Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,865 members, 7,876,296 topics. Date: Sunday, 30 June 2024 at 02:16 PM

Lagos-kano Rail Line, Is It The Right Move? Or Some Ppl Plottiing: - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos-kano Rail Line, Is It The Right Move? Or Some Ppl Plottiing: (1692 Views)

Still On The Lagos-Calabar Rail Line Controversy - Excerpt From Thisdaylive / Lagos-kano Rail To Generate 250,000 Jobs – Amaechi / Abuja-kaduna Rail Line Will Be Completed And Handed Over In December (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos-kano Rail Line, Is It The Right Move? Or Some Ppl Plottiing: by ikeyman00(m): 10:13am On Apr 16, 2009
nigeria is a great country that should by now attain a high level of development. Neverthless things have gone far too bad as we all know .Some might just argue that emm some region wana secede but that aint always right . These people are only cryin out for fairness and equities!! thats just it!

It could be said that emm the structural developement in the 1st generation in nigeria was far more mutually aggressively embarked on nationwide. At this point in time emm we are talkin like 2009 right, u still have some delta that paddle on canoe and onitsha brigde desperately needed second one, the yorubas and the hausa has the audacity to waste our hard earn naira on kano-lagos rail line

now is this the right move? hmmmm if 1 nigeria has to embrace we got to be real

true nigerians knows.
Re: Lagos-kano Rail Line, Is It The Right Move? Or Some Ppl Plottiing: by ikeyman00(m): 10:38am On Apr 16, 2009
becomerich

im anticipating your suggestion, but hey no map oooo hahah
Re: Lagos-kano Rail Line, Is It The Right Move? Or Some Ppl Plottiing: by Horus(m): 1:07pm On Apr 16, 2009
[flash=425,350]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_QsDmtU2ms[/flash]

Nigerian Ultra Modern Railway Network Project
Re: Lagos-kano Rail Line, Is It The Right Move? Or Some Ppl Plottiing: by porka: 1:52pm On Apr 16, 2009
hello sir, i dont think this is a waste of resources as you claim. i think it will boost economic activities and make our roads last longer.

yoruba, igbo, hausa, itshekiri, urhobo, fulani, edo, tiv, ijaw, igala, ebira, birom, jukun, akoko-edo, nupe, kataf, idoma, kanuri all will benefit from this project.

port harcourt-maiduguri axis will follow. we only need to urge government on to speedy action on the projects including the ones you mentioned.

government is fond of reversing and cancelling contracts.
Re: Lagos-kano Rail Line, Is It The Right Move? Or Some Ppl Plottiing: by dominique(f): 2:04pm On Apr 16, 2009
thats a lot of commitment worth billions. i hope it wont end up like one of their many unfinished projects, they have about 2 years to complete it. how possible is that going to be.
Re: Lagos-kano Rail Line, Is It The Right Move? Or Some Ppl Plottiing: by Afaukwu: 2:42pm On Apr 16, 2009
Another white elephant venture in a white elephant country ruled by white elephants
Re: Lagos-kano Rail Line, Is It The Right Move? Or Some Ppl Plottiing: by asha80(m): 2:48pm On Apr 16, 2009
Afaukwu:

Another white elephant venture in a white elephant country ruled by white elephants

O my god. grin grin grin
Re: Lagos-kano Rail Line, Is It The Right Move? Or Some Ppl Plottiing: by texazzpete(m): 4:54pm On Apr 16, 2009
ikeyman00:

onitsha brigde desperately needed second one, the yorubas and the hausa has the audacity to waste our hard earn naira on kano-lagos rail line

Perhaps some Yorubas and hausas would toe the same line you've taken and insist that a new onitsha bridge would be wasting 'our hard earned Naira'

One man's meat is another man's poison. If this train system is built, will there not be a significant percentage of Igbo travellers using it?

Afaukwu:

Such a heartwarming display of optimism! grin
Re: Lagos-kano Rail Line, Is It The Right Move? Or Some Ppl Plottiing: by ikeyman00(m): 5:36pm On Apr 16, 2009
^^^^^
texapete
mennh what went wrong on your brain these days!!

k here in london right they got underground rail network that needed improvement but they couldnt stupidly embark on it cuz they have priorities to deal with

in nigeria most federal govermnet express road got millions of pot holet that have killed more nige;rians than HIV. Fix our road to 3" thick tarred nationwide right, deal with that onitsha 2nd brigde right; then afterward u can talk about that stupid train una wan build

what is wrong with my people sir

they cant reason anymore due to high level of poverty inflicted on them by the asshole rocks.
Re: Lagos-kano Rail Line, Is It The Right Move? Or Some Ppl Plottiing: by lucabrasi(m): 1:41am On Apr 17, 2009
in this age of rapid and massive technological advancements,i dont believe anyone will come online and assert that a rail line is a waste of time/resources, rather than putting a tribal spin to it as is usual in most discourses on here,make an objective and pragmatic appraisal and you will discover how totally wrong you are
Re: Lagos-kano Rail Line, Is It The Right Move? Or Some Ppl Plottiing: by lucabrasi(m): 1:45am On Apr 17, 2009
texazzpete:

One man's meat is another man's poison. If this train system is built, will there not be a significant percentage of Igbo travellers using it?
exactly at the bolded,besides who are the overwhelming potential commutters?traders and travellers who ll probably use it more in pursuance of their businesses,that is not even considering rails being safer than the izuchukwu and abc transports
Re: Lagos-kano Rail Line, Is It The Right Move? Or Some Ppl Plottiing: by ikeyman00(m): 5:40am On Apr 17, 2009
^^^^^^

now forget that meat my friend, this is nigeria not meat u talkin about

u cannot embark on illegal project like that when all the federal government roads got pot-belly poles on it that have killed more than hiv

precisely one man posion is another's man wahala!! u feel that?
Re: Lagos-kano Rail Line, Is It The Right Move? Or Some Ppl Plottiing: by sbo(m): 11:15am On Apr 17, 2009
lucabrasi:

in this age of rapid and massive technological advancements,i dont believe anyone will come online and assert that a rail line is a waste of time/resources, rather than putting a tribal spin to it as is usual in most discourses on here,make an objective and pragmatic appraisal and you will discover how totally wrong you are

I will continue to maintain that the rail project is a colossal waste of taxpayers money. The question is, why do we need to modern 1315km of rail line between Lagos and Kano and our major cities are no mass public transport system? Did the government undertake any feasibility study on the project? What will be patronage demand?
Let us start by providing effecient rail system in our major cities first. Lagos with a population of 17 million is in desperate need of a rail system. The proposed light rail is only costing a fraction of the lagos-kano project.

Also, why will the government award a contract of $18bn without regard for competitive tendering? In fact I understand that there was no project scope. So basically the project scope was written by the contractor!. To say the least, Obasanjo should have been sent to jail because of the way and manner this project was handled.
Re: Lagos-kano Rail Line, Is It The Right Move? Or Some Ppl Plottiing: by lucabrasi(m): 1:38pm On Apr 17, 2009
sbo:

I will continue to maintain that the rail project is a colossal waste of taxpayers money. The question is, why do we need to modern 1315km of rail line between Lagos and Kano and our major cities are no mass public transport system? Did the government undertake any feasibility study on the project? What will be patronage demand?

and yet ,you have no justifiable reason for your assertion.
it is needed because the most volume of trade happens inter state,the man from the north providing the tomatoes,yam e.t.c for you on the other side,providing meat,the ibo man bringing his spare parts,textiles e.t.c from lagos to his shop in the north,the business man going to lagos once a month having to contend with the tires bursting in izu chukwu buses,drivers sleeping off e.t.c

maybe you should ask your respective governors what they have done with their federal allocations,before blaming federal govt for not sorting mass transport on the state level.
if you have read about the technology,you will realise that feasibility studies,planning e.t.c is actually abut60-70% or more of the total job,so that point is a moot one as far as this scheme is concerned,as for patronage,simply take a cursory look at the volume of business transactions between lagos and the northern area and the underlying areas and that ll give you more than enough justification for patronage
sbo:

Let us start by providing effecient rail system in our major cities first. Lagos with a population of 17 million is in desperate need of a rail system. The proposed light rail is only costing a fraction of the lagos-kano project.

that is besides the point,like you have asserted,lagos state is undertaking its responsibility by embarking on the light rail initiative,rather than blaming anybody,the other stateswho need the same should embark on similar project to alleviate the transportation logjam,you might not see the need but,ask people who do and they ll tell you how helpful it will be for their business to just hop on a train and not worry about tires bursting,driver dozing off,the comfort e.t.c
sbo:

Also, why will the government award a contract of $18bn without regard for competitive tendering? In fact I understand that there was no project scope. So basically the project scope was written by the contractor!. To say the least, Obasanjo should have been sent to jail because of the way and manner this project was handled.

what the poster addressed were the rights and wrongs inherrent in the project initiative,including the justification for this initiative which is what ill limit myself to,however bearing in mind that you are also speaking from a realm of speculation as you do not have acess to the relevant documents,let us just say that handling a good projec the wrong way is not enough reason to jettison it when it could be easily corrected after all they r still on paper
Re: Lagos-kano Rail Line, Is It The Right Move? Or Some Ppl Plottiing: by lucabrasi(m): 1:42pm On Apr 17, 2009
ikeyman00:

^^^^^^

now forget that meat my friend, this is nigeria not meat u talkin about

u cannot embark on illegal project like that when all the federal government roads got pot-belly poles on it that have killed more than hiv

precisely one man posion is another's man wahala!! u feel that?
yes,we know the roads are messed up,but should we resist an alternative form of transportation altogether because of this?besides if this is done,there ll be less pressure on the roads from road users/commutters as more people will use the trains,causing less accidents and the govt having the road in proper focus and perspective,besides then we will know for sure that at least one medium of transportation is reliable
Re: Lagos-kano Rail Line, Is It The Right Move? Or Some Ppl Plottiing: by ikeyman00(m): 3:56pm On Apr 17, 2009
lucabrasi

it is needed because the most volume of trade happens inter state,the man from the north providing the tomatoes,yam e.t.c for you on the other side,providing meat,the ibo man bringing his spare parts,textiles e.t.c from lagos to his shop in the north,the business man going to lagos once a month having to contend with the tires bursting in izu chukwu buses,drivers sleeping off e.t.c

well in that case, let the dredge river niger

maybe you should ask your respective governors what they have done with their federal allocations,before blaming federal govt for not sorting mass transport on the state level.
if you have read about the technology,you will realise that feasibility studies,planning e.t.c is actually abut60-70% or more of the total job,so that point is a moot one as far as this scheme is concerned,as for patronage,simply take a cursory look at the volume of business transactions between lagos and the northern area and the underlying areas and that ll give you more than enough justification for patronage

open to debate

t[b]hat is besides the point,like you have asserted,lagos state is undertaking its responsibility by embarking on the light rail initiative,rather than blaming anybody,the other stateswho need the same should embark on similar project to alleviate the transportation logjam,you might not see the need but,ask people who do and they ll tell you how helpful it will be for their business to just hop on a train and not worry about tires bursting,driver dozing off,the comfort e.t.c[/b]

lagos on its own cant always skip through meanwhile what about other state before like u said playin balme games!! beni ooo

u canot be serious!!
Re: Lagos-kano Rail Line, Is It The Right Move? Or Some Ppl Plottiing: by ikeyman00(m): 4:00pm On Apr 17, 2009
sbo
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote from: lucabrasi on Today at 01:41:33 AM

Let us start by providing effecient rail system in our major cities first. Lagos with a population of 17 million is in desperate need of a rail system.  The proposed light rail is only costing a fraction of the lagos-kano project.

tell them !!
Re: Lagos-kano Rail Line, Is It The Right Move? Or Some Ppl Plottiing: by Nobody: 6:45pm On Apr 17, 2009
I am in support of any good project in any part of the country

It will always have one direct or indirect benefits to other parts of the country.
Re: Lagos-kano Rail Line, Is It The Right Move? Or Some Ppl Plottiing: by ikeyman00(m): 6:48pm On Apr 17, 2009
^^^^^

yes as a nigerian we i agree but in principles as a nigerian me not too sure on this one
Re: Lagos-kano Rail Line, Is It The Right Move? Or Some Ppl Plottiing: by Nobody: 7:49pm On Apr 17, 2009
The government need to think which areas do Nigerians go to the most. As in which areas do business flows between states. Lagos-Onitcha, Aba, Port Harcourt. I don't know about Kano but one rail line could cover Lagos Onitcha, Aba, Port Harcourt and that's better than Lagos-Kano alone. I know there will be stops but the business flow in those stops put together doesn't match that of Lagos-Onitcha at all. Let's be reasonable here, this is what I call lack of Management. Cause you need to create this rail to be a revenue generator for maintainance and to fund other projects. Creating a rail to areas where people don't go to alot is going to make it another waste of Money. It's a right step though but in the wrong direction. Good transport will boost Nigeria's domestic economy by more than 10%. If anything, it should connect Onitcha or Aba cause people buy and sell lots of stuffs. Even people from Togo, Ghana, Cameroon and Benin republic come to Aba to buy goods.
Re: Lagos-kano Rail Line, Is It The Right Move? Or Some Ppl Plottiing: by naijaway(m): 11:11pm On Apr 17, 2009
Is a right move for a later time or together with lagos - onitsha with stops in almost all states it passes. Lagos - kano road alone is fine but not a money generator even on a minimal fee like the top post quoted. Matter of fact, lagos to port-harcourt route will be best. then lagos to kano and then kano to abuja. For a start. Am not about tribal this and that but damn this don't even sound right cuz a lot of traders take lagos to portharcourt route everyday compared to lagos to kano. Please God deliver Nigeria from tribalism so that your well intended purposes can flourish in the great country. Amen.

(1) (Reply)

Joy As Enugu Receives 30 Luxury Buses From Innoson / How I Lost My Sight - Prof. Clement Uwemedimo / Oh Boy Cpc Don Clear Ne & Nw.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.