Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,421 members, 7,940,590 topics. Date: Thursday, 05 September 2024 at 08:58 AM

Health: Some Medical Facts You Probably Dont Know - Health (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Health: Some Medical Facts You Probably Dont Know (43894 Views)

A Nairalander Needs Some Medical Advice / Medical Facts Picture Series / Shame On SOME Medical Practitioners (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Health: Some Medical Facts You Probably Dont Know by flokii: 3:14pm On Oct 11, 2015
Explorers:

16. Right-handed people live, on average, nine years longer than left-handed people do.This doesn’t have a genetic basis, but is largely due to the fact that a majority of the machines and tools we use on a daily basis are designed for those who are right handed, making them some what dangerous for lefties to use and resulting in thousands of accidents and deaths each year.

source: http://icantseeyou.typepad.com/my_weblog/2008/02/100-very-cool-f.html

Ope o... I am a right handed person grin
Re: Health: Some Medical Facts You Probably Dont Know by Explorers(m): 3:14pm On Oct 11, 2015
Ebayray:

Lol. Wow!!!! So ma dimples is a beautiful defect.

Thanks for sharing it out, Op.
grin

I can see it 2 grin
Re: Health: Some Medical Facts You Probably Dont Know by Nobody: 3:20pm On Oct 11, 2015
Explorers:

I can see it 2 grin

Lol, thanks again for dat exposure on it o, no wonder ma mum's own don disappear. Shey it's hereditary?? I want ma future children to have it grin cheesy
Re: Health: Some Medical Facts You Probably Dont Know by Chukzyfcb(m): 4:25pm On Oct 11, 2015
Explorers:
7. Women’s hearts beat faster than men’s.The main reason for this is simply that on average women tend to be smaller than men and have less mass to pump blood to. But women’s and men’s hearts can actually act quite differently, especially when experiencing trauma like a heart attack, and many treatments that work for men must be adjusted or changed entirely to work for women. Additionally, over a lifetime, at your normal (resting) heart rate you will have pumped enough blood to fill thirteen oil super tankers. To further expound on this fact, on average, your heart beats 40,000,000 times per year. Doing the math, over your lifetime (both men and women averaged), that results in 2,600,000,000 heartbeats (two billion, six hundred million). This does not even factor in your increased heartbeats due to your love of exercise or fear.

* The human heart creates enough pressure to squirt blood 30 feet. No wonder you can feel your heartbeat so easily. Pumping blood through your body quickly and efficiently takes quite a bit of pressure resulting inthe strong contractions of the heart and the thick walls of the ventricles which push blood to the body.

* Monday is the day of the week when the risk of heart attack is greatest. Yet another reason to loathe Mondays! A ten year studying Scotland found that 20% more people die of heart attacks on Mondays than any other day of the week. Researchers theorize that it’s a combination of too much fun over the weekend with the stress of going back to work that causes the increase.

* The most common blood type in the world is Type O. Blood banks find it valuable as it can be given to those with both type A and B blood. The rarest blood type, A-H or Bombay blood due to the location of its discovery, has been found in less than hundred people since it was discovered.

This Is hmmmm true coz I lost my Dad on a monday, died of heart attack.
Re: Health: Some Medical Facts You Probably Dont Know by Tmaritas76(m): 4:30pm On Oct 11, 2015
Explorers:
21. The Self Appendectomy.

It happened during 6th Soviet Antarctic Expedition at Novolazarevskaya Station. The patient "Leonid Rogozov" was the only physician on station, so the assistant was a mechanic. It was on April 30, 1961. The operation took 2 hours. He positioned himself so that he could see his own body using a mirror when doing the surgery, he made a 12 cm cut through which he found and removed the appendix. After 5 days the doctor felt good, and after 7 days he removed the wires which had been used to sew up the body.

source: http://www.southpolestation.com/trivia/igy1/appendix.html
thank bro
Re: Health: Some Medical Facts You Probably Dont Know by ifyan(m): 5:06pm On Oct 11, 2015
Chukzyfcb:

This Is hmmmm true coz I lost my Dad on a monday, died of heart attack.

Sorry for the loss

1 Like

Re: Health: Some Medical Facts You Probably Dont Know by ColeworldMD(m): 5:58pm On Oct 11, 2015
Explorers:
6. The largest internal organ is the small intestine.

Despite being called the smaller of the two intestines, your small intestine is actually four times as long as the average adult is tall. If it weren’t looped back and forth upon itself it wouldn’t fit inside the abdominal cavity.

Liver - largest internal organ
small intestine - longest internal organ
skin - longest organ in general
skin - largest organ in general

1 Like

Re: Health: Some Medical Facts You Probably Dont Know by frankeinstein(m): 7:43pm On Oct 11, 2015
Op,the largest internal organ is the liver.
Re: Health: Some Medical Facts You Probably Dont Know by Laryne(m): 10:05pm On Oct 11, 2015
Very educative...talk actives don't have much to say cause they can't find a way to snick in insults!
Re: Health: Some Medical Facts You Probably Dont Know by gr8david(m): 10:40pm On Oct 11, 2015
God is gr8

1 Like

Re: Health: Some Medical Facts You Probably Dont Know by aurorae1: 7:33am On Oct 12, 2015
Explorers:
17. Dimples are caused by an abnormally short facial muscle.

The zygomaticus major, a facial muscle, is attached to the skin of your cheeks. Dimples appear when the muscle pulls hard enough on your cheeks to cause visible indentations on your face. This usually occurs when we speak or smile, when the muscle is contracting. For some people, the dimples are always there. This occurs when the muscle is too short.This is a condition that is extremely common among children. As they get older the dimples usually begin to disappear.
My dimples still stands strong o.I refuse to acknowledge this beautiful indentions on both sides of my face is abnormal. grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Lady Shares Photos Of Her Amazing Body Transformation In Less Than A Year / COVID-19: Participants At The Recent AVMCA Might Be Exposed, Should Self-Isolate / Frequent Urinating At Night: Help!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.