Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,178,578 members, 7,905,214 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 July 2024 at 08:22 AM

This Has To Be The Most Wrongly Pronounced Word! - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / This Has To Be The Most Wrongly Pronounced Word! (786 Views)

Nigerian Man Returns N150 Million Wrongly Paid Into His Account In Qatar [photo] / 15 Wrongly Pronounced Words In English – Learn This / Seun Lalasticlala I Got Ban By The Anti Spam Bot Wrongly (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

This Has To Be The Most Wrongly Pronounced Word! by Mrval20(m): 8:18pm On Sep 12, 2015
I've noticed that most people pronounce 'September' wrongly.
Majority of Nigerians, including the highly educated ones, pronounce this word as

'Sect-ember'

Please and please, according to Wikipedia, the correct pronunciation is:

/sepˈtembər/

I mean Sep....not Sect!!

A funny experience:
A man I hold to a very high esteem, a Ph.D holder who has traveled to several countries, actually pronounced this same word as 'Sect-ember' today....Due to the respect I have for this man, I was forced to pronunce it the same way too(the wrong way) throughout our conversation in order not to make him feel embarrassed. After I was done with my task on his laptop, I quickly opened his Firefox browser and searched for the Wikipedia page which transcribed 'September' with the correct pronunciation and set it as his Home page on Firefox. I also copied the link and set it as the home page for all the other browsers in his laptop, just in case he chooses not to use Firefox.
So, whenever he opens any of his browsers, the first thing he'd see is the page explaining the correct pronunciation of September. Lol, hope this helps.

I'm safe because he wouldn't even suspect I did it and God knows I was only trying to helpsmiley
Re: This Has To Be The Most Wrongly Pronounced Word! by adedayourt(m): 8:19pm On Sep 12, 2015
A
Re: This Has To Be The Most Wrongly Pronounced Word! by angieberry(f): 8:29pm On Sep 12, 2015
Strange. I've never heard anyone pronounce it as 'sect' , even the less literate ones

2 Likes

Re: This Has To Be The Most Wrongly Pronounced Word! by dulux07(m): 8:41pm On Sep 12, 2015
Whats d big deal. undecided So far we understand wat he is sayin. we cari eng for head pas thos that started it.
Re: This Has To Be The Most Wrongly Pronounced Word! by Mrval20(m): 8:55pm On Sep 12, 2015
dulux07:
Whats d big deal. undecided So far we understand wat he is sayin. we cari eng for head pas thos that started it.
Coming from a guy whose signature says "knowledge is power"....Okay o.
I believe someone will find this useful.
Enjoy your weekend.

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

This Poor Woman Donated Her Kidney To Her Boss & Then Got Fired Later / WHAT GETS You Angry Easily? / Fear As Floods Wash Snakes Into Plateau Community (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.