Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,181,537 members, 7,914,429 topics. Date: Thursday, 08 August 2024 at 04:24 AM

It Is Time To Go Home - A Narrative By Flyca - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / It Is Time To Go Home - A Narrative By Flyca (1278 Views)

Waiting To Go Home / $4,000 Narrative Prize: You Too Can Participate / THE CHIBOK GIRLS! (non-fictional Narrative Of The Chibok Girls) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

It Is Time To Go Home - A Narrative By Flyca by flyca: 6:11pm On Oct 30, 2015
A few days ago, I received a call from my mum that her fish were growing impressively. "Fisssssssh?!" , I asked - in the same tone as a child sent to buy fish for Sunday rice. I was very surprised because prior to this call, I have known my mum was an educationist, so "fishing" for her would just be the last of my guesses. But in excitement, she ignored my question and continued telling me how they were exploring the new "petalization" of fish food plus a few other t-its-n-bits before she hung off the phone. So yes, there were fish, but how come I'm just getting to know? I felt sad embarassed .

You see, I have been away for a few years now and communication has become like this. Every now and then, my mum always found something new to break to me, but the news is not always about her or about fish. Two weeks ago, it was about my sister's new job and the week before that, it was about my Uncle's funeral. So as much as I would like to say that I'm getting adjusted to it, I'm not. I miss immediacy. Few years ago, she wouldn't have to tell me about the fish 3 months after. I wouldn't have to know about the interior colour change of our house - perhaps my room too - after the painting undecided .

Later on she sent me two pictures: one when the fish was being fed. The other, when they weren't. The rest, I have to imagine. I imagined the size of the farm -if it were, the size of the pond, how many fish there were. For the sake that I had to assign them a specie in my mind's eye, I imagined they were mangala, not crocker, not kote. But none of this was certain. Well, my imaginative skill has been all I rely hugely on as these news come in in insubstantial amounts. I guess that is one of the prize I am paying for separation.

And while I talked with her about how the recent weather changed affected me, she says, "eiya my dear, I understand how you feel". The truth: she doesn't. How is that even possible? Cold don't travel on phone lines.

So I thought, it is time to go home, go update myself, for myself, by myself. Its time to go sit by my dad and sing his favorite hymns with him. Its time to go feed my mother's fish and see if they would like me, lol. Its time to go and visit my elder sister and her hubby in their new home - probably be the one to catch the baby. Hehe. Its time to go and eat a free plate of "worrrefa" out of my brother's new restaurant. Its time to go give my younger sister a surprise visit at work - I know she will be very glad. To hug my aunt, look her into the eye and remind her that it is well. Its time to go home and spread myself in the sun, to catch up with friends and folks, and give out a hearty laughter. Yeah, its time to go home, even if its just for a month or two. smiley smiley

3 Likes

Re: It Is Time To Go Home - A Narrative By Flyca by flyca: 6:12pm On Oct 30, 2015
Space for pictures, updates, and responses. kiss

Lalasticlala and Ishilove. Pls Do you consider this FrontPage worthy?
Re: It Is Time To Go Home - A Narrative By Flyca by Nobody: 7:49pm On Oct 30, 2015
Hmm... u try. Its time to kuku go home looto. Buh, thought I'm gon read something else ni sha, like its time for 9jirians in diaspora to go home because of fish agriculture bla bla bla
Re: It Is Time To Go Home - A Narrative By Flyca by kniru: 2:55pm On Jan 17, 2017
we would be waiting with open arms !!!
Re: It Is Time To Go Home - A Narrative By Flyca by Kpakorich: 5:53pm On Mar 25, 2017
So I was just here perusing NL then I found this one, though dated as far back 2015 yet interesting.
Maybe I should also talk about missing home or maybe I shouldn't

(1) (Reply)

Penastory: Who Am I? – Onwuchekwa Ikechukwu David / Must Read: BLACK MARIA (A Tale Of Two Thieves) / ♡ LINKS TO ALL JESSICA DURU'S WORKS ♡

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.