Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,143 members, 7,880,582 topics. Date: Thursday, 04 July 2024 at 09:39 PM

How Did My Email Get Compromised And What Can I Do To Stop It? - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / How Did My Email Get Compromised And What Can I Do To Stop It? (359 Views)

Why Did My Youtube Video Earn Only $5 After Reaching 22,479 Views / How To Stop Hackers From Posting Nude Pics And Videos On Your Facebook Wall / 5 Lies You Need To STOP Telling Yourself As A Site Owner (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How Did My Email Get Compromised And What Can I Do To Stop It? by todhost(m): 1:05am On Nov 07, 2015
Once in a while, we have received complaints concerning claims of someone else using an email account to send email without the knowledge of the actual account owner.

Cases like this may not really be a hack. But i can be sure to say that your email account has indeed been compromised.

This often creates a problem especially when mass mails are being sent from the accounts. Let's examine this in greater detail and see what can be done.

In the “old days”, that typically meant that your computer had acquired a virus, and that virus was in turn accessing your PC’s email program and systematically sending email to everyone in your contact list or address book. While that’s still a possibility – and you should absolutely make sure that your anti-malware tools are running and up to date – it’s not nearly as common as it once was. Most email programs now carefully protect against unauthorized address book access.

What more likely occurred is that your email account has been compromised – meaning that you probably have an on-line email account, free or otherwise, that someone has gained access too. How this happened is difficult to say. It could be anything from a weak password that’s easy to guess, to your account credentials being sniffed in an open WiFi hotspot, to your simply having shared the account information with someone you should not have and to a friend gaining access to your computer without your knowledge.

Read more at: https://www.todhost.com/knowledgebase/712/How-Did-My-Email-Get-Compromised-and-What-Can-I-Do-to-Stop-It.html

(1) (Reply)

Virtualhost Vs Vps? / Verified Nigerian Adsense For Sale!! / Domain Name Parking,easiest Way To Make Cool Cash

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 6
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.