Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,165 members, 7,887,397 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 08:15 AM

Pained Nigerians On Twitter Demand That Schools Owned By Churches Must Be Free - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Pained Nigerians On Twitter Demand That Schools Owned By Churches Must Be Free (23857 Views)

Nigerians On Twitter To Give N525k To Cynthia Chinecherem Who Made 9A1 In WAEC / 7 Of The Most Expensive Private Universities In Nigeria Established By Churches / Chochmah International School's Teachers' Quaters, Owned By Salvation Ministry (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pained Nigerians On Twitter Demand That Schools Owned By Churches Must Be Free by Awoofawo(m): 6:12pm On Oct 24, 2015
lilprinze:
I don't just know why Nigerians like free things in the US nothing is free you pay for every single thing you buy or use. very soon they would say they want private universities owned by churchs to also be free.

In Denmark Education is free up to university level, in fact undergraduate are paid $900
per session to attend school

3 Likes

Re: Pained Nigerians On Twitter Demand That Schools Owned By Churches Must Be Free by Nobody: 6:13pm On Oct 24, 2015
Anyss:

Also think of the things it will take to run a free sch, d requirements. Wot u'll suggest dat will be more feasible is scholarship for less privileged and a subsidized n affordable fee. Dats my take

This is what I think should determine the model on which the school should be run: If it was financed by people's contributions, which is the model charities run on, then I don't think it should be run as a business. School fees should be made as low as possible for regular church members, (not necessarily free) and the school can continue to be partially financed by the church.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Pained Nigerians On Twitter Demand That Schools Owned By Churches Must Be Free by akeensbussy(m): 6:25pm On Oct 24, 2015
Anyss:

Am not against charity sir. Am only saying d idea of free education from church sch is not feasible. Dats all.

For those that supported the church
expensive school fees, I want you to
reason and answer these questions.
1. What motive do a pastor(Man of God)
has for him to have open a school in the
first place? Someone who preach the
Gospel of Christ. Head, president or G.O
of a Church. What Motivated such
person to say "I think I or We must have
a schools.
2. If Jesus Christ, Peter or Paul were
Preacher of the Gospel in today's world.
would they build Schools? If they will,
what do u think will be their motive.
He that has brain, let him think.

2 Likes

Re: Pained Nigerians On Twitter Demand That Schools Owned By Churches Must Be Free by Nobody: 6:25pm On Oct 24, 2015
smuth:

My dear my point is not off topic and yes I am a Christian, I only subscribe to the teachings of Jesus Christ and not of some confused pastors and gullible followers.

You pointed out that tithes and offerings are for Ministers and Priests when asked the difference between Tithe, Offering and Charity ... So if Ministers/Priests are paid for their labour how is that different from a government official or private employee earning salaries. Can they still come out and boastfully say "they are doing God's work"? Because the way I see it the Church members are the employers while the Ministers/Priests are the employee...They are paid to do their job. Period.

So after dedicating their whole life to d service of God and directly to u so called Christian, u feel u r doing dem too much favor by paying tithe? How shuld dey feed n train their children? And cos u pay dem as u call it, dat makes deir work not God's work right? And do u tink dat peanut u give dem monthly(dats if u do) is wortth deir sacrifice? And from ur argument earlier, u were expecting dem to use tithe to build schoools for ur kids. So if u call it deir salary, how com u r expecting dem to use it on u? Is dat how u employers behave? Christains dat r not gullible!!! Hmmmmmmnnn. And lastly the teaching Of Jesus Christ asked u to demand report or feedback on what ur pastor use ur tithe for right?
Re: Pained Nigerians On Twitter Demand That Schools Owned By Churches Must Be Free by Nobody: 6:30pm On Oct 24, 2015
akeensbussy:

For those that supported the church
expensive school fees, I want you to
reason and answer these questions.
1. What motive do a pastor(Man of God)
has for him to have open a school in the
first place? Someone who preach the
Gospel of Christ. Head, president or G.O
of a Church. What Motivated such
person to say "I think I or We must have
a schools.
2. If Jesus Christ, Peter or Paul were
Preacher of the Gospel in today's world.
would they build Schools? If they will,
what do u think will be their motive.
He that has brain, let him think.

How will u be asking motive for a sch? Wot is d motive of every sch? Buh missionary schools av more responsibility. Ccos dey not only impact knowledge and discipline. Raise d children. In the fear of God. Pls try n visit 2 or 3 mission schools n u'll c
Re: Pained Nigerians On Twitter Demand That Schools Owned By Churches Must Be Free by Nobody: 6:32pm On Oct 24, 2015
akeensbussy:

For those that supported the church expensive school fees, I want you to reason and answer these questions. 1. What motive do a pastor(Man of God) has for him to have open a school in the first place? Someone who preach the Gospel of Christ. Head, president or G.O of a Church. What Motivated such person to say "I think I or We must have a schools. 2. If Jesus Christ, Peter or Paul were Preacher of the Gospel in today's world. would they build Schools? If they will, what do u think will be their motive. He that has brain, let him think.
N wot make u say I. Support d church's expensive fees?
Pls read tru again pls
Re: Pained Nigerians On Twitter Demand That Schools Owned By Churches Must Be Free by donodion(m): 7:03pm On Oct 24, 2015
listen people..if indeed is free and the quality of education is OK...I suggest,as I would also, direct my tithe towards that direction.
Enough of free doughs ending in Pastors private accounts, giving them massive buildings and private jets.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Pained Nigerians On Twitter Demand That Schools Owned By Churches Must Be Free by samopeyemi: 8:19pm On Oct 24, 2015
I don't think it can be free per say. If it is free, that means the G.O or whoever is in charge will ALWAYS be going back to the church for funding which CANNOT truly sustain the university in the long run. How long will the church ask for contributions to build a new faculty, buy this equipment, pay worker's salary monthly. You are not even sure of the amount that would come in per month....It is a university and not some primary or secondary school. It takes a lot of cash to finance and sustain a STANDARD University....(ask the advanced countries)
HOWEVER, what should be done is that there should be a lot of SCHOLARSHIP for indigent students (especially members and maybe non members). It should range from FULL TUITION to HIGHLY SUBSIDISED TUITION. And the number of students that will benefit should be a REASONABLE PERCENTAGE of the total number admitted per year. By this, the money from the RICH can be used to maintain the school while deserving students from low income family can also benefit from what the school have to offer.
Re: Pained Nigerians On Twitter Demand That Schools Owned By Churches Must Be Free by otiigba1(m): 8:34pm On Oct 24, 2015
I stopped going to church when pastors began to ask for money and seed sowing.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pained Nigerians On Twitter Demand That Schools Owned By Churches Must Be Free by deelobe: 8:52pm On Oct 24, 2015
jascon1:
I strongly agree with them. Many Churches are financial establishments and scam stations. Catholic schools were free back in the days. Working in the church is a volunteer job and a humanitarian one. The church makes too much from tithe, offering and donation etc... Is time to put the money back into the church for the poor n needy n stop enriching self-acclaimed men of god
So why haven't you volunteered. Are you expecting them to survive on Genesis to Revelation. Tjat is an unrealistic suggestion, Reduced maybe
Re: Pained Nigerians On Twitter Demand That Schools Owned By Churches Must Be Free by sunnyt1(m): 9:25pm On Oct 24, 2015
DrGraveYardz:
No,it shouldn't be free. How would the church be able to pay both the teaching and non teaching staff their wages if they are were operating freely? Rather the school fees should be cheaper when compared to any other around.

If you opined the fee should be subsidized, it will be acceptable and logical but saying it shouldn't be free because the churches would nt be able to pay both the teaching and non teaching staff their wages doesnt sit well.

How did the churched build these schools? Cant the same source supply the maintanance? If people's tithes and offerings could be sufficient enough to build these schools then the same tithes and offering should be sufficient to maintain the schools

1 Like

Re: Pained Nigerians On Twitter Demand That Schools Owned By Churches Must Be Free by sunnyt1(m): 9:48pm On Oct 24, 2015
Macgreat:
Well, Build a school, run it for free for the next 2 years. Then you can complain.

You obviously dont understand this discussion

Churches build schools with members tithes and offerings and most of these people cant afford these schools because they are too expensive for average Nigerians. Now, the discussion is, should members pay so high for the schools built with their tithes and offering, their money? Adding to the fact that pastors use the same tithes and offerings to buy private jets.

Does it sink in now?

2 Likes

Re: Pained Nigerians On Twitter Demand That Schools Owned By Churches Must Be Free by smuth(m): 9:53pm On Oct 24, 2015
Anyss:

So after dedicating their whole life to d service of God and directly to u so called Christian, u feel u r doing dem too much favor by paying tithe? How shuld dey feed n train their children? And cos u pay dem as u call it, dat makes deir work not God's work right? And do u tink dat peanut u give dem monthly(dats if u do) is wortth deir sacrifice? And from ur argument earlier, u were expecting dem to use tithe to build schoools for ur kids. So if u call it deir salary, how com u r expecting dem to use it on u? Is dat how u employers behave? Christains dat r not gullible!!! Hmmmmmmnnn. And lastly the teaching Of Jesus Christ asked u to demand report or feedback on what ur pastor use ur tithe for right?

[size=13pt]So we directly or indirectly pay for the school project... The Ministers/Priests don't build the school from their pocket yet we cannot afford to send our children to the school we have a stake in, sweetheart is their any sense in this? Please tell me if there is. What happened to missionary schools of the past? Modern Christianity indeed...Hmmmm.[/size]

1 Like

Re: Pained Nigerians On Twitter Demand That Schools Owned By Churches Must Be Free by mozele(m): 11:09pm On Oct 24, 2015
jascon1:
abeg go. U no get bite. Brainwashee

brainwashee? Thats sheer stupidity.
Re: Pained Nigerians On Twitter Demand That Schools Owned By Churches Must Be Free by djcliff(m): 11:26pm On Oct 24, 2015
some people can mumu eh! in the Catholic church, there is a society called St Vincent De Paul. it is responsible for taking care of member with financial issues(school fees, medical bills, house rent, food, clothing.etc), the JDPC Is also an organization in the Catholic church that is solely responsible for the protection of legal rights of members when encrushed, these same schools people are talking about also make exams that grant students scholarship of which this children are selected from families that are considered "poor" do people also know that churches do send aides to countries facing natural disaster? the church also beg for fund through letters, appeals, donors etc. however the essence of making business for profit purpose is to sustain it self as well as the church and also not always going to the same people for funds everytime. sometimes the Churchill offering is not as huge as people with greed thinks. a church after 3 masses gets a 100k subtract the cost of diseal, Eucharist etc and NOTE in the Catholic church 50% of the offering are taking to the Bishop. this particular priests are not paid by any government agency or organization. like their Muslim counterpart. no donation goes into their personal account but into the church account. some of these priests have educational attainment that if u are to pay for their services :::::::::::u know. so even though I am in support of subsiding the price we should not be biased and inconsiderate because standard to a very large extend matter when education is involved.
Re: Pained Nigerians On Twitter Demand That Schools Owned By Churches Must Be Free by asids55: 4:02am On Oct 25, 2015
davidque007:
I wonder how and what some pastors and many Christians and non Christian reason from a stand point of share ignorance and with a crowd mentality.
Missionary schools in the old days were cheap because the local church had support from foreign partners, every child that had free education in a missionary was being sponsored by the kind hearted Christian abroad who God led to sow financials seeds to help education in Africa. One could say that the education was free only to the recipients but it cost someone somewhere plenty more.
I think its mere stupidity to call for church Owned schools to be free of charge. It means u want to give them low or no standard education to your members. Its costs a lot to maintain a school church or no church. Most missionary schools of old were owned by catholic or Anglican or etc and they all had sponsorship, some still do till today. However, the catholic schools that don't have sponsorship are just as expensive or even more expensive than most private schools.
What the Bible says is that "those who are rich should be benevolent to those who have little". I would advocate for more church sponsorship for the "poor" only, the rich can sponsor themselves.
Most times I hear people insult bishop oyedepo and convenant university. I can say cleary and truthfully that those who just blurt out crap from there bucal cavities are senseless and ignorant. Living church takes care for the poor in their midst, if u know anyone who is poor and isn't catered for in winners chapel, then u have seen someone who isn't a part of the church. The church has scholarship at all levels of education for "poor" church members, widows and orphans (my brother had LFC scholarship during his unversity years). But it must be asertained that that person is a true member of the church-identified from the house fellowship level. Many more welfare packages exist in the church for the poor all year round. Also many church members run support projects on their own.
People just come online and say all kind of nonsense and some foolish people will follow also.
The church can sponsor the poor in their midst, but its institution can't be free till they have sufficient financial support.

Do you know how much this churches make from tithes and offering on a weekly basis??what financial support does a church like winners chapel or redeem need to effectively run a free school?if members of such churches can sponsor the purchase of private jets and luxurious cars, don't you think it be fair to channel such funds to subsidizing the cost of school fees?redeem as over 2000 branches nation wide,and collects 3 to 4 offering weekly,they also run mid week programs too..abeg try summing up how much this totals to and you will get my point..so please quit saying they need any sort of financial support cause they got more than enough from the members

1 Like

Re: Pained Nigerians On Twitter Demand That Schools Owned By Churches Must Be Free by asids55: 4:16am On Oct 25, 2015
samopeyemi:
I don't think it can be free per say. If it is free, that means the G.O or whoever is in charge will ALWAYS be going back to the church for funding which CANNOT truly sustain the university in the long run. How long will the church ask for contributions to build a new faculty, buy this equipment, pay worker's salary monthly. You are not even sure of the amount that would come in per month....It is a university and not some primary or secondary school. It takes a lot of cash to finance and sustain a STANDARD University....(ask the advanced countries)
HOWEVER, what should be done is that there should be a lot of SCHOLARSHIP for indigent students (especially members and maybe non members). It should range from FULL TUITION to HIGHLY SUBSIDISED TUITION. And the number of students that will benefit should be a REASONABLE PERCENTAGE of the total number admitted per year. By this, the money from the RICH can be used to maintain the school while deserving students from low income family can also benefit from what the school have to offer.

nice contribution bro,but please do you know how much churches like redeem make in a week(mid-week service included)?they make billions on a weekly basis ..and they still make more money from school fees from members and non members..I really don't agree with the scholarship idea but drastic reduction in the school fees,if a private university like run or cu charges 100k yearly don't you think they will be able to keep the school afloat?
Re: Pained Nigerians On Twitter Demand That Schools Owned By Churches Must Be Free by Nobody: 5:59am On Oct 25, 2015
Church owned schools cannot be free... The cost of running these schools do not allow for that.

However some schools offer a percentage off for their members, all you have to do is get the letter from your pastor I think. (discounts are from 15% to 30% off last time I checked). If we are honest with ourselves, we will realize that tithes and offering may not be adequate to cover costs of maintaining a high standard school.

Also, those that say churches don't give to their congregation, how are you sure? That it wasn't announced doesn't mean it never happened.
While I support that the school fees should be reduced, I can't say that it should be free.
Re: Pained Nigerians On Twitter Demand That Schools Owned By Churches Must Be Free by 4everGrand(m): 7:47am On Oct 25, 2015
jascon1:
I strongly agree with them. Many Churches are financial establishments and scam stations. Catholic schools were free back in the days. Working in the church is a volunteer job and a humanitarian one. The church makes too much from tithe, offering and donation etc... Is time to put the money back into the church for the poor n needy n stop enriching self-acclaimed men of god

Like seriously? You prolly dont know what u saying.
On this topic tho, I would say the fees could be high buh they could help the indigent peeps by making a lot more opportunities available via scholarships.
Re: Pained Nigerians On Twitter Demand That Schools Owned By Churches Must Be Free by jascon1(m): 9:56am On Oct 25, 2015
4everGrand:

Like seriously? You prolly dont know what u saying.
On this topic tho, I would say the fees could be high buh they could help the indigent peeps by making a lot more opportunities available via scholarships.
educate me since I know not. How much does the church make, u have any idea?
Re: Pained Nigerians On Twitter Demand That Schools Owned By Churches Must Be Free by Johnsown1(m): 10:16am On Oct 28, 2015
dinxy:
funny enuf how the average man in Nigeria does nt get comfort from anywia but d government and the church. The church z supposed to be a place of solace for d believers. In situations were church schools re more expensive Dan even private skuls, wot z hope f d poor believers.

Am not saying the skul fee shld b free, rather am saying DT d skul fee should be atleast be reasonable nd considerable cheaper. Our church leaders should stop loving extravagantly nd provide sound education for the poor Nigerians. LOVE is the whole essence of xtianity nd notin else.
some of these church heads are not after preaching the good news they proposed to preach rather going after wealth.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Lists of Expensive Secondary Schools In Lagos State / Things I'm Glad I Knew Before I Graduated / It Is Not Mr Macaroni Riding On A Bicycle, It Is

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.