Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,188,904 members, 7,935,876 topics. Date: Friday, 30 August 2024 at 05:42 PM

UN Counters Nigeria, Says Country Was PROPERLY Invited To The Meeting PMB Missed - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / UN Counters Nigeria, Says Country Was PROPERLY Invited To The Meeting PMB Missed (1019 Views)

Fayose Condemns FG's Attack On Men Of God, Says Country Will Be In Crisis If.... / UN Counters Nigeria, Says Country Properly Invited To Missed Boko Haram meeting. / EXCLUSIVE: UN Counters Nigeria, Says Country Properly Invited To Missed Boko Har (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

UN Counters Nigeria, Says Country Was PROPERLY Invited To The Meeting PMB Missed by Kenai: 3:41pm On Sep 30, 2015
This is for the people looking to pin the blame on Joy Ogwu for something that was no fault of hers but a direct result of the incompetence on the part of the president and his delegates. The UN has just come out to further put the FG to shame:

The United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs, (UNOCHA), has told PREMIUM TIMES that Nigeria was officially informed and properly invited to a high-level event in New York where the Boko Haram insurgency in the Lake Chad Basin was discussed.
This is contrary to the claims by the Nigerian presidency that the country was neither informed nor invited to the meeting where Nigeria’s neighbours and key humanitarian agencies brainstormed on how to tackle the refugee crisis caused by the conflict.
The event was organised by UN Under-Secretary-General, Stephen O’Brien, but Nigeria, the epicentre of the Boko Haram insurgency, was absent.
Reuters news agency reported last week that U.S. and European Union diplomats were disappointed that Nigeria was not represented at the meeting.
The news of the absence of the Nigerian delegation at the meeting attracted condemnation back home with many blaming it on the failure of President Muhammadu Buhari to appoint ministers.
They argued that a competent minister of foreign affairs would have ensured that the country was represented at the meeting where such an important issue was discussed.
In an email to PREMIUM TIMES, on Sunday, backed up with a list of events the President’s delegation was invited to participate, the Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity, Garba Shehu, insisted the presidency did not get an invite to attend the meeting.
“There is no record of any invitation to the Nigerian Mission as confirmed by the Permanent Representative, Prof Joy Ogwu,” he said.
But a spokesperson for UNOCHA, Jens Laerke, who is based in Geneva, told PREMIUM TIMES over the telephone that not only was the office of the Permanent Representative of the Nigerian Mission to the United Nations officially informed and invited for the event, an invite was in fact sent to the office of the Vice President, Yemi Osinbajo, prior to the departure of the Nigerian delegation to the UNGA.
“I’m almost 100 per cent sure that Nigeria was invited. One of the reasons was that I read the original speech by O’Brien in which he acknowledged the presence of the Nigerian government,” he said.
Mr Laerke, however, asked to be allowed to double-check with his colleague in New York, who was in charge of inviting participants for the meeting. He called back four hours later after checking with his organisation’s New York office.
“I’ve just been in contact with my colleague in New York and we can assure you that the government of Nigeria was invited to the event and my colleagues in New York did what they could to ensure that they were provided with the invitation,” he said.
When asked which organ of the Nigerian government the invite was sent to, Mr Laerke responded: “Actually, the government was invited both by direct communication to the Vice President and then subsequently through the permanent representation in New York.
“My colleague told me he actually went there personally to hand over the invitation to make sure they receive the invitation. We really made an effort to make sure the government was aware of the invitation because we really want them to come.”

When asked to for documentary evidence that the Nigerian mission was actually informed, and indeed received and acknowledged the invitation, Mr Laerke demanded an official letter before that could be made available.
PREMIUM TIMES did exactly as he requested.
In an email to this newspaper on Tuesday, Mr Laerke said the New York office of UNOCHA was yet to revert to him.
“I have not obtained any reply regarding your request for access to written documentation. In the meantime, however, I have double checked the matter and I can assure you that Nigeria was invited to the event. We don’t know why they didn’t come.
“You may want to raise this with the Permanent Mission of Nigeria at the UN in New York.
Allow me to add that the Nigerian Government is a valued partner of the UN and UNOCHA,” he wrote.
PREMIUM TIMES contacted Nigeria’s Permanent Mission to the United Nations but its spokesperson, Tope Elias-Fatile, declined to provide categorical answer when asked if the Mission received an invite for the Boko Haram event.
This newspaper sent Mr. Elias-Fatile an email on Monday asking him five questions, including two dealing with Nigeria’s invitation to and representation at the Boko Haram event.
Other questions dealt with President Buhari’s attendance at the session where Pope Francis addressed the UN.
But in his response, the spokesperson gave a blanket answer which did not categorically answer any of the questions.
He merely said, “Only one answer with brief explanation will suffice to all the questions:
“Mr. President arrived promptly to all events in which he was scheduled to attend, including Pope Francis’ address to the United Nations.
“Specifically, Mr. President arrived promptly at the General Assembly well ahead of Pope’s address and he listened to the address. You can verify this by any video coverage of the event.”
Efforts to seek clarification from Permanent Representative Joy Ogwu by telephone was unsuccessful.
Since Saturday, multiple calls to the Mission’s telephone numbers were answered by an automated voice prompt that kept linking the calls to what appeared a dead extension.
A separate email to the official address of the permanent mission, sent Saturday, has also not been replied.
When contacted on the insistence by the UN that Nigeria was invited to the event, presidential spokesperson, Garba Shehu, said, “Ask them to give you evidence that the invitation was delivered, and the name of the staff who received it. Prof. Joy Ogwu said there was no invitation. We need evidence before anyone can say what she said is inaccurate.”
Laolu Akande, the spokesperson for Vice President Yemi Osinbajo, whose office UNOCHA said it also informed of the event, could not be reached to comment for this story. His telephone was switched off the several times PREMIUM TIMES called.

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/190783-exclusive-un-counters-nigeria-says-country-properly-invited-to-missed-boko-haram-meeting.html

cc: Lalasticlala, Ishilove, Firefire, AgabaI23, Atlwireles, WhiteTechnology, Whynotthetruth, Beremx, sunnyb0b0, Anonimi, MizMyColi, Ola6, Chukwudi44, NgeneUkwenu, Midolian, Modath, OrlandoOwoh, Jarus, Owobokiri, Owobikiri, AnambraDota, Rozayx5, Mogidi, TonyeBarcanista...

At this point, I would really like to appeal to Buhari and his loyalists to kindly desist from this cowardly tactic of scape-goating and grow up. Somebody needs to let them know that you can win an election via propaganda, but you cannot govern a state with it.
You can fool some of the people some of the time, some of the people all the time, and even all of the people some of the time; but you can NEVER fool ALL of the people ALL the time.
The presidency's desperate attempt to pin the blame on Joy Ogwu is just the lowest of the low.
Accept that you were irresponsible and let it go.
Period!

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: UN Counters Nigeria, Says Country Was PROPERLY Invited To The Meeting PMB Missed by tayebest(m): 3:46pm On Sep 30, 2015
...and whats this pained wailer saying?? undecided
Re: UN Counters Nigeria, Says Country Was PROPERLY Invited To The Meeting PMB Missed by MizMyColi(f): 3:48pm On Sep 30, 2015

1 Like

Re: UN Counters Nigeria, Says Country Was PROPERLY Invited To The Meeting PMB Missed by MizMyColi(f): 3:49pm On Sep 30, 2015
Accept that you were irresponsible and let it go.
Period!

Them go gree hear word?
undecided

5 Likes

Re: UN Counters Nigeria, Says Country Was PROPERLY Invited To The Meeting PMB Missed by Kenai: 3:58pm On Sep 30, 2015
tayebest:

It's understandable you can't read, just like your certificateless hero, because you're both natural born dunces attempting to take on matters far above your mediocre intellect.
As always, exit door's on the left.

8 Likes

Re: UN Counters Nigeria, Says Country Was PROPERLY Invited To The Meeting PMB Missed by zicoraads: 4:00pm On Sep 30, 2015
grin cheesy cheesy grin

These Change chanters are utterly foolish. Just accept that you were at fault and allowed the old baba to sleep off, forgetting he had an engagement like this.

Always looking for someone's image to tarnish. If it's not foolishness, someone like Prof Ogwu who is a seasoned diplomat is who they want to bring down undecided

They will tire, just how they got tired of pursuing NOI.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: UN Counters Nigeria, Says Country Was PROPERLY Invited To The Meeting PMB Missed by free13: 4:17pm On Sep 30, 2015
Apc = party of lies.
Re: UN Counters Nigeria, Says Country Was PROPERLY Invited To The Meeting PMB Missed by free13: 4:18pm On Sep 30, 2015
Apc = party of lies.
Re: UN Counters Nigeria, Says Country Was PROPERLY Invited To The Meeting PMB Missed by Osezzua(m): 4:37pm On Sep 30, 2015
so far so good, Premium times appears to be on track with its objective journalism

2 Likes

Re: UN Counters Nigeria, Says Country Was PROPERLY Invited To The Meeting PMB Missed by nationwide1(m): 6:02pm On Sep 30, 2015
I thought APC government had learned a lesson. You don't go to America and tell lies and you would not be exposed. If you doubt me, go and ask Oshiomole. I didn't need an article like this to know that the presidency told lies that an invite was not forwarded to them because APC has the trademark of telling lies.

Has APC government ever accepted responsibility for their incompetence? Fulani herdsmen kidnapped Baba Olu Falae and they blamed it on Dr Mimiko but when Shettima was quizzed on abduction of Chibok schoolgirls, APC said Dr Jonathan was the chief security officer and not Shettima.

When the fruits of the work of the last government are yielding seeds, Lai Mohammed would say it's Buhari's body language, but when they try and fail, they would blame it Goodluck Jonathan/ PDP.

I only pity their gullible, emotional and brainwashed followers.

2 Likes

Re: UN Counters Nigeria, Says Country Was PROPERLY Invited To The Meeting PMB Missed by NoreenUG(f): 6:29pm On Sep 30, 2015
i always knew apc and their disciples were just shamelessly trying to make the poor woman take the fall for their cluelessness.
they are experts at character assassination and media justice.
what a contemptable lot!

1 Like

Re: UN Counters Nigeria, Says Country Was PROPERLY Invited To The Meeting PMB Missed by NoreenUG(f): 6:30pm On Sep 30, 2015
meanwhile lalasticlala, this thread deserves frontpage wouldn't u say so?
Re: UN Counters Nigeria, Says Country Was PROPERLY Invited To The Meeting PMB Missed by dunkem21(m): 6:32pm On Sep 30, 2015
grin
Re: UN Counters Nigeria, Says Country Was PROPERLY Invited To The Meeting PMB Missed by Liamm(m): 10:47pm On Sep 30, 2015
Like seriously shocked.

Now I know why they are called lying liars. *spits*
Re: UN Counters Nigeria, Says Country Was PROPERLY Invited To The Meeting PMB Missed by neocortex: 11:04pm On Sep 30, 2015
It is Prof. Ogwu's fault that Buhari presented to empty seats -APC.
Re: UN Counters Nigeria, Says Country Was PROPERLY Invited To The Meeting PMB Missed by landinfo: 11:58pm On Sep 30, 2015
Don't worry, the Lying Liarz wud easily shift the blame game to BabaGOD in heaven wey dey hin own jeje ni
Re: UN Counters Nigeria, Says Country Was PROPERLY Invited To The Meeting PMB Missed by CSTR2: 12:02am On Oct 01, 2015
of course, this one is not important to nairalanders.
They are still busy discussing why the igboman is not president yet, due to a supposed political dominance by hordes of nitwits.
Backward shitthole of a nation.
Re: UN Counters Nigeria, Says Country Was PROPERLY Invited To The Meeting PMB Missed by eyesofgod: 1:13am On Oct 01, 2015
O Kenai! How has the political wilderness been like? Good that you are still in one piece after the Buhari tsunami. En hen, less I forget, what about Collynzo9? I am sure he has gone back to his patent medicine business. While I rejoice at your tenacitg to continue to live despite your ghastly misadventure I also wish you a happy independent day.

cc Collynzo9
Re: UN Counters Nigeria, Says Country Was PROPERLY Invited To The Meeting PMB Missed by MisterLongman(m): 1:22am On Oct 01, 2015
Maybe. Osinbajo dey bourdillon dey flex with Tinubu when the IV came in
Re: UN Counters Nigeria, Says Country Was PROPERLY Invited To The Meeting PMB Missed by erunz(m): 1:54am On Oct 01, 2015
Another lie bursted, thought it was Joy Ogwu's fault, the moment we start realising that this clown of president us the better.

They went tonus and lied they collected list of corrupt Nigerians- US envoy refute the statement
They went to US missed important programmes they where toattend, they lie they were not properly invite-- the UN hace also refute they claim.

They only ine they attended well was wen we discovered WEST GERMANY.

God help us
Re: UN Counters Nigeria, Says Country Was PROPERLY Invited To The Meeting PMB Missed by porka: 2:38am On Oct 01, 2015
[size=13pt]These things are very complicated. The will never be able to give any meaningful explanation, both in New York and Osinbajo's office.

Maybe he went to pray at the time; being a prayer 'warrior' that he is. And having no trust in any other person to delegate the responsibility, he ended up missing important schedules, and they simply were looking at each other in serious embarrassment.

We would read them in someone's book one day.[/size]
Re: UN Counters Nigeria, Says Country Was PROPERLY Invited To The Meeting PMB Missed by Nobody: 11:07am On Oct 01, 2015
free13:
Apc = party of lies.

Re: UN Counters Nigeria, Says Country Was PROPERLY Invited To The Meeting PMB Missed by ojaydedon(m): 11:46am On Oct 01, 2015
Re: UN Counters Nigeria, Says Country Was PROPERLY Invited To The Meeting PMB Missed by ojaydedon(m): 11:57am On Oct 01, 2015
tayebest:

everytime wailing wailers... Thats all u people know how to say.. Just becos u dnt want to accept that tins are going wrong, u stick to saying wailing wailers all the time.. If u are really a true nigerian, u will face wats on ground... Its not about been an apc supporter but about being a true Nigerian that really wants progress.. Shallom
Re: UN Counters Nigeria, Says Country Was PROPERLY Invited To The Meeting PMB Missed by DebateNigeria: 12:21pm On Oct 01, 2015
Government of propaganda, by propaganda and for propaganda

(1) (Reply)

Tribunal Upholds Senator George Sekibo Election / AUDU OGBEH; UNFIT, TOO OLD & NOT A TECHNOCRAT? / ‘Would Yoruba elders have threatened to secede if Falae’s kidnappers were Igbo ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.