Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,714 members, 7,882,430 topics. Date: Sunday, 07 July 2024 at 04:13 AM

Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics - Politics (89) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics (680114 Views)

OPC - Faseun & Adams Unite For Security Of Yoruba Commonwealth / SEUN - Re: Yoruba-commonwealth-politics / Goodluck Jonathan Returns From Commonwealth Assignment (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (86) (87) (88) (89) (90) (91) (92) ... (384) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Gbawe: 7:23pm On Oct 30, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:

Thank you! If you have more or you discover anyone besides these two,please post it.I'll try picking some beautiful ideas here and sending it to them.Ki olorun je ogbo

@the bold, hmmmmn interesting!

The bold is true. Many politicians use NL. I was actually at the London home of a SW Governor who was browsing NL. I never say I am a member though because I sometimes write unflattering things about some of these guys grin grin grin I reserve the right to 'yab them' (Fela) anonymously cool cool

Many were actually glued to and getting 'updates' from NL during the election period. They know this forum has 'reach' and influence somewhat. something formal could evolve from that influence and reach if we can get Seun interested yet I doubt he would be.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 7:23pm On Oct 30, 2015
Olayinka Herbert Samuel Heelas Badmus Macaulay

Olayinka Herbert Samuel Heelas Badmus Macaulay (14 November 1864 – 7 May 1946) was a Nigerian nationalist, politician, engineer, architect, journalist, and musician and is considered by many Nigerians as the founder of Nigerian nationalism.
Olayinka Macaulay Badmus was born in Lagos on 14 November 1864 to Thomas Babington Macaulay and Abigail Crowther, children of people captured from what is now present day Nigeria, resettled in Sierra Leone by the British West Africa Squadron, and eventual returnees to present day Nigeria.

Thomas Babington Macaulay was one of the sons of Ojo Oriare while Abigail Crowther was the daughter of Bishop Samuel Ajayi Crowther, a descendant of King Abiodun. Thomas Babington Macaulay was the founder of the first secondary school in Nigeria, the CMS Grammar School, Lagos. After going to a Christian missionary school, he took a job as a clerk at the Lagos Department of Public Works.

From 1891 to 1894 he studied civil engineering in Plymouth, England. On his return, he worked for the Crown as a land inspector. He left his position in 1898 due to growing distaste for the British rule over the Lagos Colony and the position of Yorubaland and the Niger Coast Protectorate as British colonies in all but name.

Herbert Macaulay was an unlikely champion of the masses. A grandson of Ajayi Crowther, the first African bishop of the Niger Territory, he was born into a Lagos that was divided politically into groups arranged in a convenient pecking order – the British rulers who lived in the posh Marina district, the Saros and other slave descendants who lived to the west, and the Brazilians who lived behind the whites in the Portuguese Town.

Behind all three lived the real Lagosians, the masses of indigenous Yoruba people, disliked and generally ignored by their privileged neighbours. It was not until Macaulay’s generation that the Saros and Brazilians even began to contemplate making common cause with the masses.

Macaulay was one of the first Nigerian nationalists and for most of his life a strong opponent of British rule in Nigeria. As a reaction to claims by the British that they were governing with "the true interests of the natives at heart", he wrote: "The dimensions of "the true interests of the natives at heart" are algebraically equal to the length, breadth and depth of the whiteman's pocket."

In 1908 he exposed European corruption in the handling of railway finances and in 1919 he argued successfully for the chiefs whose land had been taken by the British in front of the Privy Council in London. As a result, the colonial government was forced to pay compensation to the chiefs. In retaliation for this and other activities of his, Macaulay was jailed twice by the British.

Macaulay became very popular and on 24 June 1923 he founded the Nigerian National Democratic Party (NNDP), the first Nigerian political party. The party won all the seats in the elections of 1923, 1928 and 1933.

In 1931 relations between Macaulay and the British began to improve up to the point that the governor even held conferences with Macaulay. In October 1938 the more radical Nigerian Youth Movement fought and won elections for the Lagos Town Council, ending the dominance of Macaulay and his National Democratic Party.

In 1944 Macaulay co-founded the National Council of Nigeria and the Cameroons (NCNC) together with Nnamdi Azikiwe and became its president. The NCNC was a patriotic organization designed to bring together Nigerians of all stripes to demand independence. In 1946 Macaulay fell ill in Kano and later died in Lagos. The leadership of the NCNC went to Azikiwe, who later became the first president of Nigeria. Macaulay was buried at Ikoyi Cemetery in Lagos on 11 May 1946.
His image adorned the N1 note and today the N1 coin.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 7:27pm On Oct 30, 2015
Gbawe:

The bold is true. Many politicians use NL. I was actually at the London home of a SW Governor who was browsing NL. I never say I am a member though because I sometimes write unflattering things about some of these guys grin grin grin They were all actually getting 'updates' from NL during the election period. They know this forum has 'reach' and influence somewhat. something formal could evolve from that influence and reach if we can get Seun interested yet I doubt he would be.

Oduastates was talking about this some few days ago and i thought he was joking.That's really good.I never knew this website was this popular unfortunately the owner is not putting as much effort to upgrade it as i would like him too.Are they aware of the tribal issues that go on here?

and i hope you're preparing for the Yoruba hour.a fe mo bi yooba yin se da to.I'm looking forward to seeing you
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Ritchiee: 7:36pm On Oct 30, 2015
Gbawe:

Indeed. I used to dislike him passionately as well but I investigated issues and Lagos politics in depth and noted that majority of the negatives touted about Tinubu are lies of those who fear him or an envious of the man and his natural ability to wield influence and command the respect of his peers.

Correct. I was idealistic in the past. Especially after I returned to Lagos after a stint of many years abroad. Tinubu was Governor then and I disliked him passionately and blamed him for the underdevelopment I saw through Lagos. In fact this is one of the reason I took a deep and passionate interest in politics. I had also become a frequent visitor to Nigeria, i.e three to four visits a year, whereas I stayed away for years in the past. All these, i.e my greater interest in politics combined with my frequent business/personal travels to Lagos, gave me a much better insight and greater grasp of issues. i came to discover that Tinubu was sabotaged a lot by those who feared his success and that of Lagos.

I also realised Tinubu, albeit a progressive variant, is merely a product of his environment. You have to be that, to an extent, to thrive in Nigerian politics. If you do not have that 'political steel' in your armoury then you will need those who do, like Tinubu, to introduce you, work to get you elected and do the dirty/leg work for you. Fashola and even Buhari, to an extent, are beneficiaries of Tinubu's ability to thrive and excel in Nigerian politics. All in all, Tinubu is no worse than any other politician in Nigeria but he is virtually better than most because he still believes in and works for the progress of the people. Without breaking sweat, I can list 20 leaders who took a lot and gave nada in return yet almost all the good development and the most innovative projects witnessed in Lagos today are the brainchild of Tinubu. You are totally correct stating that it is members of his own ethnic group who are some of the biggest detractors of Tinubu and many of us know why they hate the man when they, like Bode George for example, have never done anything useful for their State and people.
I so much believe in God and destiny.I think Tinubu was created to be a leader...my own opinion,though.I think a mediator or mediators should come in between these warring people,if not for anything but the betterment of the great Yoruba race.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 7:40pm On Oct 30, 2015
Uncle Gbawe, good evening (at least from this part of the world). I would like tonknow your take on the integration of south western states in terms of economy and political agenda drive. Is this achievable?

Can a united Yoruba group be formed or Afenifere resuscitated with every political party member/politician under it and serving as the common ground for all regardless of party leaning. A place where Yoruba agenda can be drawn up and brought into fruition regardless of what party gets power.

As it stands, Yoruba polticians stand for nothing that will benefit the West. Their party objectives seem to override the interest of their people.

Sir, can we bring the western region back or something close to it. Nigeria and her politics are holding us back and undoing our 1950s and 1960s achievements.

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by totit: 7:53pm On Oct 30, 2015
laudate:

That does it!! angry Am reporting all of you to my late maternal grandmother's sister! This is so unfair! And a lot of these words are not even easy to decode, in the Yoruba-English dictionary! cry cry

grin grin grin

Don't worry, just a plate of ibadan Amala and ewedu and I will lecture you.

Gbam! cheesy
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by delpee(f): 7:58pm On Oct 30, 2015
Watching a recap of Moments with Mo and soooo pleased to see six young and successful Yoruba entrepreneurs including the Jobberman guys and Ola Orekunrin of Flying Doctors. Amazed that she's not just a medical doctor but also a trained helicopter pilot!

There's no limit to what our youths can achieve once they set their minds to it. We only need to encourage them to focus on their talents/gifts/interests. They need to seize opportunities, dwell less on 'free funds' and 'connection'. It's clear that many people start from the scratch.

One thing they all have in common - education. Our public schools need some reengineering and reorientation to make the students succeed better.

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Ritchiee: 8:18pm On Oct 30, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:

Oduastates was talking about this some few days ago and i thought he was joking.That's really good.I never knew this website was this popular unfortunately the owner is not putting as much effort to upgrade it as i would like him too.Are they aware of the tribal issues that go on here?

and i hope you're preparing for the Yoruba hour.a fe mo bi yooba yin se da to.I'm looking forward to seeing you
What specifically would be the topic?I think we should talk about the area boys thing in SW especially Lagos.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 8:23pm On Oct 30, 2015
Ritchiee:
What specifically would be the topic?I think we should talk about the area boys thing in SW especially Lagos.

There isn't a topic per se.Its just a continuation of the same things we've been saying but this time in Yoruba.I don't know whether we should pick a topic because not everyone here knows much about area boys.Remember some Nigerians are in the diaspora.Also if we start picking topics,the time will come when we won't have anything to discuss.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by forgiveness: 8:34pm On Oct 30, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:
@forgiveness Lol i don't want to risk replying you in Yoruba again.I've failed thrice with my account getting banned. cheesy But anyways hopefully if this account doesn't get banned today again, i will mention you for the Yoruba hour

@Orlandoowoh the same thing.I responded to you in Yoruba and got banned cheesy but i agree with you though on those names you mentioned.The reason why we didn't profile them is because we decided to cut it down a little bit and talk more about development.If you have their biographies, you can post them here

Ok! No worries. But i think whenever you get banned, always mail the moderator of the section and the supermods to unban and restore your post. Be polite about it and i'm sure your request will be granted. About having different monikers, na sin oo. If they know, teru ni won fi won ban ni yi o.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Musiwa419: 8:51pm On Oct 30, 2015
Nibo ni gbogbo yin wa ? Eja ka so yoruba
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 8:54pm On Oct 30, 2015
forgiveness:

Ok! No worries. But i think whenever you get banned, always mail the moderator of the section and the supermods to unban and restore your post. Be polite about it and i'm sure your request will be granted. About having different monikers, na sin oo. If they know, teru ni won fi won ban ni yi o.

Lol i sent it to them twice and still they didn't unban me.I don't even think they read the mails
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by totit: 8:55pm On Oct 30, 2015
Gbawe:

Indeed ........ and this can eventually transform into an influential pressure group also to present demands to leaders.

Gbam!!

Exactly my point hence while I suggested " a radio station.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 8:58pm On Oct 30, 2015
[b]Ilekehd,Shymm3x,mayoroflagos,modath,jstbeinhonest,zimoni,superstar1,coolitempa,django1,OkutaNla,
ERODEDEAST,scholes0,funjosh,veraponpo,aigbofa,ritchiee,jstbeinhonest,TyHadebimpe,firefire,emilokoiyawon.
IyaIode,Musiwa419,tunde1200,jaymichael

princemilla,9jacrip,Wizguy69,delpee,wytecat,quimicababes,sanmibukunmi,anulaxad,segend,gbawe,hinohsend,
aresa,okutanla,totit,segend,FFKfuckedBIANCA,SUBWAY101,Mrmbam,Okolochyke,PrincessJaneDoe,forgiveness,
PassingShot,theV0ice,Rilwayne001,teamchocolate,
tonytony208,angiography,ODVanguard,oduavanguard,orlandoowoh,missy89
flyoruboy,razid,abuklaw,marioking,yemaldo,oduastates,
YoruBanger,Arogunmasa,

Ewa so ede abinibi yin ooo,asiko ti to

laudate just sit on the bench,we'll help you out after the hour

Please no code-switching aka Yorubinglish for example: Ata "now" sapa mi lori. If you can't type the language without adding english, You can chill.wakati kan o peju

If someone already asked you a question in english before this hour,You have to respond in Yoruba.If you can't, then you can wait till after the hour.

Lets set the ball rolling
[/b]
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 8:59pm On Oct 30, 2015
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by superstar1(m): 9:02pm On Oct 30, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:

NL is the most influential social forum as at today in Nigeria.

It is most likely the website the highest number of hits per day in Nigeria.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 9:02pm On Oct 30, 2015
Mi n bere lowo Sir gbawe boya awon oloselu wa mo nipa ija ti nbe laarin awon eya nibi sugbon won ti dahun
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 9:04pm On Oct 30, 2015
superstar1:

NL is the most influential social forum as at today in Nigeria.

It is most likely the website the highest number of hits per day in Nigeria.

Mii mo wipe o lokiki toyi oo de bi wipe awon oloselu wa no mo ni pa e.Iyen tumosi wipe o se n se ki won ri gbogbo nkan ta n nko nibi ba yii
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by totit: 9:07pm On Oct 30, 2015
Oya Lori paá pa grin

Ko ko ko lara mi le bi ibon

Mo ki gbogbo wa o, baale le, omidan, ókurin, obirin, omode ile, agba le.. dede re wa ni mo ki'o oo cheesy
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 9:07pm On Oct 30, 2015
Awon kan wo tiredi yii gege bi alejo. eku ise oo grin grin cheesy
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by zimoni(f): 9:09pm On Oct 30, 2015
Aago mesan koja iseju mesan.

Eku ale gbogbo ile.

Mo ki wa ni t'eso t'eso, mo ki wa ni t'ologun t'ologun.

Aku ise oni, asejere la ma se ooooooo.

Oodua a gbe wa.

Mo n pada bo.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 9:10pm On Oct 30, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:

Mii mo wipe o lokiki toyi oo de bi wipe awon oloselu wa no mo ni pa e.Iyen tumosi wipe o se n se ki won ri gbogbo nkan ta n nko nibi ba yii

O lokiki ganni. Fun apere, olubadamonran fun gomina Ekiti lori eto ayelujara je okan lara awon to ma n wa si NL. Mo ri akosile re kan loju ewe facebook ti o dako lati NL.
O sese ki won ma kaa gbogbo nkan ti a n ko wonyi sugbon won ki n da si.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by superstar1(m): 9:11pm On Oct 30, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:

ko si oloselu kankan ti o le ko iyan ilenaira (nairaland) kere. o kere awon egbe egberun odoo ni o n ma wa sibe ni ojojumo.

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin mo try gan ooooooooo
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by totit: 9:12pm On Oct 30, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:

Emi ti mo yi tipe tipe.
Obgbeni kan so fun mi lekan ri wipe igbeni Rauf aregbesola je okan ni nu awon ijoba ta'ni lo forumù yi afe gba ti mo fi ojumi kororo ris'a? shocked

Beeni aregbe sola nbe Lori forumú ye daada

Loti tó ko se ni igbagbo sa ooo cool
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 9:12pm On Oct 30, 2015
O da bi eni wipe ogbeni razidi n bere lowo yin lano wipe ta ni e lero wipe o to lati pe oni oloori awon Yooba.Emi oni paro fun yin.ko si enikankan laarin awon oloselu wa to wumilori
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Gbawe: 9:12pm On Oct 30, 2015
9jacrip:
Uncle Gbawe, good evening (at least from this part of the world). I would like tonknow your take on the integration of south western states in terms of economy and political agenda drive. Is this achievable?

Yes is my unambiguous answer. The DAWN initiative, for example, is a well laid-out guidance template for the political and socio-economic integration of the SW. Once again, things will boil down to political will and leadership sincerity. With all the agitation of secession all over the place, even as I personally don't think Nigeria is breaking up any time soon, I think SW leaders of influence should stop prevaricating and get on with doing more for the region in terms of socio-economic development and integration. With 4 SW States now under banner of the ruling Party, I think progress will be made much quicker than before since political might and FG assistance/goodwill can now match the talk, plans and vision.

Can a united Yoruba group be formed or Afenifere resuscitated with every political party member/politician under it and serving as the common ground for all regardless of party leaning. A place where Yoruba agenda can be drawn up and brought into fruition regardless of what party gets power.

I personally believe that what would be effective today would be an articulate SW Political pressure group that will be well-organised and will go beyond tokenism and lip service to involve serious young Nigerians and give them a voice. It is something all leaders of influence at all level, be it political, cultural or business, be encouraged to join and be actively involved with. This group could expand to even handle fundraising for community development projects. Afenifere and others, to me, seems too much about lecturing others on what a few consider must be done. What is needed is a platform for brainstorming problems and coming up with solutions and even participating to deliver said solutions.

As it stands, Yoruba polticians stand for nothing that will benefit the West. Their party objectives seem to override the interest of their people.

Sir, can we bring the western region back or something close to it. Nigeria and her politics are holding us back and undoing our 1950s and 1960s achievements.

This is indeed the case for many politicians throughout Nigeria because politics, for a long time, attracted self-serving yet ultimately empty and incompetent men and women mainly concerned with lining their pockets. I think things are starting to improve vis-a-vis the calibre of men and women now getting involved in politics. The SW, IMO, will soon start to benefit from the involvement of these new generation of politicians who have a more rounded and robust world view that should help them excel and deliver better than their predecessors. Greater pressure must still come from the people though. This is key. Otherwise we will still grapple with leadership impunity that delivers mediocrity and underdevelopment.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 9:14pm On Oct 30, 2015
superstar1:

ko si oloselu kankan ti o le ko iyan ilenaira (nairaland) kere. o kere awon egbe egberun odoo ni o n ma wa sibe ni ojojumo.

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin mo try gan ooooooooo

grin cheesy cheesy

Mo ri yin ooo,"igbiyanju" lo ye ke fi ropo re
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by totit: 9:14pm On Oct 30, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:
Awon kan wo [b]tiredi yii gege bi alejo. eku ise oo grin grin cheesy[/b]

Kikikikikikikiki grin

Baawa? Kire? lipsrsealed
Tiredi ke

Raara o

"Sétan tabi gbaradi" lan pe oo grin

Yooba yi lekenka oo grin
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 9:15pm On Oct 30, 2015
Haaaa! ogbeni gbawe.aa kin so geesi ni wakati yi ooo
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 9:16pm On Oct 30, 2015
totit:

Kikikikikikikiki grin

Baawa? Kire?
Tiredi ke

Raara o

Sétan" lan pe oo grin

Yooba yi lekenka oo grin

E se gan, ojoojumo na la n keko.ko si eni to mo tan.ede yooba jinle
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 9:19pm On Oct 30, 2015
totit:

Emi ti mo yi tipe tipe.
Obgbeni kan so fun mi lekan ri wipe igbe Rauf aregbesola je okan ni nu awon ijoba ta'ni lo forumù yi afe gba ti mo fi ojumi kororo ris'a? shocked

Beeni aregbe sola nbe Lori forumú ye daada

Loti tó ko se ni igbagbo sa ooo cool

Ki ni oruko wan lori forumu yii boya ka pe wan wa ka de fun won nii imoran nipa ona bi ile osun tile tesiwaju
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by totit: 9:20pm On Oct 30, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:

E se gan, ojoojumo na la n keko.ko si eni to mo tan.ede yooba jinle

Kosi iro'nbe, otitó lesó, koo da otitó panbele

Oya Lori papa jare grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (86) (87) (88) (89) (90) (91) (92) ... (384) (Reply)

Kenyans Are Far Behind Nigerians In Every Aspect – Fani-Kayode / Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. / Enugu, The Pride Of The East.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.