Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,107 members, 7,887,226 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 02:26 AM

What's The Influence Of Torque/horsepower On A Car - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What's The Influence Of Torque/horsepower On A Car (1860 Views)

2019 Mercedes-amg A45 Gets All-new Engine With 400-plus Horsepower / Who Can Handle This 2,000 Horsepower Nissan GT-R? (video) / 5 Cars Revealed At Geneva With Over 1000 Horsepower (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What's The Influence Of Torque/horsepower On A Car by Drgreatone: 8:50am On Sep 24, 2015
I have being readin up on torque/horsepower and so many theories buh common to all is d fmr is said to help pull and the latter for attainin max speed buh then again it gets mixed up especially when it involves high-powered cars and ow they become inseperable. Hoping experts would clarify if a more torquey car equates faster car even if it has less hp than a rival, also the pros and cons of a car wit maximum torque at low rpms and one at high rpms and effect on fuel efficiency,city and highway driving
Re: What's The Influence Of Torque/horsepower On A Car by kingreign(m): 9:05am On Sep 24, 2015
Drgreatone:
I have being readin up on torque/horsepower and so many theories buh common to all is d fmr is said to help pull and the latter for attainin max speed buh then again it gets mixed up especially when it involves high-powered cars and ow they become inseperable. Hoping experts would clarify if a more torquey car equates faster car even if it has less hp than a rival, also the pros and cons of a car wit maximum torque at low rpms and one at high rpms and effect on fuel efficiency,city and highway driving

torque is the power needed to push a car from standstill, horses are the power needed to take that already pushed car from that roll into its highest speed.

Torque and horses are very important. Off the line, a car (labelled A) with higher horses and lower torqe might be slower than a car (labelled B) with higher torque and lower horses, however, car A will overtake car B and increase their gap as they both accelerates towards their endline.
If you want to do lots of pushing, pulling, climbing, ascending, decending, crawling, offroading and carrying of heavy weight, you'll need more torque than horses. Hence tractors, trucks earth movers, bulldozers, graders etc have torqes capable of pushing a dead universe from stop.

Note: A lot of things can also make a car more or less faster and torquey. Temperature and altitude of environment, bias of engine and transmission tune, drive layout, mass, tyre type, drive ratio, wear and tear etc.

8 Likes

Re: What's The Influence Of Torque/horsepower On A Car by Drgreatone: 8:59am On Sep 25, 2015
Thanks Kingreign So what's the pros and cons of having maximum torque at low rpm and at high rpm
Re: What's The Influence Of Torque/horsepower On A Car by kingreign(m): 5:53pm On Sep 25, 2015
Drgreatone:
Thanks Kingreign
So what's the pros and cons of having maximum torque at low rpm and at high rpm

consultation isnt free, pay consultation fee and i'd tell you all you need to know about horses and torque.
Re: What's The Influence Of Torque/horsepower On A Car by arbitrage: 6:56pm On Sep 25, 2015
Drgreatone:
Thanks Kingreign
So what's the pros and cons of having maximum torque at low rpm and at high rpm

Google is your friend.
Re: What's The Influence Of Torque/horsepower On A Car by Drgreatone: 3:03pm On Sep 26, 2015
@kingreign my Oga on top,u know we all here to learn and also pass what we av learnt to those who don't know. Would appreciate it
@arbitrage google was my first point of call and I wouldn't av come here if it had bin helpful,so many junks mixed wit truth that it takes a knowledgeable person to decipher it which is why I am here

1 Like

Re: What's The Influence Of Torque/horsepower On A Car by Nobody: 3:20pm On Sep 28, 2015
kingreign:

torque is the power needed to push a car from standstill, horses are the power needed to take that already pushed car from that roll into its highest speed.

Torque and horses are very important. Off the line, a car (labelled A) with higher horses and lower torqe might be slower than a car (labelled B) with higher torque and lower horses, however, car B will overtake car A and increase their gap as they both accelerates towards their endline.
If you want to do lots of pushing, pulling, climbing, ascending, decending, crawling, offroading and carrying of heavy weight, you'll need more torque than horses. Hence tractors, trucks earth movers, bulldozers, graders etc have torqes capable of pushing a dead universe from stop.

Note: A lot of things can also make a car more or less faster and torquey. Temperature and altitude of environment, bias of engine and transmission tune, drive layout, mass, tyre type, drive ratio, wear and tear etc.

You are mouthed, may the king-reign forever.
Re: What's The Influence Of Torque/horsepower On A Car by calabardick(m): 9:07pm On Sep 28, 2015
kingreign:

Torque and horses are very important. Off the line, a car (labelled A) with higher horses and lower torqe might be slower than a car (labelled B) with higher torque and lower horses, however, car B will overtake car A and increase their gap as they both accelerates towards their endline.

bros, you too much, I feel you

1 Like

Re: What's The Influence Of Torque/horsepower On A Car by OgbeniOptional(m): 12:45pm On May 19, 2020
Informative,probably 50% of car owners don't know the meaning/difference of both, me included until now.

kingreign:

Torque and horses are very important. Off the line, a car (labelled A) with higher horses and lower torqe might be slower than a car (labelled B) with higher torque and lower horses, however, car A will overtake car B and increase their gap as they both accelerates towards their endline.

1 Like

Re: What's The Influence Of Torque/horsepower On A Car by kingreign(m): 4:15pm On May 19, 2020
OgbeniOptional:
Informative,probably 50% of car owners don't know the meaning/difference of both, me included until now.

5years later, someone finds my write up interesting and informative.

Thanks boss cool

1 Like

Re: What's The Influence Of Torque/horsepower On A Car by BamBamK: 4:54pm On May 19, 2020
kingreign:

Thanks boss cool

well, we're still reviewing your 'ÄUTHORITY' status regardless grin grin
Re: What's The Influence Of Torque/horsepower On A Car by kingreign(m): 7:02pm On May 19, 2020
BamBamK:

[s]well, we're still reviewing your 'ÄUTHORITY' status regardless[/s] we have confirmed your authority status since grin grin
Re: What's The Influence Of Torque/horsepower On A Car by OgbeniOptional(m): 7:29pm On May 19, 2020
kingreign:

Thanks boss cool

You are welcome sir
Re: What's The Influence Of Torque/horsepower On A Car by BamBamK: 9:27am On May 20, 2020

(1) (Reply)

Lagos Funny Bus Sticker: Dollars Ti Won (dollar Is Now Costly). / Honda Discussion Continue For Sale In Badore Ajah (clean Nigeria Use)pics / Army Green Cars On Nigerian Roads

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.