Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,191,189 members, 7,943,285 topics. Date: Sunday, 08 September 2024 at 11:12 AM

Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics - Politics (29) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics (690744 Views)

OPC - Faseun & Adams Unite For Security Of Yoruba Commonwealth / SEUN - Re: Yoruba-commonwealth-politics / Goodluck Jonathan Returns From Commonwealth Assignment (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) ... (384) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by IlekeHD: 3:10am On Oct 25, 2015
(Tiffany Amber.)

Folake Folarin Coker.

Folake Coker is the founder of the world famous brand Tiffany Amber. At an early age Folake was exposed to different cultures. Born in Lagos and schooled all over Europe (Switzerland, Scotland and England), she developed a curiosity for cultures which she later channeled into her love for fashion. She has been globally recognized because of the depths of her colorful creations and it’s the potency of these creations that has made her the only African designer to grace the Mercedes Fashion week in New York two years in a row. It is the reviews from international media agencies like CNN that has stamped the brand as, successfully, a true international brand.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by IlekeHD: 3:13am On Oct 25, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:
IlekeHD take a look at that illustration on the challenges facing the south-west.Number 3 looks mouth-watering grin cheesy

Yes, we know the nuisances: tse-tse flies and leeches.

We know all these problems, but how do we fix them?
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 3:16am On Oct 25, 2015
IlekeHD:

Yes, we know the nuisances: tse-tse flies and leeches.

We know all these problems, but how do we fix them?

Team chocolate gave a perfect idea though not detailed on how the issue can be solved

teamchocolate:
@ aare, yes you are right we rly can't but what we can do is make subtle informal policies that benefit yorubas first......

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 3:19am On Oct 25, 2015
It'll be very difficult though,If those measures happen to have a negative effect on the so-called leeches,the "Yorubas are tribalists" town-criers will come out in their usual gowns cheesy
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by IlekeHD: 3:23am On Oct 25, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:
It'll be very difficult though,If those measures happen to have a negative effect on the so-called leeches,the "Yorubas are tribalists" town-criers will come out in their usual gowns cheesy

Who cares about how they feel? We need regionalism. It's really not difficult.

3 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 3:27am On Oct 25, 2015
IlekeHD:

Who cares about how they feel? We need regionalism. It's really not difficult.

But we have no choice though, as long as its still inside the same country.At the emboldened,huh! if it was that easy, it would have happened.Do you know how long we've been screaming about this?
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by IlekeHD: 3:35am On Oct 25, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:

But we have no choice though, as long as its still inside the same country.At the emboldened,huh! if it was that easy, it would have happened.Do you know how long we've been screaming about this?

1. Stop buying their businesses

2. Stop giving them jobs in Yorubaland

3. Dwindle their interference in your politics

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 3:41am On Oct 25, 2015
IlekeHD:

Hahaha these measures are too obvious and they appear too direct.

-Building shopping malls accross the south-west is a better alternative

-Generally they thrive in lawless environments, they're like mexicans so state police is also a good option

-Like i said in my previous comment,all subjects in south-west schools should be taught in Yoruba language.Anyone who's not comfortable with that can go back to his/her cave

These are the subtle measures i can think of right now

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by MayorofLagos(m): 3:48am On Oct 25, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:

This is what I meant when I said it should be an endowment under DAWN and not corporate sponsored.

In other words, blindfold the constitution by doing things in the corridor of power in which the constitution has no jurisdiction.

If you make it a land endowment under DAWN, it qualifies as indigeneous.

Indigeneity is governed under Customary Law and outside of reach of Constitution.

If you run it as a social or state development plan, then because states collect funding.from Federal, it becomes a corporate funding and therefore opened to scrutiny by the constitution and it might be demanded to reflect federal character.

4 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by IlekeHD: 3:50am On Oct 25, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:

Hahaha these measures are too obvious and they appear too direct.

-Building shopping malls accross the south-west is a better alternative

-Generally they thrive in lawless environments, they're like mexicans so state police is also a good option

-Like i said in my previous comment,all subjects in south-west schools should be taught in Yoruba language.Anyone who's not comfortable with that can go back to his/her cave

These are the subtle measures i can think of right now

Okay they appear too direct and obvious, but why should Yorubaland care? Like you said, anyone whose against it should head back to their cave.

Yorubaland is funny, if our language is the second most taught languages in US/Europe, why aren't we implementing the same criteria in Yorubaland?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by MayorofLagos(m): 3:51am On Oct 25, 2015
IlekeHD:

I love you... kiss

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by IlekeHD: 3:53am On Oct 25, 2015
MayorofLagos:

I love you... kiss
grin
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 3:54am On Oct 25, 2015
MayorofLagos:

This is what I meant when I said it should be an endowment under DAWN and not corporate sponsored.

In other words, blindfold the constitution by doing things in the corridor of power in which the constitution has no jurisdiction.

If you make it a land endowment under DAWN, it qualifies as indigeneous.

Indigeneity is governed under Customary Law and outside of reach of Constitution.

If you run it as a social or state development plan, then because states collect funding.from Federal, it becomes a corporate funding and therefore opened to scrutiny by the constitution and it might be demanded to reflect federal character.

Its easier said than done i tell you but great points nevertheless

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by IlekeHD: 3:56am On Oct 25, 2015
The reason why I don't post SW pictures is because I don't want our leaders to assume that we're content and complacent with what we currently have.

Yorubaland DESERVES to better, BLESSED with the resources to be better, has the POTENTIAL to be better, so why should we celebrate mediocrity?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 3:58am On Oct 25, 2015
IlekeHD:
The reason why I don't post SW pictures is because I don't want our leaders to assume that we're content and complacent with what we currently have.

Yorubaland DESERVES to better, BLESSED with the resources to be better, has the POTENTIAL to be better, so why should we celebrate mediocrity?

This exactly is the reason why i'm not the biggest fan of picture posting,Its very deceitful.I can easily make Aba look like dubai with photoshop

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by IlekeHD: 4:02am On Oct 25, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:

This exactly is the reason why i'm not the biggest fan of picture posting,Its very deceitful.I can easily make Aba look like dubai with photoshop

Exactly. By celebrating with pictures, we're telling them that they're working, and in effect, contributing to their laziness.

3 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by MayorofLagos(m): 4:03am On Oct 25, 2015
IlekeHD:

Okay they appear too direct and obvious, but why should Yorubaland care? Like you said, anyone whose against it should head back to their cave.

Yorubaland is funny, if our language is the second most taught languages in US/Europe, why aren't we implementing the same criteria in Yorubaland?

Gani Adams has repeatedly advocated this idea but we live in an era in which academic knowledge and credentials is king on our land and so if it doesn't come from a white paper written by a professor, doctor or engineer and filled with statistical data and fact based researches, then it does not qualify for adoption into policy. The first question we ask is what University did the person graduate from. Meanwhile Gani Adams had visited Switzerland or somewhere in that region and promoted Yoruba in a convincing manner that their government adopted Yoruba as a school lesson curriculum.

Can you imagine? Lol.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 4:08am On Oct 25, 2015
MayorofLagos:

Gani Adams has repeatedly advocated this idea but we live in an era in which academic knowledge and crefentials is king on our land and so if it doesn't come from a white paper written by a professor, doctor or engineer and filled with statistical data and fact based researches, then it does not qualify for adoption into policy. The first question we ask is what University did the person graduate from. Meanwhile Gani Adams had visited Switzerland or somewhere in that region and promoted Yoruba in a convincing manner that their government adopted Yoruba as a school lesson curriculum.

Can you imagine? Lol.

The idea of adopting Yoruba language as the language to be used in south-west schools is part of the dawn document though, I have the PDF file.I think afenifere renewal group are the brains behind DAWN

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by IlekeHD: 4:10am On Oct 25, 2015
MayorofLagos:

Gani Adams has repeatedly advocated this idea but we live in an era in which academic knowledge and credentials is king on our land and so if it doesn't come from a white paper written by a professor, doctor or engineer and filled with statistical data and fact based researches, then it does not qualify for adoption into policy. The first question we ask is what University did the person graduate from. Meanwhile Gani Adams had visited Switzerland or somewhere in that region and promoted Yoruba in a convincing manner that their government adopted Yoruba as a school lesson curriculum.

Can you imagine? Lol.

Incredible. I think our people are disconnected from each other. Just as the Hausa have BBC Hausa, Igbos Radio Biafra, we may need to implement a similar informative tool.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by MayorofLagos(m): 4:12am On Oct 25, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:

Its easier said than done i tell you but great points nevertheless

The Northerners do it all the time. If they want something unique for their Emirates, they circumvent the constitution.

Why are we scared of outcomes before we have attempted?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 4:17am On Oct 25, 2015
MayorofLagos:

The Northerners do it all the time. If they want something unique for their Emirates, they circumvent the constitution.

Why are we scared of outcomes before we have attempted?

Reminds me of how Sharia law is being used in the North but you know what?

We're not as powerful as the North.We don't wield as much power as they do.The North can get away with whatever but can we Yorubas get away with it?

A good example is the fulani herdsmen issue, I imagine it being the other way round, trust me no single Yoruba herdsman will remain in the North after an incident such as that

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by IlekeHD: 4:21am On Oct 25, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:

Reminds me of how Sharia law is being used in the North but you know what?

We're not as powerful as the North.We don't wield as much power as they do.The North can get away with whatever but can we Yorubas get away with it?

A good example is the fulani herdsmen issue, I imagine it being the other way round, trust me no single Yoruba herdsman will remain in the North after an incident such as that

Is this what you really think? That we don't have that power? We have the education, the wealth, and the human resources.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 4:21am On Oct 25, 2015
IlekeHD:

Is this what you really think? That we don't have that power? We have the education, the wealth, and the human resources.

Political Power! if it was all about all the things you mentioned,then Yorubas and flateenos would have had a firm grip on the country

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by IlekeHD: 4:23am On Oct 25, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:

Political Power!

I think we have that. I'm not a Tinubu fan, but .....

Prior to APC, Yorubas also controlled PDP. I think we're enabling the North to assume they have power.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 4:25am On Oct 25, 2015
IlekeHD:

I think we have that. I'm not a Tinubu fan, but .....

Prior to APC, Yorubas also controlled PDP. I think we're enabling the North to assume they have power.

Does tinubu care about the development of Yorubaland?

Is Tinubu interested in Yoruba independence or autonomy?

Is Tinubu as powerful as the Northerners?

Has he even heard of DAWN Commission? grin cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 4:29am On Oct 25, 2015
There were Odua representatives in the confab and true federalism was part of the issues discussed.How come the confab report hasn't been implemented? we all know why.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by IlekeHD: 4:36am On Oct 25, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:

Does tinubu care about the development of Yorubaland?

Is Tinubu interested in Yoruba independence or autonomy?

Is Tinubu as powerful as the Northerners?

Has he even heard of DAWN Commission? grin cheesy

Does ANY politician care for the success of his/her region?

I'm not saying he cares, but you can't argue that he changed Nigeria's political realm.

One man vs a whole region? c'mon nau. We have many more strategists like Tinubu in Yorubaland. Never doubt it.

If we want, we can. But we need an informative tool to get at least 60% on board.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 4:44am On Oct 25, 2015
WHAT WE MUST DO TOGETHER IN THE SOUTHWEST OF NIGERIA!

1.Protect our heritage

2.Invest in our security

3.Invest in our future

4.Invest in our prosperity

These 4 are crucial

3 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 4:47am On Oct 25, 2015
Regarding culture, we should establish a yearly regional festival for Arts & Culture

Computer softwares exclusively for the Yoruba language and culture should be developed. Osun state's opon imo is laudable

The return of the Yoruba classics e.g. D.O. Fagunwa, J.F. Odunjo, Adebayo Faleti, Jeje, Akinwunmi Ishola - to mention just a few

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Emilokoiyawon: 4:48am On Oct 25, 2015
cool Aareonakakanfo

Kudos to you for putting up this thread. Its much needed as a tool not just to monitor developments in our region but to also share ideas etc.

3 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 4:50am On Oct 25, 2015
Emilokoiyawon:
cool Aareonakakanfo

Kudos to you for putting up this thread. Its a much needed as a tool not just to monitor developments in our region but to also share ideas etc.

Ideas,developments,south-west news,Yoruba success stories are all welcomed.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 4:53am On Oct 25, 2015
There should be an organization set up to empower Yoruba youths for SMEs and those who want to be entrepreneurs. we need to have a firm grip on the southwest economy.its crucial.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) ... (384) (Reply)

Kenyans Are Far Behind Nigerians In Every Aspect – Fani-Kayode / Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. / Enugu, The Pride Of The East.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.