Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,632 members, 7,951,629 topics. Date: Tuesday, 17 September 2024 at 07:50 PM

Prof. Mobolaji's Death: Our Ummah Lost An ICON - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Prof. Mobolaji's Death: Our Ummah Lost An ICON (3571 Views)

1 Ummah Present Peace & Unity Conventions 2016 Abuja Nigeria / An Important Notice To The Muslim Ummah / Calling To The Unity Of The Mulim Ummah. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Prof. Mobolaji's Death: Our Ummah Lost An ICON by personal59: 10:48am On Sep 21, 2015
Prof. Mobolaji's Death: Our Ummah lost an ICON

Members of the Muslim Students' Society of Nigeria, Lagos State Area Unit commiserate with the family of Prof. AbdulHakeem Mobolaji on his death and that of his son. The Mobolajis had an accident today, Sunday 20th September along Lagos-Ibadan Expressway.

Prof. Mobolaji was until his death the acting Vice-Chancellor of Fountain University, Osogbo; a Senior Lecturer at the University of Ilorin and the Board Chairman of Al-Barakah Microfinance Bank.

Mobolaji earned Bachelor and Master Degree in Economics at the University of Ibadan; Master degree in Islamic Banking, Finance and Management at the Loughborough University and Doctorate degree at University of Leicester.

Also, he was a former Amir (President) of MSSN, Oyo State Chapter.

We pray that Allah should overlook their shortcomings, forgive their sins and grant their soul paradise. May He grant the family, friends, colleagues and the entire ummah the fortitude to bear the loss.

Amir Kaamil Kalejaiye
Amir (President)
MSSN, Lagos State Area Unit
amir@mssnlagos.net, www.mssnlagos.net

2 Likes

Re: Prof. Mobolaji's Death: Our Ummah Lost An ICON by avizk: 10:54am On Sep 21, 2015
May Allah forgive his sins and admit him in al-jannah firdaus

1 Like

Re: Prof. Mobolaji's Death: Our Ummah Lost An ICON by avizk: 10:55am On Sep 21, 2015
Inna lillahi wa inna ilayhi raji'un
TRIBUTE TO PROFESSOR MOBOLAJI HAKEEM ISHOLA

All praise and thanks are due to Allah. We praise and give thanks to Him. We seek His aid and ask for His forgiveness and we seek Allah’s refuge from the evil of ourselves and from our evil actions. Whomsoever Allah guides then non can misguides him, and whomsoever He misguides then non can guides him. I bear witness that none has the right to be worshiped except Allah, alone, having no partner, and I bear witness that Muhammad (peace be upon him) is His slave and His Messenger.

Professor Abdul Hakeem Mobolaji died today at the age of 49years (28 Sept, 1966 – 20 September 2015). This iconic figure is many things to different people. I share with you his profile from his resume sent to me recently in connect with a project to be executed in Fountain University for the purpose of uplifting the university selflessly. He wrote the resume himself, not knowing he was bequeathing to upcoming generation his milestones and accomplishments. Mobolaji came to the world as a Muslim activist; he worked tirelessly for Islam; he was honoured by Allah with good health and brilliant thoughts; he was honored by men who entrusted him with sensitive assignments; his brothers entrusted him with herculean tasks; he excelled to the limit of his capacities and potentials. His interest is not pecuniary benefits that many run after, but how Islam and the Ummah would be uplifted intellectually, ideologically and economically in order for the Ummah to be able to fulfil its mandate in Nigeria and beyond. I GOT the message of his death shocked! I cannot sleep because we are close. I visited him recently in Fountain; we have unfinished assignments and tall dreams on how to benefit humanity. These tall dreams and unfinished assignments may lie fallow until Allah raises the like of Omo Alhaja. He was born an activist; he lived as activist; he was on activism assignment and he died the death of true activist along with his activist son. He would insha Allah be raised among the activists on the day of Judgement, amin.   Till we meet insha Allah on the day of judgement. I pray as follows:
Allaahum-maghfir lahu warhamhu, wa 'aafihi, wa'fu 'anhu, wa 'akrim nuzulahu, wa wassi' mudkhalahu, waghsilhu bilmaa'i waththalji walbaradi, wa naqqihi minal-khataayaa kamaa naqqaytath-thawbal-'abyadha minad-danasi, wa 'abdilhu daaran khayran min daarihi, wa 'ahlan khayran min 'ahlihi, wa zawjan khayran min zawjihi, wa 'adkhilhul-jannata, wa. 'a'ithhu min 'athaabil-qabri[wa 'athaabin-naar].
O Allah, forgive him and have mercy on him and give him strength and pardon him. Be generous to him and cause his entrance to be wide and wash him with water and snow and hail. Cleanse him of his transgressions as white cloth is cleansed of stains. Give him an abode better than his home, and a family better than his family and a wife better than his wife. Take him into Paradise and protect him from the punishment of the grave [and from the punishment of Hell-fire]
His Academic and Professional Profile

1. Academic and Professional Qualification
PhD Economics, Department of Economics, University of Leicester, UK                    2008
M.A Islamic Banking and Finance, Loughborough University, UK (Distinction)           2005                                                                                                                       
M.Sc Economics, University of Ibadan, Nigeria                                                         1992
B.Sc Economics, University of Ibadan, Nigeria (Second Class Upper)                     1990
ACTI, Chartered Institute of Taxation of Nigeria                                                          2000

2. Previous and Present Positions
Senior Inspector of Taxes, Federal Inland Revenue Service, Nigeria                 1993-2001
Lecturer, Department of Economics, University of Ilorin                                        2001-2009
Postgraduate Coordinator, Dept of Economics, Unilorin                                     2009-2010
Senior Lecturer, Department of Economics, Fountain University                          2010-2011
Ag.Head of Department, Economics Dept, Fountain University                            2010-2011
Chairman, Board of Directors, Al-Barakah Microfinance Bank, Lagos                   2010 to date
Senior Lecturer, Department of Economics, UNILORIN                                        2012 to date
Ag. Head of Department, Economics Department, UNILORIN                              2012 to Date
Research Associate, Nigerian Institute for Social and Economic Research          2012 to Date
Special Assistant to DG, National Institute for Legislative Studies (NILS)             2013 -2014
Head, Public Finance and Macroeconomics Unit (NILS), National Assembly          2014 -2015
Professor, Head of Department, Economics, Fountain University, Osogbo            2015 to date

3. International Experience
Associate Tutor, Management Centre, University of Leicester                          2004-2006
Associate Tutor, Department of Economics, University of Leicester                  2005-2008
Senior Research Fellow, Centre for African Research and Resources
Development, (CARRD) UK                                                                                  2008  
Consultant, Alexander Brookes Training, UK/CBN                                           2009 to date

4. OTHER ADMINISRATIVE EXPERIENCE
Chairman, Publicity committee of the senate, 2010
Chairman, College Research Committee College of Management and
Social Sciences (COMAS) Fountain University, Osogbo  (FUO), 2011
Chairman, University Guest Lecture series, FUO, 2011
Member, Joint Council/Senate committee on Honorary Awards, (FUO), 2011
Alternate Chairman,Senate Ceremonial Committee, (FUO), 2011
Member,  Fountain University Ventures (FUO), 2011                                                                                 
Member, Senate  council, University of Ilorin, 2012
Member, Nigerian University Research and Development committee, Unilorin, 2012

5. Professional Membership
Member, Nigerian Economics Society   1994                                                                                          
Associate member, Chartered Institute of Taxation of Nigeria                        2000
Member, International Association of Islamic Economics                                 2004
Member, Development Studies Association (UK)                                             2005
Member, African Econometrics Society                                                            2006

6. Research
Research Interest
·         Financial  Economics , Development Economics and Applied Econometrics

Refereeing
Journal of Applied Financial Economics (UK), Journal of Social Responsibility (UK), Journal of Applied Economics (UK), Journal of Economic Studies (UK), Lapai International Journal of Management and Social Sciences (Nig), Journal of Sports Business and Management (UK)
African Finance Journal (South Africa), Economic and Financial Review (CBN, Nigeria)

Community/National service
Member, Finance Technical Working Group, National Integrated infrastructure Development Master plan (2014-2043) Federal Government                                                                           2013

Member, Editorial Board , Ilorin Journal of Economic Policy (IJEP)                        2015
Editor in Chief, Fountain University Journal of Management Sciences                   2015

Some Past Consultancy/Research Grants Won
TETFUND/ Research Grant, NUC  on Public Good provision and Public Perception of State legitimacy in Ilorin Metropolis, Kwara State in  2014, 
NILS, National Assembly Research Grant on Out of school incidence in Nigeria, Abuja A pilot-study.                                                                                                        2014, Grant to facilitate Panel Econometrics workshop by  West African Monetary Institute, Ghana, 2014,  Research Grant from NISER,  to buildNISER Econometric Model for Nigeria, 2012,  ECOWAS Research grant on Financial integration in West Africa, 2011,  Research Grant from  National Committee of Experts on Wage Fixing in Nigeria 2010, advise Federal Government on appropriate wages for Nigerian Workers and Mathematics Adviser, students Learning Centre, Univers

1 Like

Re: Prof. Mobolaji's Death: Our Ummah Lost An ICON by lanrehamd: 11:26am On Sep 21, 2015
WE MISS YOU PROF.........

Professor Abdul Hakeem Mobolaji died on sun. 20th Sept. 2015 at the age of 49years (28 Sept, 1966 – 20 September 2015). This iconic figure is many things to different people.
I share with you his profile from his resume sent to me recently in connect with a project to be executed in Fountain University for the purpose of uplifting the university selflessly. He wrote the resume himself, not knowing he was bequeathing to upcoming generation his milestones and accomplishments. Till we meet insha Allah on the day of judgement.

I pray as follows:

(Allaahum-maghfir lahu warhamhu, wa 'aafihi, wa'fu 'anhu, wa 'akrim nuzulahu, wa wassi' mudkhalahu, waghsilhu bilmaa'i waththalji walbaradi, wa naqqihi minal-khataayaa kamaa naqqaytath-thawbal-'abyadha minad-danasi, wa 'abdilhu daaran khayran min daarihi, wa 'ahlan khayran min 'ahlihi, wa zawjan khayran min zawjihi, wa 'adkhilhul-jannata, wa. 'a'ithhu min 'athaabil-qabri[wa 'athaabin-naar[/b]).

O Allah, forgive him and have mercy on him and give him strength and pardon him. Be generous to him and cause his entrance to be wide and wash him with water and snow and hail. Cleanse him of his transgressions as white cloth is cleansed of stains. Give him an abode better than his home, and a family better than his family and a wife better than his wife. Take him into Paradise and protect him from the punishment of the grave [and from the punishment of Hell-fire][/b]
[/i]
His Academic and Professional Profile

1. Academic and Professional Qualification PhD Economics, Department of Economics, University of Leicester, UK
2008 M.A Islamic Banking and Finance, Loughborough University, UK (Distinction)
2005 M.Sc Economics, University of Ibadan, Nigeria
1992 B.Sc Economics, University of Ibadan, Nigeria (Second Class Upper)
ACTI, Chartered Institute of Taxation of Nigeria 2000

2. Previous and Present Positions
Senior Inspector of Taxes, Federal Inland Revenue Service, Nigeria 1993-2001
Lecturer, Department of Economics, University of Ilorin 2001-2009
Postgraduate Coordinator, Dept of Economics, Unilorin 2009-2010 Senior Lecturer,
Department of Economics, Fountain University 2010-2011
Ag.Head of Department, Economics Dept, Fountain University 2010-2011 Chairman,
Board of Directors, Al-Barakah Microfinance Bank, Lagos 2010 to date Senior Lecturer,
Department of Economics, UNILORIN 2012 to date
Ag. Head of Department, Economics Department, UNILORIN 2012 to Date Research Associate,
Nigerian Institute for Social and Economic Research 2012 to Date
Special Assistant to DG, National Institute for Legislative Studies (NILS) 2013 -2014 Head,
Public Finance and Macroeconomics Unit (NILS), National Assembly 2014 -2015
Professor, Head of Department, Economics, Fountain University, Osogbo 2015 to date

3. International Experience
Associate Tutor, Management Centre, University of Leicester 2004-2006
Associate Tutor, Department of Economics, University of Leicester 2005-2008
Senior Research Fellow, Centre for African Research and Resources Development, (CARRD) UK 2008
Consultant, Alexander Brookes Training, UK/CBN 2009 to date

4. OTHER ADMINISRATIVE EXPERIENCE
Chairman, Publicity committee of the senate, 2010 Chairman,
College Research Committee College of Management and Social Sciences (COMAS) Fountain University, Osogbo (FUO), 2011
Chairman, University Guest Lecture series, FUO, 2011 Member,
Joint Council/Senate committee on Honorary Awards, (FUO), 2011
Alternate Chairman,Senate Ceremonial Committee, (FUO), 2011 Member,
Fountain University Ventures (FUO), 2011 Member,
Senate council, University of Ilorin, 2012 Member,
Nigerian University Research and Development committee, Unilorin, 2012

5. Professional Membership
Member, Nigerian Economics Society 1994 Associate member,
Chartered Institute of Taxation of Nigeria 2000 Member,
International Association of Islamic Economics 2004
Member, Development Studies Association (UK) 2005
Member, African Econometrics Society 2006

6. Research
Research Interest
• Financial Economics , Development Economics and Applied Econometrics

Refereeing
Journal of Applied Financial Economics (UK),
Journal of Social Responsibility (UK),
Journal of Applied Economics (UK),
Journal of Economic Studies (UK),
Lapai International Journal of Management and Social Sciences (Nig),
Journal of Sports Business and Management (UK)
African Finance Journal (South Africa),
Economic and Financial Review (CBN, Nigeria)

Community/National service
Member, Finance Technical Working Group,
National Integrated infrastructure Development Master plan (2014) Federal Government
Member, Editorial Board , Ilorin Journal of Economic Policy (IJEP) 2015 Editor in Chief,
Fountain University Journal of Management Sciences 2015

Some Past Consultancy/Research Grants Won TETFUND/ Research Grant,
NUC on Public Good provision and Public Perception of State legitimacy in Ilorin Metropolis, Kwara State in 2014,
NILS, National Assembly Research Grant on Out of school incidence in Nigeria, Abuja A pilot study .2014,
Grant to facilitate Panel Econometrics workshop by West African Monetary Institute, Ghana, 2014,
Research Grant from NISER, to build NISER Econometric Model for Nigeria, 2012,
ECOWAS Research grant on Financial integration in West Africa, 2011,
Research Grant from National Committee of Experts on Wage Fixing in Nigeria 2010,
advise Federal Government on appropriate wages for Nigerian Workers and Mathematics Adviser, students Learning Centre.

PROF.......WE LOVE YOU, BUT ALLAH LOVE YOU MOST.
MAY ALLAH GRANT YOU AL-JANAT FIRDAUS
Re: Prof. Mobolaji's Death: Our Ummah Lost An ICON by PrinceGallant: 12:54pm On Sep 21, 2015
May Allaah grant his family fortitude to bear the loss. I felt unhappy reading the story but I thank God the father and son died as Muslims. May Allaah forgive their shortcomings and grant them paradise.
Re: Prof. Mobolaji's Death: Our Ummah Lost An ICON by akeebagp: 1:07pm On Sep 21, 2015
may Allah overlook his shortcomings n grant him Aljannah Firdaus.
Re: Prof. Mobolaji's Death: Our Ummah Lost An ICON by dmy(m): 1:22pm On Sep 21, 2015
Innna Lilahi Wahina Ilaihi Rajiun.Soo sad.May Allah forgive their sins and grant them Aljanat firdaus.AMIN
Re: Prof. Mobolaji's Death: Our Ummah Lost An ICON by personal59: 6:34pm On Sep 21, 2015
Abu Faatimah, Abdullateef ibn Sasiq wrote... And that is the end of a precious gem. We invited him for our valedictory symposium of the Final Year Muslims' Forum of the Federal University of Agriculture, Abeokuta. He arrived towards the period of magrib at Abeokuta, and was lodged at the Ogun-Osun River Basin Development Authority guest house close to FUNAAB. What baffled me the most was the fact that he voluntarily released his jeep for us that evening to run some little errands for the program till the following morning. Which professor can do that in Nigeria? When he came to the hall ANENIH 01, he appeared as simple as possible,and delivered the lecture that made me see him as a role model. I have not come across an academic of such high position who still maintains his religion. He didn't do isbal, his beards were there, and from his speech one would see the sunnah in him. He told us not to compromise our faiths, never, no matter the pressure. Do not shave your beards or drag your trousers below your ankle, or reduce your hijaab length because of trying to please some people. "I worked at the world bank without shaving my beards, the national assembly, and even lectured abroad without compromising my faith" he said. This looked different, as many would tell you that you can't get there without compromising. He said that the closer you get to Allaah, the farther you are from shaytaan, and vice versa. He also said with regards to job seeking, that if you closed your eyes from haraam, Allaah will open your eyes to halaal, so be patient, and don't compromise your faith. He also quoted the hadeeth where the prophet dined with his companions at another's house, and said that we shall account for even this food that Allaah has provided for us, and by implication, we shall all account for our income, how we got them, how we use them, on what we use them... He jokingly told us that he had two wives and twelve children. An economist! How many can do that? Instead they criticize against it. He is just a rare gem. These are words that I only hear from scholars, or lecturers who are not in lofty positions like Prof's own. This caught me in the heart, and made me see him as a model. But little did we know that he had less than 24 hours on the surface of the earth... Little did we know that he was unknowingly preparing to transit to the next world. May Allaah forgive him and shower his Mercy on him, accept his strivings as acts of 'ibaadah, and count him amongst the martyrs. We can't say he is, we can only pray to Allaah to make him one.

1 Like

Re: Prof. Mobolaji's Death: Our Ummah Lost An ICON by personal59: 7:12pm On Sep 21, 2015
Abu Abdillah An-naigeriiyiy

he placed two pen on a table South-south to each other with a little distance, he placed his ID card in between them, he said "this ID card is u, the first pen is Allah's side, the second pen is shaytan's side", he draw the ID card closer to first pen and said "you can see the closer of the ID card to the first one influence the distance of the ID card to the second pen", then he said "the closer you are to shaytan, the far you are to Allah, and the closer you are to Allah, the far you are to shaytan". Oh Allah, we know he is not complete, overlook your servant's error and admit him to your mercy.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Prof. Mobolaji's Death: Our Ummah Lost An ICON by Abdulhakeem7(m): 9:45pm On Sep 21, 2015
May Allah forgive dem both and b pleased with dem.....really painful buh Allah has done the best for him and d son. May Allah give us d fortitude to bear d irreparable lost
Re: Prof. Mobolaji's Death: Our Ummah Lost An ICON by amodu(m): 8:01am On Sep 22, 2015
What a great loss to the Unmah! A pride and shinning light of Al-Islam!!

Well, as Allah pleases that the time is right for him and his son. Nothing can be done than supplicating for them to be inmates of Al-Janah.

May Allah be pleased with them, accept all their good deeds on earth and forgive all their shortcomings.

Yaa hayatuha nafsu-ul-mutmaheenatu; irjihi ila robika rodiyatan mordiyatan; fadkulii fiihibadii; wadkulii janatii.

Re: Prof. Mobolaji's Death: Our Ummah Lost An ICON by bjbukzy(m): 7:45pm On Sep 22, 2015
He was my lecturer in unilorin amd was a man Of great character. Through him i learnt dat u can make money in halal way

(1) (Reply)

The Last Sermon Of Prophet Muhammad(s.a.w) / The Merits Of Islam / Freedom Or Destruction?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.