Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,289 members, 7,881,073 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 11:54 AM

Nigeria Is A Failing State:british All Party Parliamentary Group Report - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Is A Failing State:british All Party Parliamentary Group Report (2957 Views)

Our Presidential Candidate Will Be Voted By All Party Members – PDP / Saraki Hosts A Parliamentary Delegation From Colombia (Photos) / Nigeria - A Failing State? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Is A Failing State:british All Party Parliamentary Group Report by biina: 4:43pm On Apr 24, 2009
There is nothing constructive about laying blame.
Re: Nigeria Is A Failing State:british All Party Parliamentary Group Report by ElRazur: 4:45pm On Apr 24, 2009
biina:

There is nothing constructive about laying blame.

Please point me to where "the blaming" is in that report. smiley
Re: Nigeria Is A Failing State:british All Party Parliamentary Group Report by Kobojunkie: 4:48pm On Apr 24, 2009
tosh_acer:

where are you coming from? You suddenly travelled and became the voice of the masses or what? many have gone, been there, and came back to assist the country, not stay put and become empty barrel critics.
Never mind that there are problems and you agree that all those problems exists to date, all you are concerned about is your issue with people who have travelled and their personal choices not lining up with yours? Is this all what this is about for you? Why not put sentimental, issues you may have, to the side and focus on the MAIN issue here which is the state of the lives of millions, not 2 or 3, but millions of your fellow Nigerians?
Re: Nigeria Is A Failing State:british All Party Parliamentary Group Report by hoeyeadoe: 4:49pm On Apr 24, 2009
George, need I say more about these very things that bother me? you just outlined them the way I could have done, however unprioritized it may seem. The title is the attraction. Personally, I see 9ja as a failed state. I fail to identify any properly functioning instititutions because there's none, I haven't seen such, haven't experienced a complete process of process. Basic infrastructure is another story entirely. Civil service? a joke. My Aunt is 65  and has never bin paid her pension. After several long legs, she is asked to pay N100,000 to get her pension. it's so very easy to get a lot of things wrong in this country. Remember, the dead that were still being paid pension while the living is wallowing in abject poverty or smthg smwhat better than it.

What makes a state failed in my opinion is, not fulfilling its expectations. The constitution should always be looked back at and changed if need be. Our constitution promises a conducive environment for individuals to maximize their potential, it promises absolute security, it promises equality and justice through the effective functioning of public/ private institutions? Where are they? Universities are most dissappointing these days- an institution that should push forward to being sponsored on researches that would make our country a better place. Nigeria is supposed to be a healthy society with loads of potential to be worked out. In my view, it's no weak state but a failed state in all definition of failure with regards the constitution.
Re: Nigeria Is A Failing State:british All Party Parliamentary Group Report by ElRazur: 4:53pm On Apr 24, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Never mind that there are problems and you agree that all those problems exists to date, all you are concerned about is your issue with people who have travelled and their personal choices not lining up with yours? Is this all what this is about for you? Why not put sentimental, issues you may have, to the side and focus on the MAIN issue here which is the state of the lives of millions, not 2 or 3, but millions of your fellow Nigerians?

Clearly some people lack the ability to debate well and usually result to ad homen tactics when they are grasping for points. I really do not see what his post got to do with the debate at hand.

Here is a good quote for the moment. It is true and bang on target.

"When you blame others, you give up your power to change."  - Dr. Robert Anthony

Re: Nigeria Is A Failing State:british All Party Parliamentary Group Report by toshacer: 4:56pm On Apr 24, 2009
@Kobo

I have read almost all our post this month, but sorry to say, there is nothing meaningful in it apart of wiping up sentiments and negative back lashes and so are many more. And like someone says, what is constructive criticism if all is said is to lay blame and say what is obvious? All what you point out as points are obvious to even a primary school kid, but, we are tired of hearing that, what is your solution , this is what is constructive.

The fate of 5 million people does not obviously lie in rantings on NairaLand.

The last place anyone will dream of coming to seek solution to Nigeria's problem will be NairaLand, but the first place to learn about the problems and issues about Nigeria is obviously NairaLand, so many arm chair critics who have even found it vry hard to govern their own household, but for cyberspace, they have become the harbingers of the solution to the problems facing Nigeria.
Re: Nigeria Is A Failing State:british All Party Parliamentary Group Report by Kobojunkie: 5:13pm On Apr 24, 2009
tosh_acer:

@Kobo
I have read almost all our post this month, but sorry to say, there is nothing meaningful in it apart of wiping up sentiments and negative back lashes and so are many more. And like someone says, what is constructive criticism if all is said is to lay blame and say what is obvious? All what you right out as points are obvious to even a rimary school kid, but, we are tired of hearing that, what is your solution , this is what is constructive.
The fate of 5 million people does not obviously lie in rantings on NairaLand.

So what if my message here is to highlight the obvious? So what if my posts are intended to do that? What is that to you? What if I, or anyone else here chooses to come on here to rant focusing on the problem? Why do you have to create yet another divide with all that?

You accuse people of LYING but have yet to post proof of the lies, why do you do that? What good does it do you? What good do your posts attacking mine or anyone else do to help the fate of the 5 million you mention? What good? Don’t you see what you are doing? Is it wrong for individuals not to approach the issue the same way you choose to?

The country is suffering from the tribal divides, why fuel this made up NIN vs NID divide by your continuous attempt to cast blame on NIDs when you willingly admit these problems exist outside of the NIN and NID divide?
Re: Nigeria Is A Failing State:british All Party Parliamentary Group Report by tombola: 5:16pm On Apr 24, 2009
Kobojunkie:

So what if my message here is to highlight the obvious? So what if my posts are intended to do that? What is that to you? What if I, or anyone else here chooses to come on here to rant focusing on the problem? Why do you have to create yet another divide with all that?

You accuse people of LYING but have yet to post proof of the lies, why do you do that? What good does it do you? What good do your posts attacking mine or anyone else do to help the fate of the 5 million you mention? What good? Don’t you see what you are doing? Is it wrong for individuals not to approach the issue the same way you choose to?

The country is suffering from the tribal divides, why fuel this made up NIN vs NID divide by your continuous attempt to cast blame on NIDs when you willingly admit these problems exist outside of the NIN and NID divide?

Meaning? Agressive minority should not force their views and tastes on everyone !
Re: Nigeria Is A Failing State:british All Party Parliamentary Group Report by ElRazur: 5:18pm On Apr 24, 2009
Oh dear god. embarassed
Re: Nigeria Is A Failing State:british All Party Parliamentary Group Report by Kobojunkie: 5:20pm On Apr 24, 2009
? = questions that require answers
Re: Nigeria Is A Failing State:british All Party Parliamentary Group Report by mustafar1: 5:25pm On Apr 24, 2009
Kobo, STOP THIS YOUR QUESTIONS ASKING!
Re: Nigeria Is A Failing State:british All Party Parliamentary Group Report by diasporian: 5:27pm On Apr 24, 2009
boo hah haa

Cynicism has been interpreted to mean contructive criticism on NairaLand, only in Nigeria do people listen to cynics and those who criticise for criticising sake.
Re: Nigeria Is A Failing State:british All Party Parliamentary Group Report by Kobojunkie: 5:32pm On Apr 24, 2009
Only on Nairaland(include Nigeria since the NIN vs NID divide seems to grow wider the more our politicians play that card) do you have people who accuse those who criticize, for criticism’s sake, of being the cause of the problem, with no proof. Sigh!!!
Re: Nigeria Is A Failing State:british All Party Parliamentary Group Report by REALTRUTH1: 5:32pm On Apr 24, 2009
tombola:

Meaning? Agressive minority should not force their views and tastes on everyone !
 Guy you are just a lousy brat,,,Do you need a report to tell you that Nigeria is failed state and not a failing one.Saying Nigeria is failed is like trying to call white black.
Haven't you heard that to whom much is given much is expected? If you judge by this standard would'nt you consider Nigeria as failed state?google through your computer and you would discover that it is a stale news to say Nigeria is a failing state,,rather its actually one.
There is no doubt about the fact,,,I love Nigeria, its my country,but then I have a responsibility to tell the true situation of things in my country!
Re: Nigeria Is A Failing State:british All Party Parliamentary Group Report by yeswecan(m): 5:57pm On Apr 24, 2009
You guys should stop the insults. This is not the romance section, this is Politics and it's strictly for the Matured Mind.

Much as I agree with the post, I don’t even see any reason this. Is this an advice, a case study or just talks? After all the British are the causes of our ethnic problems.
Re: Nigeria Is A Failing State:british All Party Parliamentary Group Report by ElRazur: 5:59pm On Apr 24, 2009
yeswecan:

After all the British are the causes of our ethnic problems.

How many years ago? It would be greatly unfair to lay the entire blame on them, unless off course you are being sarcastic.
Re: Nigeria Is A Failing State:british All Party Parliamentary Group Report by texazzpete(m): 10:47pm On Apr 24, 2009
Isn't it funny how people one minute complain that the MPs are 'stating the obvious' yet still insist that they were 'rubbishing the country'.
If it's obvious, how is it a smear job?

tombola has consistently and deliberately failed to answer the question: what is false in that report?
Re: Nigeria Is A Failing State:british All Party Parliamentary Group Report by 4Play(m): 11:03pm On Apr 24, 2009
The headline is obviously a hyperbole as the content of the report doesn't show that the MPs concluded that Nigeria is a failing state.

The Report repeats boilerplate points that every sane Nigerian is aware of viz; the menace of corruption and the various other leadership challenges Nigeria faces. Only our hyper-sensitivity to foreign criticism will lead us to criticise the report
Re: Nigeria Is A Failing State:british All Party Parliamentary Group Report by yeswecan(m): 11:10pm On Apr 24, 2009
@ElRazur maybe you had a problem reading my text. I didn't lay any blame on them, i said they are the cause of our ethnic problems and that is fact. It is not debatable; the British are the cause of our ethnic problem.
I can expand on that if you want me to.
Re: Nigeria Is A Failing State:british All Party Parliamentary Group Report by ElRazur: 11:16pm On Apr 24, 2009
yeswecan:

@ElRazur maybe you had a problem reading my text. I didn't lay any blame on them, i said they are the cause of our ethnic problems and that is fact. It is not debatable; the British are the cause of our ethnic problem.
I can expand on that if you want me to.

Okay fair point on one aspect. Having said that, is it still relevant to bring them into all of these after OVER 40 years? Surely we've had more than enough time to sort it out?
Re: Nigeria Is A Failing State:british All Party Parliamentary Group Report by sosos(m): 12:24am On Apr 25, 2009
sorry iam just cutting in i read all your comments about the topic, my opinion on this is simple, its a BLACK MAN issue take the whole of Africa as an example except for North Africa (Tunisia, Morocco, Egypt, etc) where we have the Arabs and Southern Africa (South Africa, Namibia, etc) where the whites dominates Economically & Politically, the stories from the East, Central & Western Africa is always patetic living me no other option than to concur with one of Capt Daniel Omale's Article on Leadershipnews paper see link and extract from the Article below. http://www.leadershipnigeria.com/news/153/ARTICLE/7806/2009-03-06.html
Lord Lugard, the former governor-general of Nigeria, in 1926, wrote his unfiltered thought about Nigerians.
From his book, The Dual Mandates, come these excerpts: "In character and temperament, the typical African
of this race-type is a happy, thriftless, excitable person, lacking in self-control, discipline, and foresight.
Naturally courageous, and naturally courteous and polite, full of personal vanity, with little sense of veracity,
fond of music and loving weapons as an oriental loves jewellery. His thoughts are concentrated on the events
and feelings of the moment, and he suffers little from the apprehension for the future or grief for the past. His
mind is far nearer to the animal world than that of the European or Asiatic, and exhibits something of the
animals' placidity and want of desire to rise beyond the state he has reached.
"Through the ages, the African appears to have evolved no organised religious creed, and though some tribes
appear to believe in a deity, the religious sense seldom rises above pantheistic animalism and seems more
often to take the form of a vague dread of the supernatural. He lacks the power of organisation, and is
conspicuously deficient in the management and control alike of men or business. He loves the display of
power, but fails to realize its responsibility - he will work hard with a less incentive than most races. He has
the courage of the fighting animal, an instinct rather than a moral virtue. In brief, the virtues and defects of his
race -type are those of attractive children, whose confidence when it is won is given ungrudgingly as to an
older and wiser superior and without envy. Perhaps, the two traits which have impressed me as those most
characteristic of the African native are his lack of apprehension and his lack of ability to visualize the future." Can you objectively disproof this pls?
Re: Nigeria Is A Failing State:british All Party Parliamentary Group Report by tpiah: 3:15am On Apr 25, 2009
the BAPP better rephrase themselves before they're swarmed by an avalanche of Nigerians fleeing the "failing state".

Small time now dem go complain say immigration don skyrocket.

These are the same people who move out to the suburbs when they cant stand the smell of curry and stew which the victims of the failed states cook everyday.
Re: Nigeria Is A Failing State:british All Party Parliamentary Group Report by georgecso(m): 11:50am On Apr 25, 2009
After several long legs, she is asked to pay N100,000 to get her pension. it's so very easy to get a lot of things wrong in this country. Remember, the dead that were still being paid pension while the living is wallowing in abject poverty or smthg smwhat better than it.

Can u imagine that after a long years of dedicated service to my country at different capacity one must still give bribe to get your pension. What you worked for!!!
Re: Nigeria Is A Failing State:british All Party Parliamentary Group Report by georgecso(m): 11:55am On Apr 25, 2009
After all the British are the causes of our ethnic problems.

100% disagree with you Bro. Our Selfish and Unpatriotic Leaders that ruled this country at various capacities (25-30yrs ago) are the architects of Nigerian current problems period. We are not the only country colonized by British or whatever. Go to Bostwana, South Africa, Egypt, Libya, Malasiya , India etc
Re: Nigeria Is A Failing State:british All Party Parliamentary Group Report by SapeleGuy: 7:20pm On Apr 25, 2009
The CIA have been saying this for some time, so it is no surprise that Britain are now singing the same tune, allbeit a few years later. 

'No shaking, nah our country, nah we go repair am, so mek dem carry their wahala go.'

This term failed/ failing state is now being abused. Nigeria is not a failed state, she may be performing poorly but she is not a failed state. A failed state is one that has collapsed totally. Somalia, Afghanistan spring to mind, those that can't defend their borders etc

If these people are so concerned, they should instruct their companies to leave the country but they haven't. Even in the most failed of states, they will still be there looking for money. Their main concern In Nigeria is that oil production is being disrupted by the 'ongoing discussions' in the Niger Delta.
Re: Nigeria Is A Failing State:british All Party Parliamentary Group Report by vanunu: 11:00am On Apr 27, 2009
These British people are crimimals, In 1966 they aided Gowon's Government , that killed more than a 100,000 Igbo's, in the 1966 ethnic cleansing of people from eastern Nigeria.
They also gave Gowon's govt weapons and technically aid, that he used to kill more than one million others later.
Re: Nigeria Is A Failing State:british All Party Parliamentary Group Report by ElRazur: 11:05am On Apr 27, 2009
vanunu:

These British people are crimimals, In 1966 they aided Gowon's Government , that killed more than a 100,000 Igbo's, in the 1966 ethnic cleansing of people from eastern Nigeria.
They also gave Gowon's govt weapons and technically aid, that he used to kill more than one million others later.

Interesting and very strong allegations you have there. Do you have a proof of these please?
Re: Nigeria Is A Failing State:british All Party Parliamentary Group Report by tombola: 12:37pm On Apr 27, 2009
it is a failing state - stay there, we have heard, stay where you are, let us suffer it alone, we dont need anyone to help us survive, at least we have been surviving it till now, it is people like you who dont have anything to contribute to the countries progress that has made it a "failed" state, so, thank you, we have heard you, British apologists - thank you, by the time wey dem rubbish your black skin, na im you go know say, failing or no failing, home is home.
Re: Nigeria Is A Failing State:british All Party Parliamentary Group Report by ElRazur: 12:40pm On Apr 27, 2009
tombola:

it is a failing state - stay there, we have heard, stay where you are, let us suffer it alone, we dont need anyone to help us survive, at least we have been surviving it till now, it is people like you who dont have anything to contribute to the countries progress that has made it a "failed" state, so, thank you, we have heard you, British apologists - thank you, by the time wey dem rubbish your black skin, na im you go know say, failing or no failing, home is home.

Oh dear God. Let's not start again.
Re: Nigeria Is A Failing State:british All Party Parliamentary Group Report by georgecso(m): 2:29pm On Apr 27, 2009

I respect your opinion bro. Its not easy to think the way you think you know. Honestly, am based in Naija. Myself and ppl of similar opinion will not keep mute and pretend as if all is well in this country. My country is so naturally endowed that today l had to push my car 2 miles to get one garlon (4liters) of petrol @ 750 (No thanks to the refineries that are not working). I called my friend in Niger Republic to confirm if the petrol scarcity has hitted their country, he said " My friend (in french) if l have anything better to discuss l should say it, we have enough petrol if u want" l painfully laughed and l said goodbye.

If the country is good we ll commend the leaders and if they go wrong we ll bash them with words. We are just getting started Bro
Re: Nigeria Is A Failing State:british All Party Parliamentary Group Report by debosky(m): 2:38pm On Apr 27, 2009
4 Play:

The headline is obviously a hyperbole as the content of the report doesn't show that the MPs concluded that Nigeria is a failing state.

The Report repeats boilerplate points that every sane Nigerian is aware of viz; the menace of corruption and the various other leadership challenges Nigeria faces. Only our hyper-sensitivity to foreign criticism will lead us to criticise the report

Sharrap you colonised drone! tongue

Who gives them the right to criticise us? Do Nigerian legislators sit down and say that there are more rats than people in the UK meaning the UK is a ratted state? grin grin Busybody MPs should stop using tax payers money to watch porn and get down to their work jare! grin

We don't need their yeye comments - if the country is a failed state, their tacit acceptance of stolen funds shows their complicity. angry tongue
Re: Nigeria Is A Failing State:british All Party Parliamentary Group Report by Eziachi: 2:59pm On Apr 27, 2009
Ilelobola:

Very funny. So tell me who amongst them doesn't claim it or has refused the pay rise. Yes they are looking at doing away with it but  replacing it with Attendance Allowance. Ha, that's much better, pay me on top of my salary to come into work, nonsense. Well done to them for doing it within the law, they write the law, ensuring they are sorted out.

Keep waiting for the British government to come and help us? U think the UK or any of the other Giant nations want others to stop depending on them? I don't think so. No one is going to help us, until we start helping ourselves.

And where did I reject what they've said in their report? It certainly doesn't tell us anything we don't know or that's not obvious to anyone who tries to study Nigerian politics/economy. My point is, remove the plank in your eye first.

Typical brainless Nigerian, comparing apple with coconut. Unfortunately you don't know the different between claiming something which was legally acceptable but maybe not morally. The MPs are claiming what the law of their land allows them, not stealing it as with your Nigerian rulers.
And their claims are based toward doing their jobs as MPs, like paying their constituent office staff. How many of those that rigged themselves to Abuja has any office in their contituencies? they only return once every four years to rig themselves back to Abuja again.

British MPs are reforming this system now because as the economy is not very good, those they are representing are resenting it and they are listening and doing something to correct it urgently because they value the public/electorates opinion and compare that to your country's electoral reform and tell us how its going and how it's going to end up?

I had always said it times without number that being patriotic doesn't mean being stupid, blind and deaf. Funny enough, their is every chance that you are living in the U.K with a job, good home, better security, uniterrupted light and water because those MPs knew what it means to be leaders of their own people. You should go back to Nigeria and open your big mouth from there and report back in just six months how it's going.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Senate Okays Death For Terrorism! / "corruption Claims In N N P C Imaginary" - Oniwon / Buhari Condemns Pdp's Strategy Of Creating Religious And Ethnic Intolerance

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.