Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,866 members, 7,973,002 topics. Date: Saturday, 12 October 2024 at 04:31 AM

Some Unemployed University Graduates Are Against The Upgrade Of Polytechnics - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Some Unemployed University Graduates Are Against The Upgrade Of Polytechnics (520 Views)

Covenant University Graduates 238 First Class Honours Students / Olumide Akinyemi Bags First Class From Finnish University, Graduates As The Best / Do Private University Graduates Find It Hard To Get Jobs In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Some Unemployed University Graduates Are Against The Upgrade Of Polytechnics by kstadaura: 7:57pm On Sep 09, 2015
Its really annoying and disheartening how some unemployed university graduates look down on their polytechnic conterparts and respond to the issue of HND/BSC dichotomy. There is a thread in the front page which gave account of how ASUP president pleaded with Federal government to upgrade Nigerian polytechnics so that they will be awarding degrees. But some comments there are really discouraging which i believed were posted by university students,some are saying'its never going to happen',' HND and Bsc are not the same so they should not be equalised' of course we know you people and the Nigerian government see it as inferior degree,thats on paper, but its not, is only the name that needs to be changed, here is why:

Am student in kaduna polytechnic and i know there are ABU students that are coming for practical work in our institution almost every quarter of the year because they dont have the instruments in their school. There was a university that borrowed a chartered Accountant from our school to get their accounting course approved.If you talk of HND graduates are paid lower, go to refinery, chemical engineers from polytechnics are being paid more than the administrative staffs of the same level with university degrees. I participated in the last election activities and my partner has a university degree but i had to be spelling words like 'FOUR' and 'CONSTITUENCY' for him, am not close to perfect in english language.

So you having university degree doesn't mean that you will be more successful than HND holder in real life, its a matter of who has longer leg and destiny. And pls stop thinking that if polytechnics are upgraded to be awarding degrees your chances of being employed will reduce.

Thank you for reading.
God bless Nigeria.

(1) (Reply)

FULAFIA 1st Batch Admission List 2015 Released / Fulafia First Batch List For The 2015/2016 Academic Session Finally Released!!! / Help!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.