Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,537 members, 7,888,722 topics. Date: Saturday, 13 July 2024 at 01:46 PM

When The Turkey Overstays On The Eggs - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / When The Turkey Overstays On The Eggs (5379 Views)

Turkey Production In Nigeria / Is Turkey Profitable To Give Me N70k Or More Weekly Find Out Here / Candling Turkey Eggs - videos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

When The Turkey Overstays On The Eggs by rastamouse: 10:53am On Oct 08, 2015
Brooding is one of the most difficult periods in the life of any naturally incubating bird. During the period the bird limits most of its life activities like roaming, eating, mating and sand-bathing. These activities all play vital role in the total development of any bird.

Turkeys have an incubation period of 28 days. At the start of the period, the hen takes time off the eggs about twice daily using 30 mins or more to explore and feed. However from the 7th day upwards, the broodiness become intense and the hen reduces the number of times it takes time off. In the last week of the brooding period, the hen further reduces the amount of time it stay off the eggs. Mostly the hen limits that to just 5 mins or below!

When the eggs finally start hatching on the 28th day, the hen totally abandons any form of leave and permanently stay on the eggs 24 hours. It is a crucial period because the eggs need the right temperature to hatch. The mother's brooding temperature is just what the poults need to emerge. After each egg's hatch, the mother provides the protection from the outside weather which would have rather killed it. Normally the last viable egg should hatch after 3 days from the hatch of the first egg. The body of the hen can survive three days on the egg without a break.

IT CAN TAKE LONGER!

For some reasons however, the hen may stay on the eggs for more days. At the intense brooding start, the hen virtually starves. It stays on the eggs the whole day. That means no water and regular food. It may eat some insects around the nest but the diet will be limited to just that! It is very important to take action if the intense period travels past the third day. Leaving the hen on the eggs after the third day without food and water may end in tragedy.

The ideal situation is to remove all the unhatched eggs and just move the mother and poults from the brooding area. Any attempt to feed the hen while in the intense brooding period will yield the same result because the mother will get the appetite back and abandon any unhatched egg.

https://turkeyview..com/2015/10/overdue-hen.html
Re: When The Turkey Overstays On The Eggs by Roseey0(f): 11:00am On Oct 08, 2015
How then do you ensure all eggs are hatched and that you hen doesn't starve as well?

1 Like

Re: When The Turkey Overstays On The Eggs by rastamouse: 11:12am On Oct 08, 2015
Roseey0:
How then do you ensure all eggs are hatched and that you hen doesn't starve as well?

Hi Rose grin

How did the separation of the toms go?

Well any egg that is viable will hatch during the 3 days intense brooding period. If the egg fails, it is possible that it is not viable. However if the egg is viable then you may balance the risk of starving the hen and getting the egg hatched. Do you know how to assist-hatch an egg?

1 Like

Re: When The Turkey Overstays On The Eggs by kunlesufyan(m): 4:03pm On Oct 08, 2015
Good afternoon, i have been trying to identify the difference between a male and female poult..can you help with any features I can look out for when I go to buy?
Re: When The Turkey Overstays On The Eggs by rastamouse: 4:42pm On Oct 08, 2015
kunlesufyan:
Good afternoon, i have been trying to identify the difference between a male and female poult..can you help with any features I can look out for when I go to buy?

A friend showed me a trick some time back. Will do a video and upload it later. When you hold up the poult, the female's legs will straighten up and that of the male will look downwards. I will do a video and post it
Re: When The Turkey Overstays On The Eggs by kunlesufyan(m): 7:26am On Oct 09, 2015
rastamouse:

A friend showed me a trick some time back. Will do a video and upload it later. When you hold up the poult, the female's legs will straighten up and that of the male will look downwards. I will do a video and post it
Alryt ,I'll be expecting
Re: When The Turkey Overstays On The Eggs by rastamouse: 3:23pm On Oct 09, 2015
kunlesufyan:

Alryt ,I'll be expecting

Sure
Re: When The Turkey Overstays On The Eggs by GorillaApp(m): 5:42pm On Mar 29, 2021
rastamouse:

Hi Rose grin

How did the separation of the toms go?

Well any egg that is viable will hatch during the 3 days intense brooding period. If the egg fails, it is possible that it is not viable. However if the egg is viable then you may balance the risk of starving the hen and getting the egg hatched. Do you know how to assist-hatch an egg?

Do turkey naturally hatch their eggs? I have heard two persons complaining that their turkey refused to hatch eggs. Is that very frequent or rare.
What's the solution?
Re: When The Turkey Overstays On The Eggs by Raph82(m): 11:27am On Apr 08, 2021
GorillaApp:

Do turkey naturally hatch their eggs? I have heard two persons complaining that their turkey refused to hatch eggs. Is that very frequent or rare.
What's the solution?
The best bet is to take the eggs to public hatchery for setting. Turkey hens are not too good at incubating eggs, they may eventually waste majority of the eggs. By preventing them to go broody on the eggs stimulates them to lay more eggs per clutch. So collecting the eggs and taking them to hatchery is recommended.
Re: When The Turkey Overstays On The Eggs by GorillaApp(m): 11:43am On Apr 08, 2021
Raph82:
The best bet is to take the eggs to public hatchery for setting. Turkey hens are not too good at incubating eggs, they may eventually waste majority of the eggs. By preventing them to go broody on the eggs stimulates them to lay more eggs per clutch. So collecting the eggs and taking them to hatchery is recommended.
OK. Thsmks bro. The problem now is locating the hatchery. Haven't heard of anyone around my axis
Re: When The Turkey Overstays On The Eggs by Raph82(m): 11:48am On Apr 08, 2021
GorillaApp:

OK. Thsmks bro. The problem now is locating the hatchery. Haven't heard of anyone around my axis
Which city are u in?
Re: When The Turkey Overstays On The Eggs by GorillaApp(m): 5:31pm On Apr 08, 2021
Raph82:
Which city are u in?
Warri, Delta state
Re: When The Turkey Overstays On The Eggs by Raph82(m): 6:38pm On Apr 08, 2021
GorillaApp:

Warri, Delta state
I doubt if there's commercial hatchery over there. But don't be discouraged, to every problem, there's always a solution.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Imported Agricultural Machines / Making Money From Onions Business. / My Sweetpotato/Ugu Vegetable Farm Diary As A Newbie.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.