Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,878 members, 7,889,927 topics. Date: Monday, 15 July 2024 at 02:51 AM

Lamentations Of A Nigerian Tech Blogger - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Lamentations Of A Nigerian Tech Blogger (1130 Views)

Photos: Nigerian Tech Blogger Jide Ogunsanya Traditional Wedding In Ijebu-ode / Top Nigerian Tech Blogger, Jide Ogunsaya Weds... See PHOTOS / Tobi Ayeni – 500 Words On Nigeria’s Best Female Tech Blogger (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lamentations Of A Nigerian Tech Blogger by ITbomb(m): 4:19pm On Sep 22, 2015
Ok, you wanna start a blog?
Yeah!
What is your niche?
Tech
Great, Welcome to Hell!

There are various niche in the blogosphere that strives well in Nigeria viz Entertainment/General news (including the amebor zones), Sport, Music, Religious/Inspirational, Health, Tech, Marketing etc, But why choose Tech.

I started blogging with a passion to be the top tech blog for information. In the the way I put it in my blog description, “ITy UNIT Tech Blog is a fast growing tech blog for latest technology news and updates”. I then proudly dropped the link to a Google ‘Technie’ online friend for his personally review on how to monetize it, he gave me the most depressing critique ever, I quote “You could have just say – ITy UNIT Tech Blog is a fast growing cancer – Adsense would still turn you down all the same”.

Why

Tech world is already saturated with many authoritative sources and platform which Google place their adverts. When someone is looking for the latest update in technology, they rarely go to shelaf, yomiprof, ityunit, techblogng, techrez, misstechy, techcabal etc, they go instead to the specific platform – arstechni, greenbot, windowsforum, gsmarena etc. Google knows that and they would not bother giving you any second adsense review approval.

So how do these “Tech” bloggers in Nigeria survived? I took an extensive look at what they do and the truth stuck me!

In the beginning of the blogging days, their posts were mainly news on the latest Tech Products and Events and some How-Tos. Then later, probably after looking at Google Analytics, they tend to be concentrating on the How-To, Tweaks, Freebies and Cheats as they are the ones with the greatest hits as far as tech traffic in Nigeria is concern.

Possibly apart from misstechy who has been somehow consistent in the “real” tech blogging with her loyal fans, others have moved on to give more food to the cow that is producing more milk – Tweaks and Freebies.

In conclusion, as far as I am concern, it seems Nigerians do not care about your post about the latest tech news or events eg latest about Google Android Mashshallow, they just need two things from tech blogs;

1. Reviews about the phones they wish to buy, and
2. How to tweak to get free internet on their new phones.

Once they have gotten that, they are off to nairaland, LIB and other amebor blogs and FB pages to read about Tonto Dike’s cleavage or type “Amen” to any “Jesus” pix or any accident-related pix they pray to avoid.

But then, we at www.ityunit.com will continue to strive to adapt, improvise and overcome

Beginner's Guide to the Blogger Dashboard and Settings Interface
Re: Lamentations Of A Nigerian Tech Blogger by fattbabakay(m): 5:57pm On Sep 22, 2015
na true
Re: Lamentations Of A Nigerian Tech Blogger by wx9Z: 7:59pm On Sep 22, 2015
LOL, bros e no easy o. No be only for tech blogs.
Re: Lamentations Of A Nigerian Tech Blogger by luigiajah(m): 6:13am On Sep 23, 2015
Bros na true talk. The only advantage is that we get much traffic from Google
Re: Lamentations Of A Nigerian Tech Blogger by Warlord3000(m): 6:56am On Sep 23, 2015
WELCOME TO MY WORLD cheesy

no cheat.. No interest.....

To maintain 2k views/day na wahala smiley

Not to talk of the income generated..

Sometimes you wonder if it's really worth it cheesy

All is well...

It can get better Sha..
Re: Lamentations Of A Nigerian Tech Blogger by Gerrard59(m): 10:44am On Sep 23, 2015
Quite true. Why go to Jericho to obtain information about a product/service when you can get it at Jerusalem?

If I need reviews I head to Mashable, the Verge and ultimately Gsmarena. Besides, the kind of phones I love reviewing are not covered by Nigerian tech blogs. The likes of LG G2, Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge, Sony Xperia Z1 compact, HTC-ONE M7 etc. That been said, I love the topics on tech cabal, broad and very edutaining and interesting. Just keep up the tempo, and stick with your niche for I believe there're Nigerians who would love what you do( even though they are less in number).

Although, I wonder how a blogger like Jarus copes with the little comments he gets on his blog( which is very rich in content) 'cos if it were to be me I would have stopped long ago.

1 Like

Re: Lamentations Of A Nigerian Tech Blogger by ITbomb(m): 11:01am On Sep 23, 2015
Gerrard59:
Quite true.

Although, I wonder how a blogger like Jarus copes with the little comments he gets on his blog( which is very rich in content) 'cos if it were to be me I would stopped long ago.

In Jarus case, I would say that the blog is more of a supplement to an already established path so it is understandable.
ICT innovations are rare in Nigeria and no blogger has a man in Silicon Valley to get the latest inside story. The best way is just to know your audience and feed them more with what they want while adding a bit of innovative informations as a link in the most-hits articles

(1) (Reply)

Hire A Quality Article Spinner Here / Cheap Cloud Hosting-linux / Dont Miss This Offer!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.