Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,116 members, 7,880,470 topics. Date: Thursday, 04 July 2024 at 06:55 PM

Sorry, Everybody, Your Feelings About Tecno Phantom 5 Price Is Empty - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Sorry, Everybody, Your Feelings About Tecno Phantom 5 Price Is Empty (1449 Views)

Infinix Zero 5, Price and Specification Discussion Thread / Has Phantom 6 Plus Changed The Perceptions Of Nigerians About TECNO? / Ask Me Any Question About Tecno L8+ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sorry, Everybody, Your Feelings About Tecno Phantom 5 Price Is Empty by trimak: 12:01pm On Sep 25, 2015
We have kept quiet, while the internet get fired-out with arguments to rubbish the so-called “expensive” price tag of Tecno Phantom 5. This is an emotional issue for some apologetic fanboys on the other side of the divide, but I don’t write based on emotions or assumptions but facts.

Before anyone screams to call me a rabid fanboy, I would like to point out that I have no sympathy for any mobile vendor. I have been one of the loudest critics against Tecno’s mobile philosophy, so anyone thinking I have been bought over is only doing so with his imagination figment.

Tecno shocked the Nigerian mobile market, not because it released its most expensive smartphone, but because it has taken a huge risk by going completely premium.

It is not out of place for companies to take risk at one point in their existence; the transition from feature phones to smartphones by Tecno was equally a risk.

It was hard to tell if the Nigeria mobile market was ready for smartphones, since a good number of users were comfortable with the dated phones released by the old-school Nokia.

Most Nigerians have not come to terms with the fact that Tecno, which was once known for down-market products could suddenly go premium in few years.
When Tecno unveiled the P3, they had no idea how the biggest market in Africa would react. The P3 went ahead to become one of Tecno most successful smartphones.

At that time, a lot of users were comfortable with Tecno’s mobile philosophy, but as competition stiffened, there was a need for a total overhaul and change in mobile philosophy.

In 2014, I identified some ridiculous Tecno blunders which appears to have been fixed, Tecno no longer has that trait of arrogance as it now draws closer to its user-base to have an idea of what they want, which is then interpreted in their engineering lab to actualize a device.

Should we feel outraged about the Tecno Phantom 5 price tag? Certainly not! It’s Tecno’s first genuine attempt to bring something premium to Africa.

The Phantom 5 isn’t for everyone, just as the Galaxy S6 and iPhone 6S isn’t meant for everyone. Tecno is only creating different class of smartphones for different classes of users. Not to insult anyone, but the world in its entirety has been divided according to class. I do not know who did it, but that’s how it is and there is no point to rant over it because it’s the reality we face.

Just the same way someone rated some countries First world, Second world and Third world, so also has smartphones been rated. We have high-end smartphones, mid-rage smartphones and down-market smartphones. It would be safe to say that the Phantom 5 is a high-smartphone at an insane “cheap” price tag.

Tecno Phantom 5 backlash which bothers on price and not entirely on its specifications is simply one of mere perception versus reality. Most Nigerians have not come to terms with the fact that Tecno, which was once known for down-market products could suddenly go premium in few years.

You know that feeling when someone you wrote off, comes and buy-off the estate you live in. Hehe. Apparently, some people have found it hard to change the constitution of their mind, into believing that Tecno can be successful as a premium smartphone manufacturer.

The market is changing, users are getting frustrated with purchasing the same smartphone month after month with different labels, they want something extra, they want value for money, they equally want to be proud showing off their smartphones in public and brag about it. This is what Tecno as an OEM has done with the Phantom 5.

For me, the biggest turning point that made me fall in love with the Phantom 5 is the metal case. I cannot stand holding a smartphone with cheap plastic casing as my personal phone. Each time I rode-rough against Tecno, I always chipped-in the frustration of seeing cheap plastic shell on a device. Of course, the Phantom 5 has addressed that, to my biggest surprise! I never anticipated such premium build in 2015.

I wouldn’t want to say much about the Phantom 5 in this article, a lot would be said on the hands-on-review next week. However, the biggest selling point I can assume, that’s if Tecno’s marketing team does a perfect job, is the Fingerprint scanner located just below the rare camera sensor. I expected Infinix Mobility to have that as their bragging rights with the Zero 2, but that wasn’t the case and I have my reservations about Zero 2, also.

Tecno’s Phantom 5 fingerprint sensor was the biggest news prior to launch, it’s the first time we really see Tecno pushing itself to the extreme, and some persons jaw dropped upon hearing the news. Did I also say that the Phantom 5 has 4G LTE radio?

Ouch..

Anyone thinking that Nigeria’s mobile market is going to remain an emerging market with ridiculous degraded smartphones in cheap plastic casing will have to think again. Tecno’s market researchers have done a good job on this one; they have put themselves ahead of the rest and have taken a huge risk.

At one time in Nigeria did people purchase mid-rage smartphones from Samsung with watered-down specs and a bloated price tag. Someone needed to take that risk and change the extortion; thanks to Tecno, we could afford 16GB of internal memory smartphones at a cheap price when Sony was pushing 8GB smartphones down the throat of Nigerians at unbelievable price spots with its Xperia mobile outfit.

Tecno is again taking a giant step, to snap-up a sizeable amount of market-share from Samsung who has the high-end range of smartphones in Nigeria locked in their pocket.

The Chinese OEM is attempting to offer a “powerful” premium smartphone with incredible features, at more than half the price of Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge. I would say it’s unfair for mobile users in Nigeria to backlash it, like the device was made from inferior components.

Users who have value for money will embrace the Phantom 5, because it literally does everything!
Culled from http://www.techrez.com/tecno-phantom-5-price/

1 Like

Re: Sorry, Everybody, Your Feelings About Tecno Phantom 5 Price Is Empty by sats: 2:26pm On Sep 25, 2015
"i wouldn’t want to say much about the Phantom 5 in this article, a lot would be said on the hands-on-review next week"
trimak, you have not done hands on review yet and you wrote the tales by moonlight above
if you come do hands on review nko?
i guess it will be a textbook,
"tecno phantom 5 : the review"
how does that sound?
catchy, ahn
trimak,do me a favour pls, gerarehere
which gsm network has 4g lte?
that function is yet to be fully utilized in nigeria

instead of me to buy tecno phantom 5
i will buy xiaomi red note 2, dont tell me the phone is not in Nigeria, its selling on konga
or obi worldphone sf1 (expected release in nigeria : this october)

gues what? they all cost below 50k
you think i will pay extra 20k for extra 1 gb ram and/or metal casing?
pls, spare me

3 Likes

Re: Sorry, Everybody, Your Feelings About Tecno Phantom 5 Price Is Empty by 400billionman: 3:05pm On Sep 25, 2015
What is this one saying..

1 Like

Re: Sorry, Everybody, Your Feelings About Tecno Phantom 5 Price Is Empty by lukmoore: 3:21pm On Sep 25, 2015
Ok Phantom 5 is for the Ignorant class, ok now i understand.

3 Likes

Re: Sorry, Everybody, Your Feelings About Tecno Phantom 5 Price Is Empty by trimak: 3:53pm On Sep 25, 2015
sats:
"i wouldn’t want to say much about the Phantom 5 in this article, a lot would be said on the hands-on-review next week"
trimak, you have not done hands on review yet and you wrote the tales by moonlight above
if you come do hands on review nko?
i guess it will be a textbook,
"tecno phantom 5 : the review"
how does that sound?
catchy, ahn
trimak,do me a favour pls, gerarehere
which gsm network has 4g lte?
that function is yet to be fully utilized in nigeria

instead of me to buy tecno phantom 5
i will buy xiaomi red note 2, dont tell me the phone is not in Nigeria, its selling on konga
or obi worldphone sf1 (expected release in nigeria : this october)

gues what? they all cost below 50k
you think i will pay extra 20k for extra 1 gb ram and/or metal casing?
pls, spare me

The article was written last week, there is already a quick video review and unboxing of the device on the blog.

Try to takes things easy, it makes your online conduct pretty sane.

Tecno Phantom 5 is not for everyone buddy.. There are a lot of people who will spend that amount for a metal case and fingerprint sensor.

The iPhone 6 has 1GB RAM, 8MP camera and no SD slot. It is expensive and still sells more than Samsung Galaxy S6 in the U.S and in China..

Despite all the noise about Samsung, Apple has over 200bn dollars in cash that they don't know what to do with..

It's all about brand perception and Tecno is on track. Guys like you will swear never to buy a Tecno Android phone when symbian phones were phasing out.

But they have improved, and by a wide margin.
Re: Sorry, Everybody, Your Feelings About Tecno Phantom 5 Price Is Empty by Twensons(m): 3:55pm On Sep 25, 2015
The best when selecting for example smartphone via Jiji ---> http://link.ac/4ZYp10
Meet with the seller face to face and only after all has checked, give money.
Thus you will not be cheated on.
Re: Sorry, Everybody, Your Feelings About Tecno Phantom 5 Price Is Empty by Randerl: 4:01pm On Sep 25, 2015
@OP, l whole heartedly disagree with you but support the guy quoted below

NCP:
Now over to my concerns about the Tecno Phantom 5

1. Tecno P5 Processor is dated OctaCore processor (2013) vs Xiaomi RN2 Mediatek MT6795 Helio X10 (2015)

2. Cost wise, Tecno #70,000 vs Xiaomi RN2 #45,000

3. Battery wise, based on experience and past product launches, Tecno phone batteries are not properly optimsed for thier devices, wacky, unreliable and false capacity.

4. No OTA updates. Unlike well established and credible alternatives like Xiaomi, Meizu, Infinix etc, all Tecno devices are a pain in the a55 when it comes to product support and updates.

5. Touchscreen and Software Issues. Techno is known for overhanging, unresponsive touchscreen after a month of purchase and many more software related problems.

6. Android OS transition. Moving from one Android version to another means a New Product Launch From Tecno. The next iteration of the Phantom series will be a new product running android v.6, Marshmallow.
Re: Sorry, Everybody, Your Feelings About Tecno Phantom 5 Price Is Empty by trimak: 4:07pm On Sep 25, 2015
Randerl:
@OP, l whole heartedly disagree with you but support the guy quoted below

We do not quote or write based on assumptions. Tecno Phantom 5 has the facility to receive OTA updates and updates will roll-out in the fullness of time.
Re: Sorry, Everybody, Your Feelings About Tecno Phantom 5 Price Is Empty by AdeniyiA(m): 5:22pm On Sep 25, 2015
trimak:

Users who have value for money will embrace the Phantom 5, because it literally does everything!
Culled from http://www.techrez.com/tecno-phantom-5-price/

You fall my hand with your last statement ...

you mean i can download food and withdraw cash with it bah?? undecided
Re: Sorry, Everybody, Your Feelings About Tecno Phantom 5 Price Is Empty by MrOra(m): 5:23pm On Sep 25, 2015
How many times are we going to hear "Tecno has shocked us this time" . I heard that and got Tecno R7, I'll pass please.

(1) (Reply)

MTN Is Hustling For Money Badly / Very Hot How To Get 6gb On Your Glo Sim For Just #1,500 / How To Use Nokia Battery On Android Phone

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.