Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,172,442 members, 7,884,973 topics. Date: Tuesday, 09 July 2024 at 07:21 PM

Best Way to Punish Kids? - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Best Way to Punish Kids? (31752 Views)

Wife Hangs Herself And Two Children To Punish Cheating Husband (photo) / How Do You Punish Your Teenage Girls When They Misbehave? / How Do You Punish Your Children? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Best Way to Punish Kids? by Rhodalyn(f): 10:39am On Feb 17, 2006
dis thread makes me laugh
why do u wnt 2 punish da poor kids wink
Re: Best Way to Punish Kids? by allonym: 10:41am On Feb 17, 2006
you are not punishing poor kids, you are punishing bad kids.

One aspect of engineering which appears in almost every other field is Controls. Control theory dictates how most things work from robots to the economy.

All stable controllers utilize negative feedback.

Spanking a child is negative feedback. It is a correction which causes them to modify their behavior towards what you want. Essentially, it is a means of controlling your child.
Re: Best Way to Punish Kids? by Rhodalyn(f): 10:43am On Feb 17, 2006
whteva
Re: Best Way to Punish Kids? by Softee(f): 9:41pm On Apr 15, 2006
Parents!! heres a little tip for you:

When i was a child i found that when my mum deprived me of something i really liked doing (going out, computer, tv) this really annoyed me and made me think twice about being naughty. This even worked at the start of my teens but being 15 now i have grown out of bad behaviour, at least i like to think! (I'm sure my mum will dissagree!)
Re: Best Way to Punish Kids? by Zahymaka(m): 12:11am On Apr 19, 2006
Not everyone responds to punishment the same way. Sometimes just a word is enough to get the child thinking. Punishing too often however, makes the child get used to it.

If you don't explain to the child why he/she's being punished he/she might assume you hate him/her -- and you know where it goes from there.
Re: Best Way to Punish Kids? by Seun(m): 1:17am On Apr 19, 2006
i don't like it when small children are tortured for what they don't understand. Several mornings i'm woken up with the noise of a child crying "mummy please, muimmy please" and "twap, twap twap". If beating works so well how come you have to beat them so often.

Beating a child is a short-cut approach that won't work when the child is old enough to beat you up (15 years for a boy, never for a girl unless she's really large). It's better to give the child a compelling reason to be respectful and obedient. Force is something for policemen and soldiers, not parents, to use.
Re: Best Way to Punish Kids? by mamaput(f): 6:38pm On Apr 19, 2006
I don't punish my kids i keep telling them they are grounded but i don't mean it.
If they do wrong I they know they did wrong.
I let them know i know and i let them know why I don't want them doing it (what ever).
Thats it-
If my big girl gos to a club. I do not just tell her don't go because i said so.
I have to tell her why i don't want her to go.
And if she still goes She will also explain why she still went. And how she got home.
And as she is telling her story i will ask questions that make her look stupid.

Eg How did you get there , how did you come home what if some one had raped you at the junction.
How old was the driver how many drinks did he have.
Re: Best Way to Punish Kids? by Softee(f): 11:44pm On Apr 19, 2006
Nwoke,

Some children need a good slapping to get them in line. I do not believe in hitting your kids to the extent where you do bodily harm but a good slap is sometimes what they need. All this rubbish that 'child experts' talk about sitting them on an imaginary naughty step, O please!! the child needs a whooping!!! Then they will know not to hit mummy or embarrass mummy while shopping. If you explain to the child why mummy just smacked them, they will know not to do it again.

Besides, even the Bible says:

Proverbs 23:13
Withhold not correction from the child: for if thou beatest him with the rod, he shall not die.
Re: Best Way to Punish Kids? by Grizzly(m): 4:14am On Apr 20, 2006
KOBOKO for laif,
Re: Best Way to Punish Kids? by Nobody: 1:10pm On Apr 23, 2006
@ Seun I have just come to the conclusion that u so naive that u don't even know it. someone gave u an example from desperate housewives u said that can't be cited because it is fiction but u went on to tell us about a book. A book on parenting shocked any psychologist worth his onions will tell u that u can't write a book on that subject ( I am sure some have but i don't intend to be reading any book on how to parent my child). I come from a very large family with different individuals. As a child i only responded to two things 1 i hated seeing my mum upset and she used that to good effect (in ur books that would be emotional blackmail ) and 2 Smacking: I believe that i am the balanced and well adjusted yoruba and nigerian raised woman that i am because of my parents and their approach to discipline. (Nothing like the nigerian women u described in ur responses). My sister on the other hand responded only to words and to this day i know for a fact that my sister was never smacked by either of our parents. Kids are human beings and like all human beings need to have and know their boundaries. U can't treat kids like adults because they are kids but u can't treat them like they are stupid either because they are not. Raising a child should include the use of positive and negative reinforcements give praise when due, correct with words when u need to and use physical means if u have to as long as it is not done in anger or done solely to inflict pain, a child can tell either way.
Re: Best Way to Punish Kids? by eveseh(f): 8:02pm On Apr 27, 2006
dont let them watch tv for 1 week
Re: Best Way to Punish Kids? by Zahymaka(m): 8:47pm On Apr 27, 2006
eveseh:

don't let them watch tv for 1 week

That's one thing that definitely won't bug me -- I hate television. Restricting access to a computer is what'll strike me.
Re: Best Way to Punish Kids? by Rhodalyn(f): 8:50pm On Apr 27, 2006
ohhh!!!!!!!! i see so U're a kid ZAh how interesting to knw!lil KId!
Re: Best Way to Punish Kids? by Zahymaka(m): 9:02pm On Apr 27, 2006
One thing I think would strike any child is restricting access to "modern" equipment. For example, instead of cooking with gas, let them use firewood. If they want to wash, deny them access to the washing machine and let them hand-wash.
Re: Best Way to Punish Kids? by mamaput(f): 7:23am On Apr 28, 2006
Zahymaka:

One thing I think would strike any child is restricting access to "modern" equipment. For example, instead of cooking with gas, let them use firewood. If they want to wash, deny them access to the washing machine and let them hand-wash.

that will be punishing my self not my kids.They will be only too happy
Re: Best Way to Punish Kids? by Zahymaka(m): 3:41pm On Apr 28, 2006
mamaput:

that will be punishing my self not my kids.They will be only too happy

How?
Re: Best Way to Punish Kids? by mamaput(f): 4:15pm On Apr 28, 2006
They will only be too happy to PLAY with fire and water.Thats what they will call it .
And its me that will clean the mess
Re: Best Way to Punish Kids? by Zahymaka(m): 4:21pm On Apr 28, 2006
Wow -- you do have some kids. Parenting really is tough.
Re: Best Way to Punish Kids? by memyself2(f): 11:15pm On May 06, 2006
Nwoke:

i don't like it when small children are tortured for what they don't understand. Several mornings i'm woken up with the noise of a child crying "mummy please, muimmy please" and "twap, twap twap". If beating works so well how come you have to beat them so often.

u know what, i totally feel u and different children have different personalities and well, its really the environment that a child grows up in, that determines the kind of child, he/she is gonna be. so dont start correctin the child wit spankin or beatin, there r oda ways, it ticks me off when someone finks violence is the answer. violence has neva worked and it would neva work.
correct a child by deprivin him or her of sumfin they really love, it doesnt have to be p.s or watér, if u r smart u'll fink of sumfin
Re: Best Way to Punish Kids? by SIBLI06(m): 6:29pm On May 07, 2006
Normally give a stern warning first, if that fails tie them up by their ankles and leave them dangling for 1 hour for every year of their life. grin
Re: Best Way to Punish Kids? by memyself2(f): 6:35pm On May 07, 2006
lol, u r kiddin rite? u got to be! smiley
Re: Best Way to Punish Kids? by SIBLI06(m): 12:58pm On May 08, 2006
Yeah I'm kidding!! wink
Re: Best Way to Punish Kids? by kellorah: 4:09am On Jul 10, 2006
the best way is to scold dem(not shout @ dem) and wher thy dnt listen, ground dem
Re: Best Way to Punish Kids? by diddy4(m): 4:15am On Jul 10, 2006
@kellorah

that doesnt apply to my brother at all. he is so stubborn.
Re: Best Way to Punish Kids? by hola2ng(m): 5:53pm On Jul 10, 2006
All the scolding we'all got as kids -has it really made us stronger, or weaker ? tongue tongue lipsrsealed
Re: Best Way to Punish Kids? by kellorah: 5:56pm On Jul 10, 2006
stronger!
Re: Best Way to Punish Kids? by hola2ng(m): 5:59pm On Jul 10, 2006
Oh yea ? shocked
Re: Best Way to Punish Kids? by kellorah: 6:02pm On Jul 10, 2006
yep
Re: Best Way to Punish Kids? by Coco29(f): 6:26pm On Jul 10, 2006
kellorah:

the best way is to scold them(not shout @ them) and wher thy dnt listen, ground them

i do not think you have children, i have four 3 boys and 1 girl they are all different, grounding no longer works for kids, well in the UK more over the law states that if you smack a child and leave a mark it is child abuse for which you can go to prison.

my oldest lord have mercy nothing works! nothing!

my second once i raise my voice to let him know how disappointed i am he will behave for about 2 months before any other problem. grin

my third    undecided  shocked i am still trying to find out if he is mine  grin the child is confuse he has split personalities you will know who you are taking to when he gets up in the morning, some times i have to wait until his teacher calls to say he is breaking the school apart. the thing  with this boy is no matter what the punishment the damn child will turn it in to a game. grin

although i shout and some times i hit i do not believe it is right, i do not want my children to be afraid off me, i want them to respect me as their mother and listen when i speak.
Re: Best Way to Punish Kids? by mamaput(f): 7:31pm On Jul 10, 2006
My kids know that i can be as mad as them if not madder . I have thrown their Pants Nigerian pant out of the window. and if i tell them i will come to their school with pant on my head bright red lipstick to give them a big fat kiss and tell them they forgot their Egg or pickled cucumber or an onion , They will believe me that i can do it
Re: Best Way to Punish Kids? by Coco29(f): 7:38pm On Jul 10, 2006
mamaput you sound like mother, that is what she use to do i hated that made me cry for days. cry
Re: Best Way to Punish Kids? by mamaput(f): 7:47pm On Jul 10, 2006
But it worked did it not . grin grin
When my kids threw themselves on the floor because they wanted sweet from the shop, I too threw myself on the floor and did as if i was crying.
But sometimes i got real radical , If they ran on the road i will twist the hand and tell them i would rather break that hand than let them have an accident.Sometimes when there was a dead heghog on they road, i explained to them thats what happens in an accident .
I only got psychical when it is a matter of life and death, like the running on the road or if they beat me. These are two things i never took from them at any age no matter how small.
And when i shout they all know i mean it and run to my command. But that is because i do not shout often.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Happy Mothers Day, Come Share Your Mums Pic Celebrating Her / My Dad Pursued Me Out Of His House Because I Smoke / How Much Does A Packet Of Disposable Diaper Cost In Nigeria ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.