Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,192,491 members, 7,947,964 topics. Date: Friday, 13 September 2024 at 11:31 AM

N1.9 Bn Alleged Subsidy Fraud: Suspect Accuses EFCC Of ‘ambush’ - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / N1.9 Bn Alleged Subsidy Fraud: Suspect Accuses EFCC Of ‘ambush’ (648 Views)

Ike Ekweremadu Visits Magu, Assures EFCC Of Senate Support(photos) / $15m Scandal: Patience Jonathan Accuses EFCC Of Hiring Mercenaries / Businessman Accuses EFCC Lagos Of Conspiring To Obtain N2 Million From Him (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

N1.9 Bn Alleged Subsidy Fraud: Suspect Accuses EFCC Of ‘ambush’ by byteHead(m): 8:40pm On Oct 06, 2015
A suspect in the ongoing trial of some oil marketers accused of fuel subsidy‎ fraud, Tuesday, accused the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission of introducing extraneous documents into the matter.
Walter Wagbatsoma,‎ facing a N1.9 billion oil subsidy fraud for the purported importation of 39.2 million litres of petrol, said that the EFCC, the prosecution, tendered a document it obtained during the trial.
“The prosecution is springing surprises,” Mr. Wagbatsoma said through his lawyer, Edoka Onyeke.
“Normally, we should be availed with any document they intend to use in this matter. My client has been ambushed.”
The defendant was objecting to documents and drafts presented by the prosecution which were allegedly used to perpetrate the N1.9 billion fraud.
Mr. Wagbatsoma is facing trial alongside‎ Adaoha Ugo-Ngadi, Fakuade Ebenezer, and Ontario Oil and Gas Nigeria Limited before Justice Lateefa Okunnu of a Lagos State High Court, Ikeja.
The defendants were re-arraigned in February, 2013, on a nine count of forgery, conspiracy, and obtaining by false pretences.
On Tuesday, Rotimi Jacobs, the EFCC counsel, pointed out that the first defendant, Mr. Wagbatsoma, participated in the activities that led to the alleged fraud.
“The first defendant said he never participated in the operation of this company (Ontario Oil and Gas Nigeria Limited) in the alleged matter,” Mr. Jacobs, a Senior Advocate of Nigeria, said.
“He said he is only a nominal chairman. What we are trying to point out here is his involvement in the proceedings of the company which he had already testified to the court that he was involved in the transactions that led to the alleged fraud.”
The trial judge‎ overruled the first defendant’s objection, noting that he had specifically requested that the documents be shown to him.
“This, however, means that the issue of surprise does not take place,” said Mrs. Okunnu.
“Saying that the defendant has been ambushed does not hold any water.”
Mr. Wagbatsoma told the court that Summerset, a company listed to had transacted business with the defendants in the alleged subsidy fraud, is one among 27 companies he has interest.
Mr. Jacobs: “You told the court that you used your influence to procure an oil permit for Ontario Oil and Gas Nigeria Limited (the fourth defendant). What influence is this?”
Mr. Wagbatsoma: “I would not want to say connection. I pursued the permit by making contacts with relevant offices. My role was to make initial contact to get the permit.”
Mr. Wagbatsoma said that although he studied Accounting at the University of Lagos, he is neither a Chartered nor a practising Accountant.
“But I have worked in the banking industry. I worked with Zenith Bank and Trade Bank. I worked with Trade Bank and left as a consultant in 2001. I helped them set up their Energy Group subsidiary.”
On Mr. Wagbatsoma’s claims that his company had a tank farm “in 2008 or 2009″ in Oghara, Delta State, prior to collecting an importation quota; the prosecution argued that the defendants did not have one as at 2011.
“I put it to you that Ontario Oil and Gas Nigeria Limited never had any tank farm, even the one mentioned in Oghara, Delta State, until 2010,” said Mr. Jacobs.
‎The trial continues on Wednesday

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/more-news/191111-n1-9-bn-alleged-subsidy-fraud-suspect-accuses-efcc-of-ambush.html

Re: N1.9 Bn Alleged Subsidy Fraud: Suspect Accuses EFCC Of ‘ambush’ by Magician1503(m): 8:46pm On Oct 06, 2015
Lolz

No be only ambush

1 Like

Re: N1.9 Bn Alleged Subsidy Fraud: Suspect Accuses EFCC Of ‘ambush’ by ademega(m): 9:16pm On Oct 06, 2015
the right word is shocked
Re: N1.9 Bn Alleged Subsidy Fraud: Suspect Accuses EFCC Of ‘ambush’ by Nobody: 9:25pm On Oct 06, 2015
Great good job.....
Re: N1.9 Bn Alleged Subsidy Fraud: Suspect Accuses EFCC Of ‘ambush’ by yanabasee(m): 9:29pm On Oct 06, 2015
Even EFCC which is believed to be an intelligence unit is now using faults documents to prosecute individuals...

Nigeria is becoming a messed country... Walai

(1) (Reply)

Ministerial Nominees: Senate Screens Audu Ogbe, Lai Mohammed, 8 Others Today / REFERENDUM: Any Person From The Clans Put Into Biafra That Opposes Or Supports / I Saw T.A. Orji Raising His Hands Up. He Should Be Given A Chance Tomorow Pls.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.