Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,759 members, 7,875,907 topics. Date: Sunday, 30 June 2024 at 01:24 AM

I Wasn’t A Journalist As Jonathan’s Spokesperson –abati - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Wasn’t A Journalist As Jonathan’s Spokesperson –abati (515 Views)

Obasanjo Spotted Playing Traditional Game, Ayo, As Jonathan Watches. Photo / Wada’s Return In Jeopardy As Jonathan, Ali, Idris Withdraw Support / Why I Wasn’t Moved By Orubebe’s Outburst – Jega (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Wasn’t A Journalist As Jonathan’s Spokesperson –abati by HungerBAD: 3:53am On Sep 29, 2015
A former Special Adviser on Media to the former President Goodluck Jonathan, Dr. Reuben Abati, has said many journalists failed to appreciate the delicate and sensitive nature of his job, as they pestered him to react to some national issues while he held the post.

He said this on Monday in Abeokuta on the sideline of the 2015 annual lecture of the Ogun State Correspondents’ chapter of the Nigeria Union of Journalists.

Abati, who had earlier spoken on the theme, ‘Media and Economic Renaissance,’ said some journalists covering the State House did complain that he would not pick their calls whenever they wanted to get his reactions.

He noted that some of them failed to realise that he was a government spokesman and not a ‘journalist’ at that point in time, as they still expected his scathing criticisms and personal conviction.

He said, “Once you are in government, you are no more a journalist. It’s just like a royal court, the king does not go out there, he sends someone to deliver his message to the people. You are an agent to a principal.

“The job of a government spokesman is delicate and sensitive. If you are a careless spokesperson, you will blow up a country. It is not everything that a hunter sees in the bush that he talks about.

“But my colleagues, the journalists, still wanted me to talk as Abati, the columnist or Abati as a panelist in Patito’s Gang. Loquacity is not an asset when you are a government spokesman.”

Dwelling on the topic of the lecture, Abati called on media owners and journalists to be abreast of the economic policies of government, since such policies would affect them and their organisations.

He said, “We must prioritise issues of economic diversification. We must be interested in economic policies, we must acquire the skills to interrogate and analyse economic policies and we must interrogate people at the helm of affairs so that we can be crusaders of good society.”

He urged journalists to put political office holders on their toes to implement viable economic policies for national development.

Abati, who was the former chairman, The Guardian Newspaper Editorial Board, noted that most of the past economic policies put up by successive governments failed due to lack of dedication and continuity on the part of public office holders.

He bemoaned the idea of a new administration wanting to start everything afresh even when the immediate past government had some viable projects and programmes that would put the country on the path of sustainable development.

He said former President Jonathan introduced over 60 economic reforms which, he claimed, had been discarded by the incumbent administration, noting such lack of continuity in economic policies would breed socio-political instability.

He noted that the agricultural policy of the Jonathan administration dwelt on the entire value chain in that sector.

Earlier, the chairman of the occasion, the CEO of Rock City FM and a former Commissioner for Information in Ogun State, Mr. Niran Malaolu, advised journalists to stop ‘crucifying’ their colleagues when they were appointed as commissioners, advisers, or senior special assistants.

Rather, he said, they should support them and make them succeed.

http://www.punchng.com/news/i-wasnt-a-journalist-as-jonathans-spokesperson-abati/

1 Like

Re: I Wasn’t A Journalist As Jonathan’s Spokesperson –abati by dexpee4life(m): 3:55am On Sep 29, 2015
THen what were you
Re: I Wasn’t A Journalist As Jonathan’s Spokesperson –abati by eleko1: 4:00am On Sep 29, 2015
Useless talk ''He urged journalists to put political office holders on their toes'' undecided sad.We all see how Abati put jona on his toes while he was busy dancing Skelewu the same day those bastards bomb Abuja.

1 Like

Re: I Wasn’t A Journalist As Jonathan’s Spokesperson –abati by pet4ril(f): 4:02am On Sep 29, 2015
tongue like seriously?
Re: I Wasn’t A Journalist As Jonathan’s Spokesperson –abati by eleko1: 4:02am On Sep 29, 2015
A clown.
dexpee4life:
THen what were you
Re: I Wasn’t A Journalist As Jonathan’s Spokesperson –abati by BALLOSKI: 4:05am On Sep 29, 2015
He was an attack dog and a super wailer, not a journalist- this we know.
Re: I Wasn’t A Journalist As Jonathan’s Spokesperson –abati by Zuris: 4:10am On Sep 29, 2015
Who cares what he was?
Re: I Wasn’t A Journalist As Jonathan’s Spokesperson –abati by BALLOSKI: 4:19am On Sep 29, 2015
said some journalists covering the State House did complain that he would not pick their calls whenever they wanted to get his reactions.

No wonder jonathan failed . This is the kind of people he surrounded himself with. Any spoxx that does this is a bad one. No wonder we kept hearing "calls made to abati were not picked and text messages not replied as at the time of filing this report".
Re: I Wasn’t A Journalist As Jonathan’s Spokesperson –abati by Nobody: 5:27am On Sep 29, 2015
Abati Abati, you sold out on the long run.
Re: I Wasn’t A Journalist As Jonathan’s Spokesperson –abati by kingdompropty: 6:32am On Sep 29, 2015
True. The nature of his job was sensitive. Just like Adeshina and Garba shehu.
Re: I Wasn’t A Journalist As Jonathan’s Spokesperson –abati by omowolewa: 6:35am On Sep 29, 2015
Damage control.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Wasn’t A Journalist As Jonathan’s Spokesperson –abati by otukpo(f): 6:39am On Sep 29, 2015
Abatti, go pick ip your pen again.. you have always been good in your profession.
Re: I Wasn’t A Journalist As Jonathan’s Spokesperson –abati by cyberdurable(m): 6:39am On Sep 29, 2015
grin grin
Re: I Wasn’t A Journalist As Jonathan’s Spokesperson –abati by omenka(m): 6:43am On Sep 29, 2015
“But my colleagues, the journalists, still wanted me to talk as Abati, the columnist or Abati as a panelist in Patito’s Gang. Loquacity is not an asset when you are a government spokesman.”
This dude just told us in a subtle way as a government spokesman, your job is simply to LIE. Nice one fella.

He surely misses the spotlight. At last, he's got some. Now, can he crawl back into the cave where from he emerged and continue his hibernation?? Winter isn't over yet for people his calibre, and won't be for at least 8years.
Re: I Wasn’t A Journalist As Jonathan’s Spokesperson –abati by talktimi(m): 7:21am On Sep 29, 2015
Truly there are many illiterates here. Someone is talking about the sensitive nature of a job while others insult him it of pure hatred not that Abati hurt any of these fóols in any way.
Some of you guys really need a crash course on English comprehension
Re: I Wasn’t A Journalist As Jonathan’s Spokesperson –abati by mkpy: 7:26am On Sep 29, 2015
yes, you were only one of those who sabotaged him and sold out to tinubu. we know. we hope you enjoy your change.
Re: I Wasn’t A Journalist As Jonathan’s Spokesperson –abati by Nobody: 7:45am On Sep 29, 2015
Stop reporting ghosts and ancestors.. We are in the 21st century

(1) (Reply)

Why Senator Sariki's Appeal Suffered Setback / Tribunal Nullifies Ondo Rep’s Election / See How Gov Fayose Disgrace This Man

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.