Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,182,621 members, 7,918,011 topics. Date: Sunday, 11 August 2024 at 08:20 PM

Letter To My Friend: Why Illiterates Employ Graduates? A Friend Asked. - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Letter To My Friend: Why Illiterates Employ Graduates? A Friend Asked. (806 Views)

FG Set To Employ 300,000 Graduates For 2nd Phase Of N-power Scheme / Vacancy!!! Governor Elrufai To Employ Graduates In Kaduna State (how To Apply) / See The Mail That Was Sent To My Friend After Her Interview At Awe Poly (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Letter To My Friend: Why Illiterates Employ Graduates? A Friend Asked. by micronut(m): 8:10pm On Sep 18, 2015
Good Day Fellow hustlers and job searchers in the Nigeria. How Market? Any Progress? How many CV have we sent today?? Countless many would say. Well, we would all get there.

Today, i was on Facebook when my very good long time friend posted a question, he asked; Education use to be very important until Graduates started working for illiterates. Why?

I felt like bye-passing the post but feel concerned to lend my voice. Below is my Reply to him.

Dear Ore mi (My Friend),
Oma to jo meta ( Quite a while)! How has it been? (Se ko koja afarada). Well i was moved by your post above and feel like sharing my experience.

You see Ore (My Friend), Graduates would continue to be working for illiterates if we continue to be searching endlessly for unavailable jobs.
Illiterates and businessmen now create most of the jobs we all crave for, yet many of us feel so unconcerned to start something. We either complain of no capital or no idea. These illiterates embark on many unrefined and crude adventure, they turn it around in the nick of time and we started feeling jittery about their success even when they don't have certificate.

Ore mi, Let me give you a test sample, try and post an unavailable job online, get a venue, print pages of Gmath Question, find like 3 of your friends that look cool in suit blazers. Wait till after 2days, check and read CV's from people applying for jobs they don't even know what you do, do they even care? They just want you to employ them, as long as you can pay them peanut that covers feeding and transport. That's how bad the job market is, so flooded. Many in their thousands move to Lagos and Abuja for sales job, Internship (At least i knew how i begged people to employ me few months too, so am a victim of this),office boy in the name of office Assistant in lekki owned by a smart guy who could have employed an SSCE boy or girl but wish to employ graduates just to either help to reduce the job market or to make him a big boss. Hmn!

Ore have you ever wondered why baba morilii (olokada) beside your house or baba esther the panel beater has built a house yet we have many school teachers or even principals that are chief tenants since 1979.

Let me share my experience with you, While i was serving, in the bit to augment my alawi and taking into consideration that NYSC would be over in a matter of months. I intensified my job search, luckily i applied for the post of an administrative assistant from an advert i saw online.

A friend and I were lucky to be selected, we kitted up in suit with our pali well arranged and neatly filed. What we saw at the interview venue was one experience that would linger on with me, for long.

We are about 58 applicants competing for 3 positions (the company secretary and HR) inclusive. We were asked all manners of questions ranging from who was the minister of agriculture, who was deputy gov of kwara state, questions on hygiene and environmental management..In short, all kinds of irrelevant questions just to waste our precious time, all in the name of conducting interviews.

But who are we to complain? Bunch of clueless and jobless youths we were. Did i mention that the company also recruited for marketers and labourers with HND or Degree? How demeaning and undignifying you may say.

Let me now paint the part that surprised me most, an OND graduate from Kwarapoly owns the small company. He has 3 management staffs already, with few field workers. He told us, he was employing only 2guys and 1lady.

He also told us the history of his company. He started in 2011 with pure water factory as machine worker, he started doing overtime, he saved and started buying cashew nuts across ogbomoso and minna. He suddenly become a big boy, bought cars and started a small farm and waste control and management company.

I felt sorry for myself that day, i should be older than the guy self, i was like imagine this "thing ooo" employing Bsc and masters holder.. Oga ooo!

I sat down and felt the guy was indeed smart. A lot of us would complain from today till 2020 basking in the euphoria of our 2.1 in Microbiology or Sociology. We have ideas, we have initiatives and technical know how than these illiterates but "ego" would not make us attempt to do something.

Until we change our attitude about success, making a living and placement of values, these unlettered guys, risk-taking dudes and the "never mind guys" would not stop employing us. Am telling you this as a good friend of mine, life is not as we think.

Today, my father seldomly send me 5k or 7k per month. Many friend would say, haa but ur dad is a chief now. I asked them, which "Chief"?? A village Chief who still go out to cut bush as a surveyor? Funny enough... The economy is now harsh, no salary for workers ,no body to buy land or do survey.

Ko wa tan bi?? (Can you now see), that No be wen u see people buy land u go see money?. Now is that the kind of father i would rely on? People would promise you jobs, when you go there from January till June, eyes go push you sote, one day your brain go tell you say they are not willing to help. Then, you talk to your leg and look else where.

My broda, i may not have been gainfully employed o, but have been blessed with ideas that paints a beautiful picture with god support. I may not have done so much for myself o, but at least have had a change of attitude, that it's not about what you study, what you graduate with or even whether you are an illiterate or a graduate. "Atelewo eni kin ta'ani je" (Believe in your hustle).

Am on the street hustling big time, have packed my 2.1 for one corner, and trying to see if i could have make sense of my life and act as if i didn't go to school. Today i have a friend of mine, a first class scholar, in final year of a Federal University, studying mass communication and learning shoe making. many have condemn him but i applauded the move, its a good way to start. May be in the future he may be the richest journalist Nigeria ever had with a shoe-making company.

Kunle, we would all make it, if we start something and start anyhow, selling recharge cards, making pop-corns, plantain chips, business centres, rearing animals, fish farming and many others. It may not do much, but it would pay our bills while we keep looking for that job if we still feel the need.

Remember, this is my friendly contribution and it's in no way to demean us but to awaken the giants in us. I leave you with this quote that says,"For better or worse, our future will be determined in large part by our dreams and by the struggle to make them real".

Thank You for your Time, we would all make it by God's grace, it's only a matter of time before we supplant the forces that is impeding us to grow.

Micronut

cc: lalasticlala, ishilove and seun.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Letter To My Friend: Why Illiterates Employ Graduates? A Friend Asked. by henribj(m): 8:14pm On Sep 18, 2015
summary??
Re: Letter To My Friend: Why Illiterates Employ Graduates? A Friend Asked. by Cutehector(m): 8:26pm On Sep 18, 2015
Dominique.

Cheeeeooooiiiii... A word is enough for d wise. I hav learnt my lesson.
Re: Letter To My Friend: Why Illiterates Employ Graduates? A Friend Asked. by micronut(m): 8:31pm On Sep 18, 2015
henribj:
summary??

Smile! In summary: That in today's country and world at large, Success is not by Educational status (Graduates or No graduates) and Until we start creating jobs for ourselves, loads of present and unborn illiterates would continue to employ university graduates, pay their salaries and dictates to them what to do and what not.
Re: Letter To My Friend: Why Illiterates Employ Graduates? A Friend Asked. by absoluteSuccess: 8:37pm On Sep 18, 2015
You forget the part that illiterates invented education to preserve their industry. Industry is an ongoing education, you don't need education to be industrious.

3 Likes

Re: Letter To My Friend: Why Illiterates Employ Graduates? A Friend Asked. by henribj(m): 8:39pm On Sep 18, 2015
micronut:

Smile! In summary: That in today's country and world at large, Success is not by Educational status (Graduates or No graduates) and Until we start creating jobs for ourselves, loads of present and unborn illiterates would continue to employ university graduates, pay their salaries and dictates to them what to do and what not.

ahhh OP, you are wicked o shocked
so you even know how to summarize that long story and yet you still went ahead to punish us with that long story? ahh it is not fair o

2 Likes

Re: Letter To My Friend: Why Illiterates Employ Graduates? A Friend Asked. by boboLIL(m): 8:44pm On Sep 18, 2015
Summarize am again abeg
Re: Letter To My Friend: Why Illiterates Employ Graduates? A Friend Asked. by ekmike(m): 10:52am On Dec 02, 2015
Your opinion is quite on point.. Thanks for sharing
Re: Letter To My Friend: Why Illiterates Employ Graduates? A Friend Asked. by beacon02(m): 11:58am On Dec 02, 2015
The problem with our graduates is pride and shame. The day we remove those two things from our life is the day we are saved. I've been into phone business immediately i graduated. And after NYSC, I've already opened a standard shop doing what I derive interest in. You may say it is easy for me to do because my parents are rich or I have people who can help around me, you are wrong. I started small while in school. I keep off from extravagant life and don't run after girls who have nothing to offer than sex. I didn't have any helper, the only helper i had was my mum. She died while I was in 300L. my dad is a stroke patient, yet I know I must survive.
Eventhough I'm not at where I wish to be today, thank God I'm far ahead of most that had better results than me.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Makeup Artist Intern / Receptionist Needed Asap / Enroyale Global Services Limited / Latest Graduate IT Support Officers Jobs At Origin Group, Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.