Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,631 members, 7,951,615 topics. Date: Tuesday, 17 September 2024 at 07:32 PM

Creation Of Eze Ngigbos Should Be Encouraged In Foreign Lands - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Creation Of Eze Ngigbos Should Be Encouraged In Foreign Lands (542 Views)

Seize Any Money I Own In Foreign Accounts, Akpabio Challenges FG / Picture Of Eze Ndigbo Of Kano With Sanusi. / FG Stops Paying The School Fees Of N’delta Students In Foreign Universities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Creation Of Eze Ngigbos Should Be Encouraged In Foreign Lands by PresidentBuBu: 4:28pm On Oct 18, 2015
Irrespective of whoever we are, we as human beings have a right to culture, expression and association no matter where we find ourselves.
Over the weekend there has been a lot of complaints about election of eze ndigbos in non igbo lands.
Many often hold the misguided opinion that thus should not occur simply because "there cannot be two kings in one land" or "it is an abuse of the culture of the host community".These recent statements can be attributed to the recent flogging of an eze ndigbo in akure orchestrated by the deji. This is a sad event but a very recent occurrence but thre have been ezendigbos in Nigeria for long periods of time so what reason does afenifere suddenly have to get them banned. Even if the man misbehaved one man does not make a community and for the fact that he even had many supporters it means that he did it not for himself but for his people.

There are always two sides to an argument and nobody knows the background issues that may have gone on behind the scenes to have warranted this harassment. There is just so much ethnocentrism in Nigeria today and that is why i feel that even though the civil war didnt separate Nigeria physically, it destroyed any chance of survival of this country.

Lets look at this issue without clouded lenses is there any reason why any justification in why an adult should be brought out on the street and flogged for any reason for that matter especially in a situation that could have been resolved peacefully, i mean look at the reason even the man wore a beaded cap which in itself is not a crown except you decide to view it as such. When he wore it, he did not do it to spite anyone but simply because it was his official regalia. It must have been a confusion on the obas part because no one treats an ezendigbo as a king but he is a representative he holds no staff of authority but he is just a man who has measurable influence over his people and his people only,he serves like a director and that is all. I see no reason why an oba should even care about an eze in the first place because there isnt a significant igbo population in his city and i truly do respect rulers thet recognise them but it would have been better if he was completely ignored than for him to be disgraced as this does nothing but create ethnic tensions and tribal enmity.

IGBOS ARE AN INCREASINGLY MIGRANT TRIBE IN NIGERIA. And the reason is quite simple they are into trade and imports and with the vastly increasing population and whether the indigenes of whatever town they settle in like it or not they cannot be ignored.They would need to have their own representative that would fight for their interest and that is the point of the EZE NDIGBO title. I mean how do you expect a common igbo man to get to the house of a governor or the palace of an oba to air their grievances. The igbos are not even the only ones that do it there are sarkin hausas and fulanis also almost everywhere in nigeria in fact there is an oba for yorubas living in enugu, and there have been many cases where we have even given them many incentives such as land and free education and even sponsored hajj for them in igboland. This title might be of inconvenience to some people but it shouldnt be if you have good interests in mind for the igbo nation. This title has even saved thousands of lives in core northern nigeria during frequent ethnoreligious crises as the ezes act as an enissay to the emirs of such towns.
WE SHOULD NOT ALLOW TRIBALISM KILL OUR SENSE OF REASONING.

WARNING: Many yorubas do not want igbos to interfere in the politics of the southwest especially lagos but if you dont allow hem to have their own representatives they would be tempted to force them on others.
Re: Creation Of Eze Ngigbos Should Be Encouraged In Foreign Lands by Beesluv: 4:29pm On Oct 18, 2015
Okay, they should even be made the president of each country
Re: Creation Of Eze Ngigbos Should Be Encouraged In Foreign Lands by Babalegba(m): 4:40pm On Oct 18, 2015
PresidentBuBu:
Irrespective of whoever we are, we as human beings have a right to culture, expression and association no matter where we find ourselves.
Over the weekend there has been a lot of complaints about election of eze ndigbos in non igbo lands.
Many often hold the misguided opinion that thus should not occur simply because "there cannot be two kings in one land" or "it is an abuse of the culture of the host community".These recent statements can be attributed to the recent flogging of an eze ndigbo in akure orchestrated by the deji. This is a sad event but a very recent occurrence but thre have been ezendigbos in Nigeria for long periods of time so what reason does afenifere suddenly have to get them banned. Even if the man misbehaved one man does not make a community and for the fact that he even had many supporters it means that he did it not for himself but for his people.

There are always two sides to an argument and nobody knows the background issues that may have gone on behind the scenes to have warranted this harassment. There is just so much ethnocentrism in Nigeria today and that is why i feel that even though the civil war didnt separate Nigeria physically, it destroyed any chance of survival of this country.

Lets look at this issue without clouded lenses is there any reason why any justification in why an adult should be brought out on the street and flogged for any reason for that matter especially in a situation that could have been resolved peacefully, i mean look at the reason even the man wore a beaded cap which in itself is not a crown except you decide to view it as such. When he wore it, he did not do it to spite anyone but simply because it was his official regalia. It must have been a confusion on the obas part because no one treats an ezendigbo as a king but he is a representative he holds no staff of authority but he is just a man who has measurable influence over his people and his people only,he serves like a director and that is all. I see no reason why an oba should even care about an eze in the first place because there isnt a significant igbo population in his city and i truly do respect rulers thet recognise them but it would have been better if he was completely ignored than for him to be disgraced as this does nothing but create ethnic tensions and tribal enmity.

IGBOS ARE AN INCREASINGLY MIGRANT TRIBE IN NIGERIA. And the reason is quite simple they are into trade and imports and with the vastly increasing population and whether the indigenes of whatever town they settle in like it or not they cannot be ignored.They would need to have their own representative that would fight for their interest and that is the point of the EZE NDIGBO title. I mean how do you expect a common igbo man to get to the house of a governor or the palace of an oba to air their grievances. The igbos are not even the only ones that do it there are sarkin hausas and fulanis also almost everywhere in nigeria in fact there is an oba for yorubas living in enugu, and there have been many cases where we have even given them many incentives such as land and free education and even sponsored hajj for them in igboland. This title might be of inconvenience to some people but it shouldnt be if you have good interests in mind for the igbo nation. This title has even saved thousands of lives in core northern nigeria during frequent ethnoreligious crises as the ezes act as an enissay to the emirs of such towns.
WE SHOULD NOT ALLOW TRIBALISM KILL OUR SENSE OF REASONING.

WARNING: Many yorubas do not want igbos to interfere in the politics of the southwest especially lagos but if you dont allow hem to have their own representatives they would be tempted to force them on others.
Rubbish
Re: Creation Of Eze Ngigbos Should Be Encouraged In Foreign Lands by kinibigdeal(m): 4:42pm On Oct 18, 2015
This is not Tribalism. How can you have a palace in another person's territory? Can a yoruba have an Oba in enugu or owerri? Can a Yoruba man even buy a land in an igboland. Bro, I have stay in Enugu for 2years and I can tell you that igbo are too tribalistic, yoruba seems to be the only liberal tribe in Nigeria. The purpose of Eze Ndigbo before was not to set up a palace but to be the head of all igbo in a community, someone that can represent the igbo and never a kingship title. The greatest insult is if the Eze ndigbo now think he/she is now equivalent to the Oba's in yoruba land. Mind you, igbo don't believe in respect, so yoruba do. We respect our elders and will do anything to repel anyone going against it. The Eze Ndigbo in Akure overgrow is wing, what a disrespect to the Deji of Akure. A king invited you to is palace, you also wore a crown on your head walking majestically into a domestic Oba's palace. Its a taboo in yorubaland. Assuming its a king in enugu that came visiting, they are equals, no call for alarm but for an ordinary eze ndigbo elected to represent is people wearing a crown like a king to is palace deserve more than what he got. This is not tribalism but common sense. He didn't even prostrate to greet the Oba which is the normal tradition in yoruba land, he stood up like equals while talking to a whole Deji of Akure. I think what happens aftermath serve him right..culturally, igbo don't have respect, its a gene, those that have are those that are born in Yoruba land. That is why we have so many powerful men in anambra state that will never bow to themselves.

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Alleged Fraud: Akpabio’s Petitioner Seeks Larmode's Resignation / What Is Happening To The Front Page? / Arik’s Planes Collide At Lagos Airport, Grounded

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.