Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,168 members, 7,939,700 topics. Date: Wednesday, 04 September 2024 at 10:37 AM

Gender Inequality: Was Feminism Just a Fad? - Nairaland / General (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Gender Inequality: Was Feminism Just a Fad? (8851 Views)

Nairaland's Newest Fad: Team End-time / Feminism - Why Women In General (especially Black Women) Have Been Duped By It!! / Gender Inequality ("Men Always Like To Be Domineering") (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Gender Inequality: Was Feminism Just a Fad? by WesleyanA(f): 5:23am On Nov 13, 2005
Well, you have to work hard to overcome any disadvantage in life... the reality is that when soccer started, more men were playing it than women, so it has had more time to become popular and gain broader support. I maintain that it's pointless funding a sport that doesn't have support in the name of gender equality.
That's why there are feminists. they are working hard to better the condition of women in society.
actually when soccer started,  women weren't allowed to play any sport at all. the condition of women was overwhelmingly TERRIBLE then. they weren't allowed in theatres either!.

now that they can now play the sport. it's our role and the men's role to help bring it up.

And this is the fundamental disagreement between us. You think that most important factor in getting people to take an interest in a sport is showing more of it. On the other hand, I believe that this is not as important, and even if it were, it is unrealistic to expect commercial stations to show something that isn't guaranteed to make them any money in the short to medium term.

so you think TV stations just show commercials just pick commercials like food? no! if you want to promote your product, you pay the station, and they show your commercial.
if a certain sport want to show a commercial. they pay the station money and they show it! now where do this money come from? is what you should be asking.
men's sports get all the funding and women's sports get little.

Well, everybody discriminates. For me, the problem is when the discrimination leads directly and unavoidably to a very significant drop in the quality of life of another human being. On the other hand, if I happen to prefer being treated by female nurses than male nurses, that's very acceptable, as nobody is being put at a significant disadvantage as a result of my preference.

see, your problem is -- you don't want to share. you want 100% for men and 0% for women.. .  significant drop in the quality of life for men? do you get what i mean by equality? 50%-50% or something approximate to that!!!!!
gosh. .

Now I laughed when I read that.

i take that as a compliment. thanks

So who should do the supporting? The government? Does the government support men's soccer?

yes the government does support sports (esp. male soccer).

When you say 'why can't one support', who exactly are you referring to here?
i'm refering to everyone. male and female.
men's soccer have more than enough support. it doesn't hurt to give the females a little if not as much as the male gets. but things don't happen overnight so i'll have to say the condition is improving.
gone are the days women weren't even allowed to participate in any sport at all.

yeah, but I wouldn't get stuck on it. I'd move on and look for something else...
what if you badly want that specific job? then you'll be forced to work in a job you didn't like. see what i mean?

I agree that is it much more difficult for women to get good jobs than men. But let me ask you - how would you go about correcting the situation?

oh so you agree? so why are you arguing with me about inequality then. you agree there is gender inequality!
what i'm doing about the situation? trying to convince men that there is gender inequality. because some don't believe there is rolleyes . .  . trying to convince them to support the feminist cause. to help us help ourselves.. . .  that's about what i can do for now.
i'll like all those men who make their wives victims of domestic abuse to end up behind bars  tongue

I could respond to this, but I'm going to let it slide because it would take this thread off topic.

oh gosh. if only you knew how much i have to say about it also.

That's why it's advice - you're not compelled to take it.
only a fool would be told to pick so so to be his/her role model and nod like a dummy in agreement. .
a role model is someone that inspires an individual and it's kind of lame of you to advice someone who his role model should be. i hope you wouldn't do that to your kids when you grow up to have some.

I'm very mystified at your tendency to attribute to me things that I haven't said. Are you sure you're reading this thread and not some other thread elsewhere? 
why i can't compare racial discrimination and gender discrimination.

if you discriminate on basis of sex and gender, what makes me think you can't discriminate on basis of race?
Re: Gender Inequality: Was Feminism Just a Fad? by damygurl(f): 5:31am On Nov 13, 2005
Aight diz thread waz about is feminist just a fad so i'm gon say it's not!!!!! i'm a feminist in a sense and there r other feminist!!! Women may not be quite equal to men, but the principle of equality has been widely accepted and liberation is only a matter of waiting. We are allowed to vote, to drink in pubs and to work outside marriage. Our right to an equal education system and an equal workplace is enshrined in law. We have a women president.

we r not we used to be!! we've grown and we r still growing!!!!!!! we rock!!!!!!!4eva!!!!!!!!
Re: Gender Inequality: Was Feminism Just a Fad? by WesleyanA(f): 5:40am On Nov 13, 2005
"We have seen an increase in the number of females in the sporting arena recently. However, more could be done to ensure that females in the sports arena receive equal attention and opportunities as compared to the males.
A recent survey done showed that only 5.0% of the televised sports covered on women sports. In print media, a study on 4 major newspapers also found that less than 5.0% of sports stories are on women.
According to Donna Lopiano, PhD, male athletes received US$179 million more in athletic scholarships each year than their female counterparts. In our point of view, more funds could be channelled to develop potential sports women.
As Mariah Burton Nelson's book, The Stronger Women Get, the More Men Love Football suggests, women are being put down or seem are poorer counterparts in terms of sporting talents.
Because of all these, today the world perceives that women are not as capable or talented as men in terms of sporting ability. However, if we do not give them a chance, women are not able to prove their ability. Thus, more could be done to ensure gender equity in sports."
-- culled from a website.

ka, also take a look at this link. it's infested with pop ups but what can a woman do. it's a Nigerian site.
it discusses the issue of Nigerian women and sports.

http://www.onlinenigeria.com/links/adv.asp?blurb=625

besides sports is not the only area where gender inequality manifests itself. there are tons of other areas.
Re: Gender Inequality: Was Feminism Just a Fad? by Ka: 5:59am On Nov 13, 2005
That's why there are feminists. they are working hard to better the condition of women in society.
actually when soccer started,  women weren't allowed to play any sport at all. the condition of women was overwhelmingly TERRIBLE then. they weren't allowed in theatres either!.

now that they can now play the sport. it's our role and the men's role to help bring it up.

I don't know enough about the history of soccer to comment on this. But anyone who has done work to remove the legal barriers to women playing soccer deserves to be commended.

Please note that I make a distinction between people being barred for no legitimate reason from doing something that they want to do and are able to do, and people not being able to do something because they do not have the co-operation of other people who do not wish to co-operate (for whatever reason). I'm strongly against any situation where any group that is forced - yes, forced - to do something that they don't want to do, or forced not to do something they want to do.

so you think TV stations just show commercials just pick commercials like food? no! if you want to promote your product, you pay the station, and they show your commercial.
if a certain sport want to show a commercial. they pay the station money and they show it! now where do this money come from? is what you should be asking.
men's sports get all the funding and women's sports get little.

TV stations will show sports that they thing lots of people will watch and they will be able to make lots of money on from advertising (the more people watch an ad, the more the advertiser can charge). Presumably, TV stations don't feel that enough people watch women's soccer to justify charging companies lots of money to advertise... at least, not as much as they might charge for a men's soccer match.

see, your problem is -- you don't want to share. you want 100% for men and 0% for women.. .  significant drop in the quality of life for men? do you get what i mean by equality? 50%-50% or something approximate to that!!!!!
gosh. .

There you go, attributing to me what I haven't said. Did you read this in my last post?

Exactly. And I'm saying that in changing the condition, they should be looking out for a win-win situation, where everyone is happy, or at least where nobody is unhappy.

yes the government does support sports (esp. male soccer).

I thought that competitive soccer was a commercial concern. Certainly in the Europe, the government involvement is minimal and restricted to administration.

i'm refering to everyone. male and female.
men's soccer have more than enough support. it doesn't hurt to give the females a little if not as much as the male gets. but things don't happen overnight so i'll have to say the condition is improving.
gone are the days women weren't even allowed to participate in any sport at all.

I don't have a problem lending my support against legal restrictions or arbitrary rules restricting women's freedoms to play soccer. Is there any other kind of support you feel that the individual should offer to women's soccer?

what if you badly want that specific job? then you'll be forced to work in a job you didn't like. see what i mean?

Well, I'm a gradualist. I don't believe that it is likely that I will get what I want on day one - in fact, sometimes it may not even be a good idea. Yes, I would work in a job I don't like - in fact, ten years ago I was working in a job I hated. But I used the experience, contacts, etc. that I got in that job to move on to something else, and today I'm doing something I enjoy and that pays well.

oh so you agree? so why are you arguing with me about inequality then. you agree there is gender inequality!
what i'm doing about the situation? trying to convince men that there is gender inequality. because some don't believe there is  . .  . trying to convince them to support the feminist cause. to help us help ourselves.. . .  that's about what i can do for now.
i'll like all those men who make their wives victims of domestic abuse to end up behind bars

I didn't say there wasn't a difference in how easy it was to get positions. What I was questioning was whether in some cases this was necessarily a bad thing. Of course in the case of getting employment (that has a direct effect on someone's material well being), I cannot argue against opening up opportunities for employment.

Out of curiosity, how much success have you met in convincing men of this fact? Do you try to convince them with facts, or do you appeal to emotions?

a role model is someone that inspires an individual and it's kind of lame of you to advice someone who his role model should be. i hope you wouldn't do that to your kids when you grow up to have some.

Actually, you're right - I don't know enough about your life, so it was wrong for me to presume to advise you, and I apologise if you took offence. But if I see that my children have a particular interest, I don't see any harm in pointing out someone who has pursued that interest as someone they might be inspired by.

why i can't compare racial discrimination and gender discrimination.

if you discriminate on basis of sex and gender, what makes me think you can't discriminate on basis of race?

Well, I did say previously we all discriminate... but I don't hold with the view that one gender is superior to another gender (as a racist would hold to a view that one race is superior to another race). If you think I have expressed this view, I would appreciate it if you could show me where I have done so.
Re: Gender Inequality: Was Feminism Just a Fad? by WesleyanA(f): 6:22am On Nov 13, 2005
Ka:

I don't know enough about the history of soccer to comment on this. But anyone who has done work to remove the legal barriers to women playing soccer deserves to be commended.

I'm strongly against any situation where any group that is forced - yes, forced - to do something that they don't want to do, or forced not to do something they want to do.

Out of curiosity, how much success have you met in convincing men of this fact? Do you try to convince them with facts, or do you appeal to emotions?

Actually, you're right - I don't know enough about your life, so it was wrong for me to presume to advise you, and I apologise if you took offence. But if I see that my children have a particular interest, I don't see any harm in pointing out someone who has pursued that interest as someone they might be inspired by.

Well, I did say previously we all discriminate... but I don't hold with the view that one gender is superior to another gender (as a racist would hold to a view that one race is superior to another race). If you think I have expressed this view, I would appreciate it if you could show me where I have done so.

No one person did the work of removing legal barries to women getting involved in sports.
I'll have to say that's what women are fighting for. removing legal (illegal in some cases) barriers that are agaisnt them in society.
they did that and trust me they'll do more.
it takes time and effort though.

you keep emphasizing the word "force" like i'm threatning you with it!
no one's forcing anyone to do what they don't want to do.
if you take showing a girl's soccer match on tv as forcing the viewers to watch then you need help. some people don't like to watch soccer. are they being forced to watch it? NO. it's a free world. don't watch it if you hate it!
but trust me there are a few who actually hate girl's soccer (misogynists).
how much success have i had? same as you have had in convincing me that there's no gender inequality in sports!
it's tough being a feminist. and i commend those active feminists of the 1920's who worked to get the vote for women. it was a difficult job but they pulled it through!

still, i'll repeat you can't decide who someone's role model should be. you shouldn't be "advicing" kids who they should be inspired by. it doesn't matter if you know what their interests are. you can teach them about certain people and make them seem like heroes buts it's your kid who will decide for themselves if they want to be like the character or not!
you'll make a terrible councellor. seriously.

you don't have to agree to be superior to females to be a discriminator.
if you understand that there's gender discrimination and you argue for it. it makes you one indirectly.
if you have bias against one or favor one person over another because of gender, it's discrimination.
Re: Gender Inequality: Was Feminism Just a Fad? by WesleyanA(f): 6:23am On Nov 13, 2005
there is gender inequality in sports. take it or leave it. it's the fact!!!
Re: Gender Inequality: Was Feminism Just a Fad? by Ka: 6:58am On Nov 13, 2005
you keep emphasizing the word "force" like i'm threatning you with it!
no one's forcing anyone to do what they don't want to do.
if you take showing a girl's soccer match on tv as forcing the viewers to watch then you need help. some people don't like to watch soccer. are they being forced to watch it? NO. it's a free world. don't watch it if you hate it!

You really do seem to favour the strawman style of argument. I haven't said anything about showing a girl's soccer match being the same as forcing viewers to watch, so I have no idea where you got that from.

However, there is the issue of how to get the match shown in the first place. Do you force the networks to show it? Or get the government to pay for the matches to be shown?

how much success have i had? same as you have had in convincing me that there's no gender inequality in sports!

So not a lot, then.

still, i'll repeat you can't decide who someone's role model should be. you shouldn't be "advicing" kids who they should be inspired by. it doesn't matter if you know what their interests are. you can teach them about certain people and make them seem like heroes buts it's your kid who will decide for themselves if they want to be like the character or not!
you'll make a terrible councellor. seriously.

<Sigh> I hope you don't always conduct your arguments like this, reading what you want to read instead of what I've written. I said:

But if I see that my children have a particular interest, I don't see any harm in pointing out someone who has pursued that interest as someone they might be inspired by.

How on earth does that equate to deciding (as you've written) that this should be someone's role model? Did you see the word 'might' in the phrase 'might be inspired'? That means even I don't know for sure that they would adopt that person as a role model. Or does pointing out someone mean that I am compelling my child to adopt the person as a role model?

Oh yes, I would tell my children about people who I think they might benefit from and be inspired by based on my understanding of their interests, in the same way I would give advice to someone whose interests I was certain of. If you think that's terrible counselling, then I guess we have a different understanding of the meaning of the word.

you don't have to agree to be superior to females to be a discriminator.
if you understand that there's gender discrimination and you argue for it. it makes you one indirectly.
if you have bias against one or favor one person over another because of gender, it's discrimination.

I've never argued that I'm not a discriminator - as I said, everyone discriminates on all sorts of basis. What you haven't shown me is where I said that men are superior to women in the same way that a racist would say that blacks are superior to whites. And I asked you to show me, because you were comparing my attitude to that of a racist.
Re: Gender Inequality: Was Feminism Just a Fad? by WesleyanA(f): 7:06am On Nov 13, 2005
gosh. have you seen the link i gave you? you're making unnecessary arguments that has nothing to do with the topic.

can you explain how i'm forcing you to watch girls' matches. you just keep saying it like i'm threatning you or something!

you still can't advice people who their role model should be.

can you stick to giving me proove that there isn't gender inequality in sports? undecided instead of beating about the bush?
Re: Gender Inequality: Was Feminism Just a Fad? by Seun(m): 12:15pm On Nov 13, 2005
WesleyanA: What you probably don't realize:
- If Ka was not on your side, he would not even bother to read the topic.
- There are only two female feminists on this forum - you and damygurl!
Re: Gender Inequality: Was Feminism Just a Fad? by queenT2(f): 12:17pm On Nov 13, 2005
me too embarassed embarassed cry cry cry
Re: Gender Inequality: Was Feminism Just a Fad? by Ka: 3:40pm On Nov 13, 2005
WesleyanA,

It's difficult to debate the issue of gender inequality with you, because nowhere in your argument have you given a concise definition of what you mean by the term - your argument has shifted all over the place. Does it mean a situation where equal numbers of men and women are employed in a profession? Does it mean a situation where exactly the same numbers of men and women are engaged in a particular leisure pursuit? Does it mean a situation where men and women are getting exactly the same pay, support and opportunities? Is it realistic to aim for this, given that men and women have different abilities and desires?

It hasn't helped that throughout this discussion, you've continuously attributed to me things I haven't said (like this latest statement about me being forced to watch matches). It's almost as though because I haven't agreed with everything you've said, you taken to characterising me as a woman-hating person, and everything I have said has been interpreted with that view in mind.

Anyway, the whole discussion has been centered around sport because those are the two examples you chose to bring up. Personally, I am less interested in vague notions of 'gender inequality' (whatever that might be). I'm more interested in ensuring that all individuals are not forcibly prevented from doing things that they want to do, and are not forced to do things they don't want to do. This is especially if allowing them to do or not to do what they want doesn't cause direct material harm to another person. I'm not interested in ensuring that everyone is equal - I'm more interested in ensuring that everyone is happy.

Seun,

Do let me know if you are able to find out what gender inequality is, will you? I'm doubtful I'm going to find out in this thread. undecided
Re: Gender Inequality: Was Feminism Just a Fad? by WesleyanA(f): 9:57pm On Nov 13, 2005
Ka, i'm surprised you jumped into a long arguement with me without even understanding the term "gender equaltiy"..  . you don't know what it is and you're arguing against it.
you should have asked and i'll be more than glad to give you the definition.

"I'm not interested in ensuring that everyone is equal - I'm more interested in ensuring that everyone is happy."

you definitely wouldn't be making this statement if you were female. there's no way everyone can be happy when there's no equality.
as Nferyn pointed out earlier in one of his posts: "There is a very strong correlation between the level of gender equality and the human development index". the nations with higer levels of gender equality have higher human development index and african nations that lag behind in gender equality tend to have lower development index.

you've continuously attributed to me things I haven't said (like this latest statement about me being forced to watch matches).

i can make out from every single one of your posts including your last one ('im more interested in ensuring that all individuals are not forcibly prevented from doing things that they want to do, and are not forced to do things they don't want to do. )
instances where you make coments about me trying to force people to watch women's sports or making people do what they don't want to do!.. . .
i asked you "can you pin point to me exactly where i said the use of force is what gender equality is about?". you didn't answer the question insead you keep posting "force" like i'm threatning you with it.

you brought it into the arguement not me!

i used  sport as an anecdote to show a good example of "gender equality" and you completely elaboratred on it.
my point: the whole arguement between me and you have been centered around sport because you choose to argue about it when i stated is as just an example of gender equality.
You were actually arguing over a fact that is prooven true (i gave you a link to look at about gender inequality in Nigerian sports before arguing with me but you choose not to look at it so why blame me?). . . .
Re: Gender Inequality: Was Feminism Just a Fad? by WesleyanA(f): 10:11pm On Nov 13, 2005
What is Gender Equality:

"Gender equality means that women and men have equal conditions for realizing their full human rights and potential to contribute to national political, economic, social and cultural development and benefit equally from the results. Equality is essential for human development and peace."

Source: Setting the Stage for the Next Century: The Federal Plan for Gender Equality, Status of Women Canada 1995.

"Gender equality requires equal enjoyment by women and men of socially-valued goods, opportunities, resources and rewards. Gender equality does not mean that men and women become the same, but that their opportunities and life chances are equal."

Source: OECD - DAC (Development Assistance Committee) Guidelines for Gender Equality and Women's Empowerment in Development Co-Operation, Development Co-operation Guidelines Series, OECD, 1998.

In short, gender equality means that women and men enjoy the same status. Because of the current situation of inequality, it cannot be achieved without the empowerment of women. Both equality and empowerment are necessary to achieve political, social, economic, cultural and environmental security

Both men and women have a stake in building a more just society where all people are equally valued for their contributions. Yet, gender equality has often been seen as a 'women's issue' separate from men and 'gender' often been confused to mean women only. This is part of a tendency to consider men's characteristics as the norm and women's characteristics as different from the norm. Yet, both women and men are influenced by their gender and thus, ideas about the status of women are interrelated with ideas about the status of men. In short, change for women means change for men and vice versa.

The World Bank has estimated that for each additional year of schooling a woman's income increases by 10-20%, agricultural productivity increases by 10%, infant mortality drops by 10%, and the return on investment in deferred health care expenses is 25%. More education for girls means smaller, healthier families. In short, investing in education empowers girls and women to have greater control over their lives and is the single highest-yielding investment that a developing country can make. Yet, one out of five, or 130 million, children around the world ages 6 - 11 are not in school. Of these, 73 million are girls; this means that 2 out of every 3 children not in school are female. (UNICEF, 2000).

In short, reducing poverty and working for sustainable development requires partnerships between women and men in the pursuit of a more secure, equitable and prosperous world.
Re: Gender Inequality: Was Feminism Just a Fad? by damygurl(f): 1:58am On Nov 15, 2005
Seun:

And ur point is?!!!!!
Re: Gender Inequality: Was Feminism Just a Fad? by Seun(m): 2:06am On Nov 15, 2005
Maybe the other women don't care.
Re: Gender Inequality: Was Feminism Just a Fad? by damygurl(f): 2:14am On Nov 15, 2005
u bet ur...they don't. not everybody wanna use their time on somefin like this when they know it's not gon yield notin. now i Know u gon get diz mixed up so i will explain. i'm not sayin d fight 4 equality is a waste of time though sometimes it looks like dat but trust me it's gon change newayz wat i'm sayin is not alot f people wanna use their time to argue with peeps who just don't get it!!!!!!
Re: Gender Inequality: Was Feminism Just a Fad? by Seun(m): 7:08pm On Nov 15, 2005
No, i think they just don't care. Our finance minister is a woman - the most coveted post in a corruption-ridden country. The education minister is a woman. The Vice-chancellor (Chief Executive) of the country's highest rated private university is a woman. And it doesn't stop there - in the NGO sector, women are at the forefront of efforts to make the society better. Maybe the other women are simply satisfied with their status in the society. if they are satisfied, why disturb them with ideas that they are not ready to fight for?
Re: Gender Inequality: Was Feminism Just a Fad? by IAH(f): 7:39pm On Nov 15, 2005
Damygurl has said it all. Arguing with men on gender inequality is not going to make us Ministers, Vice-chancellors,etc. We just need ACTION! I could sit here and type till tomorrow, that doesn't change the status you suppose I'm satisfied with. But if I work hard, you'll soon be mentioning my name among those big women. Watch out! cool
Re: Gender Inequality: Was Feminism Just a Fad? by Seun(m): 8:24pm On Nov 15, 2005
And when you become the finance minister, the other women will ask the male president kick you out of office because you 'need a make-over'.
Re: Gender Inequality: Was Feminism Just a Fad? by sage(m): 9:12pm On Nov 15, 2005
I wish women's rights would be fully recognized but unfortunately in the present world that we live in, i am tempted to believe what one man said on T.V .......... There can not be gender equality ever, but women empowerment up to the highest level. He was saying that women would never be equal to men but that women can be empowered to reach up to very high levels and in a way i feel he is right. Many men would simply not want women to express there rights and the other men who through one side of there mouth say that they support gender equality and that women should stop accepting whatever men dish out to them are the same men that use old age stereotypes 4 women. It is an unfortunate situation.

This meaning women can be giving opportunities in politics, etc even up o the highest level but on most social issues, they are given simple steroetypes by the very same men who claim they want gender equality.

Just maybe Men and women are not equal............? Let the guns begin exploding........................ comments welcome
Re: Gender Inequality: Was Feminism Just a Fad? by WesleyanA(f): 10:24pm On Nov 15, 2005
Seun:

No, i think they just don't care. Our finance minister is a woman - the most coveted post in a corruption-ridden country. The education minister is a woman. The Vice-chancellor (Chief Executive) of the country's highest rated private university is a woman. And it doesn't stop there - in the NGO sector, women are at the forefront of efforts to make the society better. Maybe the other women are simply satisfied with their status in the society. if they are satisfied, why disturb them with ideas that they are not ready to fight for?

Trust me, they do care. It's just that some of them have been brought up to believe that women don't have a plave in society and think that they are lucky they are breathing or alive.

Actually those women you mentioned are probably women that have been educated or been abroad. their eyes are open and they think "wait a minute, a woman can be a finance minister too". and they go for it. see some women don't think like that. that's why the men have to collaborate. send their girls to school and teach them to be leaders instead of the followers they are brought up to think of themselves as.

Also, in the past time, the pioneer feminists had been daughters of wealthy politicians and what not. they were educated unlike most girls and made good use of what they got by teaching other women to get education. they fought for the rights of women because they looked at themselves and saw the condition of other women.

Those people you mentioned i will call feminists. they have challenged the idea that women are physically and intellectually unfitted for any useful activity outside the home or in areas of politics e.t.c. Now the other women will look up to them and gain more confidence in themselves.

There are increasing numbers of females in the professions now. That's a good sign but it's just that the numbers aren't as significant in some countries as others.
Re: Gender Inequality: Was Feminism Just a Fad? by Nobody: 3:59pm On Jan 02, 2006
Seun:

WesleyanA: What you probably don't realize:
- If Ka was not on your side, he would not even bother to read the topic.
sorry baby but you got it wrong.
some people ask me why i hate the bible so much and when I tell them that I don't support the way women are being treated and described, all they do is to give stupid justifications like "that is the way the world was created"
what the hell does that mean? I just think that any sexist acts like that because of fear. Yes! men are afraid they might lose their credibility if women are allowed to show what they can. what do you do when you don't want someone to become more than you? you simply destroy the person's confidence by telling the person continuously that s/he is a failure. why is it that some women think that it's their duty to cook? simple because that's what they were told and taught right from their childhood. so the fact that there are women who aren't able to fight against this gender inequality is because they grew up in a patriarchal society, where men do some kind of brainwash on the women to make them believe is the best. some even use religion as a means of "mental slavery" for the women. What do Islam people say to justify FGM, they say they do it in the name of Islam and to reduce the promiscuity of women. And in the bible (if what is written is really the truth) why must all women be condemned just because of the sin of only one? didn't dam sin as well? didn't the bible say that in front of god all sins are the same so all sinners should be judged equally? so why is it that Adam didn't receive any severe punishment?
Re: Gender Inequality: Was Feminism Just a Fad? by fayahsoul: 5:16pm On Mar 27, 2009
We need to first overstand the impact that colonialism, christianity/islam and capitalism has had on traditional Alkebulan(or so-called african) society.

In pre-colonial times women were treated far more equitably and honourably. Women had political and economic power that was more or less in par with that of males. Women were influential; they served as chiefs, warriors, empresses and held other important positions of authority. Women were part of the divine preisthood who served as intercessors between the people and the Gods/Goddesses/ancestors. Women had equal access to communal lands which conferred the possibility of social mobility and economic empowerment. Some societies in Alkebulan were matriarchal, tracing lineage and entitlements to inheritance through the mothers' family. Monuments, liberal arts, literature and all powerful deities were dedicated to the divine feminine principal(see ancient Kemet/egypt for some of the most elaborate forms of these expressions)

All this was destroyed when Colonialism introduced the masculine ideology of patriachy which drastically re-defined our traditional identities, values, high morals and norms, all of which elevated women to their rightful place in society. Patrimonial political systems were established where patrons whom personalized the state bureaucracy and privatized national resources bought clients over whom in turn organized support from the masses.

Capitalism imposed the commercialization of farm lands which were transformed from communal lands to private lands and ownership were transfered solely to men. This disadvantaged women and reduced their economic power markedly.The introduction of legal tender/money through taxable cash cropping systems further strenghtened the "male-bread-winner" family code system and, in the proces, female right to employment equity was relegated to the back seat.

Then christianity/islam introduced belief systems that indoctrinated the alkebulanite on the inherent inferiority of women. These religions acknowlegde God the father, God the Son but not God the mother. The supreme position of the divine female principle is denied. Women are banned from preisthood. Women are said to have been made from just one rib in the male despite her genetic superiority. Women in alkebulan identify with, and are devoted to, religions that teach male superiority over wombmen/women.

So my dear sistas, as you can see , the black male is not your enemy. Know your enemy. Your hatred for the oppressor must be externalized not internalized. Be mad at your religion and those white/arab devils who imposed them on your ancestors, Be furious at this universalized liberal market systems that is governed by neo-liberal policies which are anti-woman enpowerment in essence. The white/arab male's enmity toward the feminine principle is genetic and has a long savage history that goes way back to the caves and hills of the caucasus mountians where their females were brutalized in every way imaginable. That's also why white females have a pressing psychological need for liberation.

But as usual these devils have dragged our sistas into their madness and savagery.

My sistas, you must resist being manipulated and used as an instrument of confusion and destruction in our families, and by extension, our communities and nation. Wake up sista, love thy self and join in our collective uncompromising fight against these foreign ideologies and models.

It's all about our right to self-determination.

Re: Gender Inequality: Was Feminism Just a Fad? by Nobody: 4:50pm On Sep 20, 2012
Them don dey moveeee.....

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Snow In Africa (pics) / How Can I Get My Bvn Print Out? / Do You Have A US Bank Account Or Credit Card For Loading?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 139
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.