Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,183,628 members, 7,921,342 topics. Date: Wednesday, 14 August 2024 at 11:29 PM

Why Have Nigerians Replaced The Word "I'm" With "Am" !!!! - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Why Have Nigerians Replaced The Word "I'm" With "Am" !!!! (503 Views)

What's Your Definition Of The Word "Stingy"? / The Use Of The Word "Like Seriously" / Picture:avoiding The Word "VERY" As It Should Be (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Have Nigerians Replaced The Word "I'm" With "Am" !!!! by valarinz: 2:13pm On Oct 20, 2015
Honestly, I find it so disgusting, everywhere you look now, even amongst the so-called educated ones, the use of the simple word "I'm" has been annoyingly replaced with "Am"

you keep seeing things like:

How are you: Am fine
Am considering venturing into online biz
Am not sure I'll make it
That's the type of phone am using
showbiz is good but am more into politics....

Please, what is so damn hard about typing "i'm" as opposed to"am". More so nowadays when almost every keyboard has a spell checker function
A lot of people who might claim its just for chats short cut purposes have gotten so used to it they even use it in formal contexts. Is illiteracy being taken to a brand new level in our country or is it perhaps classier now to speak English wrongly or better still, are we forming a new brand of English??
Re: Why Have Nigerians Replaced The Word "I'm" With "Am" !!!! by IykeChukz(m): 2:27pm On Oct 20, 2015
It's appear more easier to type...

So what's the error?
Re: Why Have Nigerians Replaced The Word "I'm" With "Am" !!!! by Vikkie14: 2:50pm On Oct 20, 2015
Have you heard about what is called "Nigerian English"?
Re: Why Have Nigerians Replaced The Word "I'm" With "Am" !!!! by valarinz: 3:03pm On Oct 20, 2015
IykeChukz:
It's appear more easier to type...

So what's the error?

if you Dont see the error then ........

if you want to speak English then speak English, and if you want to speak your local dialect then do so, its not all about looking for easier to type shortcuts, but speaking the right thing.

Sometimes, one gets confused as to the actual meaning of a sentence when wrong words are used in it
Re: Why Have Nigerians Replaced The Word "I'm" With "Am" !!!! by darkskingoddess(f): 3:11pm On Oct 20, 2015
I noticed that too, however internet vernacular isn't supposed to be perfect.
Re: Why Have Nigerians Replaced The Word "I'm" With "Am" !!!! by Nobody: 3:31pm On Oct 20, 2015
Well, they are that ignorant.
Especially the ladies.
When we try to inform them that speaking in a strange accent does not imply speaking proper English, they roll their eyes.
Re: Why Have Nigerians Replaced The Word "I'm" With "Am" !!!! by valarinz: 4:04pm On Oct 20, 2015
dabriggs:

Well, they are that ignorant.
Especially the ladies.
When we try to inform them that speaking in a strange accent does not imply speaking proper English, they roll their eyes.

"Especially the ladies"

No be me talk am oo

(1) (Reply)

Hilarious Photo: Tinubu Vs Saraki Vs Pdp / Creating An App! / Get 2k (or Less) Worth Of Airtime On Your MTN Sim For Free

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.