Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,201,590 members, 7,978,967 topics. Date: Friday, 18 October 2024 at 05:45 PM

What's Up With Port Harcourt And Lunacy? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / What's Up With Port Harcourt And Lunacy? (849 Views)

Container Truck Fell Flat On A Car In Port Harcourt And Driver Survives (Photo) / Beautiful Pictures Of Port Harcourt And What To Know (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

What's Up With Port Harcourt And Lunacy? by BeauHomme: 12:40pm On Sep 28, 2015
Although I can't call myself "well travelled", I've had the opportunity to live in some Nigerian cities like Port Harcourt, Ibadan, Jos and Lagos. I've also had reason to visit other towns and cities either on vacation, for events or work. Each location seems to possess its uniqueness, some adorable and others detestable.
I've spent most of the last year in Port Harcourt and aside its usual characteristics as known by PH dwellers and visitors, I've come to notice other unique features, two of which are:

1. Highest density of helicopter in Nigeria: Those living within the Trans Amadi/Stadium road axes can attest to this(other areas too, but I speak of the areas I frequent most). From helicopters servicing oil and gas companies, to military helicopters on routine patrols. Being a hub within the Niger-Delta, this doesn't come as a surprise. From oil and gas onshore/offshore logistics, to executive airport/company facility shuttles, to routine pipeline/location security patrols, the need for helicopters in this city cannot be overemphasized.

2. The alarming number of lunatics on the streets: This is probably the main reason for opening this thread. Madmen/women exist world over, but never have I seen a concentration as much as I've witnessed in Port Harcourt. Taking a short walk in some areas, and you're bound to count a handful. Surprisingly In the areas I've observed, these fellows seem to replicate a behaviour that exists in the wild...'territorialism'. In the wild, a lion exercised caution when straying out of its marked territory or risks attack from the 'landlords' of the neighbouring territories. In our case, even though there are no visible territorial markings for madmen/women in this city, it's observed that they don't wander wide around the city but remain within territories as small as a few hundred meters in radius. Get past that zone and you're sure to meet the 'chairman' of the next. On my daily commute(a 5mins drive or 40mins walk) I pass through 4 of such territories. Not forgetting also that new members seem to join the association on a monthly basis. I saw one yesterday with his cloths still looking neat, though irregularly adorned. He was on a one-man squad march parade, marching like a soldier with a vigorous nod of the head accompanying each step.

Is Port Harcourt gradually becoming the Lunacy capital of Nigeria?

(1) (Reply)

7 Ways To Survive A Stolen Wallet On A Trip / An African In Lisbon, Portugal / First Look At Airlander 10 - Largest Aircraft In The World

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.