Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,752 members, 7,882,585 topics. Date: Sunday, 07 July 2024 at 09:25 AM

Pidgin in Secondary School, Is It Right? - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Pidgin in Secondary School, Is It Right? (5106 Views)

Secondary School Girl Brings Her Entire Family To Beat Up Her Teacher / Mention One Crazy Thing You Did In Secondary School / Hilarious Nicknames Given To Your Teachers When You're In Secondary School... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pidgin in Secondary School, Is It Right? by feela(m): 10:26am On May 07, 2009
colonial mentalityy anyone?
Re: Pidgin in Secondary School, Is It Right? by davidif: 12:02pm On May 08, 2009
In the mid 90's, some black Americans wanted Ebonics (black american english) to be there official language thank goodness, it didn't  happen. Naija una won follow.
Re: Pidgin in Secondary School, Is It Right? by feela(m): 2:05pm On May 08, 2009
In truth i don't see why ebonics cannot be an official language. If it has syntax and rules, game on. We be blowin', mama be back lol.
Re: Pidgin in Secondary School, Is It Right? by BumsBums(f): 2:18pm On May 08, 2009
Hi, just to let know that pigin is not welcome in our high schools ,it does not sound well or proper blowing pilgil either while in class or school premises since is not accerpted as one of the official languages in school you are blessed.http//coolcashjackpot.net/ref=bums_ins
Re: Pidgin in Secondary School, Is It Right? by BOMANY: 4:51pm On May 09, 2009
I dont see any wrong with that. In south africa, the white people made up their own language and called it Afrikano despite it is collection of European languages and imposed it on the real black africans and now it is wide range used no matter the origin or the colour of the speaker.
Re: Pidgin in Secondary School, Is It Right? by seyibrown(f): 5:38pm On May 09, 2009
I don't know of any secondary schools in Nigeria where students are being taught in Pidgin. Definitely not in the southwest.

I can imagine a teacher trying to deliver a chemistry lesson using only pidgin! I am happy for my kids to pick up pidgin in the community, not in school.
Re: Pidgin in Secondary School, Is It Right? by obxddon(m): 6:27pm On May 11, 2009
Hmmm
Well some of una get point in not supporting it and some of una get point in supporting it, But I would like you all to compare American English and British English and tell em what you think about the two
Re: Pidgin in Secondary School, Is It Right? by maxtop(m): 1:51pm On May 12, 2009
If they will learn better that way ,i dont see any reason why it should not be used as a means of instruction,
Re: Pidgin in Secondary School, Is It Right? by Profjade: 1:24pm On May 04, 2017
Not understanding clearly what the other person is saying can be frustrating, sometimes misunderstanding gets the job no where. Work with a Chinese or French engineer and you will understand what am saying. We agree we borrowed English and then the patua crept in amidst our Nigerian languages and we call the patua Nigerian pidgin. Pls pls pls broken English is different from Nigerian pidgin, the former has too much slangs and no structure at all while Nigerian pidgin is a language that can be taught for it is not so easy as we think. Try and give a speech in naija pidgin and you will find out that some of ur lines will be in pure English n slangs u never intended. For example 'very well' is different from 'well well' and from 'wella', the first bn English followed by Nigerian pidgin and then broken English lastly. Other languages of the world also have their pidgin.
I support the use of the NP in schools as it will help the students under faster just the way our native languages drives home the point better. South Africa is a country that uses both English and Afrikaans in teaching. Pls embrace the language make we move forward.

(1) (2) (Reply)

How To Convert UTME To DIRECT ENTRY / More Remarkable Moments in The Wildlife [photos] / Here Are The Worst 10 Courses To Study In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.