Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,465 members, 7,881,633 topics. Date: Saturday, 06 July 2024 at 04:24 AM

Misconceptions About Solar Power? What Is The Right Answer? - Science/Technology (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Misconceptions About Solar Power? What Is The Right Answer? (9462 Views)

What You Need To Know About Solar Power And How To Make Your Own Solar Power / 7 Questions You Can't Get The Right Answer Even For 15millon Naira / About Solar Energy: Must Watch Videos For Begginers And Experts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Misconceptions About Solar Power? What Is The Right Answer? by chris81964(m): 6:03pm On Dec 21, 2015
We wish you a merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

Re: Misconceptions About Solar Power? What Is The Right Answer? by chris81964(m): 2:56pm On Dec 27, 2015
Questions you have asked answered in pictures

Re: Misconceptions About Solar Power? What Is The Right Answer? by LasgidyPort: 5:19pm On Dec 29, 2015
chris81964:
Questions you have asked answered in pictures

Pls recommend a good inverter battery for a novice who has read everything you guys have been posting and is even more confused. smiley
Re: Misconceptions About Solar Power? What Is The Right Answer? by chris81964(m): 3:58pm On Dec 30, 2015
LasgidyPort:

Pls recommend a good inverter battery for a novice who has read everything you guys have been posting and is even more confused. smiley
Outback Magnum Schneider Electric Victron SMA are premium brands and you can't go wrong with them
Re: Misconceptions About Solar Power? What Is The Right Answer? by LasgidyPort: 11:31am On Dec 31, 2015
chris81964:

Outback Magnum Schneider Electric Victron SMA are premium brands and you can't go wrong with them

Thank you very much sir for your response. These ones seem a little above my budget. I have been reading about prag inverter and thinking of going for it in combination with FullRiver Batteries.

I know prag is not a premium brand, but can it safely deliver for me in that combination? I seem to like a lot of the features on its display and I was told its a brand I can safely combine with the FullRiver batteries. That other indian brands like Sukam, Kevin, Luminous does not work well with FullRiver batteries.

The installer I contacted wants to give me Kevin + Quanta batteries. He agrees that FullRiver batteries may be a better option to Quanta but stated he does not trust prag inverter, and further said it does not have smooth changeover to public supply when light is restored. How true is this pls? This is contrary to what some other installers and sales persons told me.

Everybody seem to be throwing advice to give advantage to their own products. I know you are well versed in this, I seriously need a neutral opinion. kindly advice.

I also read diverse opinions on nairaland, and a lot of people believe Prag newest additions have been improved on. Abeg help
Re: Misconceptions About Solar Power? What Is The Right Answer? by chris81964(m): 12:35pm On Dec 31, 2015
LasgidyPort:

I also read diverse opinions on nairaland, and a lot of people believe Prag newest additions have been improved on. Abeg help

I have no personal experience with the inverters you mention. The Axpert by Voltronic is one that I have very good experiences with.
Inverters should not really care who the manufacturer of the battery is. Look for an inverter with a good charge algorithm. Minimum you want is a three stage adjustable charger. Adjustment for battery type.
Re: Misconceptions About Solar Power? What Is The Right Answer? by LasgidyPort: 1:42pm On Dec 31, 2015
chris81964:

I have no personal experience with the inverters you mention. The Axpert by Voltronic is one that I have very good experiences with.
Inverters should not really care who the manufacturer of the battery is. Look for an inverter with a good charge algorithm. Minimum you want is a three stage adjustable charger. Adjustment for battery type.

Thank you once again. The algorithm part is too technical for me oh. How do I identify the charge algorithm?

This are the specs I copied from Prag's site on their 2KVA:

Model 2KVA
Rated Capacity 2000VA
Rated Power 1400W
Transformer C.R.G.O
Interface LED graphic
Display Status working & loading & battery
Input
Voltage 140~275 Vac
Frequency 45~65 Hz
Output
Voltage 220Vac ±3% for inverter;190V-245V for avr
Frequency 50/60 Hz ± 0.3Hz, subject to the main
Wave Form Pure sinve wave
Wave Distortion ≤ 3%
Protection
overload / high temperature / output high voltage / output low voltage / battery low voltage / short circuit / over-charge / over-discharge / reversed polarity
Transfer Time ≤ 4ms
Battery Voltage 24V DC
Charge Voltage 27.6V±0.6V
Low Battery Voltage Limit 21.8V ±0.6V
Battery Low Voltage Protection Point 20.5V ±0.6V
Charge Current Max. 10A/15A/20A optional
Cooling System Yes
Environmental
Operating Temperature 0 - 40 ℃
Relative Humidity 10%~90% RH, non-condensing
Storage Temperature ﹣15 - 45 ℃

The part I highlighted, is that the charge algorithm?
Re: Misconceptions About Solar Power? What Is The Right Answer? by chris81964(m): 3:10pm On Dec 31, 2015
LasgidyPort:

Thank you once again. The algorithm part is too technical for me oh. How do I identify the charge algorithm?

This are the specs I copied from Prag's site on their 2KVA:

Model 2KVA
Rated Capacity 2000VA
Rated Power 1400W
Transformer C.R.G.O
Interface LED graphic
Display Status working & loading & battery
Input
Voltage 140~275 Vac
Frequency 45~65 Hz

Charge Current Max. 10A/15A/20A optional
Cooling System Yes

The part I highlighted, is that the charge algorithm?

No it is not. From what I read from your posting it has a very standard but small charger. Your 200 AH battery will require 13 hours @ 15A before it is fully charged.

What you want is an inverter that can take you through a 3 step charge process. Bulk Absorb and Float. Your batteries need to see about 29 V daily. This is done to help keep sulphation at a minimum and meet the daily usage parameters as set by the manufacturer.

The voltage range of 140-275 will panic me too. Would you want your flat screen or refrigerator seeing voltage that is that high? And you know the history of PHCN with bad transformers and fluctuating voltage.

Save the money and purchase the proper piece of equipment.
Re: Misconceptions About Solar Power? What Is The Right Answer? by LasgidyPort: 4:06pm On Dec 31, 2015
chris81964:

No it is not. From what I read from your posting it has a very standard but small charger. Your 200 AH battery will require 13 hours @ 15A before it is fully charged.

What you want is an inverter that can take you through a 3 step charge process. Bulk Absorb and Float. Your batteries need to see about 29 V daily. This is done to help keep sulphation at a minimum and meet the daily usage parameters as set by the manufacturer.

The voltage range of 140-275 will panic me too. Would you want your flat screen or refrigerator seeing voltage that is that high? And you know the history of PHCN with bad transformers and fluctuating voltage.

Save the money and purchase the proper piece of equipment.

smiley smiley Alright sir. Thank you so much. So what is the price range in Naija for those premium brand inverters (1.5KVA)?
Re: Misconceptions About Solar Power? What Is The Right Answer? by chris81964(m): 4:46pm On Dec 31, 2015
LasgidyPort:

smiley smiley Alright sir. Thank you so much. So what is the price range in Naija for those premium brand inverters (1.5KVA)?

You will be paying over N150k for them. Most of the high ends don't carry 1.5 kva in Nigeria. Visit the page of one of the contributors to this forum. Feel free to ask him questions about each Inverter. http://www.solardepotng.com/show_cat.php?catid=6

2 Likes

Re: Misconceptions About Solar Power? What Is The Right Answer? by chris81964(m): 4:49pm On Dec 31, 2015
Light Bulbs and their importance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwaGGVLqV_Y

Re: Misconceptions About Solar Power? What Is The Right Answer? by chris81964(m): 4:26pm On Jan 08, 2016
How much of my battery is my light bulb using?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoLR1TN-_rI
Re: Misconceptions About Solar Power? What Is The Right Answer? by chris81964(m): 4:01pm On Jan 15, 2016
What does having a 15 amp charger in my inverter mean to me? Watch the video for the answer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIhLojzzqRk
Re: Misconceptions About Solar Power? What Is The Right Answer? by chris81964(m): 12:04pm On Feb 02, 2016
Busy week for us Installation in Oyo state on Saturday and finished another in Port Harcourt today

Re: Misconceptions About Solar Power? What Is The Right Answer? by stacia22: 11:48am On Mar 01, 2016
chris81964:
I have been having some exciting exchanges with some experts in solar. We have been trying to determine how they calculate the size of the inverter, the battery bank and the size of the PV.
I have heard 4 batteries 4 panels.
I have heard inverters catch on fire
I have heard 3 kw in panels is too much for 4 batteries. (irrespective of the size)
I have heard you can't run AC on Solar
I have heard the system voltage has no bearing in calculating the battery bank or array size.
I have heard 4 200 AH batteries equal 800 AH. It does not matter if it is 12, 24 or 48 Volts.
I have heard panels are installed facing the east. (hint: the solstices and equinox)
I have heard I can installs panels under a tree or an obstruction.
I have heard. Solar does not work when it rains or when it is cloudy
I have heard solar does not carry Microwave or AC.
I have heard that PWM controllers work very well on huge installations.
We have seen 3 kw in panels with a 20 amp controller
I have heard we tell the customer the inverter size. If he wants to pump water, use his fridge, freezer, microwave and maybe run one AC 10 kva with 8 batteries.
What matters most is the size of the inverter capacity and the battery.
You only need enough solar panel to charge the number of batteries.

Please add your misconceptions and we will take them apart daily one topic at a time.
Solar will work better if we all understand how professionals arrive at calculations
Thank you sir
Re: Misconceptions About Solar Power? What Is The Right Answer? by chris81964(m): 10:39am On Mar 11, 2016
I hope you all had a phenomenal week. Permit me to share a wonderful four weeks with you.

Three weeks ago we were recognized as one the top solar installers in Nigeria by Schneider Electric and invited to a round table in Lagos.

On February 29 Smallstarter.com recognized as one of the top 11 solar companies lighting upAfrica.

Last week the US consulate in Lagos invited us and will give us an opportunity to bid on providing solar power to the ambassador's residence. The trade desk got us an introduction to the Ex Im Bank who will finance equipment purchased in the US.

This week I got invited to be a guest speaker at Yale University Law School where I will talk about my experiences doing business in Nigeria as part of their Doing Business in Africa Series. It is a week long series and I am extra priviledged to be able to stand on the podium and relay my experience.

I want to Thank Chidinma Byron our able VP and Mrs. Ahunna Cook for making the speaking engagement possible.

Please attend and show them that I have people behind me.

Monday, April 25, 2016 4:30 PM-6:00 PM. (UTC-05:00) Eastern Time (US & Canada)
Where: Yale Law School, 127 Wall Street, New Haven, CT 06511

This month has been a dream. The journey has gotten so much sweeter.

Next week we are doing a survey for an estate with over 200 homes on the Lekki Peninsula to provide them with solar power. They accepted our proposal and we have now moved to the survey and feasibility phase.

Please continue to pray for us. AWPS Renewable Energy has worked tirelessly to distinguish herself in our market.

GOD HAS BLESSED US. OUR HARDWORK AND SACRIFICES ARE BEGINNING TO YIELD FRUIT.

When things look most bleak is when you double down and power through the darkness.

1 Like

Re: Misconceptions About Solar Power? What Is The Right Answer? by obstead200(m): 12:51pm On Mar 11, 2016
chris81964:
Will you pay N630k for an 800VA Victron, inverter, two 200 AH Hoppecke 6 V batteries, one 250 Watt panel, one 30 amp charge controller, a roof rack and assorted cables?
Let me know your thoughts.
http://www.victronenergy.com/inverters-chargers/multiplus-12v-24v-48v-800va-3kva
hell No!!!!
Re: Misconceptions About Solar Power? What Is The Right Answer? by obstead200(m): 1:12pm On Mar 11, 2016
chris81964:
I hope you all had a phenomenal week. Permit me to share a wonderful four weeks with you.

Three weeks ago we were recognized as one the top solar installers in Nigeria by Schneider Electric and invited to a round table in Lagos.

On February 29 Smallstarter.com recognized as one of the top 11 solar companies lighting upAfrica.

Last week the US consulate in Lagos invited us and will give us an opportunity to bid on providing solar power to the ambassador's residence. The trade desk got us an introduction to the Ex Im Bank who will finance equipment purchased in the US.

This week I got invited to be a guest speaker at Yale University Law School where I will talk about my experiences doing business in Nigeria as part of their Doing Business in Africa Series. It is a week long series and I am extra priviledged to be able to stand on the podium and relay my experience.

I want to Thank Chidinma Byron our able VP and Mrs. Ahunna Cook for making the speaking engagement possible.

Please attend and show them that I have people behind me.

Monday, April 25, 2016 4:30 PM-6:00 PM. (UTC-05:00) Eastern Time (US & Canada)
Where: Yale Law School, 127 Wall Street, New Haven, CT 06511

This month has been a dream. The journey has gotten so much sweeter.

Next week we are doing a survey for an estate with over 200 homes on the Lekki Peninsula to provide them with solar power. They accepted our proposal and we have now moved to the survey and feasibility phase.

Please continue to pray for us. AWPS Renewable Energy has worked tirelessly to distinguish herself in our market.

GOD HAS BLESSED US. OUR HARDWORK AND SACRIFICES ARE BEGINNING TO YIELD FRUIT.

When things look most bleak is when you double down and power through the darkness.
I have always supported the idea of renewable energy. I presently use inverter and batteries in my house and they are of great benefit. But given the present economic situation in Nigeria, I have a great dislike for anything imported (although I have no choice but to use a lot of them). But I would really prefer if all NIgerian entreprenuers can develop and pursue a vision to end importations.

so am Just wondering..................what are ur thoughts towards "Buy Nigerian, grow the naira" Is there any part of your plans that involve considering the possibility of utilising more nigerian made inputs in ur business? Do u have any vision to possibly support the manufacture of solar panels, chargers and batteries here in Nigeria?

......................like I said, am just wondering....................
Re: Misconceptions About Solar Power? What Is The Right Answer? by chris81964(m): 3:02pm On Mar 11, 2016
obstead200:

I have always supported the idea of renewable energy. I presently use inverter and batteries in my house and they are of great benefit. But given the present economic situation in Nigeria, I have a great dislike for anything imported (although I have no choice but to use a lot of them). But I would really prefer if all NIgerian entreprenuers can develop and pursue a vision to end importations.

so am Just wondering..................what are ur thoughts towards "Buy Nigerian, grow the naira" Is there any part of your plans that involve considering the possibility of utilising more nigerian made inputs in ur business? Do u have any vision to possibly support the manufacture of solar panels, chargers and batteries here in Nigeria?

......................like I said, am just wondering....................

I feel privileged that you have such lofty goals for our company. We continue to refine our business model.
Our first foray into the Nigerian market saw us importing every thing we used. We revised that model to allow for purchases in Nigeria.
We have further revised it to only allow purchases from manufacturers that have representation within Nigeria.
There are a few companies that will start manufacturing in Nigeria. There is a German venture in the North that started production some 15 months ago. Once the provide us with a distribution channel we will purchase from them.
SMA has a manufacturing facility in South Africa. Nigeria is potentially a larger market for solar power. With the right incentive they can be encouraged to manufacture in Nigeria.
Thank you again for your forward thinking question.

1 Like

Re: Misconceptions About Solar Power? What Is The Right Answer? by chris81964(m): 8:52am On Mar 17, 2016
*****AVOID ERNEST NGWU*******
This guy claims to repair inverters. We took 4 Inverters to him for repairs. He claims that the board and Mosfetts were blown. On the 5 kw units he claimed that the charging port was bad and the other had issues that he could not explain.
He denied repairing the 5 kw units that we never gave him 5 kw units. I have them and one of the readers here took it back to the client with me.
The defective charger port still does not charge the batteries.
The other inverter that we took back to a client last night the ATF function does not work, the charger light comes on but it does not charge the batteries. The fans in the inverter don't work. The most glaring was that the display on one of the inverters was no working and he did not notice it. So far two out 3 are bad. We made him return the 4 th.
HE IS A FRAUD, A LIAR, A CHEAT.

Please avoid Ernest Ngwu at all cost. He is a quack and has no clue what he is doing. We avoided repairing inverters in the past and our first attempt has ended in failure.
Re: Misconceptions About Solar Power? What Is The Right Answer? by tsmall(m): 2:37am On Apr 04, 2016
Sorry about that.. hope the situation is under control?

Pls how do you repairs your Outback , Xantrex (Schneider) and Magnum inverter?
Re: Misconceptions About Solar Power? What Is The Right Answer? by onitaja(m): 12:51pm On Jun 28, 2016
Hello, thanks for an informative thread.

I am interested in where to get protective devices for solar installation. Dc fuse, lightning protection etc.

Thanks.

Noticed most installed systems do not have these as part of the installation.
Re: Misconceptions About Solar Power? What Is The Right Answer? by chris81964(m): 11:28am On Jul 02, 2016
onitaja:
Hello, thanks for an informative thread.

I am interested in where to get protective devices for solar installation. Dc fuse, lightning protection etc.

Thanks.

Noticed most installed systems do not have these as part of the installation.
The solar Depot sells them. I import most of mine
Re: Misconceptions About Solar Power? What Is The Right Answer? by chris81964(m): 6:32pm On Aug 27, 2016
Re: Misconceptions About Solar Power? What Is The Right Answer? by endtimeshit(m): 5:01pm On Aug 28, 2016
Sir please how much do you think I will need to install solar power to my self contain apartment? I have a 32in LED tv, a ceiling fan, and electric stove and a small chest freezer.
Re: Misconceptions About Solar Power? What Is The Right Answer? by chris81964(m): 5:26pm On Aug 28, 2016
endtimeshit:
Sir please how much do you think I will need to install solar power to my self contain apartment? I have a 32in LED tv, a ceiling fan, and electric stove and a small chest freezer.

A lot of what I do is to teach you how to do the calculation yourself and also prepare you to ask the correct questions. An electric stove is too power hungry. I have a video series. Myths about solar. One teaches you how to calculate your consumption. From there you can determine how much solar you will need.

(1) (2) (Reply)

FREECALL! FREECALL! Activate Your Airtel 24hrs Freecall To Every Network For 30d / Digital Innovation: Microsoft Partners With Access Bank / The Two-headed Dog Experiment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.