Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,034 members, 7,949,522 topics. Date: Sunday, 15 September 2024 at 12:12 PM

University Of Ibadan Discovers Cure For Sickle Cell - Health (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / University Of Ibadan Discovers Cure For Sickle Cell (48239 Views)

Kebbi Sickle Cell Association (KESCA) Marks World Sickle Cell Day (Photos) / Sickle Cell Patient On Oxygen Dies After Power Outage In Lagos / The Oldest Person With Sickle - Asiata Onikoyi-laguda (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: University Of Ibadan Discovers Cure For Sickle Cell by Nobody: 11:54pm On Oct 29, 2015
amiskurie:
This claims will be rubbished soon.

Those mofos never want any good come out of Africa
Try to reread the OP! Smh...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: University Of Ibadan Discovers Cure For Sickle Cell by firfinch(m): 12:03am On Oct 30, 2015
gejubongudofia:
O.M.G FOUR DAYS TO START?... TO REALLY PARTAKE IN THIS DRAW .
JUST LOGON TO HTTP://WWW.CARNIVALBUMPER.COM .. TO GET YOUR TICKETS ONLINE. DISTANCE ISN'T A BARRIER, BUY NOW!! .YOU CAN ALSO CONTACT 08120730135,08022139749 FOR MORE INFO.
turn $18 to $640 in one month. Firstmonie, master card and Visa accepted. Get started today.
Re: University Of Ibadan Discovers Cure For Sickle Cell by Nobody: 12:03am On Oct 30, 2015
logica:
...I receive it. Thanks. smiley
You're welcome dear
Re: University Of Ibadan Discovers Cure For Sickle Cell by cirmuell(m): 12:06am On Oct 30, 2015
Rumpelstiltskin:
Which of the mental facilities are you posting from really?
grincheesy

1 Like

Re: University Of Ibadan Discovers Cure For Sickle Cell by Nobody: 12:06am On Oct 30, 2015
Valfrankie:
I don't see any new discovery made in this report, I 've always known about the stem cell transplant, just like many of us here do, ok maybe the elimination of the chemotherapy session made it new. Dear fellow warriors, it is nor yet uhuru, this report is too sketchy to elicit any sigh of relief. The questions we should be asking include:

1. Will take transplant take place in Ibadan or the US?

2. How affordable to the common warrior in the street 'll it be?

3. Has any transplant been so far carried out in IBADAN?

These and many other questions should be answered before we can roll out the drums and celebrate. I also think if this is true, the government through the Nigeria Sickle Cell foundation should make it available to all warriors at little or no cost (as was done for HIV ART drugs, though this is different). I still believe in the Naija dreams, the future is bright! GOD bless all warriors.

Cc. Abali, Chi59 and all warriors present.
Noteworthy

1 Like

Re: University Of Ibadan Discovers Cure For Sickle Cell by Nobody: 12:11am On Oct 30, 2015
Abali1:

I am here. Am really happy about the break through. The challenge will now be getting a 'matching Donor' for the transplant.
Yea.. Another issue will be the price..how i pray that the federal government will step in and fund a greater percentage of the procedure, which the masses can benefit from.
Re: University Of Ibadan Discovers Cure For Sickle Cell by omoarole: 12:17am On Oct 30, 2015
damocheezy:
that's not true. You are probably mistaking it for Leukaemia but this is sickle cell anaemia

It is VERY true. Do your research well. It was considered very very well long before they thought of it for leukemia. Because theoretically, it was a better use of resources for treatment due to the fact that relapse is always a possible outcome following bone marrow transplant for leukemia, which doesn't happen in sickle cell anemia. Look up Prof Adekile's research on sickle cell anemia. It's been around for ages.

1 Like

Re: University Of Ibadan Discovers Cure For Sickle Cell by aderonkedeborah(f): 4:14am On Oct 30, 2015
amiskurie:
This claims will be rubbished soon.

Those mofos never want any good come out of Africa
Think n Talk positively pls.

1 Like

Re: University Of Ibadan Discovers Cure For Sickle Cell by aigbokiejohnson(m): 4:32am On Oct 30, 2015
This isn't news. Bone marrow transplant has been a cure since. How different from that obtainable from UBTH?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: University Of Ibadan Discovers Cure For Sickle Cell by Funjosh(m): 5:48am On Oct 30, 2015
Sigh! Good news cool
Re: University Of Ibadan Discovers Cure For Sickle Cell by logica(m): 7:36am On Oct 30, 2015
Chi59:

You're welcome dear
I guess the mental illness you inherited from your father is bothering you.
Re: University Of Ibadan Discovers Cure For Sickle Cell by Spidermon: 7:53am On Oct 30, 2015
damocheezy:
that's not true. You are probably mistaking it for Leukaemia but this is sickle cell anaemia

Trust me when I say I know the difference. All erythropoietic/blood forming disorders can theoretically be cured by bone marrow transplant.
Just as how a kidney transplanthas always been an option in case of malfunction.....basically.
My lecturers mentioned it way back in school. I had always thought the only draw back to this approach had been the technology/expertise and cost since it is prevalently a black man's problem.
Re: University Of Ibadan Discovers Cure For Sickle Cell by simi4me(m): 8:09am On Oct 30, 2015
That is a great news.
Re: University Of Ibadan Discovers Cure For Sickle Cell by uzoronwusa: 8:16am On Oct 30, 2015
Berrylite:
Am glad this info is coming from UI, the seminar I attended about introducing herbal medicine into the medical curriculum will be the next. Am miles ahead of this because I have got a cure for diabetes too.
No more drugs or insulin injection. For the doubting Thomas(s) around, keep on quoting 1880 journals while the world is changing faster than you can comprehend.
Check my signature for details on managing diabetes using natural supplement.
From cure to management? Which one you get?both are different. when you cure its gone for good. you don't manage it.
Re: University Of Ibadan Discovers Cure For Sickle Cell by PhunsukhWangdu(m): 8:16am On Oct 30, 2015
This part is very important:
The CMD, Prof. Alonge who called for support from government, philanthropists, donour agencies...
because of the underprivileged.
Re: University Of Ibadan Discovers Cure For Sickle Cell by femicyrus(m): 8:28am On Oct 30, 2015
some people are tempted to say Jonathan administration is responsible for this breakthrough
Re: University Of Ibadan Discovers Cure For Sickle Cell by Oluwawapelumi(m): 9:59am On Oct 30, 2015
So how much is the bone marrow transplants... Is it affordable or just one another gimmick?
Re: University Of Ibadan Discovers Cure For Sickle Cell by Nobody: 11:26am On Oct 30, 2015
logica:
I guess the mental illness you inherited from your father is bothering you.
If not that you are an uncultured and mannerless individual, you'd know that it's absolutely wrong to insult someone's father. If you feel offended, why don't you face me? You lack proper home training..mtcheew
Re: University Of Ibadan Discovers Cure For Sickle Cell by ebukaOtika(m): 1:14pm On Oct 30, 2015
NigerianDiamond:

Shame on you...You are a fucking backward human being...I believe if not for the cleaners list, you wouldn't have had tertiary education. Moreover, the problem you had with these news is that the school mentioned is UI, you would have preffered IMSU or UNN...mumu #StopDemeaningNigeria

Get sense , u no gree

Gerraaarraaaa heeeerreeee
Re: University Of Ibadan Discovers Cure For Sickle Cell by logica(m): 4:23pm On Oct 30, 2015
Chi59:

If not that you are an uncultured and mannerless individual, you'd know that it's absolutely wrong to insult someone's father. If you feel offended, why don't you face me? You lack proper home training..mtcheew
Your FATHER is uncultured and mannerless; and that's all you learned from him. Oh, did I forget to mention he also lacks proper home training? 1diot.
Re: University Of Ibadan Discovers Cure For Sickle Cell by Nobody: 1:18am On Oct 31, 2015
logica:
Your FATHER is uncultured and mannerless; and that's all you learned from him. Oh, did I forget to mention he also lacks proper home training? 1diot.
You are lucky the old me has been crucified and is long dead. Very lucky. Anyway, i have no further business with you. Lolz
Re: University Of Ibadan Discovers Cure For Sickle Cell by Abudu2000(m): 4:12am On Jan 09, 2016
NJPot:
Nigeria has poorly equipped Universities but yet the Universities discover things which shock the world. Bravo to great Nigerian scientists which I am one of them. Meanwhile read how my costly and newly bought trousers disgraced me in UNIZIK
it was in affiliation with a UK research facility ooo,don't be flattered!
Re: University Of Ibadan Discovers Cure For Sickle Cell by Abudu2000(m): 4:15am On Jan 09, 2016
nath0507:
@amiskurie

Its not a claim, I actually when through this procedure December 2013/January 2014 with my sister being my donor and up till date I have not had any crisis, so please don't discourage people that will wanna go through the process. Its enough that we go through the pain then to have someone that don't have any clue what the pain is like trying to put doubt into peoples mind is a shame. I had my transplant at National institute of health in Bethesda, MD and Am Nigerian born in the United States. Its real no joke. Please people don't listen to those ignorant folks trying to put doubt in your mind.
how much does it cost,like what's the estimate,thanks for your ans in advace
Re: University Of Ibadan Discovers Cure For Sickle Cell by FullDepth1: 7:44am On Jan 10, 2016
nath0507:
@amiskurie

Its not a claim, I actually when through this procedure December 2013/January 2014 with my sister being my donor and up till date I have not had any crisis, so please don't discourage people that will wanna go through the process. Its enough that we go through the pain then to have someone that don't have any clue what the pain is like trying to put doubt into peoples mind is a shame. I had my transplant at National institute of health in Bethesda, MD and Am Nigerian born in the United States. Its real no joke. Please people don't listen to those ignorant folks trying to put doubt in your mind.

Hello Nath, pls can I get your contact details. Need to speak to you about the procedure and its urgent.
My email is allenstreak@gmail.com
Re: University Of Ibadan Discovers Cure For Sickle Cell by bman2003: 5:25pm On Apr 05, 2019
Solamin

Re: University Of Ibadan Discovers Cure For Sickle Cell by XAUBulls: 8:59am On Nov 28, 2023
fearlesschicken:
The University of Ibadan (UI), in partnership with two American universities, on Wednesday, announced the discovery of a permanent cure for the sickle cell disease.

The cure which was described as less risky and with a potential to help over 5 million Africans living with the disease, was the outcome of a research carried out by UI in alliance with medical experts at the University of Illinois and the University of Loyola, both in Chicago.

Nigeria and other African countries can now heave a sigh of relief as the University of Ibadan in partnership with the University of Illinois, Chicago, USA and University of Loyola, Chicago have discovered a permanent cure for the terminal disease.
The cure of the deadly disease, according to the Professor of Medicine, Victor Gordeuk, who is the Director, Sickle Cell Centre, University of Illinois, Chicago, USA and his colleagues, Prof. Damiano Rondelli, also from the same university and Prof. Bamidele Tayo, University of Loyola, Chicago this new treatment is done through bone marrow transplant and that it is less risky.
This was revealed yesterday at the University College Hospital, Ibadan after a three-day brainstorming session with other experts in the teaching hospital.
Unlike the other conventional method of stem cell transplant which exposes patients to radiation which could cause cancer, first blood and marrow stem cell transplant, BMT, is much more effective.

The experts who were flanked by the Chief Medical Director, UCH, Prof. Temitope Alonge, Dr. Titilola Akingbola, an haematologist and Dr. Foluke Fasola, said this stem cell transplant is a standard procedure for the treatment of many blood cancers in both adult and children.

He said: “With this chemotherapy-free transplant, we are curing adults with sickle cell disease, and we see that their quality of life improves fast within just one month of the transplant.

“About 90 per cent of the approximately 450 patients who have received stem cell transplants for sickle cell disease have been children. Chemotherapy has been considered too risky for adult patients, who are often more weakened than children by the disease.

“Adults with sickle cell disease can now be cured without chemotherapy — the main barrier that has stood in the way for them for so long. Our data provide more support that this therapy is safe and effective and prevents patients from living shortened lives, condemned to pain and progressive complications.”

“In the new procedure, patients receive immuno-suppressive drugs just before the transplant, along with a very low dose of total body irradiation, a treatment much less harsh and with fewer potentially serious side effects than chemotherapy.”

“ Donor cells from a healthy and tissue-matched sibling are transfused into the patient. Stem cells from the donor produce healthy new blood cells in the patient, eventually in sufficient quantity to eliminate symptoms. In many cases, sickle cells can no longer be detected. Patients must continue to take immunosuppressant drugs for at least a year.

The CMD, Prof. Alonge who called for support from government, philanthropists, donour agencies and corporate bodies like banks and Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation for provision of equipment and completion of the sickle cell centre, described sickle cell as a disease of bone crisis which the patient suffers from head to toe.

He added that Sickle Cell Disease is a genetic disorder due to the presence of an abnormal form of haemoglobin in the red blood cells, called haemoglobin S (Hb S) instead of haemoglobin A (Hb A). Haemoglobin in the red blood cell is responsible for the transportation of oxygen in the body.

Source:http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/10/uch-usa-varsities-discover-cure-for-sickle-cell-anaemia/
Bump.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Anayo Isaac Ugwuaba Undergoes Surgery Abroad (Photos) / My Coronavirus Panic Experience / Dr. Yunusa Thairu Explains COVID-19 Treatment Regimen

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.