Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,192,040 members, 7,946,542 topics. Date: Wednesday, 11 September 2024 at 08:27 PM

Courtesy Or Right: Who Was Right And Who Was Wrong? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Courtesy Or Right: Who Was Right And Who Was Wrong? (897 Views)

Mercedes-amg C63 S Coupe Gets 700PS Courtesy Of Manhart (car Pictures) / Photos Of Sports Minister, Solomon Dalong On A Courtesy Visit To Innoson Company (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Courtesy Or Right: Who Was Right And Who Was Wrong? by Boyooosa(m): 5:21pm On Sep 22, 2015
Early yesterday morning, on my way to town, I boarded a taxi plying Area 1 (in Abuja), was coming from Apo. The journey was smooth and quiet because everybody was busy wit his/her phone. The driver broke the silence when he shouted 'Ba shangee'. Every body was like 'ha ha, what happened?'. I looked round and i noticed the guy was shouting at me. I immediately discovered dat it was the N500 Nigerian note that i gave to him that raised the alarm. I said calmly, 'I dont have smaller denomination with me and....'. b4 i could complete my statement he just said 'why u no tell me b4 u enter'. I vexed and said firmly that, 'that should have been your own responsibility, telling me that u do not have change b4 i entered'. The guy muted but a solicitor in-front of the car, maybe he felt he is more enlightened interrupted and said that i was supposed to be the one to inform d driver before coming in. that statement upset me and i said annoyingly that 'the driver should be responsible for that!'. He got more aggressive on his claims and confronted me again that, 'It is your duty to inform the driver' and I finally asked him that 'Which law stated that?'. That was how the gentleman ran out of point and converted the argument to Hausa facing the driver and giving him some orientation(as i suspected cos i dont speak nor understand hausa) in aggressive voice. I felt a fracas was about ensuing and i found peace in the Lord grin.
But in the actual sense of it, who was right and who was wrong? Pls Justify your opinion/view without bias or sentiment, because people will be relying on ur comment and it might settle a situation that might lead to breach of peace some other tym.
Meanwhile, I want to use this medium to move a motion that NL should adopt 'LEGAL or CONSTITUTION' as part of the Topics NLERS will be patronizing. The Main Objectives will be for discussing and ironing out such situations (of mine as analysed above), two, Learning or borrowing from Nigerian Constitution so dat an average Citizen can be familiar with or be sure of his her 'Immediate/Fundamental human Right'. Some Policemen and Stubborn Nigerians sabi shakara person with 'Too sabi but Empty'. wink
Re: Courtesy Or Right: Who Was Right And Who Was Wrong? by eherbal(m): 7:47pm On Sep 22, 2015
Here In Lagos it's known as "wole Pelu shengii re"or "enter with ya change ".So Therefore ,Using Lagos As A yardstick ,you're In order. Next time it wouldn't hurt to let the driver know you're hard for change before boarding. I personally do that alot

1 Like

Re: Courtesy Or Right: Who Was Right And Who Was Wrong? by DGD1(m): 10:35pm On Sep 22, 2015
pray God bless u early to get ur own ride and end such embarrassment.
arguing with taxi drivers make both of u guys look crazy.
forget who was ryt, leave such Mata to market women

1 Like

Re: Courtesy Or Right: Who Was Right And Who Was Wrong? by Nobody: 12:42am On Sep 23, 2015
I think it is your responsibility as passenger to inform the driver that you will be giving him a high denomination note.
He can't possibly have change to give to every amount passengers give.
Imagine a scenario where every passenger in a bus brings out #500 to pay their #50 fares thinking that the driver must have change.
Re: Courtesy Or Right: Who Was Right And Who Was Wrong? by BTT(m): 4:08pm On Sep 23, 2015
I have seen Lagos BRTs with bold stickers inside them that read "ENTER WITH YOUR EXACT FARE". That should mean 'No change' in everyday English.

If we should borrow wisdom from this, it suggests that it is the responsibility of the service provider to state his terms.

Two, even if there's a law that says we must announce our financial status before boarding a transport, it is also a duty on the transporter to reiterate it in words or writing when dealing. Does the law not give you rights to remain silent when under arrest, yet you have it read to you. The courtesy/moral obligation is on the transporter to do so.

Three, do you walk into a shop/mall to buy with cash and worry about change for them? They are the ones into commerce and having plans for customers' needs should form a core of their business success. To not make this preparation, and pick an offence for a customer who demands it is disgraceful. This is usually the challenge with informal sector service providers; it is difficult for them to understand that what they sell.

Four, the customer is and must be treated as king. Even danfo drivers know that. It is the reason they can pick passengers anywhere but remind you there's no bus-stop at the same spot when you want to alight.

So, Mr Boyooosa, I am with you on this one, but stop arguing with semi-illiterates for your own good.

1 Like

Re: Courtesy Or Right: Who Was Right And Who Was Wrong? by Boyooosa(m): 5:04pm On Sep 23, 2015
BTT:
I have seen Lagos BRTs with bold stickers inside them that read "ENTER WITH YOUR EXACT FARE". That should mean 'No change' in everyday English.

If we should borrow wisdom from this, it suggests that it is the responsibility of the service provider to state his terms.

Two, even if there's a law that says we must announce our financial status before boarding a transport, it is also a duty on the transporter to reiterate it in words or writing when dealing. Does the law not give you rights to remain silent when under arrest, yet you have it read to you. The courtesy/moral obligation is on the transporter to do so.

Three, do you walk into a shop/mall to buy with cash and worry about change for them? They are the ones into commerce and having plans for customers' needs should form a core of their business success. To not make this preparation, and pick an offence for a customer who demands it is disgraceful. This is usually the challenge with informal sector service providers; it is difficult for them to understand that what they sell.

Four, the customer is and must be treated as king. Even danfo drivers know that. It is the reason they can pick passengers anywhere but remind you there's no bus-stop at the same spot when you want to alight.

So, Mr Boyooosa, I am with you on this one, but stop arguing with semi-illiterates for your own good.
I felt a fracas was about ensuing and i found peace in the Lord. grin
Av been in dodging game since the era of Lord Luggard cheesy Trust me!

1 Like

Re: Courtesy Or Right: Who Was Right And Who Was Wrong? by Boyooosa(m): 5:24pm On Sep 23, 2015
0rex:
I think it is your responsibility as passenger to inform the driver that you will be giving him a high denomination note.
He can't possibly have change to give to every amount passengers give.
Imagine a scenario where every passenger in a bus brings out #500 to pay their #50 fares thinking that the driver must have change.
Fyyyn my brother, this is d more reason he needs to announce to every passenger dat comes in, if he sincerely wants to be diligent. BY so doing, anybody having higher denomination will be reminded (if s/he forgets), then d person will declare and they will likely resolve b4 further business. A lot of things run through my mind going out now (calcu things), but a prospective businessmen/commercial driver should be conscious of his business and in-fact, the announcement should have been an involuntary action /song for him. That is my take, it will help his business. Afterall if also, u r a businessman, I know dat u will like to solve all the challenges and obstacles in ur business day in day out so dat u can put food on your own table conveniently. Mind you, i represent a customer in dat scenario and i think customer's satisfaction should be a priority for any business inclined person!
Re: Courtesy Or Right: Who Was Right And Who Was Wrong? by Nobody: 5:47pm On Sep 23, 2015
Boyooosa:

Fyyyn my brother, this is d more reason he needs to announce to every passenger dat comes in, if he sincerely wants to be...
Well said.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

How Much For Honda Accord 1993 Engine And Gearbox / Fuel Scarcity Fraud. An Observation. / Auto Gurus In The House Please Answer This Question

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.