Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,133 members, 7,880,561 topics. Date: Thursday, 04 July 2024 at 09:04 PM

What Are The Things Never To Say To A Depressed Person? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What Are The Things Never To Say To A Depressed Person? (2630 Views)

What Are The Things People Without Home Training Do In Another Person's House ?? / 5 Things You Should Never Say To A Child / Are You Burnt Out With No Where To Turn To Or Just Simply Depressed? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Are The Things Never To Say To A Depressed Person? by Nobody: 3:01pm On Oct 28, 2015
Mindfulness:

I also have a very strong faith in God and it has NEVER failed me. I embrace the Christian values but I prefer not to call myself a Christian.

Sort of true.

Sweetheart, I read on the other thread that your kid has autism. I would like to recommend a book to you.

Title: I don't want to be inside me anymore. Messages from Autistic Mind.
Author: Birger Sellin

The author has autism himself. The book is very insightful and helps understand what it is like to have autism.

Your child is different, not wrong. God's child. wink

Thanks hun. I so agree, she has a wonderful caring heart and everyone one loves her. She is special

2 Likes

Re: What Are The Things Never To Say To A Depressed Person? by Nobody: 3:14pm On Oct 28, 2015
Mindfulness:

You are very funny. cheesy

Those ones who ALWAYS smile ALWAYS have issues. The problem is with the word always and not with the words those ones or everyone.

If you say that those ones who ALWAYS smile ALWAYS have issues, it means that EVERYONE who ALWAYS smiles ALWAYS has issues. wink
and if I remove the “always" and say “those ones who smile have issues".... what does it mean? wouldn't you insinuate the same thing?
Re: What Are The Things Never To Say To A Depressed Person? by Nobody: 3:18pm On Oct 28, 2015
JustTara:
and if I remove the “always" and say “those ones who smile have issues".... what does it mean? wouldn't you insinuate the same thing?

Sweetie, let us not focus on the misunderstanding but rather on the intention of your thread, which I believe is pure. wink
Re: What Are The Things Never To Say To A Depressed Person? by Nobody: 3:47pm On Oct 28, 2015
Mindfulness:

Sweetie, let us not focus on the misunderstanding but rather on the intention of your thread, which I believe is pure. wink
Yeah. Don't mind me. Anyways, what I meant to say was most people who are always smiling have bigger issues behind those smile. Not everyone. But most. Sorry I didn't phrase it so well.
Re: What Are The Things Never To Say To A Depressed Person? by Nobody: 4:49pm On Oct 28, 2015
JustTara:
Yeah. Don't mind me. Anyways, what I meant to say was most people who are always smiling have bigger issues behind those smile. Not everyone. But most. Sorry I didn't phrase it so well.

Sweet. smiley wink

Where does your interest in depression come from?
Re: What Are The Things Never To Say To A Depressed Person? by Nobody: 4:51pm On Oct 28, 2015
Mindfulness:

Sweet. smiley wink

Where does your interest in depression come from?
That really isn't something I should post on a public forum
Re: What Are The Things Never To Say To A Depressed Person? by Nobody: 4:52pm On Oct 28, 2015
JustTara:
That really isn't something I should post on a public forum

Excuse my curiosity please. wink

Never mind.
Re: What Are The Things Never To Say To A Depressed Person? by crackhaus: 9:28pm On Oct 28, 2015
I find this thread depressing undecided
Re: What Are The Things Never To Say To A Depressed Person? by Vikky014(f): 10:29pm On Oct 28, 2015
JustTara:
I know what it feels like to be depressed. And I know others can understand this to a ground level. Being depressed is like the weather. Some days you are sunny and bright. And without warning, you could suddenly turn cloudy and dark. The beautiful thing is, people will always want to help, but I really don't want to be helped anymore, because nobody is freaking understanding me. And they are getting tired, they are pointing fingers, they are doing all the things I just wished they'll stop. But they won't stop, because they don't even know what they're doing wrong. Now, I just want to be left alone. ( A whole lot of people feel this way)

Just to be fair, I decided to make a list of things never to say to a depressed person. You're an asshole if you read this list and still feel justified to go against it.

1. It’s just a phase. You’re just sad.
2. Other people have it worse. Life isn’t fair.
3. It’s all in your head.
4. You have no reason to be depressed.
5. Just be happy.
6. Get involved. Get out of the house. Be active!
Exercise!
7. Stop it with the self-pity!
8. I know how you feel. I was also depressed
once.
9.What is the problem? What is wrong?
10. You are bringing me down.
11. “Happiness is a choice”
12. You think *you’ve* got problems…
13. Maybe you should take vitamins for your
stress.
14. “Have you been praying/reading the Bible?
15. Well, everyone gets depressed sometimes!
16. “Smile and the world smiles with you, cry and
you cry alone.”
17. “You don’t *look* depressed!”
18. “You’re just looking for attention.
19. The only one you’re hurting is yourself.”
20. Depression is a symptom of your sin against
God.
21. That which does not kill us makes us
stronger.
22. “You don’t like feeling that way? So, change
it.”

.....and etcetera....
Any questions?
so wht shld we tell them
Re: What Are The Things Never To Say To A Depressed Person? by KanwuliaJara: 11:37pm On Oct 28, 2015
Are you ready to accept the "lord" as ya posina saffior? grin
Re: What Are The Things Never To Say To A Depressed Person? by Nobody: 5:55am On Oct 29, 2015
Vikky014:
so wht shld we tell them
check through the comments. But just to make it easier, I'll modify a list into the post
Re: What Are The Things Never To Say To A Depressed Person? by Vikky014(f): 7:09am On Oct 29, 2015
JustTara:
check through the comments. But just to make it easier, I'll modify a list into the post
ok

(1) (2) (Reply)

A Man Married A Man!!! Isn’t This Madness?? / . / Cussons Baby Moments 7: Your Baby Stands A Chance To Win 2 Million Naira!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.