Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,350 members, 7,881,292 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 04:01 PM

The Growing Popularity Of Dog Meat - Food (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / The Growing Popularity Of Dog Meat (5783 Views)

22 Persons Dead In Rivers After Drinking Local Gin, Eating Dog Meat / Five Confirmed Dead After Eating Dog Meat In Rivers / Is There Anything Wrong In Eating Dog Meat? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Growing Popularity Of Dog Meat by audio: 11:51am On Apr 20, 2009
Sky Blue:

No need to tell me to calm down, I am not riled up so chill : )
Intelligence? Do a search on intelligent animals, in fact try youtube sef, something should be on there in this regard. You have horses doing maths, pigs doing intelligent things, etc, so that point seems invalid to me. Can't goats also be domesticated? If you argued along the lines of "endangered species" or something of the sort, then fine. If not, I don't get it. And by the way, people do eat monkeys in Nigeria and other part of the world LOL.

And since when was it generally accepted that dog has been man's best friend? What about people in the middle east who would argue with you that their camels are their best friends? Again, it just seems so anglocentric an idea. So you mean in the days of okonkwo of[i] things fall apart[/i], they had dogs running around called chidozie that they kept as pets? LOL

I give up. LOL. Eat Away and may the force be with you
Re: The Growing Popularity Of Dog Meat by SkyBlue1: 11:54am On Apr 20, 2009
audio:

Sorry, don't do dogs (not tried them yet anyway) : )
Re: The Growing Popularity Of Dog Meat by Foxflames: 11:54am On Apr 20, 2009
all of una dey talk nonsense,
make beter person post me the recipe for dog meat peppersoup. grin
thank you.
Re: The Growing Popularity Of Dog Meat by Nobody: 12:22pm On Apr 20, 2009
audio:

Which kind of force be that? The same force wen go follow you when you eat beef, pork, chicken etc?
Sky blue gave you an objective analysis on why its hypocritical to condemn dog eaters and all you could do was to accuse him of eating dog. . . LOL.
Re: The Growing Popularity Of Dog Meat by blacksta(m): 1:10pm On Apr 20, 2009
audio:

About that incident, how could you possibly know the guy was Igbo? Did you interview him afterwards?

@Topic. Although Dogs are also meat, so are human beings. Dogs have been mans best friend for centuries. If we say it's okay to eat them, next thing we'll be killing each other as the newest delicacy. I can't believe someone will look at a dogs head to check the parts.

That to me is gross. I had several dogs growing up and i loved all of them to death. I'm sorry, but the practise is repulsive

How can i interview him- look at what you talking. How can anybody in their right sense ( after been traumistied by event where a gentle peace loving dog  has just been hacked to death for the purpose of ise ewu or pepper soup) inteview an igbo man carrying a bloody bag containing disected dog meat and holding a sharp cutlass. back to your question:  I know the area very well as i spent almost 17 years there and can tell u that the igbo man was not from the area and he tracked the dog to the uncompleted building.  I am dog lover and up til now i still have dog nightmares.
Re: The Growing Popularity Of Dog Meat by topsy25(m): 1:33pm On Apr 20, 2009
there is one adage in Yoruba which says: ayangbe aja ma ndun, " meaning well-roasted dog meat can be very delicious!!! (didn't finish the adage)

If I should give every one of you trying to crucify those of us who eat dog meat a well-roasted one, I bet u'll beg me for more. Nonsense angry
Re: The Growing Popularity Of Dog Meat by audio: 1:40pm On Apr 20, 2009
For the Record, I think that eating dog meat is disgusting. I think of eating a dog, the same way i think of eating a person. My personal preference. I'm not a crusader. If you like to play with a dog and pet it and then subsequently eat it, please be my guest. Me personally, i prefer not to play with my food.
Re: The Growing Popularity Of Dog Meat by Abagworo(m): 1:52pm On Apr 20, 2009
Growing up i always heard that yoruba,calabar and plateau people ate dogs and thought them less civilised because it was unheard of
then in my immediate family.however as an adult i've discovered that we even eat monkeys in my hometown and some families there eat dog too.dog eating is common nationwide and should be discussed in CULTURE SECTION as it is african culture with pockets of variation.
Re: The Growing Popularity Of Dog Meat by Abagworo(m): 1:53pm On Apr 20, 2009
Growing up i always heard that yoruba,calabar and plateau people ate dogs and thought them less civilised because it was unheard of
then in my immediate family.however as an adult i've discovered that we even eat monkeys in my hometown and some families there eat dog too.dog eating is common nationwide and should be discussed in CULTURE SECTION as it is african culture with pockets of variation.
Re: The Growing Popularity Of Dog Meat by presido1: 2:06pm On Apr 20, 2009
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: The Growing Popularity Of Dog Meat by asha80(m): 2:09pm On Apr 20, 2009
Chei anu nkita cheesy
Re: The Growing Popularity Of Dog Meat by Kobojunkie: 2:37pm On Apr 20, 2009
Considering I have seen how we treat some of our dogs, Double YUCK! !!!! We had a neighbour whose dog ate human faeces. Imagine that same dog on your plate next. UGH!!!

There are just some things I will never try voluntarily, and dogs are some of them.  sad
Re: The Growing Popularity Of Dog Meat by AKO1(m): 3:11pm On Apr 20, 2009
Calling another person's practice "disgusting" from your cultural (or what have you) standpoint beats my imagination.

There are people who could see you as disgusting if you eat suya but not dog meat. And they will be absolutely correct. So what is disgusting now? angry
Re: The Growing Popularity Of Dog Meat by Kobojunkie: 3:35pm On Apr 20, 2009
Since when did Dog meat become CULTURE in Nigeria? I believe this diet was born out of hunger.
Re: The Growing Popularity Of Dog Meat by AKO1(m): 3:43pm On Apr 20, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Since when did Dog meat become CULTURE in Nigeria? I believe this diet was born out of hunger.

Eating termites (esunsun in yoruba) is also borne out of hunger to the best of my knowledge. I just don't see why eating dog is more barbaric than eating goat.
Re: The Growing Popularity Of Dog Meat by asha80(m): 3:44pm On Apr 20, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Go to calabar and ask your question again?Remeber there are different people and cultures in nigeria.
Re: The Growing Popularity Of Dog Meat by jona2: 3:48pm On Apr 20, 2009
The people of ondo town(ondo state} and igbo people enjoy eatting dog as a meat. wink
Re: The Growing Popularity Of Dog Meat by Kobojunkie: 3:50pm On Apr 20, 2009
asha 80:

Go to calabar and ask your question again?Remeber there are different people and cultures in nigeria.

Since when has the calabar been eating dog meat? There is a difference between that which is considered a part of ones CULTURE and that which a group adopts as a result of circumstances.
Re: The Growing Popularity Of Dog Meat by platinumnk(f): 3:54pm On Apr 20, 2009
audio:

For the Record, I think that eating dog meat is disgusting. I think of eating a dog, the same way i think of eating a person. My personal preference. I'm not a crusader. If you like to play with a dog and pet it and then subsequently eat it, please be my guest. Me personally, i prefer not to play with my food.

I agree, my bf in PH keeps telling me that he is going to make me eat it. The thought repluses me. I am trying to buy a puppy and he keeps telling me hes going to eat it, and I tell him we better stay in nigeria because if you come to the States with that, you'll be locked up quickly and even someone might even try to kill you.

Dogs are refered as family members here. Check our movies, from Lassie, to All Dogs go to Heaven, dogs are respected and loved. I also love cats also, I cant imagine dogs or cats to be used as meat. In imo state, last year, I was riding around and I saw ppl by the roadside and they had a dog tied up like a goat! I dont eat goat either, but my head just bled for that poor dog. I dared not take a picture or even tell any of my coworkers nor friends that Nigerians eat Dog Meat, it wouldnt fare well with me oh~
Re: The Growing Popularity Of Dog Meat by asha80(m): 3:56pm On Apr 20, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Since when has the calabar been eating dog meat? There is a difference between that which is considered a part of ones CULTURE and that which a group adopts
as a result of circumstances.

I wonder what circumstances you are talking about.Ever since i was small my uncle that lives in calabar had always brought cooked or smoked dog meat for us to eat.It is seen as some sort of delicacy there.I am not sure hunger had anything to do with it if that is what u are insinuating.
Re: The Growing Popularity Of Dog Meat by platinumnk(f): 3:57pm On Apr 20, 2009
*jona:

The people of ondo town(ondo state} and igbo people enjoy eatting dog as a meat. wink

watch your mouth! Im igbo and none of my entire family eats dog meat.
Re: The Growing Popularity Of Dog Meat by Tylenol: 4:03pm On Apr 20, 2009
Sky Blue, I agree with all you've said.

Personally, I don't eat dogs and would probably only eat it on the verge of death by starvation. This is not to say I shun the idea of people eating dogs. As long as they're not forcing it down my throat, I'm fine.

To those who think it's wrong on the basis that dogs are special animals (man's best friend, intelligent etc), some vegetarians/vegans think ALL animals are special and look upon any type of meat eater with disgust. I'm sure you'll take objection to being looked upon with disgust just because you eat chicken peppersoup!

Live and let live, I say. To each his own.
Re: The Growing Popularity Of Dog Meat by SkyBlue1: 4:07pm On Apr 20, 2009
Abeg. You could pretty much argue the whole "people eat it out of hunger" for pretty much any food. LOL. I don't see how that hunger arguement can apply to dog and not goat or lamb. From what I know, it is seen by some as a delicasy as opposed to eating out of desperation. It is an animal which we have been blessed with as meat, so what is the whole, "it must be desperation and hunger" arguement if it is meat that is local to an area? LOL. So what about snail then? Is that also out of hunger and desperation? A lot of people especially in western cultures will find the idea repulsive and quite disgusting, I mean imagine all the slime (yet quite tasty : ) ). No chop am if you no wan chop am
Re: The Growing Popularity Of Dog Meat by mustafar1: 4:16pm On Apr 20, 2009
Absolute nonsense! if you knock those who eat dog meat, then we might as well knock those that eat whales, sharks, turtles, aligators, i could continue listing till the end of time. and to those animal rights activists, Vegans(with all the variations there are) WHATEVER HAPPENED TO PLANTS RIGHTS?
Re: The Growing Popularity Of Dog Meat by platinumnk(f): 4:24pm On Apr 20, 2009
must_a_far:

Absolute nonsense! if you knock those who eat dog meat, then we might as well knock those that eat whales, sharks, turtles, aligators, i could continue listing till the end of time. and to those animal rights activists, Vegans(with all the variations there are) WHATEVER HAPPENED TO PLANTS RIGHTS?

OMG!!!! ROTFLMAO!!!!! Im dying of laughter!! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: The Growing Popularity Of Dog Meat by tpia: 4:53pm On Apr 20, 2009
Kobojunkie:

A_K_O:

Eating termites (esunsun in yoruba) is also borne out of hunger to the best of my knowledge. I just don't see why eating dog is more barbaric than eating goat.

eating dog meat or termites isnt as a result of hunger.

Its the culture in many places and its when people are able to afford or get exposed to other sources of protein that they make a conscious decision about whether or not they'll continue eating dog meat. In most instances, most families ignorant of the practice, are that way because of a conscious decision by their forefathers, not to expose them to such kinds of meat. That's all there is to it. Generations then grow up unaware of certain practices which used to be the norm.

I dont think anyone is eating dogs because of hunger. They eat for the taste which they're accustomed to.
Re: The Growing Popularity Of Dog Meat by Nobody: 4:56pm On Apr 20, 2009
must_a_far:

grin grin grin grin grin
Re: The Growing Popularity Of Dog Meat by Epi: 5:30pm On Apr 20, 2009
Who want eat dog meat eat dog meat but I just pray and hope they don't serve dog meat in Abuja hotels/restaurants because this is beyond ridiculous.

much love
Re: The Growing Popularity Of Dog Meat by tpia: 5:55pm On Apr 20, 2009
Re: The Growing Popularity Of Dog Meat by Epi: 6:03pm On Apr 20, 2009
Thanks you for clearing the "air". Your response is very pleasing to my senses

Enjoy the rest of your day

much love

tpia:

I dont think a reputable hotel or restaurant will serve dog meat just like that, since they value their reputation.

You're more likely to get covert dog meat at a roadside eatery in some parts of the country, not everywhere. And most visitors know better than to eat at roadside stalls anyway.

I'm not saying you should be paranoid about eating in Nigeria. Nicely asking what kind of meat you're being served should clear the air most times. And also knowing which parts of the country eat it routinely.

During the Ogun festival, dog meat is commonly served and eaten by the worshippers and their well wishers. So if, for example, you're in that region during an Ogun festival, you're more likely to see dog meat.

However, it depends on where you are in Nigeria. There are areas where dog meat isnt eaten at all and other areas where its sought after.
Re: The Growing Popularity Of Dog Meat by roodest: 7:36pm On Apr 20, 2009
SKY BLUE!!!
NA U MAKE SENSE PASS FOR ALL THESE YARNS,
on point!

bloody hypocritical goons we are. always thinking like zombies! (ha! zombie don't think)
irritating hypocrite!
Re: The Growing Popularity Of Dog Meat by roodest: 7:38pm On Apr 20, 2009
ok, i may have been too harsh.
but my point is: one man's pet is another man's meat.

repsect that and dont justs bash nobody cos u think A or B oughta be whatever it is u're used to.

Never judge a man 'till u walk a mile in his shoes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

I Need Tips For Making Guinea Corn With Millet. / 15 Pictures You’ll Recognize If You’ve Ever Stepped Into A Nigerian Kitchen / Calling On All NKWOBI Lovers...recipe With Pic

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.