Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,983 members, 7,973,387 topics. Date: Saturday, 12 October 2024 at 03:36 PM

Samsung May Introduce The First Smartphone With 6GB Of RAM - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Samsung May Introduce The First Smartphone With 6GB Of RAM (882 Views)

Do We Really Need 6GB Of RAM On Our Smartphones? / Whatsapp May Introduce ‘unsend’ Option To Save You From Embarrasment / See How A10 Fusion With 2gb Of Ram Murders Snapdragon 820 With 6gb Of Ram (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Samsung May Introduce The First Smartphone With 6GB Of RAM by banjicom(m): 12:50am On Sep 10, 2015
Minutes ago, Samsung announced that it has started mass producing of 12Gb LPDDR4 RAM chips using its 20nm process technology, being the first company on the globe to achieve the feat. As Samsung itself notes in its press release, this will allow the creation of smartphones with 6GB of RAM.

If these numbers don't seem to add up, then you should note the difference between lowercase and uppercase 'b'. Gb stands for Gigabit while GB stands for Gigabyte. As there are 8 bits in a byte, a 12Gb chip can actually hold in 1.5GB of information. By pairing together four such chips, Samsung can now make smartphones that come with a whopping 6GB of RAM.

According to Samsung, the new 12Gb LPDDR4 RAM chips will be 30 percent faster compared to the company's 8Gb chips while consuming 20 percent less power.

Back in December 2014, Samsung became the first company to mass produce 8Gb (1GB) LPDDR4 RAM chips. Smartphones such as the OnePlus 2, the Samsung Galaxy S6 edge+, and the Galaxy Note5 use four 8Gb chips from Samsung for a total of 4GB of RAM, which is the most we've seen on a smartphone so far.

Samsung says that future flagships will come with 6GB of RAM, which will allow for "seamless multitasking and maximum performance within the latest operating system (OS) environments". However, although more RAM is usually a good thing on any computing machine, it remains to be seen if 6GB of RAM isn't actually overkill on a smartphone, as it could appear at a first glance.

What do you guys think, is more RAM what high-end smartphones are currently missing?

Source : http://phonetweakers..com.ng/2015/09/samsung-may-introduce-first-smartphone.html

Re: Samsung May Introduce The First Smartphone With 6GB Of RAM by Nobody: 1:24am On Sep 10, 2015
ok
Re: Samsung May Introduce The First Smartphone With 6GB Of RAM by Nobody: 1:59am On Sep 10, 2015

>Having so much bloatware you need 6GB of RAM

Top kek. grin
Re: Samsung May Introduce The First Smartphone With 6GB Of RAM by Nobody: 3:07am On Sep 10, 2015
good! Need anything from Jumia? Contact me now!
Re: Samsung May Introduce The First Smartphone With 6GB Of RAM by Nobody: 4:29am On Sep 10, 2015
Huge ram with a weak processor and insufficient video memory would result in poor performance.

However I can see the application for massive ram especially when caching 4K video.
Re: Samsung May Introduce The First Smartphone With 6GB Of RAM by slap1(m): 7:42am On Sep 10, 2015
The price will be a bride price.
Re: Samsung May Introduce The First Smartphone With 6GB Of RAM by banjicom(m): 7:51am On Sep 10, 2015
slap1:
The price will be a bride price.
....Lol cheesy Maybe like 150k to 200k sha!
Re: Samsung May Introduce The First Smartphone With 6GB Of RAM by killzone(m): 8:47am On Sep 10, 2015
I still dey manage 2gb Ram when there is 4gb ram and now 6gb ram. Smartphones won't kill us
Re: Samsung May Introduce The First Smartphone With 6GB Of RAM by potolistic(m): 10:35am On Sep 10, 2015
The 0p was speaking Chinese so I couldn't comprehend anything he said in last post
Re: Samsung May Introduce The First Smartphone With 6GB Of RAM by banjicom(m): 11:07am On Sep 10, 2015
potolistic:
The 0p was speaking Chinese so I couldn't comprehend anything he said in last post

No need for you to understand, just read and move on cheesy

(1) (Reply)

I Need MTN Sm@rt 720i Stock Backup File / If You Can Relate With Any Phone Here Please Say Yes. / Customer Care Representatives Frustrating You?now U Can Call Ncc Directly

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.