Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,187,853 members, 7,933,216 topics. Date: Tuesday, 27 August 2024 at 09:25 PM

The Super Eagles Captain Mess- My Opinion. - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / The Super Eagles Captain Mess- My Opinion. (686 Views)

Different Types Of Nigerians Reactions After The Super Eagles Lost - Meme / The Super Eagles Will Receive $24m If They Win The World Cup - Pinnick / Reddit Users React To The Super Eagles World Cup Kits By Nike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Super Eagles Captain Mess- My Opinion. by rapmike(m): 11:18am On Oct 08, 2015
For the past few days, fans and neutrals alike who follow the Super Eagles have been treated to different stories about the Captain band tussle between Coach Sunday Oliseh and Vincent Enyeama. While the true picture of what happened between them may not be truly ascertained at the moment, its a matter of immaturity and self-righteousness that has brought the situation to the current level.

First of all, the facts that we knew that are true.

1. Vincent Enyeama buried his mother recently.
2. He arrived to camp late
3. Sunday Oliseh chose Ahmed Musa as Captain, effectively stripping Enyeama of his position
4. Enyeama reacted angrily and was summarily thrown out of the area due to his reaction

From all this with the knowledge I have, I can say this:

1. Both of them handled it immaturely
2. Enyeama was been self-righteous

Let me analyze it one after the other.
Re: The Super Eagles Captain Mess- My Opinion. by onuwaje(m): 11:19am On Oct 08, 2015
Hmmm
Re: The Super Eagles Captain Mess- My Opinion. by rottennaija(m): 11:29am On Oct 08, 2015
Re: The Super Eagles Captain Mess- My Opinion. by rapmike(m): 11:31am On Oct 08, 2015
1. Let me first start by quote this particular bible scripture (in my own words): 'all things are lawful, all things are allowed but not all things are necessary'. This also refers to the captain band issue. Its true that Oliseh can chose who he wants to be captain and it may be true that Ahmed Musa may be able to carry the team along effectively with other duties of the captain, I beg to ask why Oliseh chose the time and manner in which he did it.

First of all, a more mature way will be to call Enyeama and have a heart-to-heart talk with him, iron issues out and then announce to the team the next day. That automatically makes Enyeama to be at ease and to feel like part of the team, disrupting little or nothing. This is considering the years of service Enyeama had put in, his dedication and the fact that he just lost his mum (which from all indications seem to be close to him). The last thing a coach should do is to rile such a player up by stripping him of the captain band, even if its to Mikel, not to talk of the fact that it was done in such a mean manner to him.

1 Like

Re: The Super Eagles Captain Mess- My Opinion. by rapmike(m): 11:51am On Oct 08, 2015
However, there is also a way of handling the stripping of the captain band which would have been better than how Enyeama handled it. He could have simply waited until the meeting was over in order to talk to Sunday Oliseh as the coach. He could have also talked to his assistants about how he felt. Those are more mature ways to go about it than interrupting the Coach in the middle of the meeting. His actions were plainly disrespectful, no matter what was said by Oliseh.

To those who think that the manner does not matter and are mentioning Thiago Silva and Neymar, let me remind you that the discomfort caused by that friction( which was more than just the captain's band but included Silva's starting spot) caused Brazil a couple of problems in the run-up to the Copa America. Coupled with the immature behavior of Neymar in the competition (which we hope Musa does not display), it made the competition a disaster for Brazil, hereby showing the power of a captain.

Before am quoted wrongly, am not saying that's Oliseh is wrong in removing Enyeama as the captain. I am of the opinion that if such is to be done, it can be done after the two friendlies, where the effects will blow away before the next competitive match and with Enyeama being at least told in private( which is more respectful). This would send positive signals to the team and the country all together.
Re: The Super Eagles Captain Mess- My Opinion. by rapmike(m): 11:57am On Oct 08, 2015
rottennaija:
www.nairaland.com/2650969/oliseh-enyeama-embarrassed-nigeria-chukwu

Read that, you will know more

I have seen it, but then that is from Christian Chukwu perspective. As far as Sunday Oliseh who is the current manager of the team has not explained why he stripped the captain's band off Enyeama, then I won't take up any other account to heart.

2 Likes

Re: The Super Eagles Captain Mess- My Opinion. by rapmike(m): 12:18pm On Oct 08, 2015
2. I understand Enyeama's position, very,very much. But he was over doing it and behaving self-righteous. In as much as I love the Akwa-Ibom shot stopper, he can't tell me that he is completely innocent in this situation.

Judging from the way he excluded himself from Oliseh's team when the coach added him to the squad going to prosecute the Tanzania and Niger Matches, I suspect that he has some misgivings about Oliseh, even though the reasons were obvious. Breaking the reason why he could not come, despite the emotions involved, was not properly done in my opinion because he could have told Oliseh, who would make it public while explaining team member absences. The manner in which he seemingly overlooked the coach and went to social media to explain his reasons shows a lack of respect in the very least and some measure of hatred at most. This may be the reason why Oliseh would pick Musa, who seems to be quite loyal no matter the kind of coach that is coaching him. So Enyeama should not make it like it was all Oliseh's fault.

All in all, Oliseh will have to learn from this; there are better ways to peacefully transit from one captain to the other. Captains are not meant to be whims, therefore it should not be a surprise that an existing captain, especially with the influence of Enyeama and the manner in which it was handled, will challenge him, its left for him to navigate this dangerous turn.

And hope that results favor him.

Cc: honeric01, semid4lyfe

1 Like

Re: The Super Eagles Captain Mess- My Opinion. by rottennaija(m): 12:44pm On Oct 08, 2015
rapmike:

I have seen it, but then that is from Christian Chukwu perspective. As far as Sunday Oliseh who is the current manager of the team has not explained why he stripped the captain's band off Enyeama, then I won't take up any other account to heart.

Read the beginning part of the interview, it will throw more light into it
Re: The Super Eagles Captain Mess- My Opinion. by rapmike(m): 3:34pm On Oct 08, 2015
Now that Enyeama has left the Super Eagles, I begin to wonder how much damage this may cause, especially if we fail to perform against Congo.
Re: The Super Eagles Captain Mess- My Opinion. by OYIBN: 6:23pm On Oct 08, 2015
You should pass comments when you have the facts which you claimed you don't have.
Re: The Super Eagles Captain Mess- My Opinion. by rapmike(m): 5:02pm On Oct 09, 2015
OYIBN:
You should pass comments when you have the facts which you claimed you don't have.

Mr Man, I showed you the facts I have and the ones I was not sure of. I then made my comments on the facts I had. Did you read the post at all?

(1) (Reply)

Sunday Oliseh's Interview And His Own Side Of The Enyeama Resignation Saga / No Chance To Loose. Pick And Smile / Let's Make These Bookies Pay

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.