Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,786 members, 7,875,961 topics. Date: Sunday, 30 June 2024 at 05:15 AM

Website Needed - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Website Needed (760 Views)

Articles And Content For Website Needed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Website Needed by adollyboy(m): 10:38am On Nov 08, 2015
I need a website for news reporting.Can anybody in the house tell me what it cost to own a website.?I would like to know all the technicalities involved. I will appreciate your comment,suggestions and advise
Re: Website Needed by PROFLOVY(m): 11:58am On Nov 08, 2015
Hi
I can design a website for you at an affordable price. Send me a pm if you are interested.
Re: Website Needed by ediko5(m): 1:30pm On Nov 08, 2015
email me @ umohedikan@yahoo.com
That's if you are really serious about getting a professional website.
Re: Website Needed by boldx(m): 1:36pm On Nov 08, 2015
Check my websites. www.naijahotwire.com and www.wintaysgroup.com
If you need a blog or a website. Call me on 09099447385. With N20,000 its done. Hosting, domain registration and design.
Re: Website Needed by Mayfrank(m): 1:37pm On Nov 08, 2015
adollyboy:
I need a website for news reporting.Can anybody in the house tell me what it cost to own a website.?I would like to know all the technicalities involved. I will appreciate your comment,suggestions and advise

Owning a standard news reporting website would cost you about 10-20k.

Whatsapp me for more info 07014255231
Re: Website Needed by Adesege(m): 2:35pm On Nov 08, 2015
My opinion though,

OP requested for the technicalities involved to own and operate a fully functional website and not those that can build for him.

I think it will be better we change our attitude on this forum for the betterment of all.

Why not offer your service first and if you think there is a need to go extra mile, you can now bargain.
Re: Website Needed by Adesege(m): 2:55pm On Nov 08, 2015
adollyboy:

There are plug and play platforms you can use to get started immediately. WordPress is a popular content management system which allows installation of themes and plugins to customize the UX of your website. It is also intuitive.

Joomla is another one. While I've tried to understand WordPress several times, I've never got to understand how joomla operate. Joomla is powerful and it can be used to build virtually anything. Most education websites in Nigeria use Joomla for the management of their web presence.

Some online print media uses Wordpress. Vanguard, Punch are the ones I can mention.

If you are thinking of getting started quickly, I will recommend WordPress.

How to get started:

All websites have a web host and domain name. Just as I always explain to my students, a webhost is like a piece of land while a domain name is like a house number. Structures on the land are the web pages. A house number points to a particular land/house. So also is a domain name, it points to your website on the internet. While the piece of land houses the structures, so also does a webhost houses web pages.

There are handful of domain name registrar on the net and web hosting service provider. If you have one you use, you can proceed to registering your domain name with them and buying a host space. If not, let me know so I can recommend the one I use.

There are some things to consider when buying a host space; bandwidth, disk space, server uptime, customer support, money back guarantee, intuitiveness, are among them. Do not consider a web host of N5,000 with 100gb bandwidth and 10gb disk space to be cheap. That's very expensive. You can get unlimited bandwidth and 100gb disk space at the same price. All for a year.

Register your domain and link your domain name to your web host. Some platforms does this automatically, while some takes 30 minutes for the DNS to propagate when done manually.

Download the latest WordPress version from www.wordpress.org if your web host does not have the latest version of WordPress on their server.

There are two ways of doing this, which I will take the pains to explain.

You can install WordPress directly from your web host using the script installer.

Login to your cpanel via www.yourdomain.com/cpanel, look for the script installer tab and click on Wordpress. The next processes are concise.

Or

You can alternatively upload a version of WordPress you have on your computer through file manager or ftp. This is important if you've worked on it locally. I will recommend file manager. If you want to use ftp, connecting your Adobe Dreamweaver to your web host will be the best option.

I will explain how to use file manager.

Zip your WordPress file, this is easier to upload than uploading one file at a time.

Click on file manager from your cpanel, you will be taken[img][/img] sad to your site root directory; public_html, htdocs, or www depending on your web host.

By default, you should have some files in your root directory if you bought a new web host. Delete these files as they are not important. Also, it can cause a clash when you have index.html and index.php in the same directory.

Click on upload, a new tab will be opened. Click on the browse button and select the zipped WordPress file. Your upload should start immediately. Depending on your network speed, it should take a moment to upload.

After the file has been uploaded, go back to your root directory and refresh the page. You should see the uploaded WordPress file there. Click on it and click on Uncompress link at the menu tab. The uncompress will take few seconds to finish.

Once that's done, you can access your website and WordPress will take you through the installation process.

There are still more to it, but wherever you get stuck, let me know and I will start from there.

Getting a good theme and customizing it to fit your brand is the next thing.

I'm a not CMS developer, I will advice you get the service of a good WordPress developer to help you.

I build programs from scratch. Though I've tried making WordPress a part of me, but it doesn't seem so.

Let me know if this is helpful.

Regards,
Adesege.
Re: Website Needed by ediko5(m): 6:49pm On Nov 08, 2015
Adesege:
My opinion though,

OP requested for the technicalities involved to own and operate a fully functional website and not those that can build for him.

I think it will be better we change our attitude on this forum for the betterment of all.

Why not offer your service first and if you think there is a need to go extra mile, you can now bargain.

His topic is different from the body of the post
Re: Website Needed by ediko5(m): 6:52pm On Nov 08, 2015
Mayfrank:

Owning a standard news reporting website would cost you about 10-20k.

Whatsapp me for more info 07014255231

Quack!
10-20k.
if the OP ask for a custom design will you even know where to start. because you know how to edit a CMS theme, that's why you look down on web development
Re: Website Needed by Mayfrank(m): 7:05pm On Nov 08, 2015
ediko5:

Quack!
10-20k.
if the OP ask for a custom design will you even know where to start. because you know how to edit a CMS theme, that's why you look down on web development

Dude.. for your info I dont look down on web development, i just chose to edit cms because manipulation is much cooler to me. besides did I say I was gonna do it for him. I just gave him an estimate of the cost he should expect.

As your head dey boil since morning, my advice for you is that you should jump into d Nile n cool off.

mtchew... immature webmaster feeling high undecided
Re: Website Needed by ediko5(m): 7:49pm On Nov 08, 2015
Mayfrank:

Dude.. for your info I dont look down on web development, i just chose to edit cms because manipulation is much cooler to me. besides did I say I was gonna do it for him. I just gave him an estimate of the cost he should expect.

As your head dey boil since morning, my advice for you is that you should jump into d Nile n cool off.

mtchew... immature webmaster feeling high undecided

Trouble maker!

(1) (Reply)

MTN Uganda Fined $662,000 For Sabotaging Buisness. / How Reliable Is NGE E-voucher? / That Million-dollar-idea

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.