Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,944 members, 7,873,029 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 06:58 AM

Discover The Hidden Secret Of Resume Writing - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Discover The Hidden Secret Of Resume Writing (1783 Views)

This Type Of Resume Can Get You Interview Invites. Stand Out!!! / This Type Of Resume Can Get You Interview Invites. Stand Out!!! / Format Of A Nigerian Resume (CV) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Discover The Hidden Secret Of Resume Writing by cbi24: 11:44am On Apr 18, 2009
Hi all,

I have been a fan of this section for a very long time . And i know that people post alot of job vancancies on this section.

But the truth is there are few job out there and those that will get the job have to present them as a branded icon so that the employer can look at them the second time.

This is what i mean,First impression matter alot.Most employers don't even ask of application letter again but what they normally ask is Your Resume.

So what is so special about resume ? you may ask.

In a lay man language Resume is your sale letter .

So keep up with me on this trend as i expose to you the hidden secret of Resume writing .

Thanks
Isong Dennis
Re: Discover The Hidden Secret Of Resume Writing by cbi24: 6:36pm On Apr 18, 2009
ok let me start like this,

What is a Resume?

A resume is a brief document which highlights an individual's experience, qualifications, and skills, in the hopes of securing a job interview. In some regions of the world, the term “resume” is used interchangeably with Curriculum Vitae (CV), while in other places, the two terms refer to very different documents. A resume is a standard inclusion with any job or internship application, and it may be requested for applicants into graduate and professional schools as well. As a general rule, a resume is only one page long, although special circumstances may call for an additional page.

A good resume contains basic information about the applicant, organized in a way which is easy for the reader to comprehend. Clear contact information is usually at the top, followed by work experience, educational achievements, a list of skills, relevant certifications or awards, and contact information for references, though not necessarily in this order. The organization of a resume is a fine art, and it requires some work to create a strong resume. In some cases, people ask for professional help when assembling a resume.

Please stay tuned as i expose different philosophical approaches to a resume on the next post,

Isong Dennis
Re: Discover The Hidden Secret Of Resume Writing by cbi24: 10:18am On Apr 20, 2009
viewing this topic is not enough , if you really like what am sharing with you , make your comment of it,
Re: Discover The Hidden Secret Of Resume Writing by cbi24: 10:00am On Apr 21, 2009
i need a comment of this post before i continue this topic,
Re: Discover The Hidden Secret Of Resume Writing by yusufade: 10:50am On Apr 21, 2009
Hello cbi24, who knows maybe the delay in my job search is as a result of this your hidden resume writting.

I am looking forward to more of your post on this topic, beacuse it will do a lot of good to thousand of jobless grauduate of there.

God bless u
Re: Discover The Hidden Secret Of Resume Writing by jytops: 1:34pm On Apr 21, 2009
cool :DThat was a nice cb24. pls continue ur article
Re: Discover The Hidden Secret Of Resume Writing by cbi24: 9:38am On Apr 22, 2009
Thanks for your comment i will continue,

There are several different philosophical approaches to a resume. All are designed to sell the resume writer in some way or another, and by convention many job seekers tailor their resumes to a specific job or employer. This tailoring allows job candidates to bring out their strongest skills for an individual position. Some job seekers also add deeper levels of personalization, designed to humanize them to potential employers. Some employers actively request more personal information, such as hobbies or favorite vacations spots, in an attempt to learn more about the psychology of the applicant.

In some cases, a resume is arranged strictly chronologically. In this instance, educational accomplishments will usually lead, followed by employment history. A chronological resume often includes all work experience, since gaps will be easier to spot. In other cases, a resume is organized by relevance, with blocks of similar information clumped together. A resume put together in this fashion usually features only relevant work experience for a position, so that potential employers do not have to slog through the applicant's entire life history.

In nations which distinguish between a resume and a CV, a CV is much more detailed. The CV will include all life accomplishments ranging from awards earned in high school to journal publications, in chronological order. In the academic community, CVs are very common. They allow applicants to provide more information about themselves, and they may be several pages long.

Stay on as i continue to show you some hidden secret,
Re: Discover The Hidden Secret Of Resume Writing by cbi24: 12:36pm On Apr 23, 2009
stay tuned, for more is coming
Re: Discover The Hidden Secret Of Resume Writing by hallo(f): 3:18pm On Apr 23, 2009
Thanks for this info, expecting more cheesy cheesy cheesy smiley smiley
Re: Discover The Hidden Secret Of Resume Writing by cbi24: 10:08am On Apr 24, 2009
Thanks for your comments
Re: Discover The Hidden Secret Of Resume Writing by cbi24: 3:14am On Jun 06, 2009
Dear Forumite I have been away for the past one month but right now I am back

So let me continue our discussion

Let's face it -- we all have just one history. Sure, we may have different
goals in mind, but no one has Life A, Life B, and Life C running concurrently.
Most people have had different types of jobs and have worked in different
industries, but can distill their resume into just one "past".

In the same vein, we have just one future. And the next step in your career i
s finite -- you can only take one step at a time, right? If you tried to take three
different steps in three different directions at once, you'd end up with tangled
feet, an inevitable fall, and a definite loss in time.

Defining Your Future

So how do you know which step is the right, next step?
Simple -- look at your last career step, or maybe your last series of steps.
Uncertain job seekers should always look at their past experience
and education, since it's this experience that will lead them to the next position.

Let me give you an example - say you're a sales management pro, who started out in inside sales.
Over time, you've changed employers and worked in different types of sales (B2B, B2C, Retail,
Outside Sales, Territory Management, etc.) in different types of industries. Now you're ready
to take that next career step into executive management. You test the waters and find several
different positions that pique your interest: a national sales director for a technology company,
a national business development manager for a specific product line within a luxury consumer
product group, and a vice president of sales for a smaller company that is an OEM for a niche product.

Do you need three different resumes? No. Why not? Because you have just one background to
present to all three employers and the focus is the same for all three jobs -- national sales management.

A lot of job seekers in this position would want to create a few "resume versions"
by rearranging some content in the summary, changing a few keywords, and calling it a different file name.

But here's the thing - most of the time, these different "versions" show minimal and
barely detectable changes. They make no real impact on the reader and no difference
in terms of winning the interview. In fact, sometimes a different "version" might actually
be weaker than the parent resume that solidly presents the qualifications and experience in a focused manner.

Till I come your away again

Remain Blessed
Re: Discover The Hidden Secret Of Resume Writing by cbi24: 11:53am On Jun 10, 2009
Today I will be teaching us the 5 things you should never include in your resume

So lets go

Composing a resume is a difficult task, as we all know. It takes time and patience to fit your whole professional history within one or two pages, and present yourself as the best candidate for the job. While we focus so much of our energy on what to include in our resumes, we forget to stop and think about the information that should never be included. The following five items are at the top of the Resume Don’ts list:

1. Do not get personal. Any information that discloses your demographics should not be listed in your resume. Your age, race, ethnicity, religious beliefs, marital status, physical appearance, or your personal philosophies are not critical to your job performance, and therefore should never be listed on your resume. Present yourself as a professional to your potential employers. Your resume is not a list of your hobbies or interests; it is a listing of your education, your qualifications and your employment history. Stick to the information relevant to the job and your career objective.

2. Do not list salary information or requirements on your resume. This is a strict rule, and you must follow it. Your employer is concerned with what your desired salary is, not what you earned in your first job out of college. If you are asked to provide salary requirements, do so in your cover letter not your resume. As a best practice, always list a minimum you are willing to accept for the job, and avoid using a salary range. Do your research and know what the acceptable salary is for the job of your interest. Whenever possible, leave all salary conversations to for the interview with your potential employer.

3. Do not use jargon or too many “big words.” Unless you are absolutely certain that the person reading your resume will understand the terminology you are using, avoid using jargon in your resume. Gear your resume toward recruiters rather than an immediate hiring manager, because the human resources associates are usually the first to scan your resume. You should showcase your knowledge of a particular field through your education and experience; thus, jargon doesn’t have any place on your resume. In addition, avoid using too many “big words.” Don’t hide behind your vocabulary; making your resume overbearing is sure to lose the interest of your employer. Use the action words that are relevant to your career level.

4. Do not list your personal web site. As a rule, do not include your personal web site if it contains your photo or other photos that may be viewed as inappropriate, if it contains jokes (even if they are clean jokes), or your blog. In other words, if the site you have is entirely for personal purposes, you are best leaving it off your resume. Only include a link to your web site if the pages are set up to showcase your professional portfolio, a copy of your resume, reference letters, presentations, photos taken for professional use, or your web development skills.

5. Do not have any typos. The most important factor in achieving a winning resume is proof reading. You want to put your best foot forward. If your resume contains grammar and spelling problems, your potential employer will get an impression that you are not detail-oriented. It is hard to proof a document you have been working on so closely – use spell check (but be ware, it will not catch everything), ask your friends for help, meet with a career counselor. Do your best to present the most polished resume to your potential employers.

Click here http:///qo783o  to get the book on how to write great resume that will guarantee you a Job

(1) (Reply)

Channels Television Is Recruiting / Access Bank. / Questions To Expect In NNPC Recruitment Test

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.