Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,200,527 members, 7,975,103 topics. Date: Monday, 14 October 2024 at 04:48 PM

SAN: Buhari Can Appoint Himself A Minister Except Justice Minister - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / SAN: Buhari Can Appoint Himself A Minister Except Justice Minister (865 Views)

Why We Didn't Release Dasuki Despite ECOWAS Ruling - Justice Minister / James Ibori To Justice Minister Malami: "Ibori Loot Does Not Exist" / SAN: Buhari Can Appoint Himself A Minister Except Justice Minister (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

SAN: Buhari Can Appoint Himself A Minister Except Justice Minister by emamos: 9:21pm On Oct 07, 2015
As the controversy over the decision of President Muhammadu Buhari to appoint himself minister of petroleum rages, a constitutional lawyer and author, Sabastine Hon (SAN) has said the president has the constitutional power to do so.
Hon said the president's self appointment as minister of petroleum was moral, lawful, constitutional and valid.
According to him, Section 5(a) of the 1999 constitution as amended has provided for the executive functions of the Federation to be performed by the President "directly or through the Vice-President and Ministers of the Government of the Federation or officers in the public service of the Federation."
He argued that, the "or" separating "directly" and "through" in the paragraph means the president is at liberty, subject to other provisions of the constitution, to assign any ministry to himself or to assign it to the vice-president, a minister or any of the other persons named in the paragraph.
This position, he stated “is reinforced by the provisions of sections 130(2) and 148(1) of the constitution.
He states that while section 130(2) has made the President the Chief Executive of the Federation, section 148(1) provides that the president may, in his discretion, assign to the vice-president or any minister of the government any executive functions.http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/san-buhari-can-appoint-himself-a-minister-except-justice-minister/222151/
lalasticlala,seun
Re: SAN: Buhari Can Appoint Himself A Minister Except Justice Minister by benedictnsi(m): 9:24pm On Oct 07, 2015
All of us know that one na.... Na everything be news
Re: SAN: Buhari Can Appoint Himself A Minister Except Justice Minister by Nobody: 9:25pm On Oct 07, 2015
I don't care if he appoints himself as gateman, as long as he brings 'change' undecided
Re: SAN: Buhari Can Appoint Himself A Minister Except Justice Minister by dapsin999(m): 9:28pm On Oct 07, 2015
He'll be better off a defence minister than that petroleum he's going after.
Re: SAN: Buhari Can Appoint Himself A Minister Except Justice Minister by Nobody: 9:56pm On Oct 07, 2015
He shld appoint himself as minister of those guys......
Re: SAN: Buhari Can Appoint Himself A Minister Except Justice Minister by TonyeBarcanista(m): 9:59pm On Oct 07, 2015
This one no be news na. Everybody know this
Re: SAN: Buhari Can Appoint Himself A Minister Except Justice Minister by babyfaceafrica: 10:01pm On Oct 07, 2015
Of course its not illegal...all dose sentors are just making noise...I don't care as long something good comes out of it
Re: SAN: Buhari Can Appoint Himself A Minister Except Justice Minister by omowolewa: 10:09pm On Oct 07, 2015
Yes na! He can choose to do the work himself rather than delegating. So whatz the biggy?
Re: SAN: Buhari Can Appoint Himself A Minister Except Justice Minister by Singingbae(m): 10:11pm On Oct 07, 2015
Minister everywhere!!!!! I think I was waiting for people that will make me to say this every morning 'NIGERIA IS ALREADY BLESSED' but now I say 'NIGERIA WILL BE GREAT ONE DAY'
Re: SAN: Buhari Can Appoint Himself A Minister Except Justice Minister by Bitterleafsoup: 10:13pm On Oct 07, 2015
Good advise from his boy OBJ
See Change grin

1 Like

Re: SAN: Buhari Can Appoint Himself A Minister Except Justice Minister by SLIDEwaxie(m): 10:13pm On Oct 07, 2015
Make me minister of nairaland and I will personally destroy every tribalist, every bigot and every one who does discord.

You knw, I am the beat for this position because of my neutrality.

Thank you.

Seun, be thinking abt it. You have till next Tuesday.
Re: SAN: Buhari Can Appoint Himself A Minister Except Justice Minister by hardywaltz(m): 10:16pm On Oct 07, 2015
U don't need to be a lawyer to know that the President can man any ministry he so wishes.
Re: SAN: Buhari Can Appoint Himself A Minister Except Justice Minister by Okanokan(m): 11:21pm On Oct 07, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:
This one no be news na. Everybody know this
Tonye, this issue is debatable, and as it is, only the supreme court can make pronouncement on it. Pls don't take side or kow-toe to what interest groups are suggesting or pls educate me.
Re: SAN: Buhari Can Appoint Himself A Minister Except Justice Minister by Nobody: 11:44pm On Oct 07, 2015
This is the position of the law:
147. (2) Any appointment to the office of Minister of the Government of the Federation shall, if the nomination of any person to such office is confirmed by the Senate, be made by the President.

The question is not if the president can appoint himself as a minister, the Germaine issue here is will the president avail himself for screening before the Senate and confirmation which is a constitutional obligation for all ministers.
Will Mr president take another Oath of Allegiance and the oath of office as a minister which is also mandatory by the constitution?

149. A Minister of the Government of the Federation shall not enter upon the duties of his office, unless he has declared his assets and liabilities as prescribed in this Constitution and has subsequently taken and subscribed the Oath of Allegiance and the oath of office for the due execution of the duties of his office prescribed in the Seventh Schedule to this Constitution.

The president can delegate responsibilities:
148. (1) The President may, in his discretion, assign to the Vice-President or any Minister of the Government of the Federation responsibility for any business of the Government of the Federation, including the administration of any department of government.

Supreme court's interpretation is highly needed in this issue because the drafters of the constitution never in anyway envisaged that a president will someday appoint himself as a minister while still serving as a President.

1 Like

Re: SAN: Buhari Can Appoint Himself A Minister Except Justice Minister by datola: 1:52am On Oct 08, 2015
Yes! Meanwhile, it's only the position of Attorney General and Minister of Justice that is recognized by the constitution.

(1) (Reply)

UNTH Docs Use Candle Lights, Torch To Perform Surgeries – ARD President / Biafra, Oodua And The Seventh Lesson By Reuben Abati / Join Us, Free Biafra Cyber Armies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.