? by 2busy: 7:55am On Apr 06, 2009
Fellow nairalanders,
Is it possible for someone to use a name that has been used by another person( e.g Remlek)
or organisation (e.g Glo, 0803,) to send bulk sms?
I'll be glad if i can get answer to this question.
This is because a 419 sent an sms to me with O8O3 claiming it's from mtn!
Thank God i was smart enough to realise that O8O3 is different from 0803.
But I still need to know whether it's possible for another 419 to use 0803 or Glo etc?
Re: Bulk Sms And 419, Can Some Explain This? by visaconcepts: 8:14am On Apr 06, 2009
yes it is very possible please becareful
Re: Bulk Sms And 419, Can Some Explain This? by DualCore1: 8:58am On Apr 06, 2009
the 419er who sent with O8O3 i just a mumu because he still could have used the normal 0803. u can use any sender ID u want for bulk sms so be careful.

sometimes this works for me in detecting if the text sent is a bulk msg.
> look at the message center number used to send the text, or
> try to reply the text, the sender id, IMHO, is parsed as a String and not as characters so u won't be able to reply via that sender ID.
Re: Bulk Sms And 419, Can Some Explain This? by Nobody: 9:16am On Apr 06, 2009
got one 0803 saying i won i million in mtn's easter promo.

however, all bulk sms from mtn are now +24803. . .
Re: Bulk Sms And 419, Can Some Explain This? by 2busy: 9:40am On Apr 06, 2009
His message read" CONGRATULATION! YOUR MOBILE NUMBER HAVE WON N500000 IN THE ON-GOING EASTER PROMO,
ACTIVATING NUMBER (1535).FOR CLAIMS CALL 180 OR 07062268176"

But I think there should be a kind of security on this kind of system, such that when someone used a particular name,
no other person can use the same sender name.
That means 419 can also send sms using banks names like GTbank, PHB FBN etc.

We have to shine our eyes well well in this country, sleep with 1 eye open wink
Re: Bulk Sms And 419, Can Some Explain This? by Nobody: 11:49am On Apr 07, 2009
Interesting. Aaand DC, nice to see you. It has been awhile. . . .
Re: Bulk Sms And 419, Can Some Explain This? by rhamz: 1:35pm On Apr 07, 2009
Yes dis is very possible.Most bulk msg sites always let u to fill in ur sender id "ie the id dat will appear on the recipents phn". So the sender ids cld be numbers or alphebets. You cld receive a txt msg wit ur own phn number sending u d msg,you cld receive a txt msg wit a name stored in ur phn without d person sending u any msg, so you cld ave d msg frm MTN,Glo, etc without them sending any of them, be careful when u receive such msges.When u suspect d sender id, chk d details of d id."Most pple who fall 4 dis scam are greedy pple, "
Re: Bulk Sms And 419, Can Some Explain This? by sameolg616(m): 2:38am On Apr 24, 2009
yes, only greedy pple fall for it, its just difficult to ignore them, scammers use the internet to penetrate pples fones, those sites that send free sms, back in 2000, der was this site 1rstwap.com, u can send sms to anybody and u r allowed to feel in any name or number, thats what these scammers r using for their LOCAL
Re: Bulk Sms And 419, Can Some Explain This? by netotse(m): 4:10pm On Apr 27, 2009
true. . .infact now its too easy to make a txt appear as if its from someone else but dual core was right sha. . .

(1) (Reply)

Please Check This Picture And Tell Me The Cause I Need Help / Onspeed Username / Who are the GRADUATES of TTC Mobile ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.