Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,189,911 members, 7,938,727 topics. Date: Tuesday, 03 September 2024 at 11:45 AM

Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary - Culture (33) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary (518505 Views)

We Need To See More Hausa And Fulani Girls Representing Nigeria And In Nollywood / Traditional/ Native Hausa And Fulani Names? / How Did The Populations Of The Igbo, Hausa, And Yoruba Come To Be So Large? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) ... (52) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ikennaAO(m): 1:00pm On Apr 03, 2015
skolars:
Love means Ifunanya.Tell me gold digger,BIRTHDAY,CELEBRATION and PHLEGM IS IGBO,HAUSA AND YORUBA

Ifunanya mean affection towards someone or something - could take the form of Love, likeness etc.

Gold-digger - Onye-uru-ahi! (lol) a particular form of greed where someone seeks an excessive gain - especially reaping where they did not sow.

Birthday - Mbochi omumu

Celebration - Emume or[b] mmeme[/b]

Phlegmatic - (in the form of stolidity) Ihu a to ochi !
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by estacyresource: 1:58pm On May 02, 2015
Ex-military Governor Of Anambra Pleads With Igbo Parents To Reduce Bride Price
Former Military governor of old Anambra State, Col. Robert Akonobi (rtd), has pleaded with Igbo parents to reduce the bride price of their daughters so that ‘’our young boys can marry them.”

http://nigerianewsnetwork..com/2015/05/ex-military-governor-of-anambra-pleads.html

1 Share

Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Tycyborg(m): 4:50am On May 10, 2015
[quote author=ohaechesi post=4022201]can some one help: Pawpaw, garri, maggi, tomatoes

Igbo

Hausa

Yuroba

the yoruba name is garri cos garri is a yoruba food source from yoruba history on wikipedia and we do call it eba when made with hot water... And pawpaw is ibepe and about others i dont know cos yoruba is very vast language..
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by limamintruth: 11:58am On May 21, 2015
Hello Nlanders!
Pls the yorubas in the house should kindly translate the following phrases to english and how i should respond to the statements below:

- koburu odabo

- mio pada ba e soro mo lano yen

- se ofimi la Ala?

- kosi iyonu rara

- ofe ba mi soro abi?

Thanks alot dearest nlanders as i await your replies to my post request. cool
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by oboy3(m): 5:19pm On May 21, 2015
limamintruth:
Hello Nlanders!
Pls the yorubas in the house should kindly translate the following phrases to english and how i should respond to the statements below:

- koburu odabo

- mio pada ba e soro mo lano yen

- se ofimi la Ala?

- kosi iyonu rara

- ofe ba mi soro abi?

Thanks alot dearest nlanders as i await your replies to my post request. cool
let me try,i got a C5 in my waec in yoruba language,lol

1)Not bad,good bye

2)i didnt talk to you again yesterday

3)shey you see me for dream

4)me(o'boy3) no sabi the number two

5)you want to discuss with me,right?

I no be yoruba ooo,no vex some of them may not be correct
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by AleqsChizar(m): 6:26pm On May 21, 2015
If you haven't heard this, kindly download and enjoy this fast and furious Igala rap song- G'omi Abajoi by Aleqs Chizar

http://www.datafilehost.com/d/9c26e57b

Enjoy...
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by limamintruth: 7:31pm On May 22, 2015
oboy3:

let me try,i got a C5 in my waec in yoruba language,lol

1)Not bad,good bye

2)i didnt talk to you again yesterday

3)shey you see me for dream

4)me(o'boy3) no sabi the number two

5)you want to discuss with me,right?

I no be yoruba ooo,no vex some of them may not be correct

Wow, thanks bro! I really appreciate!! wink
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by tpiadotcom: 4:48am On May 26, 2015
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Sveen: 11:46am On Jun 18, 2015
Oriki igbeti

Omo oye
oye kii pa ara igbeti
eni abi loye loyen pa
ogini tin le baba otutu
ki iwo we loye
idi olele
kabosho sile
ka rin igboro lo
ki awa wo eni to dape
ki awa wo eni toto fi oye she oge
ki ajo fi oginiti woja.........

oriki oyo

oyo mo laafin ojo pa shekere moje omo atiba
tiri meje lanki omo olu ku ewu
ila tiri lako
ikan tiri wo ewu eje
ikonko tiri peku
iwo tiri peja
okaababa tiri poloko loju.......

ife

aki duro ki won ni ife ooni
akii bere ki won ni ife oore
bi aba duro ki won ni ife ooni
bi aba beere ki won ni ife oore
ebo ni won fini she
ko du ko beere
oju binti ni won fin woni
aisan mejidilogun lolofe kan
toba kan ife inu
akon ife ode
akan ife kanri kanrin lotooto
omo adade owo remo
erujeje ni ife oore.

Seun, what's your state of orijin? grin
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ogemdiicyprian2(m): 6:48am On Jun 30, 2015
ifyalways:
In Igbo : Birthday :Ubochi a muru onye celebration:Mme-mme/Emume Phlegm:ajo aso/onu mmiri Gold digger:Onye-ocho-nga-n'oko  cheesy
That's not the meaning of gold digger in igbo
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Eddygrate: 3:19pm On Jul 04, 2015
BED BUGS ERADICATION !!! Bed bugs are small wingless insects that feed solely upon the blood of warm-blooded animals. Although they are also known to feed on household pets like; Dogs, Cats, etc.. these bugs prefer a human host and will actively seek out habitats that put them within easy distance of a blood meal. These tiny vermin avoid light and attack in the middle of the night hiding behind headboards or in mattress seams during the day According to Research; Bed bugs are not known to carry or spread disease – but getting rid of them from your home or your hotel is tough as an adult bed bug is extremely resilient to pesticides and can survive in a very harsh conditions – they can live for up to 20 months without a blood meal! Consequently, bed bug infestations sometimes require multiple visits from a qualified Technicians . SPOTLESS SHINE over a period of time have eradicated these unwanted Guests in several homes In Lagos Nigeria. For More info Please Contact SPOTLESS SHINE CLEANING SERVICES 25 mabawonku Stresst oworonshoki Lagos 07033491967 Spotless.shinec@gmail.com
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by kadunasouth(m): 9:43am On Jul 05, 2015
Okunrin means Male
Yoruba english
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by kadunasouth(m): 9:47am On Jul 05, 2015
Remedy to all ill
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Nobody: 5:23pm On Jul 11, 2015
Hey dear all,

Could you please kindly help me out finding the meanings of these following words and expressions? I would really appreciate that smiley

indomicious + indomie
bad belly
compol
internet babe
pocket picker
tear-pot
engre
ayo
christmas bush
matatu
bush meat
zonalise
you meet us well
kedibo
kanami
kaikan
enter
eleda
egu
ease oneself (idiom)
agyaba
agbalagba

Thank you in advance for your efforts!
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by tempem: 6:34pm On Jul 15, 2015
Efunlola:
Good morning,

I would really appreciate if someone can translate these three sentences from Yoruba to English.

1. Emo gbagbe nkan awe mi.olorun aje emi gha un rayin osu.

2. Awe oje kin join.

3. Mo nreti nkan awe mi o.

Thank You.

1. Don't forget my fasting things. May God spare our lives till ending of the month.
2. That guy didn't allow me join.
3. Am expecting my fasting stuffs.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Nobody: 11:28pm On Jul 16, 2015
Hey dear all,

Could you please kindly help me out finding the meanings of these following words and expressions? I would really appreciate that smiley

indomicious + indomie
bad belly
compol
internet babe
pocket picker
tear-pot
engre
ayo
christmas bush
matatu
bush meat
zonalise
you meet us well
kedibo
kanami
kaikan
enter
eleda
egu
ease oneself (idiom)
agyaba
agbalagba

Phemour:
Our main motive here in Nairaland is to electronically Gossip About Education, Solve Problem Concerning Education, and also Brighten Education Future.

But in this thread we’re going to make a Dictionary of our own for Nigerians, we’ll be converting words from Yoruba to English, Hausa to English, Igbo to English.

English Language Examinations test our ability to comprehend words and also English Language is inescapable when it comes to Nigerian education. Therefore, we need not to falter to make words in an understandable way for Nigerians to improve Nigerian English

Here we go

Note: When writing in Yoruba, Igbo or Hausa language it should always be in Italics

Some one should help, I need

Philanthropist in Yoruba

Extremist in Hausa

Ifunaya in English

Phemour
Edu. Mod
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Nobody: 12:59am On Jul 21, 2015
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by AprokoMan: 3:16pm On Jul 23, 2015

Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by scholes0(m): 3:38am On Jul 24, 2015
Sinem:
Hey dear all,

bad belle - Someone wishing you bad (Pidgin English)
ayo - Joy (Yoruba)
matatu - Public transport (Kenyan)
eleda - Creator (Yoruba)
agbalagba - Adult (Yoruba)

i have interpreted the ones i Know.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Nobody: 1:19pm On Jul 25, 2015
Thank you so much! That helps me a lot smiley
scholes0:

i have interpreted the ones i Know.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by igboboy3(m): 8:35pm On Aug 04, 2015
Pls, what is the meaning of pataki?
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Pataki: 9:36am On Aug 05, 2015
igboboy3:

Why are you asking for the meaning my name? undecided
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by odensibiri: 11:08pm On Aug 07, 2015

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by damiperry(f): 4:33pm On Aug 08, 2015
igboboy3:

important

(1) (2) (3) ... (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) ... (52) (Reply)

Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. / ..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.