Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,973 members, 7,890,208 topics. Date: Monday, 15 July 2024 at 11:06 AM

Unemployed DBAs:What is the way forward??? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Unemployed DBAs:What is the way forward??? (1102 Views)

A Way Forward For The Field Of Computer Science In Nigeria / Embedded Systems Designs- The Way Forward / Local Software Piracy (Otigba Boys) - The Way Forward (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Unemployed DBAs:What is the way forward??? by Nobody: 1:14pm On Apr 17, 2009
It is a harsh reality that there are few job opportunities for Oracle DBAs. However, I believe that there lies a solution to this ugly situation somewhere for Nigerians. Please if u have any idea of how we can make our DBAs to be more gainfully employed, air them here.

thanks
Re: Unemployed DBAs:What is the way forward??? by Seun(m): 3:46pm On Apr 17, 2009
Learn Microsoft SQL Server. Learn MySQL. Learn PostgreSQL. Learn some programming (Python!)
Re: Unemployed DBAs:What is the way forward??? by Kemjisuper(m): 11:09pm On Apr 20, 2009
Is this really a valid solution? Fighting fire with fire? Learning more IT stuff when you havent found use for the previous? Where's the motivation gonna come from? What happens when you have 3 diff certifications and still no job?

I believe the solution lies in self reliance. What can a DBA do to make ends meet, or sell him/herself to a prospective firm. Lets think in that direction!
Re: Unemployed DBAs:What is the way forward??? by dammytosh: 11:55am On Apr 21, 2009
@Poster

Lets ask ourselves a frank question ?
1. What makes you a DBA ?
2. Is the skill really there or just the passing of Exams using dumps ?

That question answered,
Please the best solutions is to keep developing yourself. Being a DBA might not be enough in Nigeria without any programming skills. The reason is that specialization is not really encouraged.
Like me as a developer, will rather spend the time i will use to communicate to a DBA to design my database my self. And as for anything a DBA can do that i cant do, Google will solve the problem.

So please follow @seun's advice. Learn more skill especially programming, it is very important. As a programmer, u can build solutions and hope that one day somebody will need it but as a DBA, i doubt if u can design a database and hope to sell it one day in this present day nigeria.

- My Opinion
Re: Unemployed DBAs:What is the way forward??? by candylips(m): 9:57am On May 05, 2009
try learn database development. something like PL/SQL
Re: Unemployed DBAs:What is the way forward??? by A40(m): 2:29am On May 13, 2009
MySql is actually not bad to learn and i am trying my hands on that at the moment.There are jobs for DBA's it just depends on how good you are there are limited spaces yeah but there are definitely jobs in banks,oil firms,state governments e.t.c although it would help if you had some programming skills too.No doubt networking is kinda what's hot in Nigeria

(1) (Reply)

Vb. Net Alert / Help: Are A Programer And Software Developer? Hop In / Newbie Needs Help In 'programming'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.