Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,188,026 members, 7,933,452 topics. Date: Wednesday, 28 August 2024 at 07:23 AM

Home Learning Secret - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Home Learning Secret (433 Views)

TODAY QUOTES: Learning From History / Learning About Yourself Exercise / Lessons From The 'world's Ugliest Woman': 'stop Staring And Start Learning' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Home Learning Secret by marenx: 11:51am On Oct 17, 2015
How do you learn at home, and is it a fun? To improve your self to live better, it is said, right off the bat, nothing good comes easy, you have to sacrifice your time or at least restrict yourself to doing certain things which are the secrets. And, shortly after, I improve a lot.

Reading is most likely the actual key and this is the first thing I consider as learning advice. As I go through both electronic and hard books at home, I follow two types of reading: reading for studies and reading for leisure. For studies, I focus on my course (career), to make myself ready to answer any question or assignment that may come at any time, without putting myself in a spin. In this studies, I lay emphasis on reading text and history books pertaining my course.

Memorizing is learning method I can't do without. It is also a big fun. If I memorize everyday a name of each of the current African presidents, in less than 2 months I can call the name of each African president offhand as if I live in each African country. If I do this with Igbo or Yoruba, then I can speak it in a few months. Like reading, there are two types of memorizing: memorizing for studies and memorizing for leisure. For studies, I focus on my course or career in order to talk intelligently and professionally while for leisure I focus outside my course to talk of other field. Most times, I use media to jot down the names of current key government officials and memorize them so that I can within a few days tell their names offhand.

Also read: Home Practice Secret of Public Speaking https://www.nairaland.com/2669745/home-practice-secret-starting-public

Another thing that helps me more is browsing. Where I live is far from National Library or where I can skim through dailies (newspapers), so instead of spending money on transport, I use it to recharge my cellphone to browse every time I like even at midnight. It is here I gain more reading resources like electronic books. I get clue of many things that I can't afford offline. For instance I wanted to buy a book about how Adolf Hitler killed 6 million Jews during world war II but I couldn't afford it. When I browsed, I got what I wanted. (But know most online facts are not trusted). There is also browsing for studies and browsing for leisure.

Another learning secret I code is thinking, although I often forgot it behind. To understand thinking as a learning secret, believe there are two types of thinking: normal and extraordinary thinking. Normal thinking is the one you do to remember something or facts while extra ordinary thinking is constructive thinking or the one you do to create something or ideas. For extraordinary thinking which is the most important one and usually like a dream or vision, you must have an object of thinking.

I usually use this constructive thinking for fun. I picture myself teaching more better, or with my wife and my daughter as tourists in South Africa or California USA. If you are a fiction writer, you can use this thinking to picture what your characters are doing or going through and jot it down. Picture yourself delivering a speech before the world. This thinking is also used for various inventions.

As you make your bed so you shall lie on it.

By Maren John Mafuyai, a literary contributor from Jos

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Adolf Hitler The Perfect Villain / PAULINA (my Sun Gone Down At Mid-day) / Episode Two Of The True Christmas Story (the Lilo Christmas Tale).

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.