Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,172,347 members, 7,884,762 topics. Date: Tuesday, 09 July 2024 at 03:19 PM

I Did Not Resign, I Am Still In The Inec Family - Mrs Adebayo Ayoka - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Did Not Resign, I Am Still In The Inec Family - Mrs Adebayo Ayoka (3050 Views)

I Will Not Resign As PDP Chairman - Modu Sheriff / Ayoka Lawani, PDP Member Defects To APC!! / GEJ To Boko Haram - I Will Not Resign (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Did Not Resign, I Am Still In The Inec Family - Mrs Adebayo Ayoka by proudly9ja(m): 9:17am On Apr 30, 2009
The Resident Electoral Commissioner in charge of Ekiti State, Mrs. Olusola Adebayo, resurfaced at the headquarters of the Independent National Electoral Commission in Abuja on Wednesday, saying that she was still a member of the commission’s family.
Skip to next paragraph
click to expand image
Sam Adeko

Resident Electoral Commissioner in Ekiti State, Mrs. Ayoka Adebayo (second left), surrounded by members of her family, after meeting with the Chairman, Independent National Electoral Commission, Prof. Maurice Iwu, in Abuja, on Wednesday

Adebayo spoke briefly with journalists after she had met with the commission’s Chairman, Prof. Maurice Iwu.

The REC, who had reportedly tendered her resignation letter to President Umaru Yar’Adua and Iwu on Tuesday, refused to say if and when she would return to Ekiti to conclude the announcement of the suspended rerun governorship election results in the state.

The election was held in nine out of 10 Local Government Areas in contention in the state on Saturday.

Adebayo, who arrived at the INEC office at exactly 2.07pm, was accompanied by her children and other relatives.

Some members of the Nigerian Bar Association also laid siege to the INEC office, saying that they had come to observe how she would be treated by the commission.

Our correspondent could not ascertain how many INEC national commissioners were at the meeting, but sources said that Mr. Victor Chukwuani was in attendance.

Dressed in a brown lace material, Adebayo came to the commission in an ash Mercedes Benz with registration number CW 507ABJ.

Before the meeting, which held behind closed doors commenced, Adebayo sat at Iwu’s waiting room till 2.30pm when she was ushered in.

At exactly 2.55pm, a member of staff of INEC from Iwu’s office came to ask one of the sons to join in the discussion with Iwu. The son was later recognised as Wole.

The meeting ended at exactly 3.10pm.

While journalists were waiting anxiously for the woman to emerge from the meeting, Iwu opened his exit door for her with the aim of escaping the prying eyes of journalists.

But as soon as she was spoted by the newsmen, her family members tried to shield her, saying that she did not want to speak to the media.

However, as soon as she descended from the first floor, where Iwu’s office is located, and asked by journalists if her position had changed, she said, “Peace be unto Nigeria; may God bless Nigeria.”

Asked what her position was at the commission, she said she was still a member of INEC.

The following dialogue ensued between her and journalists:

What are you here for madam?

“I am still a member of INEC family.”

In what capacity?

As the Resident Electoral Commissioner in Ekiti State.

When are you returning to Ekiti State to announce the remaining results?

No comment.

What about your resignation? Does it still stand?

No comment.

Was the resignation letter not from you?

No comment.

Are you withdrawing the letter?

No comment.

Though she did not betray any sign of sickness, Adebayo also refused to speak on her purported illness as claimed by Iwu.

She was later driven away by her children and relatives at exactly 3.13pm.

Though the meeting with Iwu was held behind closed doors, a source close to the meeting told our correspondent that Iwu pleaded with her to rescind her decision to resign.

He was said to have asked her to consider the legal implication of her resigning when the election was yet to be concluded.

According to the source, “The chairman actually begged her, asking that she should not allow Nigerians to further drag the name of the commission in the mud as the public seem not to have confidence in the commission.

“He also asked her to consider the legal implication of her leaving mid-way into the election when she is the only one the law recognises as the returning officer for the election.”

Though she was billed to see the Inspector- General of Police, Mr. Mike Okiro, who had said on Tuesday that he would declare her wanted if she refused to show up within 24 hours, it was learnt that Iwu said there was no need again.

The Minister of Information and Communications, Prof. Dora Akunyili, described the reports that Adebayo had re-appeared from her hideout as a cause for celebration.

Akunyili said this while fielding questions from journalists at a news conference after the Federal Executive Council meeting in Abuja.

“It is a cause for celebration in the whole country because (without her reappearance) people would start blaming themselves and there would be suspicions,” she said.

Although she admitted that she only heard that the REC had re-appeared at INEC headquarters in Abuja just as she emerged from the FEC meeting, Akunyili insisted that only Adebayo could furnish the public with the truth concerning the Ekiti rerun election.

She, however, could not confirm whether the Federal Government would eventually accept her resignation.

“The Federal Government did not accept her resignation yesterday (on Tuesday) and I don’t know what would happen today; these things are dynamic,” Akunyili said.

http://punchontheweb.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art200904305363617
Re: I Did Not Resign, I Am Still In The Inec Family - Mrs Adebayo Ayoka by Nobody: 9:27am On Apr 30, 2009
He also asked her to consider the legal implication of her leaving mid-way into the election when she is the only one the law recognises as the returning officer for the election.

Although she admitted that she only heard that the REC had re-appeared at INEC headquarters in Abuja just as she emerged from the FEC meeting, Akunyili insisted that only Adebayo could furnish the public with the truth concerning the Ekiti rerun election.
Re: I Did Not Resign, I Am Still In The Inec Family - Mrs Adebayo Ayoka by Kobojunkie: 9:42am On Apr 30, 2009
lol
Re: I Did Not Resign, I Am Still In The Inec Family - Mrs Adebayo Ayoka by yicob(m): 12:32pm On Apr 30, 2009
Sad! Sad!! This is not the Nigeria of my dream
Re: I Did Not Resign, I Am Still In The Inec Family - Mrs Adebayo Ayoka by DRANOEL(m): 12:39pm On Apr 30, 2009
and the summary of everything is,MONEY DONE ENTER SWISS ACCOUNT
Re: I Did Not Resign, I Am Still In The Inec Family - Mrs Adebayo Ayoka by Moves: 12:55pm On Apr 30, 2009
The Summary of Everything is that we are NONE the wiser; we still don't know what happened over the weekend, Next Episode of this drama eagerly awaited,
If Yardua and Nigerians are sincere about having credible election the recommendations of the Uwais Report should be implemented fully especially the area about INEC chairmanship and Other related positions, but even the none PDP govs are not in support of losing there hold on their state INEC--so it is not just a PDP issue but the whole electoral elite are not being sincere in wanting a free & fair elections except when they have been outrigged
Re: I Did Not Resign, I Am Still In The Inec Family - Mrs Adebayo Ayoka by fyneguy: 2:49pm On Apr 30, 2009
The woman never denied her resignation. She simply gave no comments.

She probably changed her mind on the condition that INEC would give her a freehand and adequate security to round off the electoral process. I wonder why some people were quick to think the woman had compromised her conscience.

If the woman had stood her ground on resignation, I could have called her a coward and did not have the interest of this country at heart.
However, If she decided to finish the task with the aforementioned conditions, then she's principled and the heroine of democracy.
Re: I Did Not Resign, I Am Still In The Inec Family - Mrs Adebayo Ayoka by MrCrackles(m): 2:51pm On Apr 30, 2009
Na wa oo! undecided
Re: I Did Not Resign, I Am Still In The Inec Family - Mrs Adebayo Ayoka by Kobojunkie: 2:52pm On Apr 30, 2009
fyneguy:

The woman never denied her resignation. She simply gave no comments.

She probably changed her mind on the condition that INEC would give her a freehand and adequate security to round off the electoral process. I wonder why some people were quick to think the woman had compromised her conscience.

If the woman had stood her ground on resignation, I could have called her a coward and did not have the interest of this country at heart.
However, If she decided to finish the task with the aforementioned conditions, then she's principled and the heroine of democracy.

Spin!! Spin !!! Spin . . . . yeah, SPIN IT !!!

We continue to spin stories as if to claim we have it all figured out!!!

Yeah, na Juju make am go back. Let me guess, PDP has used JUJU on her ,and she no longer has a will of her own.

In fact, she is likely a SLAVE now and there is no one that can save her, not even her God cause her soul has been put in a tin can and only Yar adua can release it! Nevermind that the same woman is quoted by reporters as saying she is still a member of the INEC family, she definitely never denied her resignation and that is what matters!!!

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2009/apr/30/national-30-04-2009-01.htm

The following conversation took place between Adebayo and the reporters:

Madam, what is happening?
Adebayo: Peace be unto Nigeria, and everyone of us shall be happy in Nigeria , and God bless Nigeria . God bless everyone of us. Thank you.
Did you resign Madam?
Adebayo: (Laughter). No I am still part of INEC. I’m a member of the INEC family.
Was that letter from you?
No answer.
Did you write that resignation letter?
No answer.
Madam that letter did you write it?
Adebayo: I’m still part of INEC family
In what capacity, ma?
Adebayo: As the Resident Electoral Commissioner for Ekiti State.
When will the election be completed?
Adebayo: No comments.
She was shepherded into Mercedes Benz Sport Utility Vehicle (SUV) with registration number CW 507 ABJ.

Do we really learn in Nigeria?
Re: I Did Not Resign, I Am Still In The Inec Family - Mrs Adebayo Ayoka by fyneguy: 2:59pm On Apr 30, 2009
lol

Kobojunkie my love grin kiss wink
Re: I Did Not Resign, I Am Still In The Inec Family - Mrs Adebayo Ayoka by fyneguy: 3:10pm On Apr 30, 2009
My dear Kobojunkie

I'm trying so hard not to refer u to commonsense again cry

The woman was asked if the resignation letter was from her. She said ''No comment''. What do u make of that? If the letter was not from her, do u think she would say ''No comment''?

The most logical thing at the moment is that she was persuaded to stand down her resignation. And if indeed her resignation was borne out of not wanting to compromise her Christian conscience, she must have given conditions for her to finish the task!

Anyway, let's wait for her press conference coming up later in the day.
Re: I Did Not Resign, I Am Still In The Inec Family - Mrs Adebayo Ayoka by JJYOU: 3:15pm On Apr 30, 2009
fyneguy:

My dear Kobojunkie

The woman was asked if the resignation letter was from her. She said ''No comment''. What do u make of that? If the letter was not from her, do u think she would say ''No comment''?

The most logical thing at the moment is that she was persuaded to stand down her resignation. And if indeed her resignation was borne out of not wanting to compromise her Christian conscience, she must have given conditions for her to finish the task!

nigeria and wuru wuru
Re: I Did Not Resign, I Am Still In The Inec Family - Mrs Adebayo Ayoka by fyneguy: 3:22pm On Apr 30, 2009
@JJYOU

and your point exactly sir?
Re: I Did Not Resign, I Am Still In The Inec Family - Mrs Adebayo Ayoka by Kobojunkie: 3:23pm On Apr 30, 2009
fyneguy:

My dear Kobojunkie

Because she said NO COMMENT to the one question means you are free to build whatever layer you want on the story? Please, try COMMON SENSE then come back and tell me how it went for you!! Show me that you understand what common sense means. Is she no longer human?
Re: I Did Not Resign, I Am Still In The Inec Family - Mrs Adebayo Ayoka by Nobody: 5:16pm On Apr 30, 2009
The kind of debate we are having here is why Nigeria will never get anywhere soon

This woman was effectively isolated and cowed . . . . . nobody stood by her in the last few days  . . . . . the so called people who want to call themselves opposition stayed out of it instead of at least coming to this woman's defence. (where was Buhari? Atiku's only comments were how the Ekiti crisis relates to 2011 which what only matters to him.)

And on our part we are her coming up with all sorts of speculations on compromise. Its most annoying that we who make all this noise have never contributed anything to the future of Nigeria.

Nigeria will not be great because u can sit in your corner and spew all sorts of nonsense on your computer.

If this woman succeeds in negotiating re-election in a ward where 15,000 votes where added to ballot papers and the office burnt down to destroy evidence . . . . . then I think she has done her part.

Its up to Ekiti and the Nigerian people to demand better atmosphere during the re-run.

Anybody who thinks she has not done well . . . . should tell us what their mother has done so far in Project Nigeria.
Re: I Did Not Resign, I Am Still In The Inec Family - Mrs Adebayo Ayoka by Becomrrich: 6:15pm On Apr 30, 2009
sorry buhari and atiku are members of the PDP, they just do not have membership card yet. Buhari or atiku you make me laugh, they are part of yar adua team. This too member politics are only interested in the north agenda. And yar adua to them is the north agenda. they are not part of the opposition. Did you not see the way AC reject Atiku. If AC near Atiku, AC is finish.
Re: I Did Not Resign, I Am Still In The Inec Family - Mrs Adebayo Ayoka by bawomolo(m): 7:23pm On Apr 30, 2009
She was shepherded into Mercedes Benz Sport Utility Vehicle (SUV) with registration number CW 507 ABJ.

you go girl
Re: I Did Not Resign, I Am Still In The Inec Family - Mrs Adebayo Ayoka by 4Play(m): 7:25pm On Apr 30, 2009
I have never seen an uglier woman than this INEC woman. Isn't that sufficient reason not to listen to her?
Re: I Did Not Resign, I Am Still In The Inec Family - Mrs Adebayo Ayoka by enigmatic: 8:07pm On Apr 30, 2009
the woman withrew ger resignation letter because of the pressure from various groups that she remains the only person that can announce the result. to me , there is notin bad in that if the woman can come back and save us from spendind another billions to conduct another election , that willstill consume many ekites. i beleive the woman will be just in her pronouncement on the man to be returned as the gov. pls do not criticise her, sha is an heroine to have turned down the pressure from ruling body to announce fake result.
Re: I Did Not Resign, I Am Still In The Inec Family - Mrs Adebayo Ayoka by SkyBlue1: 9:36pm On Apr 30, 2009
mikeansy:

The kind of debate we are having here is why Nigeria will never get anywhere soon

This woman was effectively isolated and cowed . . . . . nobody stood by her in the last few days  . . . . . the so called people who want to call themselves opposition stayed out of it instead of at least coming to this woman's defence. (where was Buhari? Atiku's only comments were how the Ekiti crisis relates to 2011 which what only matters to him.)

And on our part we are her coming up with all sorts of speculations on compromise. Its most annoying that we who make all this noise have never contributed anything to the future of Nigeria.

Nigeria will not be great because u can sit in your corner and spew all sorts of nonsense on your computer.

If this woman succeeds in negotiating re-election in a ward where 15,000 votes where added to ballot papers and the office burnt down to destroy evidence . . . . . then I think she has done her part.

Its up to Ekiti and the Nigerian people to demand better atmosphere during the re-run.

Anybody who thinks she has not done well . . . . should tell us what their mother has done so far in Project Nigeria.

I generally concur (apart from perhaps the last sentence) : )
Re: I Did Not Resign, I Am Still In The Inec Family - Mrs Adebayo Ayoka by Kobojunkie: 12:26am On May 01, 2009
enigmatic:

the woman withrew ger resignation letter because of the pressure from various groups that she remains the only person that can announce the result. to me , there is notin bad in that if the woman can come back and save us from spendind another billions to conduct another election , that willstill consume many ekites. i beleive the woman will be just in her pronouncement on the man to be returned as the gov. pls do not criticise her, sha is an heroine to have turned down the pressure from ruling body to announce fake result.

I agree!! She had every right to step down, only that, as someone already made excellently clear on another thread, she did it the wrong way and at the wrong time. Hence the reason why she was called back and I do not fault her for coming back. In fact, I think it is for the best. I do hope, however, that she does not keep mum about what happened as that is vital information.

She has a right to retire after all this but I hope her conscience causes her to speak up about what happened. I just wan hear the gist !!! lol Make I know whose house I go flame next time I dey naija!! lol
Re: I Did Not Resign, I Am Still In The Inec Family - Mrs Adebayo Ayoka by yicob(m): 12:31am On May 01, 2009
. . . . . and when is she declaring the winner ?
Re: I Did Not Resign, I Am Still In The Inec Family - Mrs Adebayo Ayoka by Kobojunkie: 12:33am On May 01, 2009
If her conscience still dey on, I hope she demands a redo of some sort. With the story of ballots created at the police station, I don't see how she can announce any real results that her conscience(if alive and well) would let her.
Re: I Did Not Resign, I Am Still In The Inec Family - Mrs Adebayo Ayoka by Akolawole(m): 12:58am On May 01, 2009
I just watchd the woman speak on AIT. She was completely MUTE on resignation but did declare that she's still part of INEC family.

I think all electorate are membrs of INEC as well. grin

When is this woman going to speak out?
Re: I Did Not Resign, I Am Still In The Inec Family - Mrs Adebayo Ayoka by Kobojunkie: 1:27am On May 01, 2009
Well, she be Christian and she says she has conscience . . . make we wait and see how long she go take before she tell us ooo

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How To Breed Catfish Fingerlings In Nigeria / Chief Willie Obiano Declared Winner of Anambra Governorship Election / Fear Spreads In Ikeja As Oba Passes On And Tradition Requires Seven Human Heads

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.