Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,930 members, 7,942,339 topics. Date: Saturday, 07 September 2024 at 07:59 AM

How Not To Write A CV- CV Writing Course 101 - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / How Not To Write A CV- CV Writing Course 101 (1814 Views)

The Difference Between A Resume And A Cv. I Bet You Didn't Know! / 7 Things You Should Cross Check Before Sending Off A CV / Should Primary School Education Be Added To A CV? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How Not To Write A CV- CV Writing Course 101 by jomson: 6:53pm On Oct 30, 2015
This is a free CV writing course that will run for a while until we have covered all essential areas. It will worth your time to follow the learning process.

INTRODUCTION

CV writing is the second phase of any job hustle. Why is it the second phase? First is the need to spot opportunities before the decision to put forward an application (You can download the free ebook Job Seekers Reference Book to learn about job hunting by visiting http://femiojomo.com/). It is important that this second phase of job hustle is as important as the first. However, majority have attended to it with levity.

What is a CV? It is that pass that grants you entry before your arrival. First is to secure entry and second is to prove that you are worth the entry.

Back to the CV language, your CV should be that document that captures your fit as related to the role or job you have applied or applying for.

LESSON ONE: Never approach every job with a generic content.

This is very important. Some candidates have applied for over 10 different jobs in the past week without altering a sentence in their CV. CV tailoring is very important while applying for jobs. For further understanding, please read more here http://femiojomo.com/job-rants-one-reason-why-candidates-are-not-invited-for-job-interviews/

How do you craft your CV?

The word CRAFT is a deliberate choice. CV writing is both an Art and a Science.

My next session will be focused on:
What should inform the crafting of a CV? (Regardless of being an experienced candidate or a fresh graduate)

Before the next session, I will leave you with these CVs to decide their fate. To shortlist or Not to shortlist

Re: How Not To Write A CV- CV Writing Course 101 by jomson: 3:22pm On Nov 02, 2015
What should inform the crafting or writing of a CV

Starting from where we stopped with the introduction, I will like to proceed to what should inform the writing of a CV. In answering this question I will draw answers from my many years’ experience in the practice of HR. The following areas should inform the writing of your CV:

Your Experience – This is what you have been exposed to in your field of practice. Note I did not mention job descriptions as depicted on most CVs. Your experience should be focused on achievements, contributions and innovations while occupying a role. This is what sells you.

An introduction of your competency through a well-crafted summary is most likely to win an extra attention from the Recruiter. This goes a long way to make your CV an interesting read. Let this be one of the first thing to be presented on your CV if you are an experienced hire. Never make the mistake of listing not so important stuffs before your experience profile. For the fresh graduates, you need to sell your uniqueness through a fusion of your summary and career objective. Follow this up with your strengths as depicted in skill areas. Then repeat the same thing as mentioned above in respect to experience. If you have never worked, what did you do differently at NYSC? What about extra activities or pre-NYSC engagements? You need to sell yourself.

The Job Requirements – Many people fail the test of job application here. Majority take their time to search for job opportunities but are reluctant to make necessary adjustment to their CV. The average job opening comes with a job description or expectation. It is important that both your CV and Application letters are tailored towards the job requirements. Would you pull your dusty shoe from underneath your bed and wear it? You are likely to dust it to suit the occasion. Such is with CV tailoring.

The shortlisting mechanism – The request for application communicates how applications should be submitted. You are required to understand how this works and how it should go a long way in crafting your CV. I will recommend that you download the free job seekers reference book to read up on manual and application enhanced shortlisting styles.

Below are two different CVs I worked on for some clients. The first picture is the original CV that was submitted by the client while the second was a first draft of the improved CV. The third image is the improved CV for a fresh graduate that I worked on. Read the summary and objective.

The next session will be focused on the look and feel of your CV.

(1) (Reply)

Post All Osogbo Jobs Here / Urgent Recruitment- No Expérience Needed. Training to Be Provided / Media Job A Female Personal Assistant To The Md/creative Director

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.