Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,189,309 members, 7,936,917 topics. Date: Sunday, 01 September 2024 at 07:40 AM

Turns Out Gov. Darius Ishaku Has A Good Case At The Court Of APPEAL. - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Turns Out Gov. Darius Ishaku Has A Good Case At The Court Of APPEAL. (36999 Views)

Darius Ishaku Arrives Ekiti For Thanskgiving (Photos) / Tribunal Sacks Darius Ishaku, Declares Aisha Jumai Alhassanā€Ž Winner / Aisha Jummai-Alhassan 1st Elected Female Governor As Tribunal Sacks Ishaku (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Turns Out Gov. Darius Ishaku Has A Good Case At The Court Of APPEAL. by Whynotthetruth(m): 7:32pm On Nov 07, 2015
IdisuleOurOwn:

Happy weekend jurist.

cheesy Same to you...BTW Fayose never begged anywhere...His mandate was clearly defended by the MASSES...thanks
Re: Turns Out Gov. Darius Ishaku Has A Good Case At The Court Of APPEAL. by Obynolee(f): 7:33pm On Nov 07, 2015
Y
IyaIode:

How can election be credible when the winner wasn't eligible

Court is not a father Christmas,it only gives you what you prayed for.If the post is true,i think they have a good point on appeal.

1 Like

Re: Turns Out Gov. Darius Ishaku Has A Good Case At The Court Of APPEAL. by Nobody: 7:33pm On Nov 07, 2015
MizMyColi:
If you look at the Taraba Tribunal live updates thread, you'll see that even APC folks didn't quite expect the turnout in favour of Alhassan as witnessed today.

Despite the crowd Jimi pulled in Lagos, it would have been a miracle to see him win.
How much more someone who's squarely hated in Taraba.
The Court of Appeal and/or the Supreme Court MAY reverse this judgement, citing the Amaechi v Omehia case (2007). Recall that the SC held that parties, not candidates, win elections.
Thus, if the SC rule that the Taraba election was held in substantial compliance with the Electoral Act, but the PDP didn't properly select a flag bearer; the court could order the PDP to hold a fresh gubernatorial primary, or order the swearing-in of Ishaku's "runner-up" in the 2014 primary.

1 Like

Re: Turns Out Gov. Darius Ishaku Has A Good Case At The Court Of APPEAL. by Royruky(m): 7:36pm On Nov 07, 2015
CFCfan:

The Court of Appeal and/or the Supreme Court MAY reverse this judgement, citing the Amaechi v Omehia case (2007). Recall that the SC held that parties, not candidates, win elections.
Thus, if the SC rule that the Taraba election was held in substantial compliance with the Electoral Act, but the PDP didn't properly select a flag bearer; the court could order the PDP to hold a fresh gubernatorial primary, or order the swearing-in of Ishaku's "runner-up" in the 2014 primary.

When you cited that case I thought you are a lawyer until I read you submission based on the authority.

Too bad you missed it.

Eligibility cannot be corrected at this stage.
Re: Turns Out Gov. Darius Ishaku Has A Good Case At The Court Of APPEAL. by nd07(m): 7:39pm On Nov 07, 2015
IyaIode:

how can u prove he's not eligible, did his party complain? indeed, Nigeria judiciary is 4 sale. any government of d day buys
Re: Turns Out Gov. Darius Ishaku Has A Good Case At The Court Of APPEAL. by Royruky(m): 7:42pm On Nov 07, 2015
nd07:

how can u prove he's not eligible, did his party complain? indeed, Nigeria judiciary is 4 sale. any government of d day buys

This post was directed at lawyers.

Do not make a mockery of the judicial process that you know little or nothing about.

Eligibility can now be challenged by the opponent even as it relates to the party primary.

But the eligibility must be specifically pleaded.

2 Likes

Re: Turns Out Gov. Darius Ishaku Has A Good Case At The Court Of APPEAL. by adaweezy(m): 7:45pm On Nov 07, 2015
IbokUtoroh:

ur law degree fit be from toronto university.
present a better argument
Re: Turns Out Gov. Darius Ishaku Has A Good Case At The Court Of APPEAL. by adaweezy(m): 7:46pm On Nov 07, 2015
Royruky:

Do not make a mockery of the judicial process that you know little or nothing about.

Eligibility can now be challenged by the opponent even as it relates to the party primary.

help me tell them

1 Like

Re: Turns Out Gov. Darius Ishaku Has A Good Case At The Court Of APPEAL. by Kingspin(m): 7:51pm On Nov 07, 2015
IyaIode:

which election is credible in Nigeria?
Re: Turns Out Gov. Darius Ishaku Has A Good Case At The Court Of APPEAL. by MizMyColi(f): 8:15pm On Nov 07, 2015
CFCfan:

Thanks for broaching this angle.

Compared to the US, I consider our democracy a very nascent one.

Displaying such brazen rascality in a bid to spite and usurp the opposition does not bode well.

This is not to exonerate the PDP of all guilt, but I reckon with the man who said, and I quote...
"We can not keep doing the same things, the same way, and expect different results.

Every discerning mind should ruminate on this.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Turns Out Gov. Darius Ishaku Has A Good Case At The Court Of APPEAL. by lookingfly: 8:15pm On Nov 07, 2015
spidey77:
Till date, buhari has not produced his certificate...just looking at eligibility and results tho
guy I de feel this comment die, thank you

2 Likes

Re: Turns Out Gov. Darius Ishaku Has A Good Case At The Court Of APPEAL. by lookingfly: 8:21pm On Nov 07, 2015
themilanway:
PDP and corruption is so inter woven.

So in the 1st instance,Ishiaku had no business contesting in the april election?

This is unbelieveable
like bullhari that never had a certificate to contest but still went ahead to contest , right?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Turns Out Gov. Darius Ishaku Has A Good Case At The Court Of APPEAL. by Nobody: 8:25pm On Nov 07, 2015
MizMyColi:

Thanks for broaching this this angle.

Compared to the US, I consider our democracy a very nascent one.

Displaying such brazen rascality in a bid to spite and usurp the opposition does not bode well.

This is not to exonerate the PDP of all guilt, but I reckon with the man who said, and I quote...
"We can not keep doing the same things, the same way, and expect different results.

Every discerning mind should ruminate on this.
Election tribunals will be needed in Naija for a long time. There are just too many instances of substantial non-compliance to electoral laws.
Even in the US, the courts are sometimes called upon to adjudicate on electoral disputes.
Re: Turns Out Gov. Darius Ishaku Has A Good Case At The Court Of APPEAL. by Nobody: 8:27pm On Nov 07, 2015
Royruky:

Re: Turns Out Gov. Darius Ishaku Has A Good Case At The Court Of APPEAL. by ishiamu(m): 8:29pm On Nov 07, 2015
IdisuleOurOwn:

It takes a thief to know a thief. How do you know he operates over 50 handles?
Descartes /Decibel is a kidnapper, a rapist and a criminal - Opiaku /ishiamu.

See foolish boy don't mention me again else you die
Re: Turns Out Gov. Darius Ishaku Has A Good Case At The Court Of APPEAL. by ishiamu(m): 8:33pm On Nov 07, 2015
Descartes:

My nightmare? A well-known resident scammer called subway101, who operates over 50 monikers on nairaland that i always deal with here. He is indeed a toast grin

LoL hw did u knw dat punk is a scammer? He's my dog here on NL. A stubborn dog for that matter
Re: Turns Out Gov. Darius Ishaku Has A Good Case At The Court Of APPEAL. by ishiamu(m): 8:35pm On Nov 07, 2015
SUBWAY101:

The old bitter fool is angry i exposed his decibel handle, he has been accusing me wrongly since then cos of his bitterness. An old man that still live with his 12 siblings and old mother in a single room. What a shame.

Mtchew
Re: Turns Out Gov. Darius Ishaku Has A Good Case At The Court Of APPEAL. by Jodesky(m): 8:38pm On Nov 07, 2015
PRYCE:
News reaching me from my homestate is that The PDP has an Excellent case to upturn the Governorship Tribunal's judgement at the court of appeal because Aisha's Petition was NOT ABOUT MR DARIUS' ELIGIBILITY which the court based it's judgement on but ON FAIRNESS OF THE ELECTION.

THE PETITIONER SUBMITTED A PETITION ON THE CREDIBILITY OF THE ELECTIONS AND NOT ON MR DARIUS' ELIGIBILITY!

The tribunal delivered a completely different judgement on a non-existent application!

CC: tonyebarcanista and all legal practitioners in the house... Is this True?

Are u aware if the tribunal made any findings with regard to the actual petition and the prayers sought.
I find it strange that the tribunal would have raised the issue of eligibility suo motu.

Indeed, even if it did, upon what evidence would the tribunal have arrived at its findings. That would be a herculian task.

My take is that the issue came up during the trial and evidence must have been adduced by relevant parties. Unless some elements of magic were imported, the tribunal could not have arrived at that decision without taking evidence since it was an internal PDP matter and l doubt if the APC candidate will be in position to furnish relevant evidence.

These issues cannot be addressed on this forum without having the benefit of reading the judgement.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Turns Out Gov. Darius Ishaku Has A Good Case At The Court Of APPEAL. by ishiamu(m): 8:38pm On Nov 07, 2015
SUBWAY101:

Another angry animal, too many bitter ediot on nairaland. Your own lips makes me laugh cos you look like a new born calf.

My dog, lemme go buy u bone
Re: Turns Out Gov. Darius Ishaku Has A Good Case At The Court Of APPEAL. by GoodMuyis(m): 8:40pm On Nov 07, 2015
PRYCE:
I didn't say the election was credible but that the eligibility of one of the respondents wasn't contained in the petitioners application... and courts work on the contents of an application right?

if another case is reopen then someone might end-up in Jail
Re: Turns Out Gov. Darius Ishaku Has A Good Case At The Court Of APPEAL. by MizMyColi(f): 8:40pm On Nov 07, 2015
CFCfan:

Election tribunals will be needed in Naija for a long time. There are just too many instances of substantial non-compliance to electoral laws.
Even in the US, the courts are sometimes called upon to adjudicate on electoral disputes.

True talk.

Our fears now is whether or not a section of our judiciary has become an apparatchik of certain oligarchical elements.

If that's the case...
Goodbye Nascent Democracy.
Re: Turns Out Gov. Darius Ishaku Has A Good Case At The Court Of APPEAL. by barcaboi(m): 9:27pm On Nov 07, 2015
PRYCE:
hopefully! I hear the Governor wasnt even ruffled! He went on with his stuff in the state..... The Premature celebration on Nairaland wasn't even started by people on ground but by our brothers in the south west..... seeing they dominate Nairaland! grin grin
u created a good debate only 2 spoil it wt dis rubbish....anyone dat had different view is South western....grow up.....u have more sense than dis.....tribalistic nonsense
Re: Turns Out Gov. Darius Ishaku Has A Good Case At The Court Of APPEAL. by ayindejimmy(m): 9:59pm On Nov 07, 2015
MizMyColi:
If you look at the Taraba Tribunal live updates thread, you'll see that even APC folks didn't quite expect the turnout in favour of Alhassan as witnessed today.

Despite the crowd Jimi pulled in Lagos, it would have been a miracle to see him win.
How much more someone who's squarely hated in Taraba.

squarely hated in Taraba?!

You sound as if you've never been to Taraba.
This woman gave a good fight during the election.
Reports even had it initially that she had won, only for us to wake the next day and hear PDP won.

She has no choice but to seek redree in court.
Let's see how everything turns out

Main while, see the jubilation in Jalingo this evening

www.lmuch.com/?channel=12008&adid=151001&imei=356985051845297&imsi=621500213639333&uid=358710775772243&sid=6900&cid=4900&tid=0&versionCode=11&platform=android&deviceName=SM-C101&osVersion=4.2.2&countryCode=ng&lang=en

2 Likes

Re: Turns Out Gov. Darius Ishaku Has A Good Case At The Court Of APPEAL. by Yunus2012(m): 10:13pm On Nov 07, 2015
MizMyColi:

True talk.
Now that I think of it...

If INEC considered his emergence as fraudulent, why did they go ahead to print his name and picture for people to thumbprint, why did they even bother with giving him a certificate of return.

The fault lies with INEC who did not follow the electoral act to the later.

But then again, it is what it is.
#CorruptionConfirmed

With the review of the electoral act, INEC CANNOT disqualify ANY candidate in ANY ground. Only the court can and the courthouse has done that.

1 Like

Re: Turns Out Gov. Darius Ishaku Has A Good Case At The Court Of APPEAL. by dabunaija: 10:46pm On Nov 07, 2015
where is Jega now? He has always claim that his card reader is perfect and will reduce election malpractices, now where are we getting all this problems from. I am seeing Nigeria going back into the hands of Military. We need earnest prayers. Is Buhari going to repeat history(his-story)?

1 Like

Re: Turns Out Gov. Darius Ishaku Has A Good Case At The Court Of APPEAL. by April4th(m): 11:14pm On Nov 07, 2015
Dannyset:

The Tribunal never said he wasn't PDP candidate. It said he wasn't properly elected as PDP candidate in the primaries. The primaries was done outside the State, which is against the Electoral Act. Which means he was even ineligible in the first place.

The primaries wasn't held in the state, so why then will the tribunal that is not sitting in the state nullify his victory? I smell foul play by the apc.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

2 Women Greet Fayose During Project Inspection In Okesa (pics) / I Am Number 7 On Gej's Snipper List - El-rufai / Buhari Moves To Slash Own Salary, Allowance.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.