Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,153 members, 7,890,890 topics. Date: Monday, 15 July 2024 at 11:13 PM

Nairaland Home Page: What Do You Think About This Prototype? - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Nairaland Home Page: What Do You Think About This Prototype? (4687 Views)

Poll: How would you compare this prototype to the current home page?

Better: 12% (11 votes)
Worse: 62% (54 votes)
Neutral: 24% (21 votes)
This poll has ended

Nairaland's Home Of Quotes. / Nairaland Home And Abroad Conference / New Design For Nairaland Home Page (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nairaland Home Page: What Do You Think About This Prototype? by Seun(m): 11:08am On Apr 27, 2009
Seun Lawal, a web developer I met on Twitter, feels Nairaland's home page is too cluttered and needs to be simplified.  I asked him to send me a sample of what he thinks Nairaland's home page should look like.  Then I asked him for permission to post it here for feedback.

Here it is: (what do you think?)

Re: Nairaland Home Page: What Do You Think About This Prototype? by 2dcore(f): 11:15am On Apr 27, 2009
The simplified 'Nairaland' is what most of us appreciate about nairaland.Ease of access and navigation through the site is what makes nairaland different.
Keeping it simple is the key

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Home Page: What Do You Think About This Prototype? by lincpon: 11:16am On Apr 27, 2009
looks cool but i think theguy can do better but it's really a great idea to change the face of nairaland that way it keeps growing. Never a dull moment wink wink on nairaland.
Re: Nairaland Home Page: What Do You Think About This Prototype? by dvonne(f): 11:19am On Apr 27, 2009
No i donot like the new homepage it looks like all those other wanna be forums
nairaland is familiar , its simple to use and we as humans are all about our habits , nairaland to me is like driving home i can do the journey wih my eyes closed.
somethings can be changed but not the familiar popular threads  and the long side bar Nairalist in short just some colours can be changed something just a little bit more vibrant, with a little brainstorming this can be achieved
Also please import the new nigerian logo,
I LOVE NAIRALAND!
Re: Nairaland Home Page: What Do You Think About This Prototype? by spikedcylinder: 11:21am On Apr 27, 2009
The new home page is cool except for the "nairaland forum" logo. Just looks childish.
However, I think the current home page should remain.
Re: Nairaland Home Page: What Do You Think About This Prototype? by debosky(m): 11:25am On Apr 27, 2009
Don't like it. I don't like the logo and the layout either.

By employing this 'model', you lose the beauty of the updated topics on the homepage that drive traffic to the site and give people ease of navigation to the 'hottest topics'.

The problem is, it gives way too much information and the popular topics come below. Most people (new users) will not scroll down before they lose interest. Organising the sections on the side bar might be useful, but apart from a small box at the top showing how to register and join, keep the topic links as the most visible aspect of the homepage.

I'd suggest having a competition in the Computers/Technology section - they will come up with a fantastic logo for you if you want. That said, I don't think you really need one.
Re: Nairaland Home Page: What Do You Think About This Prototype? by Kaestro(m): 11:27am On Apr 27, 2009
Without comparison I think the homepage could do with a makeover, not like I have any user issues with the current one but if it's been suggested to you then you could possible design a new homepage for NL. I think the template is nice only i don't like the "Naiaralnd Forum" logo and also doesn't feel the "Forum" should be pasted so boldly on it.Ppl recognize a forum when they come across one.
Re: Nairaland Home Page: What Do You Think About This Prototype? by Greycells(m): 11:34am On Apr 27, 2009
Nairalanders are going to resist the new interface, cos we are all used to the old. And also because of the in-born resistant to change.

Me? I have no opinion. If the homepage must change, it will, and it certainly must.

Change is the only constant thing.

Keeping my fingers crossed. smiley
Re: Nairaland Home Page: What Do You Think About This Prototype? by otokx(m): 11:35am On Apr 27, 2009
This prototype is childish.
Re: Nairaland Home Page: What Do You Think About This Prototype? by Recognise: 11:39am On Apr 27, 2009
[size=16pt]@P[/size]

The logo is a bit eurgh!

Nothing personal . . .
Re: Nairaland Home Page: What Do You Think About This Prototype? by MrCrackles(m): 11:42am On Apr 27, 2009
I fuc.ks with the current "appearance" of the homepage!

With a few tweeking here and there on the current homepage, without much changes to the originality, then it will be better!
Re: Nairaland Home Page: What Do You Think About This Prototype? by yicob(m): 11:42am On Apr 27, 2009
the interface looks wack,
Re: Nairaland Home Page: What Do You Think About This Prototype? by dani1luv: 11:44am On Apr 27, 2009
the logo or would i say header. . looks too simple
Re: Nairaland Home Page: What Do You Think About This Prototype? by kaghoe(m): 11:56am On Apr 27, 2009
Before this suggestion, i have always thought that the pages on Nairaland need a bit of colour and interactives. Though i did not have any issues with it.
Secondly, please, if the pages are eventually modified, let the prevailing features still be available and running as in the present. Sometimes, certian features are removed or placed placed in some winding, and difficult- to- reach matrix, while an upgrade or modification is being carried out on pages similar to this.
Nice development though.
Re: Nairaland Home Page: What Do You Think About This Prototype? by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 11:59am On Apr 27, 2009
hmmmn. not that i am a fan of the current nairaland homepage (but why do i keep coming to it even after i've packed my bags and traffic is thin)

the new suggestion (while simple) also looks thin on activity.

I love Google not for the looks but for the [b]purposeful [/b]activity I perceive from simply looking at my search results. It gets me to my destination in good time and shows me other areas i might want to look at next time i am on holiday.

Same thing with facebook and twitter. I guess I never bothered about what nairaland looks like but was satisfied with the functionality.

The new suggestion still needs tweaking beyond simplicity, there is need for purpose (presentation of content and intuitive navigation tools to get u there asap)
Re: Nairaland Home Page: What Do You Think About This Prototype? by thebaron(m): 12:02pm On Apr 27, 2009
the new home page looks cool except for the logo, it looks childish

keep up the good work
Re: Nairaland Home Page: What Do You Think About This Prototype? by Nobody: 12:11pm On Apr 27, 2009
The best thing about the current home page is it's simplicity, the prototype would work for another spin off forum but I don't think it's good enough for Nairaland, just look at google; it's one of the simplest home pages on the web yet it's one of the most widely used. Maybe the current Nairaland home page could be a little less cluttered than it is now, but if you were looking for a shift in design, the new one is a no no for me. sad
Re: Nairaland Home Page: What Do You Think About This Prototype? by SweetT1: 12:13pm On Apr 27, 2009
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Home Page: What Do You Think About This Prototype? by OLADO(m): 12:42pm On Apr 27, 2009
Left for me, the present home page is okay and cool
Re: Nairaland Home Page: What Do You Think About This Prototype? by solosimple(m): 12:51pm On Apr 27, 2009
Left for me, the present home page is okay and cool
YEP!
Re: Nairaland Home Page: What Do You Think About This Prototype? by Epi: 12:54pm On Apr 27, 2009
First thing first, know your crowd - It's not change people don't like, it's being changed.

I think of two words Simplicity and Accessibility. I think, certain things you don't make complicated (even though the one above is not complicated) and a forum is one of them. Currently, Nairaland navigation is easy to use - it's simple, straightforward, easy to access and easy to understand.  

Abeg leave Nairaland alone, plus you are better off making things uncomplicated.

Much love
Re: Nairaland Home Page: What Do You Think About This Prototype? by oluwdashmi(f): 1:01pm On Apr 27, 2009
I have always thought of seeing a new face of nairaland but I do think back that its better as it is cos of its simplicity. If anything has to be added, then maybe a little bit of colour change.
Re: Nairaland Home Page: What Do You Think About This Prototype? by auwal87(m): 1:05pm On Apr 27, 2009
The Logo is somewhat dull.
The idea of changing the homepage is a very good one, but don't put too much graphics, and let the theme of the homepage be the same with the theme of the main board.
Re: Nairaland Home Page: What Do You Think About This Prototype? by auwal87(m): 1:08pm On Apr 27, 2009
The Logo is somewhat dull.
The idea of changing the homepage is a very good one, but don't put too much graphics, and let the theme of the homepage be the same with the theme of the main board.
Re: Nairaland Home Page: What Do You Think About This Prototype? by Nobody: 1:24pm On Apr 27, 2009
REJECTED!!
Re: Nairaland Home Page: What Do You Think About This Prototype? by hanen(f): 1:28pm On Apr 27, 2009
It looks awful. As unexciting as the current homepage is, it looks better, more co-ordinated and more mature than that lame attempt at web design.
Re: Nairaland Home Page: What Do You Think About This Prototype? by anusule(m): 1:41pm On Apr 27, 2009
awful,
keep ur homepage till u get a better one,
Re: Nairaland Home Page: What Do You Think About This Prototype? by anusule(m): 1:45pm On Apr 27, 2009
awful,
keep ur homepage till u get a better one,
Re: Nairaland Home Page: What Do You Think About This Prototype? by Nobody: 1:54pm On Apr 27, 2009
Sweet T:

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Word.

We visitors and posters did not complain about the look of the site, why worry?
The new designer should show you the frequency statistics of the forums he designed, it is then and then alone will you listen to him.
What brings us here is not only the look of the site but the family and homely look of the site not discarding the freedom, flexibility and secularity imposed by your administration. Nairaland is very much OK but I will advise that you do some changes to nairalist, it doesn't look professional and if not that I have been on Nairaland long I would have thought that nairalist is a scam site.
Advice you get when you are at the top is not always good as advice you get when you are beginning. You are the at the top beware of the wolves and breakers.
Re: Nairaland Home Page: What Do You Think About This Prototype? by chamotex(m): 2:02pm On Apr 27, 2009
We no Gree. angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Nairaland Home Page: What Do You Think About This Prototype? by Redman44(m): 2:14pm On Apr 27, 2009
Mr Lawal's Homepage idea for Nairaland is okay. I'm not saying Seun should adopt it but I think Nairaland needs some sort of redesign. Even Google adds new features to their services every now and then. Seun, let us see some changes on the Nairaland Homepage. Cheers.
Re: Nairaland Home Page: What Do You Think About This Prototype? by gozzilla(m): 2:19pm On Apr 27, 2009
alright easy to criticize but hard to construct.

Lets see don't change the homepage seems to be carrying the day, but question all this folks posing loyalty here, if they find a new forum with better interface and say a more revolutionized concept, will they be slow or reluctant to jump ship. So its for you seun to do your home work. Where do you think the competition will be coming in from.
Secondly as touching the new page nice idea. But you see most nairalanders log in using their phones, so how will this new page with the site bar help. Secondly, will the colour and tweak not mean a more heavier page.
Thirdly as rightly observed, the logo is simply annoying looks like primary sch fine-art.

Finally its your page, and will always be. so make the changes and keep abreast, don't make the changes and satisfy the "loyal" nairalanders

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Prometric Pearson VUE IT Certification Testing Centres In Nigeria / Translate "them Born You Well?" In English. / Badagry: The Origin Of The Name

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.