Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,939 members, 7,942,385 topics. Date: Saturday, 07 September 2024 at 08:55 AM

How Oil Barons Pushed Former EFFC Boss Waziri Out Of Office - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Oil Barons Pushed Former EFFC Boss Waziri Out Of Office (416 Views)

FLASHBACK: Sanusi Doesn't Know How Oil Revenues Are Remitted - Andrew Yakubu / Oil Barons Didn’t Sponsor Us, Saraki, Dogara Reply Akande / How Oil Barons, Others Hijacked Senate, House Election (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How Oil Barons Pushed Former EFFC Boss Waziri Out Of Office by Nobody: 9:29am On Nov 03, 2015

ERSTWHILE Chairman of the Economic and Finan­cial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Mrs. Farida Wa­ziri, yesterday revealed that she came under “fierce at­tacks, slander, blackmail and threats,” while trying to end oil-money induced corrup­tion.

In a statement by her me­dia aide, Ade Williams, the ex-chairman said she was happy that there is ‘a new sheriff in town’, alluding to the anti-corruption stance of President Muhammadu Bu­hari.

Mrs Waziri spoke at Benue State University, Makurdi during the inauguration of World Bank’s Africa Centre of Excellence Project, Cen­tre for Food Technology and Research.
The university was chosen by the World Bank as one of the centres for its 10 Africa Centre of Excellence Project.

While calling for a dras­tic diversification of the nation’s economy from oil through policies that would boost agricultural productiv­ity and reduce corruption, the ex-EFCC boss said long years of over-dependence on oil revenue was one of the driving forces of public and private sectors, corruption in the country.

Waziri said diversifica­tion of the economy would also boost industrial output for the socio-economic de­velopment of Nigeria. She said: “No doubt, our over-dependence on oil revenue has brought us to the point where we are as a nation today. As an anti-corruption czar, I have seen how some of those the nation entrusted with its oil resources in the past helped themselves more than the country.

“With our focus on agri­culture, the struggle by politi­cal office holders to steal oil fund would diminish while the national wealth will be in the hands of the people in­stead of a privileged greedy few. We cannot all dig oil wells in our backyard, but we can all farm in our back­yards. It is time to end oil-money induced corruption in our land by buying into President Buhari’s vision and take ownership.

“I have made my contribu­tions in the fight to discour­age that and even recovered some of the looted funds in billions of dollars. For dar­ing to do that, I came un­der fierce attacks, slander, blackmail and threats, but by God’s grace and long years of experience, I survived all. I am glad today that in­deed, there is a new sheriff in town,” Mrs. Waziri noted.

Source
Re: How Oil Barons Pushed Former EFFC Boss Waziri Out Of Office by chocolateme(f): 9:30am On Nov 03, 2015
Oh boy!!

(1) (Reply)

Needed A Good Job Or Business / Barclays To Cut Nigeria From Emerging Market Local Bond Index From Feb. 2016 / Photos: Nigerian Contingent To African Union Standby Force Returns

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.